Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (20 Viewers)

CCFCSteve

You've got to say now that we're starting to see other European countries go into lockdown (Austria won't be the last) that the UK has got it right and learned from mistakes

We used the summer knowing any virus mortality rate is at its lowest to get the over 40s and vunerable double jabbed, most over 20s single jabbed and breed heard immunity

I will be surprised if we go into lockdown ever again. We may see face coverings still over the winter but I'd take that any day than what we had last year

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I hope and think (maybe 🤞) you’re right. There is no doubt the decision was made to allow higher transmission over the summer to try to avoid a massive winter peak when the nhs will naturally be more stretched. A lot of the wider world were saying it was a crazy but I always felt it seemed logical...although I’m obviously not a virologist !

The key to the success of the decision will be the boosters being delivered quickly enough to best protect those at high risk who have waning immunity. Booster figures look relatively low at 25% but that’s over 12s so hopefully a larger proportion of those of higher risk have been jabbed again

It’s all about hospitalisations and deaths now, not case numbers. Inpatients will go up to some extent with case numbers but the vaccine has been doing it’s job so far as there have been approx 6-7k inpatients (in England) consistently for the past few weeks compared to 32k at peak.

Lockdowns will only suppress the transmission of the virus for a period so should only really be brought in if you are delaying transmission for a reason ie get more vaccines/boosters delivered or health service is at risk of being overwhelmed...otherwise it’s kind of just delaying the inevitable ie the spread. Hopefully we can avoid !

Ps I would mandate masks on public transport (especially the tube) and be suggesting any high risk WFH if transmission remains high over winter though

Rambling over

Last edited:

Sick Boy

Loads of European countries already have mandatory vaccines for all kinds of diseases. It'll probably be the same with COVID in a few years, if not months. Given how safe and effective this vaccine appears to be, I've no problem with that.

View attachment 22784
Weirdly this has never been an issue before for some posters.

Sick Boy

I hope and think (maybe 🤞) you’re right. There is no doubt the decision was made to allow higher transmission over the summer to try to avoid a massive winter peak when the nhs will naturally be more stretched. A lot of the wider world were saying it was a crazy but I always felt it seemed logical...although I’m obviously not a virologist !

The key to the success of the decision will be the boosters being delivered quickly enough to best protect those at high risk who have waning immunity. Booster figures look relatively low at 25% but that’s over 12s so hopefully a larger proportion of those of higher risk have been jabbed again

It’s all about hospitalisations and deaths now, not case numbers. Inpatients will go up to some extent with case numbers but the vaccine has been doing it’s job so far as there have been approx 6-7k inpatients (in England) consistently for the past few weeks compared to 32k at peak.

Lockdowns will only suppress the transmission of the virus for a period so should only really be brought in if you are delaying transmission for a reason ie get more vaccines/boosters delivered or health service is at risk of being overwhelmed...otherwise it’s kind of just delaying the inevitable ie the spread. Hopefully we can avoid !

Ps I would mandate masks on public transport (especially the tube) and be suggesting any high risk WFH if transmission remains high over winter though

Rambling over
Last month I was on busy trains and tubes in the England and I’d say at best 5% were wearing masks on the trains and 10% on the tube. It’s madness that in carriages with zero ventilation people don’t bother.

baldy

Last month I was on busy trains and tubes in the England and I’d say at best 5% were wearing masks on the trains and 10% on the tube. It’s madness that in carriages with zero ventilation people don’t bother.

Why worry about everybody else & what they do or don’t do?

skybluetony176

You‘re potentially going to crash everytime you get in a car…do you worry about that?
That’s why we have things such as speed limits, seatbelt laws, MOT laws, a competency to drive test, insurance laws, road tax, build standards in cars in case of a crash etc etc.

You can’t just buy a car, cover it in objects designed to hurt and kill and drive around with no rules. This isn’t death race 2000.

chiefdave

Had a reminder today that this isn't over. Mate of mine has ended up in hospital, thankfully looks like he Is on the mend after a couple of scary days.

He's in his 50s, fit & healthy, double vaxxed and had covid once already back before vaccines were available. Looks like he picked it up at work and thankfully looks a combination of his employer and insurance will cover it as he's working in the US at the moment and already has a 10 days quarantine in NY to pay for after testing positive and the call out fee alone for the doctor was $5K.

Sky Blue Pete

Yep wife for me feeling rough too
Had a reminder today that this isn't over. Mate of mine has ended up in hospital, thankfully looks like he Is on the mend after a couple of scary days.

He's in his 50s, fit & healthy, double vaxxed and had covid once already back before vaccines were available. Looks like he picked it up at work and thankfully looks a combination of his employer and insurance will cover it as he's working in the US at the moment and already has a 10 days quarantine in NY to pay for after testing positive and the call out fee alone for the doctor was $5K.

Grendel

Grendel

It says a 53% reduction in the incidence of COVID

Users who are viewing this thread