Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (32 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Maybe it's an effort by Boris to see how shit a job he can do and still get net approval

PVA

Oh dear.

From YouGov:

% of Britons who feel they know what each slogan is asking them to do:

"Stay home, Protect the NHS, Save lives" - 91%
"Stay alert, Control the virus, Save lives" - 30%

djr8369

Oh dear.

From YouGov:

% of Britons who feel they know what each slogan is asking them to do:

"Stay home, Protect the NHS, Save lives" - 91%
"Stay alert, Control the virus, Save lives" - 30%

Understandable. As I said earlier it’s meaningless as doesn’t really convert any information. Unless it’s supposed to mean “basically carry on as before” in which case don’t change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David O'Day

I remember so it seems that the uk public is turning against the government
63465e3a6f3b3c4b59c8ce82b8a97bed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Skybluefaz

It's already happening, see a lot of Johnson supporters saying it's clear that what he was saying was use your common sense. People will be blamed for their own death because they didn't use their common sense. Stupid people.

djr8369

It's already happening, see a lot of Johnson supporters saying it's clear that what he was saying was use your common sense. People will be blamed for their own death because they didn't use their common sense. Stupid people.

Yeah, scandalous really as clearly common sense will mean different things to different people and you have to also weigh that judgement up against other factors like pressure to get to work. Essentially contracting the decision making process and responsibility to the individual. This is of course one of the ideological concepts of conservatism which implies ideology is governing the response rather than science or what’s best for the nation.

clint van damme

I honestly thing the senior Tories need to do something. This mob are absolutely useless.
Get rid and bring in some experienced heads. Johnson clearly isn't up to it.
He's had a reputation for being lazy and uninterested in every position he's held and it's showing.
I appreciate he was ill but the tweet earlier from the FT showing how few appearances he's made since the start of the year was damning.

Who knows, maybe some of his cabinet might perform a bit better under a proper leader. I doubt it because they appear go be a bunch of cretins but you never know

fernandopartridge

Does anybody know the methodology for calculating 'R'? Assuming R is very different in different places, is the "between 0.5 and 0.9" really a weighted average of different local areas?

fernandopartridge

I honestly thing the senior Tories need to do something. This mob are absolutely useless.
He's had a reputation for being lazy and uninterested in every position he's held and it's showing.
I appreciate he was ill but the tweet earlier from the FT showing how few appearances he's made since the start of the year was damning.

Who knows, maybe some of his cabinet might perform a bit better under a proper leader. I doubt it because they appear go be a bunch of cretins but you never know

Sorry clint - what do you mean senior tories? Boris Johnson is a senior tory. This is all they have. This is their absolute limitations exposed. The Conservative party is a rotten rotten entity whose sole purpose is to support further enrichment of the very wealthy. If anybody else gets some coincidental crumbs from the table then good, they can be a rump of voters to rely on.

Ian1779

Does anybody know the methodology for calculating 'R'? Assuming R is very different in different places, is the "between 0.5 and 0.9" really a weighted average of different local areas?

The real R or that shower of shite R he put on his PPT slide yesterday?

clint van damme

Sorry clint - what do you mean senior tories? Boris Johnson is a senior tory. This is all they have. This is their absolute limitations exposed. The Conservative party is a rotten rotten entity whose sole purpose is to support further enrichment of the very wealthy. If anybody else gets some coincidental crumbs from the table then good, they can be a rump of voters to rely on.

We always hear off there grandees in the background. Maybe they could get Cameron or May or even Hague back.

I know that sounds desperate because they're not exactly.political heavyweights but that's how poor I think Johnson is performing.
At least they'd show up for work!
I honestly think his tenure is going to be viewed as catastrophic and we need rid ASAP.

clint van damme

shmmeee

Yeah and it’s always an estimate. Thing I saw said you get different R values depending on whether you’re looking at deaths (accurate but time lagged) or cases (more recent but dependent on test strategy) and that R values from one place can’t be used to inform other areas. So you will get a different R depending on if say you’re looking at care home deaths in the Midlands or overall cases in London, then you weight and adjust for time depending on what you want to look at. So an overall R for the U.K. would be of limited utility.

PVA

Well this is going to end well isn't it?

Just utterly unbelievable. I cannot believe what is happening.

Does Boris like killing people or something?

David O'Day

We always hear off there grandees in the background. Maybe they could get Cameron or May or even Hague back.

I know that sounds desperate because they're not exactly.political heavyweights but that's how poor I think Johnson is performing.
I honestly think his tenure is going to be viewed as catastrophic and we need rid ASAP.
The grandees have gone.

The last of the real back bench big cats stood down at the last election.

There is a serious lack of talent on the parliamentary conservative party

djr8369

As many said could have had an emergency cabinet of national unity. Would have worked in their favour as they share the blame of any mistakes. Now it’s all on them.

chiefdave

In the U.K. we are basically making a rough estimate as we aren’t carrying out enough testing to give an accurate R number.

We’re taking the data we do have, such as deaths and hospitalisations, and trying to extrapolate that to give an R number but who knows how accurate it is. Some calculations give a huge range, have seen things like its between 0.5 and 1.5.

PVA

Unfortunately all the sensible Tories, and there were some very good ones, got sacked after they dared to oppose dear Boris, or resigned.

The likes of Grieve, Clarke, Stewart, Gauke, Letwin etc. All good politicians with the country's best interest at heart.

Now we're stuck with this utter clown show, a cabinet picked on their Brexit stance rather than their abilities.

David O'Day

Unfortunately all the sensible Tories, and there were some very good ones, got sacked after they dared to oppose dear Boris, or resigned.

The likes of Grieve, Clarke, Stewart, Gauke, Letwin etc. All good politicians with the country's best interest at heart.

Now we're stuck with this utter clown show, a cabinet picked on their Brexit stance rather than their abilities.
They even sacked Julian Smith even though he was the only cabinet member to be successful at his brief.

Terry Gibson's perm

Well this is going to end well isn't it?

Just utterly unbelievable. I cannot believe what is happening.

Does Boris like killing people or something?

It was always going to happen the people of London are the most self important people with no patience

fernandopartridge

Cameron oversaw 6 years of austerity which has completely stripped away the government's capacity to act. Why can't we quarantine flights coming in? Partly because the UK Border Force has been cut significantly most notably post 2010, May of course was Home Secretary at the time of all this.

As for Hague, his voting record is straight out of the same book as the rest.

Ian1779

Yeah and it’s always an estimate. Thing I saw said you get different R values depending on whether you’re looking at deaths (accurate but time lagged) or cases (more recent but dependent on test strategy) and that R values from one place can’t be used to inform other areas. So you will get a different R depending on if say you’re looking at care home deaths in the Midlands or overall cases in London, then you weight and adjust for time depending on what you want to look at. So an overall R for the U.K. would be of limited utility.
This is why putting something so arbitrary as that graph up last night to explain something complex like this is so unhelpful. I know people may say that you need to present something that is easy to understand but is just plain misleading. Especially when the consequences can cost lives.

Users who are viewing this thread