Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (4 Viewers)

chiefdave

Anyone else get the feeling Whitty isn't on board with the tiers or the relaxation at Christmas from tonights briefing?

Made it very clear the tiers were decided by government and when talking about hugging your relatives at Christmas said "no I would not if you want them to survive to be hugged again". Also said people would have to use their own sense in deciding what to do which to me implies what you've been told you can do is not right.

Also said he expects tier 2 to be stable but not lower cases and tier 1 is likely to see cases increase.

chiefdave

Vaccine delayed, fuck me 2020 just keeps delivering cba anymore
Only the Astra one isn't it which was the last one to be announced. Plans were already underway to get the Pzier out to people before we even knew about the success of Astra.

So obviously not brilliant news but good that they are properly testing things and not a case of back to square one.

SkyBlueDom26

Only the Astra one isn't it which was the last one to be announced. Plans were already underway to get the Pzier out to people before we even knew about the success of Astra.

So obviously not brilliant news but good that they are properly testing things and not a case of back to square one.
It’s the one we’ll need to get back to normal and they fuck up the dosage, absolutely useless

chiefdave

It’s the one we’ll need to get back to normal and they fuck up the dosage, absolutely useless
Reading what their CEO actually said it looks like the impact will be minimal at most. Said they needed another international study, which would be faster given the data they already have, because the FDA won't accept data from studies outside the US. Also said there was not expected to be any delay in approval for use in the UK or EU and that was still on course to be before the end of the year.

fernandopartridge

When you’re going through hell keep going.

It’ll end mate and you’ll be back to the pub after a day of proper teaching before you know it.

If it helps at all the missus works in pharmacy stores at UHCW and said today they’re getting the Pfizer vaccine in on Monday. Cant imagine they’d send it out too long before it’s going to be used and that’s about a full month before schedule if they’re starting early December.
Aye, tallies with what I saw in twitter. I was speaking to an NHS commissioner in London who was busy yesterday vaccine planning so it's deffo happening

fernandopartridge

Delayed from what date though? There wasn’t one. Just paper talk.
They've manufactured it in any case, they took the risk to do that even before the phase 3 tests they have done already. This delay (if it really is one) gives the NHS time to properly coordinate a vaccination programme, it might in the end be a blessing in disguise

chiefdave

Worth pointing out what the scientists were saying when the results of the first couple of vaccines came out at 90% effective. It was said that was a very high figure.

Even if you take the 70% figure for Astra it seems that's still very good for a vaccine and more in the range that was expected when they started work on finding a vaccine.

Also have to consider that we have 40m doses of Pfizer on order with 10m due this year and another 5m on order from Moderna. It seems to me these would have been the vaccines used for the higher risk groups with the Astra one following for everyone else. Don't see anything in this news that changes that.

LastGarrison

Because the infection rate is lower than it is in say, Coventry.
But London is huge and different areas have vastly different infection rates.

For example a couple of my mates live down in London with one of them in Havering where their infection rate is 343 cases per 100k but they are lumped in as tier 2.

On the plus side for Cov we have the lateral testing for students starting next week so hopefully this combined with Tier 3 may see our infection rate drop dramatically with a hope that on the 16th we could potentially move down to Tier 2.

In other news I also heard today that Cov Uni has been selected as one of the unis chosen to administer the vaccine.

Skybluefaz

More graphs to make you angry:

giphy.gif

Grendel

The only thing I can think of as to why Cov is Tier 3 is that surrounding areas are and they need to protect UHCW capacity just in case

If I lived in Stratford I’d be annoyed

fernandopartridge

This is interesting, don't tell me that the Tories have not made a number of decisions on party lines.

My local authority risk score is 41.69, which is lower than quite a number of T2 places. Cov is even lower at 31.5 and Warwick and Stratford lower still

NorthernWisdom

If I lived in Stratford I’d be annoyed
Somebody told me Warwick hospital was at capacity. As ever, who knows if they're telling the truth or spouting bollocks. If in doubt, I'd err on the latter but, if so, that would justify it.

The interesting bit is the area past Southam. They identify more with Oxfordshire, so are confused why they're shut down, but Banbury isn't as much. Guess you have to draw an arbitrary line somewhere.

NorthernWisdom

Alongside all the other things that are pissing me off is the thick fucking dickheads saying that lockdown has made things worse as we were tier 2 before but now we are tier 3.

No dickhead, the government has changed the parameters. Why are people so thick.
Yeah. tbf to my mind, every area should have been tier 3 before a national lockdown (how can you go from not so bad to OMG!!!???) and coming out of a national lockdown, it's not that surprising really that areas start off high, really.

This actually reassures *me* more than if they'd just told us to go our merry way!

SBAndy

Alongside all the other things that are pissing me off is the thick fucking dickheads saying that lockdown has made things worse as we were tier 2 before but now we are tier 3.

No dickhead, the government has changed the parameters. Why are people so thick.

Thing is (and I say this as part of the Thick Fucking Dickheads brigade) that is exactly how it feels when there is no fucking consistency from one week/month to another. This entire thing has been a mishmash of tier systems, the 5 stages earlier on in the pandemic which quietly went away, mixed messaging from Government and scientific officials. To be frank, it’s a fucking mess and doesn’t stand up to the slightest bit of scrutiny. I’m absolutely fine with restrictions being in place by the way, but you’d think now 8 months into the situation they’d be able to deliver their message in a more clear and concise manner.

fernandopartridge

Thing is (and I say this as part of the Thick Fucking Dickheads brigade) that is exactly how it feels when there is no fucking consistency from one week/month to another. This entire thing has been a mishmash of tier systems, the 5 stages earlier on in the pandemic which quietly went away, mixed messaging from Government and scientific officials. To be frank, it’s a fucking mess and doesn’t stand up to the slightest bit of scrutiny. I’m absolutely fine with restrictions being in place by the way, but you’d think now 8 months into the situation they’d be able to deliver their message in a more clear and concise manner.

