Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (44 Viewers)

clint van damme

It is all tokenistic, things will keep being added because somebody on Facebook thought of it and they will get loads of likes and "well dones" after.

I agree with you on this but there's also an attempt to change the narrative on government failure by some sections of the media and turn it around on others including nhs staff.
Its exactly the sort of stunt the CET try to pull against the club on a more local level.

Nick

Administrator
I agree with you on this but there's also an attempt to change the narrative on government failure by some sections of the media and turn it around on others including nhs staff.
Its exactly the sort of stunt the CET try to pull against the club on a more local level.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the government, MPs, Politicians are all self serving pricks and should be found out properly.

I just don't see the massive lovein for the NHS and why it's fine to break social distancing and going out if somebody is applauding them but people can't go to work or see their loved ones. The same for ignoring the other hard working people outside of the NHS who are helping the country cope at the minute.

clint van damme

It was overcrowded last week as well. You can tell the second weeks pictures as there are crowds of people on the terraces around the bridge

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I'm not disputing that but they used the wrong pictures, any reason, perhaps because Cressida Dick was in some of them?
the express used an absolute bullshit picture from last year

It smacks of deflection, forget how shit the government are, look at this.

Nick

Administrator
I'm not disputing that but they used the wrong pictures, any reason, perhaps because Cressida Dick was in some of them?
the express used an absolute bullshit picture from last year

It smacks of deflection, forget how shit the government are, look at this.

To be fair, the government and police are shit for allowing it to happen.

clint van damme

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the government, MPs, Politicians are all self serving pricks and should be found out properly.

I just don't see the massive lovein for the NHS and why it's fine to break social distancing and going out if somebody is applauding them but people can't go to work or see their loved ones. The same for ignoring the other hard working people outside of the NHS who are helping the country cope at the minute.

I 'm not defending the antics on London bridge or at Walsgrave but it's a minor issue compared to the lack of PPE, the failure on testing, the frontline staff that have died etc

You'll say you agree but you have mentioned piers Morgan and Tim tok videos far more than any of the above.
If that's what triggers you fair enough but I'll keep defending NHS staff even if they fuck up sometimes.
If that's a love in then I'm happy to be part of it.

chiefdave

Wouldn’t be surprised if someone tries to organise a clap for Boris’ new arrival and the express will use archived clap for the NHS photos and claim they were for Boris. Again.
Don't even joke about it. The Mirror, who have seemingly had enough of anyone still believing that are a left wing paper, are making it out to be some Disney-esque fairy tale.

He's a 55 year old bloke who cheated on his wife of 25 years while she was being treated for cancer with a staff member 23 years his junior and then got engaged to her while still married after knocking her up. What a romantic!

Nick

Administrator
I 'm not defending the antics on London bridge or at Walsgrave but it's a minor issue compared to the lack of PPE, the failure on testing, the frontline staff that have died etc

You'll say you agree but you have mentioned piers Morgan and Tim tok videos far more than any of the above.
If that's what triggers you fair enough but I'll keep defending NHS staff even if they fuck up sometimes.
If that's a love in then I'm happy to be part of it.

It's because it's fashionable and it's what people are shouting about at the minute. Plenty are being forgotten while people obsess over the NHS. It just reminds me of the times when if you didn't put SISU OUT in a tweet it meant you loved them. Just now you have to confirm you don't hate the NHS by clapping or putting a rainbow out.

That's not taking anything away from those who are putting their lives on the line every day for long shifts, of course they are grafting their arses off but there are so many more people putting themselves at risk to keep the country running at the minute. Of course make sure that doctors and nurses have the right PPE, sometimes that's common sense. It's all relative, maybe the issue with the Tiktok stuff is that you hear people say "get PPE for NHS staff" and then the next minute they are dancing about in it completely disregarding that first bit.

You have the media and people saying "Dont go out" but then NHS staff, police etc all go and stand on a bridge with the public. Again, it completely goes against what people are saying to do. If a trained paramedic understands the risk of not social distancing then why the fuck are they standing in amongst a group of people when they don't need to?

What about the people who work in care homes? What about the people working in schools? What about delivery drivers? What about people who work in Tesco? etc etc

clint van damme

It's because it's fashionable and it's what people are shouting about at the minute. Plenty are being forgotten while people obsess over the NHS. It just reminds me of the times when if you didn't put SISU OUT in a tweet it meant you loved them. Just now you have to confirm you don't hate the NHS by clapping or putting a rainbow out.

That's not taking anything away from those who are putting their lives on the line every day for long shifts, of course they are grafting their arses off but there are so many more people putting themselves at risk to keep the country running at the minute. Of course make sure that doctors and nurses have the right PPE, sometimes that's common sense. It's all relative, maybe the issue with the Tiktok stuff is that you hear people say "get PPE for NHS staff" and then the next minute they are dancing about in it completely disregarding that first bit.

What about the people who work in care homes? What about the people working in schools? What about delivery drivers? What about people who work in Tesco? etc etc

What about them?
I have the up most respect for them and have never posted anything to the contrary.
Though with the exception of people working in care homes it isn't anywhere near as dangerous as working in an ICU ward full of people suffering from the virus.

Nick

Administrator
What about them?
I have the up most respect for them and have never posted anything to the contrary.
Though with the exception of people working in care homes it isn't anywhere near as dangerous as working in an ICU ward full of people suffering from the virus.

I mentioned them because it isn't fashionable to love them, I am not meaning you I mean the country in general at the minute. Companies aren't fighting over themselves to give things away to Keith who's been working at Tesco 12 hours a day for a week like they are the NHS staff for a bit of PR to be in on the bandwagon.

