Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (63 Viewers)

SIR ERNIE

Everything you enjoy and look forward to has suddenly vanished.

For me, my mates and family, my holiday, football, pub, my squash league and worst of all....... my favourite Indian has shut.

The worst bit is not knowing when normality will return.

Every day is groundhog day with only bad news, queuing to get into a shop, fucked finances, lock downs and death all around.

Apart from that I'm staying cheerful.

....and God Bless the NHS

Lol, agree with all that, my feelings exactly except that I’ve had no time to get bored, business is absolutely manic, especially online sales.

Still, looking forward to the country returning to some sort of normality and as you say, massive respect and admiration for the dedication and courage of our fantastic NHS staff.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Which is why the unfolding disaster in the US should be the final nail in that particular coffin. The more people here understand the US healthcare system, the safer the NHS.

This has to be the point where society realises what is important.

Yeah - if people don't realise now that it's those at the bottom that make a difference and it's services more than money that counts we've got no hope.

SkyBlueDom26

Makes sense that our peak will be by the end of next weekend/start of the week after, wasn't it 2/3 weeks after we announced lockdown that the measures would start to show an effect?

David O'Day

Wouldn't it make sense for them to also issue adjusted figures as they go along. So you have something like figures for how many tests were submitted each day and what the results were rather than just the date they were completed. I know we are told its 7 days a week but there's a jump after every weekend which suggests it isn't.
It seems that way and yes there does seem to be a drop set to mon and then an increase the next couple of days.

They could go back and correct for which days the tests were run but people would only look at the headline figure.

Also with the deaths total they are not always the same day either. Sometimes covid-19 is only confirmed after death and deaths in communities and care homes are not added to later.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

David O'Day

Makes sense that our peak will be by the end of next weekend/start of the week after, wasn't it 2/3 weeks after we announced lockdown that the measures would start to show an effect?
That's what they hope. 14 to 21 days after restrictions.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

covmark

But if everyone hoarded April may be a lot worse than normal. Guess it depends on how many people stocked up perishables they've had to chuck, but most of it seemed to be stuff that would keep for a decent amount of time,
The stores are well stocked tbh. The milk supplier I work for have downgraded this weeks production from 1.5m litres to 1.1m litres. This is due to the supermarkets and stores being flooded with product.
I would imagine bread and other perishable items would be the same.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

We knew it was only going to get worse before it got better, but these numbers are horrific and nearly the same level as Spain, albeit they're at a different place in the curve by now. I assume that all countries have got some lag in the data from actual death to reporting it.

SkyBlueDom26

We knew it was only going to get worse before it got better, but these numbers are horrific and nearly the same level as Spain, albeit they're at a different place in the curve by now. I assume that all countries have got some lag in the data from actual death to reporting it.
How are we in comparison to Italy at this stage?

clint van damme

It won't be immediate as the value of the health service will be prevalent in people's minds for quite some time. But they don't have to rush as they've got five years for people to forget.

But it won't be too long before some are saying how poor the NHS was to deal with this situation and call for it to be made more like a private business. They'll continue to ape the US model even if it proves to be much worse than ours

But with the expected economic problems that will stem from this and the short-term funding required for the crisis will see a pretty swift return to cost-cutting and an excuse of lack of funds. But on the other side Labour etc will see it as a way to call for more take to fund it properly. And sadly given those options by that time I expect many will be back to cut costs being preferred over more tax.

I think figures of corona deaths from the States will provide a strong counter argument.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The EU is some intangible *foreign* thing. The NHS is what just saved your nans life. The two aren’t comparable..

But they also be using it as a means of saying "we weren't able to save your nan's life because we don't have the resources and efficiency of a private company. They of course won't mention the fact that they've massively underfunded it, failed to take necessary precautions that the health officials told them to earlier to prepare for this etc.

SkyBlueDom26

England's deputy chief medical officer, Dr Jenny Harries, said on Monday she was anticipating the number of deaths to "get worse over the next week, possibly two" before they decline due to people adhering to the lockdown and social distancing measures.

By next weekend then at the latest, lets pray they start to go down

SkyBlueDom26

14:00

newspaper.png

Potential coronavirus treatment to be trialled in UK

A drug that could help treat coronavirus will be trialled in patients at hospitals in England and Scotland.

Remdesivir, which is manufactured by pharmaceutical company Gilead, will be tested at 15 NHS centres.

It is a broad-spectrum antiviral agent that has been demonstrated in animal models against multiple emerging viral pathogens including Mers and Sars, which are also coronaviruses.

Gilead has initiated two phase 3 randomised studies to evaluate the safety and efficacy of its investigational treatment Remdesivir in patients with moderate to severe COVID-19.

The two studies will initially take place at Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (adult services), Manchester Royal Infirmary, and Wythenshawe Hospital.

Other participating centres are: Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust, The Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust and University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

Also included is King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Glasgow Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, Edinburgh Western General Hospital, University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust and Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust.

Magwitch

When does everyone optimistically see the Lockdown restrictions start to be lifted?? I reckon the first week of June so another 8 weeks
Longer than you think IF things are on the mend come June any lifting of restrictions will be slow and staggered and that’s just within Britain, as for foreign holidays, Italy, Spain etc could be summer next year

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He does this a lot. He genuinely just takes his views from the most convincing person he’s recently met.

Yep. If he sees someone tomorrow who tells him this is just a bad flu he'll be back saying that again.

Ring Of Steel

14:00

newspaper.png

Potential coronavirus treatment to be trialled in UK

A drug that could help treat coronavirus will be trialled in patients at hospitals in England and Scotland.

Remdesivir, which is manufactured by pharmaceutical company Gilead, will be tested at 15 NHS centres.

It is a broad-spectrum antiviral agent that has been demonstrated in animal models against multiple emerging viral pathogens including Mers and Sars, which are also coronaviruses.

Gilead has initiated two phase 3 randomised studies to evaluate the safety and efficacy of its investigational treatment Remdesivir in patients with moderate to severe COVID-19.

The two studies will initially take place at Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (adult services), Manchester Royal Infirmary, and Wythenshawe Hospital.

Other participating centres are: Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust, The Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust and University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

Also included is King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Glasgow Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, Edinburgh Western General Hospital, University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust and Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust.

My next door neighbour manufactured some of the vials for this

wingy

Longer than you think IF things are on the mend come June any lifting of restrictions will be slow and staggered and that’s just within Britain, as for foreign holidays, Italy, Spain etc could be summer next year
July Wimbledon off.
August Edinburgh Festival off.

skybluetony176

But if everyone hoarded April may be a lot worse than normal. Guess it depends on how many people stocked up perishables they've had to chuck, but most of it seemed to be stuff that would keep for a decent amount of time,
I was talking to someone I know who works in the farming industry and he recons farmers are pouring milk down the drains at the moment. The issue apparently is multiple. Not only is there now a drop in demand as lots of people stocked up on UHT apparently there’s no capacity in the processing chain due to staff shortages through self isolating and foreign workers going home. The latter especially is also an issue I saw on the news last week for crop growers and they’re appealing for British workers to step in. We may have food shortages again yet and not necessarily through panic buying alone.

mr_monkey

July Wimbledon off.
August Edinburgh Festival off.

That doesn't mean the measures will still be in by then, both those events (like Glastonbury or download festivals) take a load of organising which starts a good few months before the event which would mean April/may for Wimbledon and may/Jun for Edinburgh which isn't feasible at the moment

Smaller events like 10k festivals from July should be fine you would think if it carries on how it looks to be going

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Ive not said anything about cargo. Just the ability for us to quarantine tens or hundreds of thousands of repatriated UK citizens (and all the pilots and flight attendants after each flight) therefore making quarantining nigh on impossible

Given the lack of travel at the moment they could have taken charge of a load of coaches etc and got everyone on them to different regions and taken them to the place they'd be staying (being repatriated I imagine most would have somewhere to go). Then told them they should act as if under quarantine.

Not foolproof but at least allows some tracking and much better than letting everyone off and disperse in every direction without any knowledge of where they were going.

wingy

That doesn't mean the measures will still be in by then, both those events (like Glastonbury or download festivals) take a load of organising which starts a good few months before the event which would mean April/may for Wimbledon and may/Jun for Edinburgh which isn't feasible at the moment

Smaller events like 10k festivals from July should be fine you would think if it carries on how it looks to be going
Yep good point.

Users who are viewing this thread