Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (123 Viewers)

shmmeee

Awkward conversation with a mate yesterday who called at my house while I’m self isolating waiting for a test result for my daughter. He thinks it’s all overblown and people are being hypochondriacs, wouldn’t accept I was isolating and took offence when I told him he couldn’t come in. Had already had the lockdown conversation and he wouldn’t accept that either. Most of his mates are full into the conspiracy bollocks.

What do you do with these people? Extra concerned because he has serious MH issues and attempted suicide last lockdown so worried about turning him away, but equally I live with my parents and want to follow health advice.

If I ever get my hands on the arseholes spreading these conspiracy theories for profit. Not just the health damage they do but the social damage as well.

Is this the week we finally get a Vaccine approved? Lets hope ey

Think (hope) it’s a formality at this point.

I've been suffering with chronic fatigue since August. I was running 30-40 miles a day, but my ability to keep going has dropped off a cliff. Sometimes getting out of bed literally wears me out.

I'm starting to think it may be down to my mental health. Not having a holiday this year and all this lockdown tier stuff is really getting to me. What's really frustrating about this is my lack of control.

shmmeee

What one do you think will be approved first? Probs the one we have to wait till spring for

Well the Pfizer vaccine seems to be getting shipped. As I said my missus was told UHCW was getting it today. Saw a report that it’s arrived in Belgium as well. So I’d guess that’s not far away.

Just enough to do the most vulnerable, but that’s a start and hopefully makes the most impact to deaths and hospitalisations which is what determines lockdown.

Im cautiously optimistic we won’t have to lockdown/Tier 3 after this winter.

SkyBlueDom26

Well the Pfizer vaccine seems to be getting shipped. As I said my missus was told UHCW was getting it today. Saw a report that it’s arrived in Belgium as well. So I’d guess that’s not far away.

Just enough to do the most vulnerable, but that’s a start and hopefully makes the most impact to deaths and hospitalisations which is what determines lockdown.

Literally there are 20 million people in groups 1-4.... we need them all vaccinated ASAP really then i think most of the restrictions will go and the majority of us in group 5 can then get it over the coming months

Good news about it arriving at the UHCW

fernandopartridge

I've been suffering with chronic fatigue since August. I was running 30-40 miles a day, but my ability to keep going has dropped off a cliff. Sometimes getting out of bed literally wears me out.

I'm starting to think it may be down to my mental health. Not having a holiday this year and all this lockdown tier stuff is really getting to me. What's really frustrating about this is my lack of control.

Did you have a test for covid at any point?

clint van damme

Awkward conversation with a mate yesterday who called at my house while I’m self isolating waiting for a test result for my daughter. He thinks it’s all overblown and people are being hypochondriacs, wouldn’t accept I was isolating and took offence when I told him he couldn’t come in. Had already had the lockdown conversation and he wouldn’t accept that either. Most of his mates are full into the conspiracy bollocks.

What do you do with these people? Extra concerned because he has serious MH issues and attempted suicide last lockdown so worried about turning him away, but equally I live with my parents and want to follow health advice.

If I ever get my hands on the arseholes spreading these conspiracy theories for profit. Not just the health damage they do but the social damage as well.

these people piss me off.
One example of the people I know who've been ill with it - friend of ours is a teacher, she's worked all through lockdown as she works wit SN kids.
She never has time off, she drags herself into work when she's ill, hanging whatever. She got over Covid 3 weeks ago and still hasn't been back to work it's absolutely floored her. Her husband nearly ended up in hospital though he's back at work.
I'm tired of hearing the sort of bullshit your mate was spouting.
As I posted on another thread my sister fell out with a good friend over this because she was telling my sister it was bullshit after my sister was ill with it.

TomRad85

I kind of sympathise though. If he's young and suffering mental health issues then chances are lockdown is doing him personally way more damage than covid ever could.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

chiefdave

Is this the week we finally get a Vaccine approved? Lets hope ey
Fingers crossed. Although as they seem to be shipping it to hospitals and have recuited and trained people to give the vaccine hopefully its just a formality.

