Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (28 Viewers)

CCFCSteve

What about Khan?

No conspiracy here, all fact. You can go check if you like.

And yes, maybe you’re right- I can see how a guy like me posting on a Coventry City forum is going to cause mass confusion across the country, I will draft a statement for the BBC to air later on.

So Mayor Khan is following Cummings advice ?

He said explicitly in an interview that he was following the same medical and scientific advice (directly and undiluted) as the government and agreed with it

PS did I say mass confusion ?

CCFCSteve

To be fair, if everybody hid away for a month, the virus would have died out as it would have had nowhere to go (unless a largish group/family stayed together and passed it along to each other during the month)
To be fair, if everybody hid away for a month, the virus would have died out as it would have had nowhere to go (unless a largish group/family stayed together and passed it along to each other during the month)

you’d have to have total lock down with no public interaction ?

PVA

So now the government have announced all mass gatherings will be cancelled.

Like we all said they should. (well not all, a few in here happy to trust Boris).

Finally seen sense and caught up with the rest of the world.

CCFCSteve

Like we all said they should. (well not all, a few in here happy to trust Boris).

From next weekend. Which is pretty much what they were am indicating in the press conference yesterday ie very soon

Let’s be honest its pretty irrelevant anyway as most organisations have gone against the advice and banned/cancelled them anyway

Ring Of Steel

So Mayor Khan is following Cummings advice ?

He said explicitly in an interview that he was following the same medical and scientific advice (directly and undiluted) as the government and agreed with it

PS did I say mass confusion ?

What does Khan have to do with anything?

PVA

From next weekend. Which is pretty much what they were am indicating in the press conference yesterday ie very soon

Let’s be honest its pretty irrelevant anyway as most organisations have gone against the advice and banned/cancelled them anyway

Yesterday they were saying there is no point in cancelling mass gatherings at this stage.

The PL and EFL have done their job for them today and I think they've caved in to the pressure.

Ring Of Steel

Is that true? If it is then what an embarrassment for everyone banging on about “it’s the right thing to do to wait” etc, how long did that last- a day?

(I am in the pub, I have no idea if it’s true or not)

Ring Of Steel

Yesterday they were saying there is no point in cancelling mass gatherings at this stage.

The PL and EFL have done their job for them today and I think they've caved in to the pressure.

The “expert” was on TV earlier saying how closing mass gatherings was not effective, talk about egg on face time.

theferret

It could also be that Boris has realised that the advice he has received and set policy around is potentially hugely damaging to him politically so he is taking some control.

It's exactly what I'd do, I'd cover my arse big time.

Ring Of Steel

‘Let’s be honest’, this is highly embarrassing, they are essentially admitting they got it wrong.

So now we know who really was right.

CCFCSteve

What does Khan have to do with anything?

He is in control of London (and decisions that affect 9m people and the most concentrated population of the country), he is from the Labour Party (so nothing to do with the government and their advisors), he isn’t involved in the cobra meetings (incorrect in my view but again separate from their decision making process) and has said his decisions in relation to London are based from the direct advice from the chief medical and scientific officers ie NOT CUMMINGS (just to be clear)

PVA

Is that true? If it is then what an embarrassment for everyone banging on about “it’s the right thing to do to wait” etc, how long did that last- a day?

(I am in the pub, I have no idea if it’s true or not)

Hasn't been officially announced yet but all the papers are reporting it.

Embarrassing for Boris. What an utterly woeful and incompetent response from the government so far.

It'll be interesting to hear what those who have been defending him and his experts all day have to say about this...

Ring Of Steel

He is in control of London (and decisions that affect 9m people and the most concentrated population only the country), he is from the Labour Party (so nothing to do with the government and their advisors), he isn’t involved in the cobra meetings (incorrect in my view but again separate from their decision making process) and has said his decisions in relation to London are based from the direct advice from the chief medical and scientific officers ie NOT CUMMINGS (just to be clear)
You mean the same scientific advisors who just had to admit they were wrong? Ok I see.

Ring Of Steel

Embarrassing for Boris. What an utterly woeful and incompetent response from the government so far.

It'll be interesting to hear what those who have been defending him and his experts all day have to say about this...

