Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (34 Viewers)

djr8369

Any idea of any the guideance from the EFL towards the clubs themseleves? Are they telling/asking their players to self isolate, hoping they'll all be fit in a couple of weeks? Are they allowing them to train together but take appropriate measures (wash hands etc)?

No idea. From reporting it sounds like clubs are taking the decision to isolate once there is one case in the club? This kind of goes against government advice but I guess a premier league player is a valuable asset to a business. Maybe this has forced the leagues to delay, again against government advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djr8369

Trouble is there is only a handful of teams in each league that won’t want the season voided. The teams at the bottom will want it voided and the teams in the middle won’t care. I know for certain the comments on here would be different if we were down the bottom.

Been saying this. It’s a genuine risk now. Hopefully season can be played out.

djr8369

As previous, look at all of the contradictory viewpoints, also from respected scientists. This, “you’re not an expert so shouldn’t comment” is a patently farcical argument when there are so many other theories from equally respected scientists, on offer.

Of course, if you’re coming at it from a position of thinking that it’s either trivial, and/or are a bit upset that we’re going to miss some footy, then obviously you’ll accept the outlier position put forward by this government without further analysis.

That’s entirely your choice, but don’t kid yourself that there’s only one rational science-based position to take here, because that’s simply not true.

Only the opinion of very specific experts, listened to by a government which hates experts, for a very specific period of time counts.

Kieranp96

No idea. From reporting it sounds like clubs are taking the decision to isolate once there is one case in the club? This kind of goes against government advice but I guess a premier league player is a valuable asset to a business. Maybe this has forced the leagues to delay, again against government advice.

They do shower together and hug and kiss ext ect so best to be safe than sorry.

djr8369

No matter what your view of him, the idea that they are somehow sitting in a hollowed-out volcano working out a strategy to use this virus as a tool to somehow kill off a sizeable number of the very people who put them into power - pulling along with them eminent scientists and doctors, well, it doesn't deserve a response. We're not living in a Bond movie. At that Cobra meeting yesterday, the mood would have been sombre and serious and the aim to devise a strategy to minimise the spread and associated deaths. If it wasn't, Sturgeon would have been shouting her dissent from the rooftop. It's a batshit theory. You can argue they've got the strategy wrong, but it won't be because they're all feeling a bit homicidal.

Yes a persons personal experience of Cummings being reckless equates to thinking he’s a super villain working out of a volcano. Get a grip, you’re trying to pretend you’re the reasonable one here.

theferret

Yes a persons personal experience of Cummings being reckless equates to thinking he’s a super villain working out of a volcano. Get a grip, you’re trying to pretend you’re the reasonable one here.

I was clearly exaggerating to make a point. Also, and this is my bad, the point was really in response to other posts within the thread that suggested he is behind Government policy on this issue and that the scientists are dancing to his tune. I was in the middle of a spat so the response to this post viewed in isolation probably doesn't make much sense. Noted.

djr8369

I was clearly exaggerating to make a point. Also, and this is my bad, the point was really in response to other posts within the thread that suggested he is behind Government policy on this issue and that the scientists are dancing to his tune. I was in the middle of a spat so the response to this post viewed in isolation probably doesn't make much sense. Noted.

Fair response. I do wonder if there’s some truth in it though, hear me out. Our strategy is very unorthodox. From a pure logic and medical perspective our plan seems a good idea but it’s likely to be a disaster politically and is buckling already (see major events and sports being cancelled).

If the medical boffins presented several plans our plan seems the exact type thing Cummings would get behind. Very few governments would accept our plan of “herd immunity” via infection.

theferret

Fair response. I do wonder if there’s some truth in it though, hear me out. Our strategy is very unorthodox. From a pure logic and medical perspective our plan seems a good idea but it’s likely to be a disaster politically and is buckling already (see major events and sports being cancelled).

If the medical boffins presented several plans our plan seems the exact type thing Cummings would get behind. Very few governments would accept our plan of “herd immunity” via infection.

