Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (56 Viewers)

wingy

Wingy, I don't think this is correct. By region, China's mortality rates range from 1.4% to 3.6% overall. What's interesting to me is the 0.2% mortality rate in Germany, as they are also a country that has undertaken a large amount of testing for the virus, and which increases the denominator when calculating mortality rates. The UK Gov't own estimate is a 1% mortality rate, which is close to that for Swine flu. Italy's mortality rate is currently 2%. As has been recognised, just as important, if not more, is the % infected.
We may be at cross purposes .
It was a small sample from early on .
Both the lower age groups were running around double the over,80's ?

fernandopartridge

Appreciate that, but I was pointing out that the constant abuse he/the government gets on here isn’t necessarily reflective of the wider population.

I’ve got a mix of mates (with various political persuasions) and haven’t heard many moans, not because I think anyone thinks the governments approach has been perfect, but because they understand these are unprecedented times

I'd probably suggest as a country we've been battered into submission

skybluetony176

So he hasn’t said who counts as protected workers. Thanks mate
Believe there is a list available but also been told by someone who is on that list that her family doesn’t count as only her job is on the list so unless both parents are on the list or you’re a single parent your children can’t go into school still.

cc84cov

Guys. You didn’t have coronavirus last year. If you did we’d currently be in the middle of a mass outbreak as opposed to the start. One person restarted the outbreak in Korea, similarly our good tracking suppressed the first outbreak here. You weren’t running around Cov with coronavirus believe me, it genuinely was man flu.
Any chance on a graph to back this up mate ? ;)

PVA

The first 100 is the same as the next 400. And so on. It flattens out even when the cases go up by hundreds a day. They then use this to say how ours is shooting up yet the others are not. But that is not the reality.

Good grief. Absolutely no one is saying this. No one.

You've missed the point quite spectacularly.

Monners

You can mention what you want. Half of this thread is people arguing about the graph so pretty sure it can be mentioned!

Yes, that's how a log scale works. It will flatten out while cases are going up by hundreds a day further up the curve BUT if the increase continues to be exponential it will continue to be a straight line. If the curve begins to flatten you might still have hundreds of cases per day but if you're further up the scale those hundreds might be a small percentage and so it will mean the growth rate is slowing. No matter how high up the scale you are eventually you the gradient will get shallower and level off to a horizontal line once there are no new cases/deaths.
Thank you. Always good to have someone that understands how to read a graph and what a log scale is!

I shall now remove myself from tethers end

djr8369

Wingy, I don't think this is correct. By region, China's mortality rates range from 1.4% to 3.6% overall. What's interesting to me is the 0.2% mortality rate in Germany, as they are also a country that has undertaken a large amount of testing for the virus, and which increases the denominator when calculating mortality rates. The UK Gov't own estimate is a 1% mortality rate, which is close to that for Swine flu. Italy's mortality rate is currently 2%. As has been recognised, just as important, if not more, is the % infected.

"I don't think this is correct" then supplying a reasonable explanation? That's not how it works here, son. You're supposed to reply with dripping condescension and then spend your time telling people the other person is an idiot and sneering at every post they make.

Nick

Administrator
"I don't think this is correct" then supplying a reasonable explanation? That's not how it works here, son. You're supposed to reply with dripping condescension and then spend your time telling people the other person is an idiot and sneering at every post they make.
Nah it's all about graphs now.

covcity4life

"I had a fever, a headache and my eyes were burning. I already had symptoms during the night, shivering for cold"

Corona hit footballer said above

Sounds like you had coronavirus @hill83

Nick

Administrator
Yeah I keep seeing people mention eyes burning.

Hopefully if he does have it he will piss it out soon

hill83

Feeling a bit better at the moment. Still got a cough but it’s not a dry cough now. Went for a walk round the block with my lad on his scooter. Knackered me out but I feel like it did me good. Didn’t see a single car driving about.

Almost had thoughts of having a beer a minute ago but I won’t.

covcity4life

Feeling a bit better at the moment. Still got a cough but it’s not a dry cough now. Went for a walk round the block with my lad on his scooter. Knackered me out but I feel like it did me good. Didn’t see a single car driving about.

Are you not supposed to stay indoors for 14 days?

Brighton Sky Blue

School provision from Monday will be for those up to Year 9 (13-14 yo), and for supervision only in completing work set remotely. Key workers appear to be those from pre-existing definition and both parents must fit into the category or be a single parent. It has still not been decided who is staffing the supervision but I am pleased to see some commonsense being used at school level.

stupot07

We were told they were testing 7500 today
8360 tests since yesterday's figure, results are usually a couple of days behind, so those will likely be part of Saturdays figures
04de23d84ae8f74cf5aabe731ff99962.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

djr8369

I was down Cheylsemore high street early and seemed as busy as normal. The Turkish barbers have been struggling though so if any of you use it I'm sure they'd be grateful for the business.

Glad to hear you're perking up.

djr8369

8360 tests since yesterday's figure, results are usually a couple of days behind, so those will likely be part of Saturdays figures
04de23d84ae8f74cf5aabe731ff99962.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The proportion of positive tests has been rising the last few days.

Attachments

• positive tests.GIF
    positive tests.GIF
    8.4 KB · Views: 13

MalcSB

Yep, hence based on recorded cases.
It all depends on what cases are recorded, which depends on which people are tested. UK are only testing people admitted to hospital which, by definition will be the patients who are most ill. The most ill are more likely to die. People who are less ill stay at home are not being tested. The mortality rate for the UK based on reported cases will be artificially high than is the actual case for all those infected.

Users who are viewing this thread