Conor Chaplin (4 Viewers)

Mucca Mad Boys

I do think there is something in there. We should concentrate on our own strengths rather than trying to defend simply in order to stop the opposition.

We clearly do have some pacy attacking threat in Thomas and Bayliss and Chaplin and Hiwula.

Disagreed. His win % speaks for itself so must be something right over his two spells at the club. He’s not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but he’s done a great job. His approach has always been quite counter-attacking, even in his first spell.

He’s a pragmatist and just because we don’t go into every game with a ‘gung-ho’ approach to attacking, doesn’t mean he’s ‘negative’ or too focused on the opposition. This was a tough away game, so it wouldn’t surprise me if we did setup to snatch a win or draw. Burton will be 1 point behind us if they win their game in hand and have just come from the Championship — this was a tough fixture.

We’ve just been unbeaten for 6 games, playing Charlton, Stanley, Doncaster and Southend (we ended a run of theirs) with the only ‘easy’ game being Bradford away. Not to mention before the run we had tough games v Sunderland and Portsmouth. We’re doing v well in my estimation.

Magwitch

Agree, it’s the next match that is important, always is, a good performance and result puts us back on course.?if I was given where we are now at the beginning of the season I’d have snapped their hands off

higgs

Should we be getting more out of a 500k signing?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Otis

Disagreed. His win % speaks for itself so must be something right over his two spells at the club. He’s not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but he’s done a great job. His approach has always been quite counter-attacking, even in his first spell.

He’s a pragmatist and just because we don’t go into every game with a ‘gung-ho’ approach to attacking, doesn’t mean he’s ‘negative’ or too focused on the opposition. This was a tough away game, so it wouldn’t surprise me if we did setup to snatch a win or draw. Burton will be 1 point behind us if they win their game in hand and have just come from the Championship — this was a tough fixture.

We’ve just been unbeaten for 6 games, playing Charlton, Stanley, Doncaster and Southend (we ended a run of theirs) with the only ‘easy’ game being Bradford away. Not to mention before the run we had tough games v Sunderland and Portsmouth. We’re doing v well in my estimation.
I didn't say we weren't.

Just sometimes Robins seemingly sets us up not to lose and yet we have clear match winners in our team with attacking attributes.

Mucca Mad Boys

I didn't say we weren't.

Just sometimes Robins seemingly sets us up not to lose and yet we have clear match winners in our team with attacking attributes.

That’s a sensible approach to have, if you don’t concede, you can’t lose. Building a team on a solid defence (in any sport) is a more reliable model of producing winning outcomes than building it on a great attack. We had a great attack in Pressley’s first full season, and there’s no point being able to score 3-5 goals if you’ll concede just as many. Burton are a good team you’ll expect to be up there around the playoffs. A draw would’ve been a good result and it seems like the players had an off day, which is forgivable if we nip in the bud.

Nonleagueherewecome

I don't think anyone is calling for him to go totally gung-ho and play all out attack, just to give more creative freedom and tweak things so we are a bit more offensive. The same thing happened last season and it led to us playing our best football of the season and getting promoted (which wasn't looking likely with a more cautious approach). A notable example of this was Kelly playing 10-15 yards higher up the pitch (see cut-back by him for goal against Notts C), rather than effectively playing as a second RB as he did for the first part of the season.

This season, the same could be argued for what Bayliss needs in that center mid role, but most notably Chaplin needs to be playing higher up the pitch off JCH if we are going to see more goals from him. He's wasted that deep and of course he won't score as many as McNulty did last season as he's playing a different role to him.

I love Robins to bits, but his defensive leanings do my nut in and always have. His obsession with 2 defensive midfielders at home in his first spell here was so frustrating. Bailey and Jennings didn't exactly carve many defenses apart with their creativity...

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Anyone that has watched us regularly since Chaplin signed will testify that he's been playing far too deep and in transitional phases (when the ball moves from defence to attack especially) he's miles away from JCH which is hampering link-up play, preventing Chaplin from seeing any of the ball and making JCH look ineffective.

Chaplin undoubtedly has quality with the ball to feet but at the moment his off-the ball positioning is making him ineffective. He should be sat on the shoulder of the last defender or at least within a few metres of JCH - or whoever it is in the No 9 position.

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

Anyone think he’s any better than Ponticelli ?
Probably a year or two ahead of him in his development but I did post on here around the time of his signing, "Is Chaplin to Pompey what Ponticelli is to us?".

Mucca Mad Boys

Probably a year or two ahead of him in his development but I did post on here around the time of his signing, "Is Chaplin to Pompey what Ponticelli is to us?".

Well, Chaplin has had a season where he’s scored 10 goals in a season. Ponticelli hasn’t, but I’m looking forward to him getting fit and playing for Macclesfield. I’d like to see him tear it up.

It’s also worth noting that Ponticelli is a very raw talent, clearly gifted at finishing but because of his unconventional route into professional football, is probably behind in other aspects of his game.

Also, if Robins is planning to get us promoted to the Championship, we need players who’ll make a big impact in this season and the next. We’re handling JP’s development well so far.

cc84cov

I think had Ponticelli played the same amount of games as Chaplin has he would ignore scored same if not more.Similar movement I would say slightly stronger & maybe even quicker asks the question about Chaplins signing & if we even needed him.

steve82

Should we be getting more out of a 500k signing?

I think the question should be are we playing to the strengths and attributes of that 500k signing?

Previously he’s been a sub sub like Ole Solskjær was at Utd. Chaplin was introduced generally into a side likely chasing the game and going all out so was asked to be in the 18 yard box as much as possible or off the shoulders.

Here he’s being asked to play differently over 90 mins generally and deeper at times.

