Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (73 Viewers)

clint van damme

Its nailed on to have been here earlier. Adamant the second wave was what we experienced in March April. More and more things pointing to this

I don't think the article points to the pre Christmas cases being the first wave the way I read it.

Like you I've thought the virus was here pre Christmas, but couldn't understand why, if we weren't recognising cases as Covid, wasn't there a spike in cases of other illnesses, flu, pneumonia etc.
The article gives the explanation that there simply weren't enough cases for it to transmit at the rates it started to this year from March onward.
It sounds like a reasonable explanation to me but also suggests to me that pre Christmas was just the start of what transpired from February/March.

fernandopartridge

Let's hope that what they're saying is reflecting the virus mutuating and weakening. That said:
Dr Zangrillo, the long-time physician of former premier Silvio Berlusconi, said some experts were too alarmist about the prospect of a second wave of coronavirus infections and suggested that politicians needed to take into account the new reality.

....and he works in a private hospital, not any of the public ones overwhelmed by COVID.

At least the Italian media attempt to publish some balance (google translate):

Even the epidemiologist Pierluigi Lopalco, Emiliano's consultant in Puglia, thinks so. "If we have fewer cases and with few or non-existent symptoms, it is not because the virus has changed but for a purely epidemilogical fact. With the distancing and the masks, even those who came into contact with positive people have assimilated a smaller quantity of viruses, so the antibodies have neutralized it or if there has been an infection, it has not had the tragic consequences of the past months ».

fernandopartridge

I don't think the article points to the pre Christmas cases being the first wave the way I read it.

Like you I've thought the virus was here pre Christmas, but couldn't understand why, if we weren't recognising cases as Covid, wasn't there a spike in cases of other illnesses, flu, pneumonia etc.
The article gives the explanation that there simply weren't enough cases for it to transmit at the rates it started to this year from March onward.
It sounds like a reasonable explanation to me but also suggests to me that pre Christmas was just the start of what transpired from February/March.

Not sure about that, I hear plenty of people (not you) arguing that COVID doesn't exist because they don't know anybody who has had it. Yet on the other hand, people are attempting to argue it was here earlier.

clint van damme

Not sure about that, I hear plenty of people (not you) arguing that COVID doesn't exist because they don't know anybody who has had it. Yet on the other hand, people are attempting to argue it was here earlier.

to be honest, even if it was here earlier, but it was only a small number of cases then I don't see how much can be learnt from that information.

NorthernWisdom

It doesn't even say there *were* any.

Salient quotes.

“People are on heightened awareness about any sort of respiratory infection and it is easy to retrofit stories to things,”

"possible"

"possible"

"“cannot exclude the possibility"

Doesn't say anywhere it was here.

shmmeee

There’s two things here:

- When precisely did the first case arrive in the U.K.?
- What is the shape and time scale of the first major outbreak here?

People are conflating the first with the second to give credence to their conspiracy theories.

A small outbreak a week or two before what we previously thought was the first case does not mean it’s been ripping through the population for months and it’s all overblown.

clint van damme

There’s two things here:

- When precisely did the first case arrive in the U.K.?
- What is the shape and time scale of the first major outbreak here?

People are conflating the first with the second to give credence to their conspiracy theories.

A small outbreak a week or two before what we previously thought was the first case does not mean it’s been ripping through the population for months and it’s all overblown.

exactly. Even if it was here it explains why it could have gone undetected.
So even if proven, which I think there's a god chance it will be as in France, it will have been the very beginning of the wave we are experiencing now.

The second wave is still to come, lets hope the Italian fella FP quoted is correct and the measures people are taking are exposing them to lower doses and minimising the affect of the virus.

Ian1779

Did the Chinese start this? Yes or no?
The Chinese are guilty of mass murder. What is it about criticism of another country you hate? Weird as fuck.

You need to lay off the click-bait. This is straight out of the Trump appreciation Facebook page.

Is it because the Chinese are raging lefties?

SkyBlueDom26

Cases very low again 1500, deaths 111 lowest since lockdown began! Also great news that Spain hasn’t recorded a single death in the last 24 hours

clint van damme

Cases very low again 1500, deaths 111 lowest since lockdown began! Also great news that Spain hasn’t recorded a single death in the last 24 hours

fucking hell Dom, weekend lag! Though I think it may be less than the last couple of Mondays (or Tuesdays for Bank holiday weekends).

SkyBlueDom26

fucking hell Dom, weekend lag! Though I think it may be less than the last couple of Mondays (or Tuesdays for Bank holiday weekends).
Yes I fucking know it’s weekend lag on the deaths, but it’s good news cases are coming right down? There is no lag with the cases

With the Lag you need to look at the Monday trends to see

NorthernWisdom

giphy.gif

Sumo the Micky Quinn

No, it was legislated it wasn't guidelines. I was responding to the specific point about exercise.