1. Most will go quiet now
2. Some will get all indignant and pretend this was the plan all along
3. David O Day is exempt as I like his posts :)

shmmeee

It could also be that Boris has realised that the advice he has received and set policy around is potentially hugely damaging to him politically so he is taking some control.

It's exactly what I'd do, I'd cover my arse big time.

Amazing. Boris does something “this is the best advice scientifically and he is a genius ahead of the rest of the world.” Boris does the opposite “this is so much smarter than those silly scientific advisors and Boris is a genius for following the rest of the world”.

Talk about Teflon.

PVA

Rubbish. He’d have done it immediately or yesterday when everyone was saying to do it

Huh? Just yesterday they were saying there is no need to do it, it's not going to help anything.

The PL and EFL basically said f*** you Boris, you're wrong, we need to cancel.

He has now followed suit 24 hours later.

It's embarrassing all round for him.

Ring Of Steel

I refer you to my responses in relation to major khan

Lol- Khan again.

I’m gonna spell it out for you.

The experts are now apparently wrong.
You got it massively wrong.
It looks like dear old Khan got it wrong.
The rest of the world got it right.

You have nowhere left to go on this.

Ring Of Steel

Huh? Just yesterday they were saying there is no need to do it, it's not going to help anything.

I doubt he’ll care. I don’t blame people for believing the ‘experts’ over the rest of the planet, but once again- you put your faith in anything Boris says and you’re without fail going to end up looking like a moron.

Reactions: PVA

theferret

Say about what? I doubt the scientists and doctors will have changed their views on how to tackle this one iota. The graphs and pie charts won't look any different today from what they did yesterday. What's happened is that public pressure has forced a change.

They will argue that this was part of the plan, which it was in that they saw it at as future measure they would employ when the time is right (they said that yesterday) but clearly they have brought this forward. Like I said earlier, I wasn't convinced by their approach anyway, so I'm glad, but this strikes me as a political move more than anything.

CCFCSteve

Amazing. Boris does something “this is the best advice scientifically and he is a genius ahead of the rest of the world.” Boris does the opposite “this is so much smarter than those silly scientific advisors and Boris is a genius for following the rest of the world”.

Talk about Teflon.

Not sure it’s Teflon. I think it undermines him and the advice they’ve been giving to be honest even though it’s not really any different. Rather than saying yesterday that they would keep mass gatherings under review they should’ve just said it’s likely to be in the next week or two when we cancel them.

As I say, I personally think it’s been taken out of their hands by most large events of significance being cancelled anyway

Ring Of Steel

Not sure it’s Teflon. I think it undermines him and the advice they’ve been giving to be honest even though it’s not really any different. Rather than saying yesterday that they would keep mass gatherings under review they should’ve just said it’s likely to be in the next week or two when we cancel them.

As I say, I personally think it’s been taken out of their hands by most large events of significance being cancelled anyway

when are you gonna learn? They are pathological liars, incompetent and useless. You’ve been made to look a right chump banging on about how right they are, try and learn the lesson this time.

PVA

Talk about Teflon.

Amazing isn't it.

People really will do anything to defend a lying, lazy, racist, homophobic charlatan who in a shocking turn of events turns out to be an appalling Prime Minister. Bizarre.

Ring Of Steel

Say about what? I doubt the scientists and doctors will have changed their views on how to tackle this one iota. The graphs and pie charts won't look any different today from what they did yesterday. What's happened is that public pressure has forced a change.

They will argue that this was part of the plan, which it was in that they saw it at as future measure they would employ when the time is right (they said that yesterday) but clearly they have brought this forward. Like I said earlier, I wasn't convinced by their approach anyway, so I'm glad, but this strikes me as a political move more than anything.

You just said that there was no political element to all this?

And if it is political then they’re now putting popularity over what they think will save lives- nice bunch.

CCFCSteve

He said social distancing is currently under review and will continue to be and that further measures are likely ?

PVA

Yeah it's been taken out of their hands because everyone can see how absurd it is to carry on as we are.

The fact that it's taken other people and organisations to do what the Prime Minister should have done says it all.

Users who are viewing this thread