Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (36 Viewers)

chiefdave

I just watched it back and yeah, it’s pretty confusing. But what strikes me more is how unconvincing Boris looks, I don’t think he has a clue, he’s just reading the autocue with the odd pumped fist for effect, he’s embarrassingly bad and about as ‘unstatesmanlike’ as anyone could be.
Thought similar. The worrying thing is that was prerecorded, presumably as they don't trust him not to mess it up live. But given its prerecorded and therefore could have taken multiple takes the implication is that was as good and as clear as they could get it.

Johnsons performance was like someone who had been drafted in at the last minute and given a quick briefing just before going on air.
The impression I'm sort of getting from Johnson is a hidden "get back to work scum" hidden inside a massive dollop of craving popularity by easing lockdown a bit because people are getting sick of it. But make it massively ambiguous so if/when it goes tits up you can blame the public rather than the advice you've given.
Said that earlier in the week. Keep hinting that lockdown is over so people go out over the weekend then announce something different but push everyone back to work. When the numbers inevitably shoot up again blame it on the people who broke the lockdown.

chiefdave

Looks like after july the furlough amount will be 60 percent
Won't be happy if that comes in. Like many others I had to agree to be furloughed as my employment contract didn't cover it.

There's a big difference between people getting 80% of their salary, which once you take off the cost of commuting for a lot of people isn't a huge hit (obviously the nearer min wage you are the worse it is) and getting 60%.

Question is do you now get a chance to say no to the new terms?

Ring Of Steel

Won't be happy if that comes in. Like many others I had to agree to be furloughed as my employment contract didn't cover it.

There's a big difference between people getting 80% of their salary, which once you take off the cost of commuting for a lot of people isn't a huge hit (obviously the nearer min wage you are the worse it is) and getting 60%.

Question is do you now get a chance to say no to the new terms?

Contract law still stands. You need to agree to the drop. If they did that without speaking to you first they have a problem. However it’s risky because if you refused (and assuming your company wasn’t going to top it up) you’d likely be put in at “at risk” pool

chiefdave

Contract law still stands. You need to agree to the drop. If they did that without speaking to you first they have a problem. However it’s risky because if you refused (and assuming your company wasn’t going to top it up) you’d likely be put in at “at risk” pool
That was the issue the first time round. In reality it was take this or potentially lose your job although you'd assume if they wanted to start making people redundant they couldn't just go with people who refused furlough and would have to go though the usual process.

My concern here was it would push people towards quitting and therefore not being entitled to any redundancy but thinking about it as benefits are generally so low you're probably better off staying on the 60% while looking for another job.

Worrying this is become a trend though. People are being told to do things and the government will look after them then the rules are being changed. It was the same with council funding. Councils were told to spend whatever was needed and the government would cover it but now its time to pay the bill its not happening.

David O'Day

That was the issue the first time round. In reality it was take this or potentially lose your job although you'd assume if they wanted to start making people redundant they couldn't just go with people who refused furlough and would have to go though the usual process.

My concern here was it would push people towards quitting and therefore not being entitled to any redundancy but thinking about it as benefits are generally so low you're probably better off staying on the 60% while looking for another job.

Worrying this is become a trend though. People are being told to do things and the government will look after them then the rules are being changed. It was the same with council funding. Councils were told to spend whatever was needed and the government would cover it but now its time to pay the bill its not happening.
The issue is the employer will only be reimbursed 60 percent of your wage.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ring Of Steel

I would be tempted to decide that it’s better to take the 60% and have a job to go back to than risk having no job in the middle of what’s being predicted to be the biggest recession ever- certainty counts for a lot now.

And anyway, if they want to get rid of people then yes, refusing furlough isn’t grounds in itself, but you can bet that the selection process would mysteriously end up with those who did refuse as most likely to go- law says that a selection process needs to happen but there’s no rule around how the selection is made long as it’s not discriminatory- but who is ever going to prove the ‘real’ reason. If it was me I’d definitely not want to be taking too many risks- just my point of view.

robbiekeane

I’d just assume you’ve got it and act accordingly to be honest.
Yeh. I’m fine now it just would’ve been nice to know I’ve had it an have antibodies for it. I know they don’t have proof of immunity right now but I reckon it’s pretty likely...

PVA

Maybe it's just me, but I really think social media has reacted very negatively to the speech tonight.

I know it's only opinions and memes, but there seems to be a lot more anti-Boris stuff going round tonight, I really don't think it went down very well.

Skybluefaz

Maybe it's just me, but I really think social media has reacted very negatively to the speech tonight.

I know it's only opinions and memes, but there seems to be a lot more anti-Boris stuff going round tonight, I really don't think it went down very well.
Probably down to your circle of friends and who you follow.

SBbucks

Perhaps the country is finally starting to see him for the vacuous cretin that he is?

Ring Of Steel

not everyone is of the same view...

PVA

They are still tailored to you based on who you follow. You may be right, social media algorithms can skew things easily.

There is a 'trends for you page' based on your likes/follows etc.

But then there is a UK trends page which is just the top trends in the UK, most mentions etc, regardless of who you follow. And there is a LOT of anti Boris stuff in there.

The 3rd highest trend in the UK is #BorisHasFailed

Ring Of Steel

There is a 'trends for you page' based on your likes/follows etc.

But then there is a UK trends page which is just the top trends in the UK, most mentions etc, regardless of who you follow. And there is a LOT of anti Boris stuff in there.

The 3rd highest trend in the UK is #BorisHasFailed

It’s not just UK, it’s number one in Ireland

here’s some more worldwide opinion
65C3C374-80DE-4F87-A572-991956DB6A64.png

clint van damme

They are still tailored to you based on who you follow. You may be right, social media algorithms can skew things easily.[/QUOTE/]

Ive seen a a couple of Tories I follow post negative remarks about last night's speech.
At the end of the day this affects us all directly and quite noticeably which a lot of political issues we debate on here don't..

I'm fact, I doubt there has been an issue which affects all as much as this in my lifetime.

clint van damme

No pubs, restaurants or hairdressers open until at least July.
No foreign holidays for Brits this year.
Gutted about the holidays!

skyblue1991

Effectively Boris has said you can do what you want as long as you maintain 2m social distancing and your employer has put measures in to do so.

Is that what people wanted? Yes we cannot go to the pub, get our hair cut, be in the same household of our families/friends/partners that don't live together but for me its a big step of getting back to normality whilst trying to curb the virus and kick-start the economy.

clint van damme

Where’s it been said about the holidays?

It was on sky news. Apparently Raab said it in an.interview but I didn't see the interview.
I'm desperate for a break but to be honest if they open up the UK tourist industry and straying home helps gives it a boost I'm ok with that.

Users who are viewing this thread