Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (31 Viewers)

hill83

Is there a silent majority that are wary of venturing back out into the world?

Could well be, but for what it’s worth. I don’t know anyone at all (in the real world) who has an issue with them following the data and possibly delaying for two weeks, considering we aren’t locked down anyway, which people seem to have forgotten again. And the only shouting I see about it is the same 5 blokes on here and the daily mail.

Edit: I do know someone actually from the local but he reckons Bill Gates wants half the world population killed with vaccine microchips.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Think there's an element of some groups shouting louder than others and making them seem larger.

I've noticed a couple of events recently where tickets haven't exactly been flying out the door despite all this supposed pent up demand. Download Festival is taking place at the end of June, albeit with a greatly scaled back line-up. 10K limit with 2022 ticket holders having priority (2019 had 80K attendance to give an indicator). The expectation was those tickets would be gone on priority but they made general sale and are still available now.

Similarly it was the NIHL (ice hockey) finals this weekend. First ice hockey in 18 months where attendance was allowed, capped at 500 when it would normally be multiple times that. Wasn't anywhere close to selling out.

Is there a silent majority that are wary of venturing back out into the world?
It's an interesting point. My friend mentioned Download, which surprised me. Could it be partly fear related, but also partly not wanting to plan too much to have it cancelled last min? Also I guess the demographic of Download is younger people who haven't been vaccinated? But then aren't they desperate to party?! I think what I'm saying is I have no idea :rolleyes:

hill83

I’ve not seen anyone kicking off about having to wear masks any pub I’ve been to either. Everyone has been absolutely spot on steaming or not. If we do delay it’s a bit annoying I’ll need to book somewhere for the Czech Republic game though rather than pile in anywhere.

CCFCSteve

Of course they're testing the waters. That's how a Johnson govt operates. Get the info out, see if it's popular and then set policy accordingly, regardless of whether it's the right thing to do.

To be honest I think this will work in favour of opening, as they wouldn't be testing the waters if there wasn't some advice saying they should delay. But if there's enough complaints about being held back (which I think there will be) they'll fuck the scientists and go with what's popular. I certainly think they will be more (or at least louder) complaints about delaying than there will be about opening. I know some think it's all 'lockdown lovers' getting their way but we've already started to open up twice before way before we were ready because of noisy people wanting restrictions lifted, leading to an even longer lockdown overall and tens of thousands more deaths.

This time I reckon the vaccine will be the game changer. Cases will rise, but hospitalisations and deaths will remain much lower than before.

There’s all sorts going on from gov and gov scientists (has been all the way through). There’s an element of testing the waters, managing expectations, trying to ensure people don’t go too crazy too soon etc etc

Just pleased we’ve got some good weather which will hopefully help (more people meeting outdoors rather than in)

chiefdave

Looks like Vaccine Passports will be a thing

Its actually a relaxation of the current rules. All the test events have required a negative test no matter what your vaccination status. This is saying that you now only need a test if you aren't fully vaccinated.

David O'Day

Its actually a relaxation of the current rules. All the test events have required a negative test no matter what your vaccination status. This is saying that you now only need a test if you aren't fully vaccinated.

Yeah and it can't be a vaccine passport if you don't need to be vaccinated

Brighton Sky Blue

A bit unfair when under 25s haven’t been offered one jab yet but I can see both sides

chiefdave

A bit unfair when under 25s haven’t been offered one jab yet but I can see both sides
You can still get in with a negative test, its not only people who have been vaccinated. My question has always been if all the test events are either negative test only or now fully vaccinated people how does that give us any data on events run as 'normal', unless that plan is for this to be how everything operates moving forward.

Grendel

There’s all sorts going on from gov and gov scientists (has been all the way through). There’s an element of testing the waters, managing expectations, trying to ensure people don’t go too crazy too soon etc etc

Just pleased we’ve got some good weather which will hopefully help (more people meeting outdoors rather than in)

The notion Jeremy Hunt is testing the water for Boris Johnson is amusing. “Is the bath water cool enough Mr Hunt”

“Oh yes” as the Thermometer reaches 1,000 degrees

Tommo1993

Took nearly 3 hours on the booking system to arrange my first vaccine. Booked for Friday. Can’t get my second until end of August.

skybluetony176

The notion Jeremy Hunt is testing the water for Boris Johnson is amusing. “Is the bath water cool enough Mr Hunt”

“Oh yes” as the Thermometer reaches 1,000 degrees
That’s nothing. Priti Patel has a thermometer that goes up to three hundred thousand, and thirty four, nine hundred and seventy four thousand degrees.

Sky Blue Pete

Definite third wave but not being reflected in hospitalisations and deaths . On infection alone I think a delay is going to be sensible now

Brighton Sky Blue

Increasingly now the bulk of new infections are coming from schools which we were laughed at previously for saying would happen.
@Brighton Sky Blue - some good news on that front for you hopefully?

View attachment 20401

All fingers crossed

fatso

When the fuck did the Indian variant suddenly become the Delta variant???

I've only just got used to marathons becoming snickers bars ffs !!!

Users who are viewing this thread