Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (35 Viewers)

Grendel

That is actually really interesting, thank you. Bit unnerving that this fucking thing is going to overtake Ebola in less than half the time.

Why is it unnerving?

David O'Day

Once they ramp up the testing and the confi5cases get exponentially higher can the doom saying fake news fancies promise not to misrepresent them

PVA

Updated.

Not going well is it.

ETfvNanXsAA1O06

PVA

And this is why some people need to take this more seriously and stop going to the pub etc because they think they'll be alright.

"Germany has 28,000 ICU beds. By contrast, the UK has just 4,000. And 25,000 of Germany’s already have the ventilators seriously ill patients need.

At the outbreak of the crisis, Germany had 29.2 intensive care beds per 100,000 people. Italy had 12.5. The UK had just 6.6."

People aren't wanting lockdown for the fun of it, they want it because it will save lives.

skyblue1991

42 out of a million people in the UK have been tested positive for COVID-19.

This is one of the best in Europe.

I'm taking it seriously but still not worried.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Walsgrave

I hate to be pedantic but although I also believe those statistics are encouraging on the face of it, there is likely to be some bias skewing these results if, as is widely believed, inherently 'healthier' people (both financially and physically) such as MPs are being tested first, as opposed to say many of the doctors and nurses and nurses on the frontline who have not yet been tested. Also, I'm not sure a million people have been tested yet - do you mean that as a proportion, 42 out of a million among those tested have tested positive?

PVA

Many, many more people than that have it. The government have said so.

We are only testing those that end up in hospital.

A few days ago the government said that circa 50,000 people were positive and it'll be much more than that now.

skyblue1991

I hate to be pedantic but although I also believe those statistics are encouraging on the face of it, there is likely to be some bias skewing these results if, as is widely believed, inherently 'healthier' people (both financially and physically) such as MPs are being tested first, as opposed to say many of the doctors and nurses and nurses on the frontline who have not yet been tested. Also, I'm not sure a million people have been tested yet - do you mean that as a proportion, 42 out of a million among those tested have tested positive?
True but that's the same for every country surely?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But are we testing in the same manner as elsewhere?

We're only testing those hospitalised. We've got a lot of people who've just been told to stay at home if they have symptoms and not get medical help unless they become extremely unwell. So we've probably got a great many cases that will never be recorded because they were never tested. Is that the same as other countries.

Downside with such a thing is that the death rate is likely to seem much higher than other places because those tested were already very ill. But we'll only know in the fullness of time once it's over if that's the case.

Ring Of Steel

Look mate it's not my fault you can't read it.

If you don't like it don't comment on it but I will keep posting it because I think it is very relevant.

keep posting it, the people that appreciate the info it will read it. Ignore this guy, he’s getting worse every post.

Reactions: PVA

Walsgrave

I now see what you mean by 42 out of a million. There are 67 million people in the UK so if you multiply the rate per million (42) by the 'number of millions' (67) you get 2814, which is close to the current number of overall 'positive' detections, at around 3300. That doesn't reveal too much because that's a measure of how many have tested positive at this point in time. It's akin to saying, back in October 2019 that there had been 'no positives for every million tests', whereas now we all know that the number is rising and looks set to continue.

djr8369

And this is why some people need to take this more seriously and stop going to the pub etc because they think they'll be alright.

"Germany has 28,000 ICU beds. By contrast, the UK has just 4,000. And 25,000 of Germany’s already have the ventilators seriously ill patients need.

At the outbreak of the crisis, Germany had 29.2 intensive care beds per 100,000 people. Italy had 12.5. The UK had just 6.6."

People aren't wanting lockdown for the fun of it, they want it because it will save lives.
"doom saying fake news fancy" is what we say to people to have the audacity to look at some figures, thank you very much.

Liquid Gold

And they said Corbyn was a danger to the country.

Liquid Gold

That scruffy c**t in charge would be worse for the UK!
Hypothetically it's possible. The grasping cunts that have been in charge for 10 years have however left us in a situation where we can't care for people that are vulnerable. People that have paid into the system their whole lives are going to die because these scumbags wanted to add to their extraordinary hoard of cash. Give me a guy whose tie is wonky over people that have forcibly mismanaged us into a situation where we are unable to cope.

BornSlippySkyBlue

1. And this is why some people need to take this more seriously and stop going to the pub etc because they think they'll be alright.

There seems to be a huge misconception in this country that the NHS is fantastic and will save us all (just turn the tap off when it gets full, yeah??) without any true understanding of just how much the last 10 years has decimated its ability to cope with a situation just like this. And just how fucked it is.

We have fewer beds, fewer ICU beds, fewer ventilators and fewer medical staff than virtually all comparable healthcare systems. Some of us have been saying for years that the NHS is criminally underfunded and will soon be not fit for purpose. Lots of people call it hyperbole and accuse us of political bias.

Welcome to our world healthy Brits. And if you vote Tory ever again you deserve the next pandemic. And I mean that, you’ve all been told repeatedly that the Tory party are decimating the NHS, but Brexit was more important apparently and we’ll be alright Jack. It was doctors and nurses doing a lot of the shouting, but they were ignored too.

Just a shame they can’t allocate ventilators based on previous voting record.

Those that still believe the government’s strategy will actually allow our NHS to cope with the impending clusterfuck are seriously deluded, and the reason they changed tack (they really did) was because they realised how soon we’d run out of capacity and that it is pure fantasy that we can somehow control the flow of truly desperate patients. We can’t, we won’t and lots of people that could have survived if they’d had access to an ICU bed and a ventilator, will die unnecessarily.

And anyone that says it isn’t political have had their head up their arse for the last 10 years.

Users who are viewing this thread