I genuinely believe the government are acting on the advice they have been given. There is nothing to be gained from not doing that. I'm not entirely convinced by the policy myself if I'm honest. As a layman I do understand the reasoning, I understand the desire to avoid the 2nd wave etc., but perhaps there is a case for going full-tilt at preventing the spread now and therefore buy time for vaccines and/or more effectuve treatments to be developed between now and the 2nd wave (if it happens). I am not swallowing the government line on this completely, but am questioning the notion that there are political motivations at play. That's all really.

djr8369

I genuinely believe the government are acting on the advice they have been given. There is nothing to be gained from not doing that. I'm not entirely convinced by the policy myself if I'm honest. As a layman I do understand the reasoning, I understand the desire to avoid the 2nd wave etc., but perhaps there is a case for going full-tilt at preventing the spread now and therefore buy time for vaccines and/or more effectuve treatments to be developed between now and the 2nd wave (if it happens). I am not swallowing the government line on this completely, but am questioning the notion that there are political motivations at play. That's all really.

I’ve no doubt they’re acting on the advice given but so is every other country and nobody has adopted our strategy. As I said I’m a previous post, it may be proved to be the right strategy in the long term but that doesn’t mean it’s political prudent.

I don’t think there are political motivations at play per se but I think there’s a possibility that the government was presented several options and Cummings went for this alternative strategy. There’s no reason for the medical professionals not to get behind this strategy if it’s one they presented and makes sense on paper.

theferret

I’ve no doubt they’re acting on the advice given but so is every other country and nobody has adopted our strategy. As I said I’m a previous post, it may be proved to be the right strategy in the long term but that doesn’t mean it’s political prudent.

I don’t think there are political motivations at play per se but I think there’s a possibility that the government was presented several options and Cummings went for this alternative strategy. There’s no reason for the medical professionals not to get behind this strategy if it’s one they presented and makes sense on paper.

I guess it's possible, although you'd think all options would have been discussed in the Cobra meeting and how much sway he would hold in that setting I don't know. I also suspect it was never the intention to use the term 'herd immunity', perfectly acceptable scientific terminology but not words a politician would use (you can see the fall-out from it today). You're going to tell me it was Boris who used it first, but I'm sure it was Vallance. I think.

Ring Of Steel

I think it is hard to argue that he is not behind government policy.

Jcap

I live here permanently and this is my second time, been back since Jan 2019 and was over here for over 3 years before. I’ve lived mostly in the north east but spent 10 months in western Sicily. I’m working for an Italian company but working on setting up my own business and it’s going very well and already have a good mixture of UK and Italian clients, so hopefully this won’t impact it.
My partner works in the health service and she is beyond anxious at the moment, it really is very difficult at the moment. I was a little more blase about it up until this week but now it’s starting to actually get very difficult, the psychological impact of not actually being able to properly move around or even leave the country is quite surreal to be honest!
Shits got real. Hope it all works out for you both. Stay safe and healthy!

alfielloyd

it is bollocks, the measures taken in the majority of countries are driven by one factor, money. shut down footy which is predominantly an outdoor event but allow bars, schools and music venues, predominantly indoor activities to remain open.

Ring Of Steel

It’s Cummings all over. Unorthadox, looking to hire ‘weirdos’, applying a Darwinian point of view to strategies, I cannot see how anyone doesn’t recognise Cummings playbook in action here, just as we’ve seen with everything else.

Nobody is saying he is trying to kill people, the point is that our approach is clearly from the Cummings worldview, which is at odds with every other country on the face of the earth- and now we’ll see what happens.

Ring Of Steel

I meet you half way, I agree with you apart from the view that there are no political motivations at play. Nobody is saying that, what they are saying is that the views, values and thoughts of a person who shapes and directs policy is clearly influencing what we are doing. And not because he’s acting in party interests, that’s just the way he thinks. He’s a Darwinist, he believes in game theory, and if we’re gonna use a layman’s term- he’s completely ruthless. Which isn’t to say he’s hell bent on wiping out older people, but everything he’s said and done so far indicates that he sees everything in terms of ‘winning at all costs’. Look him up, see his history.

djr8369

I guess it's possible, although you'd think all options would have been discussed in the Cobra meeting and how much sway he would hold in that setting I don't know. I also suspect it was never the intention to use the term 'herd immunity', perfectly acceptable scientific terminology but not words a politician would use (you can see the fall-out from it today). You're going to tell me it was Boris who used it first, but I'm sure it was Vallance. I think.