Anyone heard where it will be in Cov? Assume the Ricoh will be one site. Brum is Villa Park, Millenium Point, NEC, Edgbaston and Airport.
What one do you think will be approved first? Probs the one we have to wait till spring for
It will be the Pfizer one. There's varying reports on how many we will get in the first batch but hopefully enough to cover the most vunerable.

The plans seem to be get it out there as fast as possible. Looks like we'll be given a time slot and then literally queing up for it and they're planning to have people working in teams of two giving the injections so they don't even have to wait to swap PPE between jabs. They reckon they can get it down to 2 minutes per person.

SkyBlueDom26

Fingers crossed. Although as they seem to be shipping it to hospitals and have recuited and trained people to give the vaccine hopefully its just a formality.

Anyone heard where it will be in Cov? Assume the Ricoh will be one site. Brum is Villa Park, Millenium Point, NEC, Edgbaston and Airport.

It will be the Pfizer one. There's varying reports on how many we will get in the first batch but hopefully enough to cover the most vunerable.

The plans seem to be get it out there as fast as possible. Looks like we'll be given a time slot and then literally queing up for it and they're planning to have people working in teams of two giving the injections so they don't even have to wait to swap PPE between jabs. They reckon they can get it down to 2 minutes per person.
We have 20 million so that's 10 million people.....we need another 10 really if we are going to see anything drastic change in regards to restrictions, groups 1-4 need to be done asap

chiefdave

You're more confident than me. As soon as we saw a parade of experts telling people to use their common sense and just because they rules were being relaxed didn't mean it was sensible to actually do what the rules allow I could see a problem looming post-Christmas.

Suspect people will see the numbers dropping now and for the next couple of weeks, thanks to lockdown, along with the rules being relaxed and see Christmas as a free hit. Given the lag before we see things impact the numbers can see us sending students home, christmas, new year, kids back to schools and sending students back in a short period of time leading to numbers shooting back up again before anyone acknowledges there's an issue. Hopefully I'll be wrong, maybe I'm just not giving people enough credit.

David O'Day

You're more confident than me. As soon as we saw a parade of experts telling people to use their common sense and just because they rules were being relaxed didn't mean it was sensible to actually do what the rules allow I could see a problem looming post-Christmas.

Suspect people will see the numbers dropping now and for the next couple of weeks, thanks to lockdown, along with the rules being relaxed and see Christmas as a free hit. Given the lag before we see things impact the numbers can see us sending students home, christmas, new year, kids back to schools and sending students back in a short period of time leading to numbers shooting back up again before anyone acknowledges there's an issue. Hopefully I'll be wrong, maybe I'm just not giving people enough credit.

I still think Easter is when it is most likely to get better.

chiefdave

All Cov uni students are required to have a test before leaving for christmas apparently.
Its voluntary but hopefully there will be a good uptake. Seems the idea is get a test and travel as soon as possible after lockdown.

They're advising students to travel from December 3rd, although that's over a week before the end of term so unless they're finishing early not sure how that works.

LastGarrison

Its voluntary but hopefully there will be a good uptake. Seems the idea is get a test and travel as soon as possible after lockdown.

They're advising students to travel from December 3rd, although that's over a week before the end of term so unless they're finishing early not sure how that works.
With the the majority of teaching being online it won't effect their studies as much as usual anyway.

I'm hearing that the uptake for the tests has been "disappointing" but hopefully will pick up.

shmmeee

I kind of sympathise though. If he's young and suffering mental health issues then chances are lockdown is doing him personally way more damage than covid ever could.

That’s exactly my dilemma. Part of his MH issues is paranoia around friends and thinking everyone is having a great time and just don’t want him there, when in fact we’re all just hermits getting old. He doesn’t have internet access and is convinced we’re all online every day chatting and he’s not part of it.