The google sheet I have enclosed above seems logical enough, i.e. there is a methodology for calculating risk. The issue is that the outcome is ignored.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This is interesting, don't tell me that the Tories have not made a number of decisions on party lines.

My local authority risk score is 41.69, which is lower than quite a number of T2 places. Cov is even lower at 31.5 and Warwick and Stratford lower still

Let's just say I wasn't surprised to find that London and the home counties all escaped tier 3 but the midlands/north didn't (except Liverpool who were pretty compliant when the last set of extra measures were put in).

It certainly doesn't look like they're solely using scientific data and there's a fair bit of political shenanigans going on too.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Somebody told me Warwick hospital was at capacity. As ever, who knows if they're telling the truth or spouting bollocks. If in doubt, I'd err on the latter but, if so, that would justify it.

The interesting bit is the area past Southam. They identify more with Oxfordshire, so are confused why they're shut down, but Banbury isn't as much. Guess you have to draw an arbitrary line somewhere.

They may identify more with Oxfordshire, but I guess it's more to do with where people work etc. That may well be Oxfordshire for all I know, but I'd have thought a significant number would work in the Midlands

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm fully expecting the parameters, measures and everything else to shift again before Xmas and everything get reclassified. Most of those on eased restrictions now would've been under very tight restrictions just a few months ago based on cases/capacity etc. Instead cases have gone up so we'll just move the goalposts to allow for a higher number of cases. That ain't how it works. If by Jan everyone's double what they are now they'll just rejig it so that the restrictions come in at a higher level of cases. Pointless.

Choose the metrics, place acceptable infection/case levels for certain restrictions to come into force and set out what those restrictions are. THEN FUCKING STICK TO IT!

fernandopartridge

Case numbers and admissions going in the right direction most certainly, and as much as its frustrating I think most of the country being in T3 is the correct call, not just for COVID but it will help to avoid flu outbreaks too.

1606502737970.png

Brylowes

Aren’t most of our hospitals at capacity every Winter,

CCFCSteve

I’m not going to get into the whole tier discussion as I’m guessing we’re all a bit f*cked off (well those of us in T3)

A couple of easy wins for the government though:

Why not just disclose full commentary/data on for each of the five criteria for each region so at least theres some proper visibility ?

Also, why not agree to review on a weekly basis ?

Finally, one for the teachers, have any of your schools/unions proposed shifting term times back to allow an additional closure (further extended circuit break) during peak transmission/higher risk period ie have an extra week off around Xmas and/or new year half term, but then finish year at the end July/early August. Surely if we’re expecting this winter period to be the worst period for risk and nhs pressure then pushing schooling more into the summer would make sense (appreciate not ideal for teachers or students/parents but safer all around and would allow proper or better suppression periods prior to vaccine roll out)

ps keep your chins up all...the end is hopefully at least in sight...even if it might feel a little far away at present !

Brighton Sky Blue

I’m not going to get into the whole tier discussion as I’m guessing we’re all a bit f*cked off (well those of us in T3)

A couple of easy wins for the government though:

Why not just disclose full commentary/data on for each of the five criteria for each region so at least theres some proper visibility ?

Also, why not agree to review on a weekly basis ?

Finally, one for the teachers, have any of your schools/unions proposed shifting term times back to allow an additional closure (further extended circuit break) during peak transmission/higher risk period ie have an extra week off around Xmas and/or new year half term, but then finish year at the end July/early August. Surely if we’re expecting this winter period to be the worst period for risk and nhs pressure then pushing schooling more into the summer would make sense (appreciate not ideal for teachers or students/parents but safer all around and would allow proper or better suppression periods prior to vaccine roll out)

ps keep your chins up all...the end is hopefully at least in sight...even if it might feel a little far away at present !

No and nothing says ‘dumpster fire’ more than cutting short the holiday after all we’ve had to contend with. My view has long been either let me teach normally in every sense or go remote for as long as deemed appropriate. The halfway house being imposed with the pressure on me to still deliver ‘normal’ education is what’s driving me insane

SBAndy

No and nothing says ‘dumpster fire’ more than cutting short the holiday after all we’ve had to contend with. My view has long been either let me teach normally in every sense or go remote for as long as deemed appropriate. The halfway house being imposed with the pressure on me to still deliver ‘normal’ education is what’s driving me insane

From the outside looking in, it does/did feel like quite a sensible idea. However, it would have had to come over the summer - to be honest I’m amazed they didn’t look to do something akin to this, having 2-week half terms in October and February with that time taken from the summer holidays. In practice, you will of course know more than me about whether that would be logistically possible. Nevertheless, it’s ideas after the matter. Needed creative thinking during May/June kind of time.

Brighton Sky Blue

From the outside looking in, it does/did feel like quite a sensible idea. However, it would have had to come over the summer - to be honest I’m amazed they didn’t look to do something akin to this, having 2-week half terms in October and February with that time taken from the summer holidays. In practice, you will of course know more than me about whether that would be logistically possible. Nevertheless, it’s ideas after the matter. Needed creative thinking during May/June kind of time.

A better idea I think would have been to borrow the idea from most private schools of just having longer school days so overall you’re in for fewer days but similar hours. Then you can in fact have a longer holiday at the end and in between

Users who are viewing this thread