Yes I think all options would be discussed but I think he’d have a lot of sway in a meeting. BJ, in some ways, has no idea and no motive.

Absolutely agree “herd mentality” was an accident and was mentioned by one of the scientists. As that seeps into public consciousness the reaction will only get worse. You’re right they’re words a politician wouldn’t use and Cummings isn’t a politician.

David O'Day

I genuinely think this is the sensible course of action. The WHO method is trying to hit a home run and wipe out the virus. That worked with smaller epidemics but if it fails and the virus r4turns you are right back at square 1. With the PHE method you relegate the virus to j6st another seasonal virus.

Ring Of Steel

I genuinely think this is the sensible course of action. The WHO method is trying to hit a home run and wipe out the virus. That worked with smaller epidemics but if it fails and the virus r4turns you are right back at square 1. With the PHE method you relegate the virus to j6st another seasonal virus.

You know you’ve made some transformation, one minute you’re calling people a c**t & lashing out at Grendel & co, now you’re bloody Dr Kildare :)

Grendel

Thought it was all social media hyperbole?

Well it is which is why it’s going to be a bull market?

Ring Of Steel

Yes I think all options would be discussed but I think he’d have a lot of sway in a meeting. BJ, in some ways, has no idea and no motive.

Absolutely agree “herd mentality” was an accident and was mentioned by one of the scientists. As that seeps into public consciousness the reaction will only get worse. You’re right they’re words a politician wouldn’t use and Cummings isn’t a politician.

lol did someone say ‘mentality’ instead of immunity?

djr8369

Certainly the overarching idea seems sound but is high risk and is going to come under immense public pressure.

CCFCSteve

It’s Cummings all over. Unorthadox, looking to hire ‘weirdos’, applying a Darwinian point of view to strategies, I cannot see how anyone doesn’t recognise Cummings playbook in action here, just as we’ve seen with everything else.

Nobody is saying he is trying to kill people, the point is that our approach is clearly from the Cummings worldview, which is at odds with every other country on the face of the earth- and now we’ll see what happens.

I like having a bit of banter with you ROS but you have ignored what I’ve put on a couple of threads about Mayor Khan following exactly the same advice, from exactly the same medical/scientific advisors to the government (direct and undiluted he said) so unless you’re saying that Cummings is controlling the him (and the medical and scientific advisors) as well, I think maybe you should keep you politically based conspiracy views to yourself. There’s enough conflicting medical advice and confusion without this sort of nonsense

Ring Of Steel

I like having a bit of banter with you ROS but you have ignored what I’ve put on a couple of threads about Mayor Khan following exactly the same advice, from exactly the same medical/scientific advisors to the government (direct and undiluted he said) so unless you’re saying that Cummings is controlling the him (and the medical and scientific advisors) as well, I think maybe you should keep you politically based conspiracy views to yourself. There’s enough conflicting medical advice and confusion without this sort of nonsense

What about Khan?

No conspiracy here, all fact. You can go check if you like.

And yes, maybe you’re right- I can see how a guy like me posting on a Coventry City forum is going to cause mass confusion across the country, I will draft a statement for the BBC to air later on.

D

Deleted member 4439

A bull market or back to previous levels?

Bull market it aint and you'd think they'd be another US dip on Monday after yet another relief rally/dead cat bounce. What I can't get over though, even with oil prices temporarily suppressed by the oil price war, is just how much the big oilies have fallen, almost unprecedented. Trump took the piss a bit today by saying 'you sell it cheap, we'll stockpile it cheap'. I've gambled quite some on a rebound over the next 3-6 mths -12 mths for a decent recovery - but things look a bit red at the moment!

Sky Blue Harry H

Yes but if the aim now is to hide everybody away, when everybody steps outside their door in a month's time they will just catch it then.
To be fair, if everybody hid away for a month, the virus would have died out as it would have had nowhere to go (unless a largish group/family stayed together and passed it along to each other during the month)

fernandopartridge

I genuinely believe the government have framed the question around this idea of herd immunity.

usskyblue

Now this would be a karmafuck

covid19_in_toilet_paper_covid_19_coronavirus.png

Users who are viewing this thread