I'd say people in a supermarket or anywhere with a large footfall through the day is still dangerous, who knows what people who are going in there have. Are people in ICU still going without PPE completely? Of course that's wrong and through the country they should have never been without it and be the first to get anything that comes in due to the risks.

Since 8AM today there has been 4 delivery drivers, there will probably be a few more. Of course I am not going up to them and giving them a hug or anything stupid but I am still handling stuff they deliver and could have coughed all over. I have hand gel and handwash so keep doing that but then again the delivery drivers could catch it off the last driver who came etc. There are so many people still working who would be at risk of catching it. (Im not including myself in that by the way, I am talking about the drivers. I am hardly on the frontline in the slightest).

Flying Fokker

The thing that pisses me off about Colonel Tom is that people in the media try to "own" him as if they should take credit for it. Obviously they helped push it and publicise it but it's when others take it and try and make it about them.
Me and Mrs Fokker are fed up with this. I do wonder if he’s happy with the coverage because I’m sure he didn’t start out wanting any. Maybe his daughter did?

what a waste sending him 100000 birthday cards. That’s probably 3 million that could have been spent more wisely.

Either way I think there are heroes all over the place without bloody making a record. The local media is just as bad with news following people who are walking upstairs or other things.

shmmeee

I mentioned them because it isn't fashionable to love them, I am not meaning you I mean the country in general at the minute. Companies aren't fighting over themselves to give things away to Keith who's been working at Tesco 12 hours a day for a week like they are the NHS staff for a bit of PR to be in on the bandwagon.

I'd say people in a supermarket or anywhere with a large footfall through the day is still dangerous, who knows what people who are going in there have. Are people in ICU still going without PPE completely? Of course that's wrong and through the country they should have never been without it and be the first to get anything that comes in due to the risks.

Since 8AM today there has been 4 delivery drivers, there will probably be a few more. Of course I am not going up to them and giving them a hug or anything stupid but I am still handling stuff they deliver and could have coughed all over. I have hand gel and handwash so keep doing that but then again the delivery drivers could catch it off the last driver who came etc. There are so many people still working who would be at risk of catching it. (Im not including myself in that by the way, I am talking about the drivers. I am hardly on the frontline in the slightest).

Can you honestly not get the difference between being the person in a room full of confirmed Covid patients treating them and potentially saving lives and driving a delivery truck around on your own?

Nick

Administrator
Me and Mrs Fokker are fed up with this. I do wonder if he’s happy with the coverage because I’m sure he didn’t start out wanting any. Maybe his daughter did?

what a waste sending him 100000 birthday cards. That’s probably 3 million that could have been spent more wisely.

Either way I think there are heroes all over the place without bloody making a record. The local media is just as bad with news following people who are walking upstairs or other things.
100000 physical birthday cards? A lot of waste.

The thing is, he is so humble im not sure about him wanting to be on tv every morning and be a celebrity but you could see how much the pride of Britain meant to him and I'm sure the military recognition and a message from the Queen or royalty would mean much more to him than 100000 cards in a bag.

Cwr today featured a woman who made a statue of him from milk bottles. Same as when men shave their heads. Its not brave to shave your head ffs.

Nick

Administrator
Can you honestly not get the difference between being the person in a room full of confirmed Covid patients treating them and potentially saving lives and driving a delivery truck around on your own?

Of course I can which is why I said they should obviously have ppe and maximum protection.

It surely doesn't mean that everybody else is immune to it?

The thing with a room full of confirmed patients is that although of course it's dangerous and the staff should have PPE and be careful they know what's what. When you are working in a supermarket you can't be so sure when some trampy c**t is coughing and picking everything up and putting it back. You have no idea who and what is in your environment then.

Brighton Sky Blue

More and more people wanting credit for doing less and the threshold for what counts as ‘real’ seems to get lower as well

Nick

Administrator
More and more people wanting credit for doing less and the threshold for what counts as ‘real’ seems to get lower as well

It is just people's desperation to be "viral".

There was a little girl who had meningitis and had no arms and legs doing a sponsored activity, I think it was like a set thing in her garden of running etc. She was somebody really doing something and going out of her way and she was too young to be doing it for likes etc.

It's a world away from some 30 year old bloke cutting his hair off.

chiefdave

I haven’t been able to get a delivery slot for anything since lockdown started. Is it basically people like you booking them all up months in advance?
Nor me, I've been trying to rely on the local shop but they seem to have less and less every week. Not being helped by my parents not grasping the reality of the situation and moaning if I don't bring exactly what is on their shopping list.

Even tried waiting until midnight thinking they might open up another day but nothing.

shmmeee

I honestly don’t get how people are getting deliveries though. Do they not have jobs and are just sitting there all day every day? Is there some notification service I’m not aware of? Are slots released at a particular time? How?

NorthernWisdom

Shakes fist angrily

(I don’t really care, supermarkets are fine these days. But I’m a loyal Amazon Prime customer dammit and should be able to get overpriced groceries when I’m feeling lazy!)
tbf, I have no clue if I'm on 'the list' or not. As an aside, took my blood pressure the other day and it's off the roof atm!

Must be all that sweet sweet Tesco meat.

Mrs Wisdom also has to stay in for 12 weeks, or whatever it is.

chiefdave

I honestly don’t get how people are getting deliveries though. Do they not have jobs and are just sitting there all day every day? Is there some notification service I’m not aware of? Are slots released at a particular time? How?
I'd been working under the assumption nobody could get them as there's been no sign of any delivery vans in my road for weeks when its normally non-stop every evening.

David O'Day

My mum is on the extra shielded list so sainsbury's contacted her and showed her how to book deliveries reserved for her.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread