Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (44 Viewers)

matesx

Can’t remember a time in my life I was this bloody bored

Everything you enjoy and look forward to has suddenly vanished.

For me, my mates and family, my holiday, football, pub, my squash league and worst of all....... my favourite Indian has shut.

The worst bit is not knowing when normality will return.

Every day is groundhog day with only bad news, queuing to get into a shop, fucked finances, lock downs and death all around.

Apart from that I'm staying cheerful.

....and God Bless the NHS

Skyblueweeman

Spoke too soon. Despite being busier than ever, did an extra 4 hours unpaid yesterday to try and keep up with the workload, and classed as keyworkers as we support medical facilites and food producers among others just been told that Friday will be my last day before being furloughed.

Friday is my last day as well Dave. I'm going off with a 40% wage reduction and no sign yet if my contract will be renewed once the maternity cover I took 11 months again ends mid-May.

Hoping to get an email from HR today. Furlough I can deal with. 40% reduction in wages I can deal with (with the help of the mortgage window). Not knowing if I have a job after mid-May is the sole concern for me at the moment.

David O'Day

563 UK deaths
Yep but let's not fixate on daily totals or ages of the dead.

Yiu need to look at the trends and if the last 2 days increases continue at the current rate then we will have a problem.

We are are likely to see increaes for at 2 to 3 weeks

wingy

563 UK deaths
Expected I think

Like every other function this country is so tardy.
Think I'm right that a lot from yesterday's total were from prior to the WE.
Guess these are the likely numbers we're likely to see daily across the next 10-12 weeks.
Awful

David O'Day

Expected I think

Like every other function this country is so tardy.
Think I'm right that a lot from yesterday's total were from prior to the WE.
Guess these are the likely numbers we're likely to see daily across the next 10-12 weeks.
Awful
Yeah it's likely to get worse but we are unlikely to see these figures for 10 to 12 weeks. They will tail off at,some stage

wingy

Friday is my last day as well Dave. I'm going off with a 40% wage reduction and no sign yet if my contract will be renewed once the maternity cover I took 11 months again ends mid-May.

Hoping to get an email from HR today. Furlough I can deal with. 40% reduction in wages I can deal with (with the help of the mortgage window). Not knowing if I have a job after mid-May is the sole concern for me at the moment.
Good Luck WM.

SkyBlueDom26

They reckon here that the peak will be next week.
Italy peak will be next week? Surely not as the numbers are now down each day and it looks like the curve has flattened... don't you think the peak has already happened as most people do

Last edited:

David O'Day

So it could be 4500 out or 8000 tests were positive
Not sure as a lot of testing can still take days to come back so the tests may have not been run at the same time.

They need to finalise and roll out the same day test thevwere talking about for a clearer picture

chiefdave

Not knowing if I have a job after mid-May is the sole concern for me at the moment.
Its crap isn't it. I know there's loads in the same situation as we are but that doesn't really ease any worries.

I got notified about an hour after a team meeting where we were given last months stats which showed it to be by far the busiest month in the companies history so you can't help but query being furloughed because there's no work. I could understand it maybe for staff who weren't dealing with the day to day work but it seems odd to reduce the level of frontline staff when its so busy.

Of course when I was told it was happening it was all 'this is to ensure everyone has a job to come back to' but then I got the paperwork and there's a lovely section in there that says when the government scheme ends we can be put on short time or lay off with no pay. Quick google suggests lay off is perfectly legal as long as they pay the statutory minimum which is less than £50 a month!

Ring Of Steel

UK hospital's staff could 'limit work' over safety fears
A&E doctors at a hospital in Essex are warning that they could limit their work with patients to a "bare minimum" if they don't receive more personal protective equipment as a matter of urgency.
In a letter to the chief executive of Southend Hospital, the medics say they've been made to feel like "naughty children" for demanding the kit.
BBC News has been told that one in four medical staff at the site are off sick with coronavirus symptoms.

They're now saying that they will not be able to test 25,000 per day until the end of April, so that means our figures can't really be used as an accurate gauge of new cases, we basically don't know because we are not testing nearly enough.

chiefdave

UK numbers seem to be all over the place and it can take days for positive results to come back from labs.
Wouldn't it make sense for them to also issue adjusted figures as they go along. So you have something like figures for how many tests were submitted each day and what the results were rather than just the date they were completed. I know we are told its 7 days a week but there's a jump after every weekend which suggests it isn't.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

What are you talking about? The NHS frontline is the same size substantively, it is relying on thousands of volunteers at the minute. The Tories will get back in to austerity as soon as they can do, and the idiot media class and stupid electorate will stand by applauding.

It won't be immediate as the value of the health service will be prevalent in people's minds for quite some time. But they don't have to rush as they've got five years for people to forget.

But it won't be too long before some are saying how poor the NHS was to deal with this situation and call for it to be made more like a private business. They'll continue to ape the US model even if it proves to be much worse than ours

But with the expected economic problems that will stem from this and the short-term funding required for the crisis will see a pretty swift return to cost-cutting and an excuse of lack of funds. But on the other side Labour etc will see it as a way to call for more take to fund it properly. And sadly given those options by that time I expect many will be back to cut costs being preferred over more tax.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No one is touching the NHS after this.

Not for a bit. But the Tories aren't in a rush and will gradually bring their narrative back in by the next election, using the economic downturn this will cause as ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread