Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (14 Viewers)

SkyBlueDom26

No doubt they will organise a major news story to break later today or tomorrow to completely distract the nation form this shitfest and take the heat out of it for them.
Will probs approve the vaccine

skybluetony176

Have really tried to give this government the benefit of the doubt up to now, as managing a nation through a pandemic cannot be an easy thing to do, but the amount of complete and utter fuck ups they have managed to deliver to the nation, time after time, knows no limits, and shows no signs of improving any time soon.
Have lost faith in their ability to govern the country in any way shape or form. I genuinely worry about the distribution of the vaccine with this bunch of arseholes in charge!!
The bit that really gets me is their clear inability through ignorance and cronyism to not learn from their mistakes. To get something wrong once in uncharted waters is to a certain degree forgivable but to keep repeating the same mistakes is something else.
Look at how well testing, tracking and tracing has worked in Liverpool when the local authorities take over. Yet they keep spaffing billions on Dido’s track and trace and private testing.
I heard on the radio today that not only is Dido’s track and trace only contacting about 50% of the people that they need to trace the vast majority of those are people from the same household as the person who tested positive. In essence I test positive and they ring my wife who’s sitting next to me and already knows to let her know that she’s been in contact with someone who tested positive. The amount of people that they’re contacting to tell them they’ve been in contact with someone and it’s coming as news to them is so negligible that they may as well not bother. Yet the government won’t cancel the contract and Mhancock stood up in parliament again today and patted them on the back.

RedSalmon

The bit that really gets me is their clear inability through ignorance and cronyism to not learn from their mistakes. To get something wrong once in uncharted waters is to a certain degree forgivable but to keep repeating the same mistakes is something else.
Look at how well testing, tracking and tracing has worked in Liverpool when the local authorities take over. Yet they keep spaffing billions on Dido’s track and trace and private testing.
I heard on the radio today that not only is Dido’s track and trace only contacting about 50% of the people that they need to trace the vast majority of those are people from the same household as the person who tested positive. In essence I test positive and they ring my wife who’s sitting next to me and already knows to let her know that she’s been in contact with someone who tested positive. The amount of people that they’re contacting to tell them they’ve been in contact with someone and it’s coming as news to them is so negligible that they may as well not bother. Yet the government won’t cancel the contract and Mhancock stood up in parliament again today and patted them on the back.

There is a really good explanation of how useless the track and trace system is in the Guardian on line under the heading "Untested, untraced: how three-quarters of Covid contacts slip through the cracks". It's a real eye opener. I would post a link but no idea how to it.

fernandopartridge

It will. These things always do with time, anyway. Spanish flu is the fine example. Second wave of that was horrendous, third wave was pretty bad, then it started getting further away. Meantime, people can catch up in how to deal with it.

And that's the thing, this is short term pain for long term gain. This is a very small period of your life (hopefully) to maximise the chances of the rest of your life being pleasurable.

Spanish flu still exists you know or descendants of it!

clint van damme

Odds on them fucking up the vaccine distribution?

well they rang me about a position so their recruitment team are fucking idiots for a start!
In all seriousness, the Pfizer vaccine does sound like a real challenge to distribute given the temperatures it needs to be kept at but the Oxford vaccine sounds a lot simpler to store and distribute so hopefully it will be OK.

skybluetony176

well they rang me about a position so their recruitment team are fucking idiots for a start!
In all seriousness, the Pfizer vaccine does sound like a real challenge to distribute given the temperatures it needs to be kept at but the Oxford vaccine sounds a lot simpler to store and distribute so hopefully it will be OK.
Cheaper too. I know it’s not the most effective but it’s cost effective benefit is so good it’s more likely to be administered to the vast majority. I recon NHS staff will get the Pfizer one due to its difficulties to store, the most vulnerable will get the American one and everyone else will get the Oxford one initially. Hopefully that will be enough to trigger the fabled herd immunity too which in turn will make the Oxford vaccine more successful.

NorthernWisdom

We did / have struggled with the increased demand for the flu vaccine this year. tbf that's not surprising, but I hope we don't make big promises and panic trying to meet them. If we just do it methodically, we'll be alright.

fernandopartridge

I saw something on Twitter about NHS Trusts being contacted now to ask if they can commit to administering from next week, sounds amateurish as ever,

Philosorapter

Can't see this latest update being much different than this. Of course, Cummings has returned to Epsilon-5.

Brighton Sky Blue

That’s shit mate. Light at the end of the tunnel, another 4/5 months and we are out of this hell

Which turns it into a year or more all in. It feels like there’s no end in sight and no relief either at work or home. Sorry to be a pessimist just how it feels

RedSalmon

Which turns it into a year or more all in. It feels like there’s no end in sight and no relief either at work or home. Sorry to be a pessimist just how it feels

Utterly agree, have no faith that the people making the decisions know what they are doing and that is the most depressing aspect.

hill83

Talk of the half dose full dose Oxford vaccine trials was only given to a sample of 3000 people and nobody over 55. So the 90% isn’t looking as strong as originally thought.

chiefdave

Talk of the half dose full dose Oxford vaccine trials was only given to a sample of 3000 people and nobody over 55. So the 90% isn’t looking as strong as originally thought.
The issue seems to be it was done by accident. Obviously its good they did if it led to them discovering the half dose works better. The question now is do they have to go back to the start of the testing as the results they've published aren't consistent with the testing they were proposing to do or can the results of the incorrect dose be used.

shmmeee

When you’re going through hell keep going.

It’ll end mate and you’ll be back to the pub after a day of proper teaching before you know it.

If it helps at all the missus works in pharmacy stores at UHCW and said today they’re getting the Pfizer vaccine in on Monday. Cant imagine they’d send it out too long before it’s going to be used and that’s about a full month before schedule if they’re starting early December.

Brighton Sky Blue

When you’re going through hell keep going.

It’ll end mate and you’ll be back to the pub after a day of proper teaching before you know it.

If it helps at all the missus works in pharmacy stores at UHCW and said today they’re getting the Pfizer vaccine in on Monday. Cant imagine they’d send it out too long before it’s going to be used and that’s about a full month before schedule if they’re starting early December.

It really doesn’t help that the missus is doom mongering about wedding being cancelled in the summer. If that is also ruined by this I don’t know how I’d handle it

David O'Day

The issue seems to be it was done by accident. Obviously its good they did if it led to them discovering the half dose works better. The question now is do they have to go back to the start of the testing as the results they've published aren't consistent with the testing they were proposing to do or can the results of the incorrect dose be used.

The HRA will still give it an emergency thumbs up, the FDA may not but that works for us.

wingy

Why do you keep saying downplayed? The latest claims about the AZ trials (if you take them seriously) would surely argue the opposite?
If you remember I felt at the time there was a reason the figure of 70% was being emphasised over the apparent 90% success of the subset trial .
But didn't know the reason which was perplexing to me.
Now it's been clarified that the subset had an age ceiling ,which isn't a full trial when compared with the double full dose excercise .
So it's now clarified for me the reasoning behind the promotion of the 70% figure .
No drama.👍

Liquid Gold

I've booked in to the boozer for opening evening

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread