Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (32 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

I think he means what are the number of positive cases that are unvaccinated/1 jab/2 jabs. Same for hospitalisations.

I assume they're doing this analysis to understand effectiveness of vaccines, but don't think it's published anywhere?
I cited that evidence just last week

hill83

First time I’ve ever agreed with Hancock.

Same question after same question and to be honest making themselves look like dickheads.

“Tell us we will fully unlock on the 21st now”

Answer.

“No, we will have more data next week and will decide then”

baldy

I see that Bev Turner’s being axed by ITV for having exactly the same opinion as the thick presenter Alison about the Kung flu but obviously Turner gets the boot because she doesn’t tick any boxes whereas Alison keeps her slot...eurgh

hill83

I see that Bev Turner’s being axed by ITV for having exactly the same opinion as the thick presenter Alison about the Kung flu but obviously Turner gets the boot because she doesn’t tick any boxes whereas Alison keeps her slot...eurgh

It's a bit more nuanced than that. Both plonkers, but one was saying we need to live with the virus, which we do, and she was scared about having the vaccine herself. The other one was saying all young people should reject the vaccine.

CCFCSteve

First time I’ve ever agreed with Hancock.

Same question after same question and to be honest making themselves look like dickheads.

“Tell us we will fully unlock on the 21st now”

Answer.

“No, we will have more data next week and will decide then”

The media and certain scientists are just relentless though. I have no issue with either saying or supporting the view that if hospitalisations/severe illnesses increase at a rate then we should delay the full reopening for a short period, or tweak some of the relaxations of remaining restrictions. However for the last couple of weeks many have been shouting ‘delay’ before the data is available to demonstrate whether the link between transmission and hospitalisations/severe illness has been broken sufficiently

It appears like the vaccines are working well, it’s just whether we need a few more doses/double doses dished out before full reopening. I’m hoping the next couple of weeks will do that job 🤞

clint van damme

Which boxes would those be?

jordan210

I know not all are a fan of JHB but have a listen to this moron on her show

If your have heart medication might be advised not to!

Saddlebrains

Gonna be a 2 week delay.

Jeremy Hunt on sky news

'
The most important thing is when we lift this lockdown, we want to know it's forever," he said.

"And so if we had to wait an extra couple of weeks because that was the scientific advice, I think most people would say that's reasonable."

Clearly fucking testing the waters. Pricks

Saddlebrains

Would most people say it's reasonable?

I dont think so. Being as we can all read and the vaccine works a treat with hospitalisations and deaths staying low.

I really think they're making a cock up if so. The vast majority I've seen online or spoken to have had enough of the cases being used as the data

chiefdave

Would most people say it's reasonable?
I'd say so. When the two weeks was originally mentioned, which somehow then got transplanted into 'they want to lockdown forever' it was to ensure we had enough data to make the right decision.

The issue highlighted was that initially there were low numbers with the delta variant, low numbers mean any modelling or prediction has a high degree of uncertainty. But we have seen an exponential increase in cases which we know from past waves is the first sign of a looming problem.

Cases didn't start to jump until last Wednesday when we went over 4K, then over 5K on Thursday and over 6K on Friday. Given the lag between cases and hospitalisation it could be the end of this week or start of next week before any increase in hospitalisations is seen.

By the time you've then gathered data on the immunisation status of those hospitalised and also if the hospitalisations are short stays and released or long term potentially leading to death you're past the 21st. What we don't want to do is open up and then a week later realise its a mistake. The early indicators are we're good to go but after all this time lets make sure we get it right and don't end up back in lockdown.

Nick

Administrator
I'd say so. When the two weeks was originally mentioned, which somehow then got transplanted into 'they want to lockdown forever' it was to ensure we had enough data to make the right decision.

The issue highlighted was that initially there were low numbers with the delta variant, low numbers mean any modelling or prediction has a high degree of uncertainty. But we have seen an exponential increase in cases which we know from past waves is the first sign of a looming problem.

Cases didn't start to jump until last Wednesday when we went over 4K, then over 5K on Thursday and over 6K on Friday. Given the lag between cases and hospitalisation it could be the end of this week or start of next week before any increase in hospitalisations is seen.

By the time you've then gathered data on the immunisation status of those hospitalised and also if the hospitalisations are short stays and released or long term potentially leading to death you're past the 21st. What we don't want to do is open up and then a week later realise its a mistake. The early indicators are we're good to go but after all this time lets make sure we get it right and don't end up back in lockdown.

Oh there's no doubt we will end up back in lockdown anyway when another "variant" hits.

It will just be another 2 weeks, then another 2 weeks, need a bit more data. Next thing it's Autumn when people get the sniffles anyway and bang, get locked down again,

shmmeee

Ever think they may have dug around to find someone who fits their exact profile? An 86 year old non-practicing doctor from a niche political party ends up on a national radio show and you take it at face value?