Well according to my wife's uncle (a police officer in Bedfordshire) back in March, he said his guidelines were;

1. Politely ask people to move on.
2. If they don't, take then home not to a cell.

He was having conversations with my wife and wished he had the power the Spanish police had, by fineing people on the spot.

clint van damme

Yes I fucking know it’s weekend lag on the deaths, but it’s good news cases are coming right down? There is no lag with the cases

it is good but its coming down to slowly for me but maybe i'm just been unreasonable.
I just want to get out of lockdown and more importantly, i want to stay out of it.

Ian1779

What relevance has that got to do with the point made? We aren’t sending every single school back
They have 0 deaths and still think the risk is too great. There’s little point in quoting success for another country when our country pales into comparison and you then don’t get the scrutiny...

David O'Day

it is good but its coming down to slowly for me but maybe i'm just been unreasonable.
I just want to get out of lockdown and more importantly, i want to stay out of it.
No you are not, we need to slow down until we have at least got the community transmissions down.

They estimate that there are up to 8000 a day still and because tracing will not reduce transmission only keep it from going up.

This means we could be looking at 80 deaths a day as a normal figure.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

To be fair that is the lowest Monday death toll I can remember. Let's get a week below 100 before relaxing things further.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

They have 0 deaths and still think the risk is too great. There’s little point in quoting success for another country when our country pales into comparison and you then don’t get the scrutiny...

SpIn started this easing of lockdown 5 weeks ago. Most of us are in phase 3 (starting today) schools reopening are part of phase 4 (due in 2 weeks time & only if certain criteria is met). All our phases are opening things little by little.
Madrid and Barcelona have finally entered phase 1 today, their infection figures finally meet the criteria.

A lot of people think we have done some things too early, but unlike the UK government in Spain is a co-alition and opposition parties want things opening quicker. We are waiting to have our lockdown extended by law (officially ends 7th June, has been extended by 2 weeks every Wednesday before the earlier deadlines), but opposition parties are opposing this. The lockdown needs extending in law, to allow the easing to take place otherwise no lockdown and everything is back 'to normal' with immediate effect.

Grendel

Ian1779

SpIn started this easing of lockdown 5 weeks ago. Most of us are in phase 3 (starting today) schools reopening are part of phase 4 (due in 2 weeks time & only if certain criteria is met). All our phases are opening things little by little.
Madrid and Barcelona have finally entered phase 1 today, their infection figures finally meet the criteria.

A lot of people think we have done some things too early, but unlike the UK government in Spain is a co-alition and opposition parties want things opening quicker. We are waiting to have our lockdown extended by law (officially ends 7th June, has been extended by 2 weeks every Wednesday before the earlier deadlines), but opposition parties are opposing this. The lockdown needs extending in law, to allow the easing to take place otherwise no lockdown and everything is back 'to normal' with immediate effect.

If the UK was recording the figures Spain was then there would be far less concern and criticism of the government’s approach.

As people have already said on here - we’re opening up with higher figures than when we locked down. And even if someone wanted to argue that direction of trajectory it falls apart because the government either don’t how how many they’ve tested daily (or they won’t tell us) and their ‘world beating’ track and trace system is about as good as Labours 2019 Brexit policy.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

My apology from above. Not having kids at school anymore.
My wife just informed me we are in our final phase today, schools can go back today, however they breakup in 2 weeks time for summer holidays. Schools are reopening for administration purposes, to allow children and parents to go into school and sort out all their paper of administration for the next school year. The internet here is not set up the same as the UK and most paperwork can only be done face to face.
Very frustrating.

Brighton Sky Blue

My apology from above. Not having kids at school anymore.
My wife just informed me we are in our final phase today, schools can go back today, however they breakup in 2 weeks time for summer holidays. Schools are reopening for administration purposes, to allow children and parents to go into school and sort out all their paper of administration for the next school year. The internet here is not set up the same as the UK and most paperwork can only be done face to face.
Very frustrating.

I have been told today that we are to carry out socially distanced practical work with Y10 and 12 in a few weeks time. Of course, the technicians are on furlough and we will also have to remotely cater for the younger ones during the day. It will be about 10 students at a time

Ian1779

I have been told today that we are to carry out socially distanced practical work with Y10 and 12 in a few weeks time. Of course, the technicians are on furlough and we will also have to remotely cater for the younger ones during the day. It will be about 10 students at a time

We’ve been discussing having Y10 in for 2 hours 3 days a week on a 2 week cycle (we have 2 bands) but only about 80 kids out of 240 have signed up to come in. So they’ll have 6 hours of school every 2 weeks. We have to continue to provide online learning for all of them so any kids that come in will have to do something different and additional to plan.

Users who are viewing this thread