TomRad85

That’s exactly my dilemma. Part of his MH issues is paranoia around friends and thinking everyone is having a great time and just don’t want him there, when in fact we’re all just hermits getting old. He doesn’t have internet access and is convinced we’re all online every day chatting and he’s not part of it.
Is he getting professional help? Because it sounds like he 100% needs it.

shmmeee

Is he getting professional help? Because it sounds like he 100% needs it.

We try. He’s got drink problems and probably drug issues we don’t know about too, we’ve made appointments but he’ll miss them, tried to get his case workers to talk to us but they won’t. His Dad died during lockdown and a lot of his family are abroad. So it’s very rarely that I’ll turn him away because I know he often needs that friendly face, a meal and a cup of coffee to keep him sane.

First lockdown he was onboard and understood but this time he’s gone full “it’s a load of shite” and it makes it harder. I dunno. I worry, but also worry about my family. No right answers.

TomRad85

We try. He’s got drink problems and probably drug issues we don’t know about too, we’ve made appointments but he’ll miss them, tried to get his case workers to talk to us but they won’t. His Dad died during lockdown and a lot of his family are abroad. So it’s very rarely that I’ll turn him away because I know he often needs that friendly face, a meal and a cup of coffee to keep him sane.

First lockdown he was onboard and understood but this time he’s gone full “it’s a load of shite” and it makes it harder. I dunno. I worry, but also worry about my family. No right answers.
You should do what is right for your family but it is a tough one. People do need to realise that lockdown for some people is way harder than it is for the likes of you and I. The worst thing I can say personally is I'm bored, which I can tolerate a little longer.

David O'Day

Could be a great week

did you read the story? it's just going to be hospital staff as they can't use it to treat the cat 1 patients who they wanted to go first.

Lets wait to the moderna/AZ vaccine is approved and in use first

SkyBlueDom26

did you read the story? it's just going to be hospital staff as they can't use it to treat the cat 1 patients who they wanted to go first.

Lets wait to the moderna/AZ vaccine is approved and in use first
Good that hospital staff will get it asap, they should be high in the priority list

The only people I know to have had Covid work in the NHS. It has to be the most critical sector to roll out any vaccine first surely.

Although, did I read one vaccine may not stop you getting/transmitting the virus but will stop you getting ill?

David O'Day

Good that hospital staff will get it asap, they should be high in the priority list

yes but they aren't the highest priority

You are doing this again, acting like everything slightly positive is the greatest thing ever instead of being sensible and just being happy things are moving in the right direction.

Any setbacks and you'll be acting like it's the end of the world.

Relax and accept as per the government and expert advice it's likely to be Easter before things start to get back to normal.

SkyBlueDom26

yes but they aren't the highest priority

You are doing this again, acting like everything slightly positive is the greatest thing ever instead of being sensible and just being happy things are moving in the right direction.

Any setbacks and you'll be acting like it's the end of the world.

Relax and accept as per the government and expert advice it's likely to be Easter before things start to get back to normal.
Yeah I've said I think it will be Easter too at the earliest

chiefdave

To follow on from what I posted earlier about my concerns that people are being left to use common sense over Christmas just seen that once we're out of lockdown Primark, and other stores, will be opening 24/7. Why do we swing from one extreme to another? Surely the choice isn't close stores or keep them open 24 hours a day.

David O'Day

The only people I know to have had Covid work in the NHS. It has to be the most critical sector to roll out any vaccine first surely.

Although, did I read one vaccine may not stop you getting/transmitting the virus but will stop you getting ill?

No, I'd say the people most at risk of dying should be the highest priority and they are. The government agrees.

The vast majority of people who have had the virus do not work in the NHS. The majority of people I know who tested positive work in education.

Grendel

To follow on from what I posted earlier about my concerns that people are being left to use common sense over Christmas just seen that once we're out of lockdown Primark, and other stores, will be opening 24/7. Why do we swing from one extreme to another? Surely the choice isn't close stores or keep them open 24 hours a day.

24 hours will be far better in terms of controlling congestion by spreading people over a very long period

David O'Day

at least you can get a new t-shirt if you spew down yours after 1 too many quarter to 10 jagerbombs

Users who are viewing this thread