My thoughts exactly.

chiefdave

Oh there's no doubt we will end up back in lockdown anyway when another "variant" hits.

It will just be another 2 weeks, then another 2 weeks, need a bit more data. Next thing it's Autumn when people get the sniffles anyway and bang, get locked down again,
Why is there no doubt? If we see that vaccines are effective against variants and those being hospitalised are unvaccinated then once we're through the vaccination program, which I think is ahead of schedule, it will just be a case of ongoing monitoring.

Don't think people have a grip on how variants are dealt with. There's literally hundreds of them and most never get a mention. Anything that flags up in the stats becomes a variant under investigation and only if the stats reveal an issue does it become a variant of concern. We're not locking down every time a variant is detected. Zero covid has never been the aim here, it has always been to not overwhelm the NHS.

samccov1987

Whilst we all want this over I’m not sure what the harm is waiting a few more weeks to get more people jabbed.

The good news is double vaccines work however this new variant has changed the picture and made the timelines harder to achieve.

Rather than repeat the mistakes of last summer and Christmas let’s get the vaccine programme completed so we can lift restrictions with confidence.

The positive for me is I think we look good for September. There will be new variants and things like face masks on public transport will be around for a while. We’re going to have to be vigilant over the winter and people really will need to take personal responsibility to ensure they aren’t taking unnecessary risks.

If we delay it’s not some clandestine bid for government control it’s because we’re so near to moving past this.

Saddlebrains

Whilst we all want this over I’m not sure what the harm is waiting a few more weeks to get more people jabbed.

The good news is double vaccines work however this new variant has changed the picture and made the timelines harder to achieve.

Rather than repeat the mistakes of last summer and Christmas let’s get the vaccine programme completed so we can lift restrictions with confidence.

The positive for me is I think we look good for September. There will be new variants and things like face masks on public transport will be around for a while. We’re going to have to be vigilant over the winter and people really will need to take personal responsibility to ensure they aren’t taking unnecessary risks.

If we delay it’s not some clandestine bid for government control it’s because we’re so near to moving past this.

How's looking good for September a good thing? Another summer missed. Hundreds More business going to the wall. People again having to delay weddings, christenings etc. Mental health taking another 3 month whacking. And to top it all off September We're hurtling towards winter.

Any delay is bad news whatever way you look at it

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Gonna be a 2 week delay.

Jeremy Hunt on sky news

'
The most important thing is when we lift this lockdown, we want to know it's forever," he said.

"And so if we had to wait an extra couple of weeks because that was the scientific advice, I think most people would say that's reasonable."

Clearly fucking testing the waters. Pricks

Of course they're testing the waters. That's how a Johnson govt operates. Get the info out, see if it's popular and then set policy accordingly, regardless of whether it's the right thing to do.

To be honest I think this will work in favour of opening, as they wouldn't be testing the waters if there wasn't some advice saying they should delay. But if there's enough complaints about being held back (which I think there will be) they'll fuck the scientists and go with what's popular. I certainly think they will be more (or at least louder) complaints about delaying than there will be about opening. I know some think it's all 'lockdown lovers' getting their way but we've already started to open up twice before way before we were ready because of noisy people wanting restrictions lifted, leading to an even longer lockdown overall and tens of thousands more deaths.

This time I reckon the vaccine will be the game changer. Cases will rise, but hospitalisations and deaths will remain much lower than before.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Then an another 2 weeks.

Oh look a new strain, we had best go back a step and close everything.

It's always going to be around, hospitals aren't over flowing.

2 weeks then another 2 weeks. Then its winter. so might as well go for a few months.

We are not following data.

The vaccines clearly work.

Problem with this being all of the opening dates have been met so far (even though it was supposed to 'data not dates'), and they opened up twice before long before we were ready cos they're eager to do so politically, esp with some very noisy backbenchers and donors who'd have happily never gone into any restrictions whatsoever if they had the choice. Johnson wanted to go that route and only stopped because he (or someone on his team) saw even his Teflon status couldn't survive such a shitshow. He even said he'd prefer bodies piling up in the streets than delay. This time they'll almost certainly have the data to back them up, so why would the govt now choose to delay when they opened up before against all the advice and data?

chiefdave

Very surprised by that
Think there's an element of some groups shouting louder than others and making them seem larger.

I've noticed a couple of events recently where tickets haven't exactly been flying out the door despite all this supposed pent up demand. Download Festival is taking place at the end of June, albeit with a greatly scaled back line-up. 10K limit with 2022 ticket holders having priority (2019 had 80K attendance to give an indicator). The expectation was those tickets would be gone on priority but they made general sale and are still available now.

Similarly it was the NIHL (ice hockey) finals this weekend. First ice hockey in 18 months where attendance was allowed, capped at 500 when it would normally be multiple times that. Wasn't anywhere close to selling out.

Is there a silent majority that are wary of venturing back out into the world?

Users who are viewing this thread