If I was MR and in ideal situations I know what I’d be doing with him, however that would also mean a few additions to the side which cannot be done overnight or maybe even this window.

It’s a work in progress situation in my eyes currently

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hobo

I don’t think many supporters will get disillusioned at all. Most are positive
He has missed glaring chances......

But you are a bit of a doubting Thomas, but you have also cleverly hedged your bets?

I am more interested in the cohesion of the team, than individuals. Signing McNulty was inspired by Robins, Chaplin is a worthwhile punt when there isn't another McNulty around. Along with Hiwula it means Ponticelli gets a welcome break from over expectation.

Otis

That’s a sensible approach to have, if you don’t concede, you can’t lose. Building a team on a solid defence (in any sport) is a more reliable model of producing winning outcomes than building it on a great attack. We had a great attack in Pressley’s first full season, and there’s no point being able to score 3-5 goals if you’ll concede just as many. Burton are a good team you’ll expect to be up there around the playoffs. A draw would’ve been a good result and it seems like the players had an off day, which is forgivable if we nip in the bud.
Not sure it is sensible, Mucca, not considering we only have 4 clean sheets all season, including all the cup competitions too.

If we had a great defence, then yes, but we don't.

We also tend to struggle when going a goal down too.

fernandopartridge

I think had Ponticelli played the same amount of games as Chaplin has he would ignore scored same if not more.Similar movement I would say slightly stronger & maybe even quicker asks the question about Chaplins signing & if we even needed him.
Christ almighty

Warwickhunt

We’ve signed a 21 year old for 4 years and you’re judging him after 14 games. Like many, you’re way too quick to judge over a v small time frame.
cannot really judge him until MR plays to his strengths! and not having to come back to fetch the ball to get into the game

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

In all fairness. A lot.

The header from 2 yards out at Chesterfield is in my top 3 misses from Coventry players ever. He missed two other sitters that day alone.
Forgot the header! He was also straight through in that game and I was already up celebrating only for him to put it wide.. must admit that’s when I lost patience in him, had a right rant after that game

skybluegod

I think the question should be are we playing to the strengths and attributes of that 500k signing?

Previously he’s been a sub sub like Ole Solskjær was at Utd. Chaplin was introduced generally into a side likely chasing the game and going all out so was asked to be in the 18 yard box as much as possible or off the shoulders.

Here he’s being asked to play differently over 90 mins generally and deeper at times.

If I was MR and in ideal situations I know what I’d be doing with him, however that would also mean a few additions to the side which cannot be done overnight or maybe even this window.

It’s a work in progress situation in my eyes currently

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree, if we are to get the best of him, we need to play to his strengths, I'm not sure JCH is the right partner. Need a LW, and CM, to add to the side... Not just to help Chaplin but in general.

higgs

He's turning out to be a costly midfielder if he's going to be played out of position

Mucca Mad Boys

Not sure it is sensible, Mucca, not considering we only have 4 clean sheets all season, including all the cup competitions too.

If we had a great defence, then yes, but we don't.

We also tend to struggle when going a goal down too.

Only 5 teams have conceded less than us in the league, one of those teams being Bristol Rovers, who are 21st (unbelievably, they've scored less than the 16 goals they've conceded). Our defence is performing very well, clean sheets isn't the be all and end all in measuring defence. 4 of the teams who have conceded less than us also have a game in hand so if a few of them concede a few, the picture could look even more favourable for us.

We've also won more than we've lost, and the last 10 games or so have been difficult for us - we should be hoping to kick on when we have an 'easier' schedule.

On your last point, last season we were particularly poor in coming back from behind, only winning two games from losing positions. This season we've come back to snatch a few draws and a win v Charlton from behind - seems like we've improved from last season in that regard. Whilst I don't have the statistical data at hand, most teams tend to struggle when going behind, so the key is to not concede first as opposed to working on coming back from behind.

ccfchoi87

Chaplin’s League Starts:

Oxford 1-2 Coventry W
Coventry 1-0 Barnsley W
Bristol Rovers 3-1 Coventry L
Coventry 1-1 Sunderland D
Charlton 1-2 Coventry W
Coventry 1-0 Wycombe W
Southend 1-2 Coventry W
Bradford 2-4 Coventry W
Coventry 2-1 Doncaster W
Coventry 1-1 Accrington D
Burton 1-0 Coventry L

Total:

7 wins
2 draws
2 losses

3 goals

Mucca Mad Boys

Two very important factors for a striker, i'd say!

Chaplin scored 11 goals in L2 in his first full season as an 18/19 year old, mainly as a substitute. Please don’t compare the two because JP hasn’t proved anything yet.

Ponticelli seems to have genuine talent, but to compare him and Chaplin is ridiculous at this stage. Just because he scores a hatful for the U23s, does not mean he can lead the line for a top half L1 outfit.

Whilst JP’s minutes per goal was good last season, Chaplin’s minutes per goal was comparable to McNulty before he came to us, and so far is about a 1 in 4 goalscorer as a starter. Both players have a lot of developing to do.

Greggs

Chaplin scored 11 goals in L2 in his first full season as an 18/19 year old, mainly as a substitute. Please don’t compare the two because JP hasn’t proved anything yet.

Ponticelli seems to have genuine talent, but to compare him and Chaplin is ridiculous at this stage. Just because he scores a hatful for the U23s, does not mean he can lead the line for a top half L1 outfit.

Whilst JP’s minutes per goal was good last season, Chaplin’s minutes per goal was comparable to McNulty before he came to us, and so far is about a 1 in 4 goalscorer as a starter. Both players have a lot of developing to do.
where have i compared them? Just stated important skills for a forward

Esoterica

Only 5 teams have conceded less than us in the league, one of those teams being Bristol Rovers, who are 21st (unbelievably, they've scored less than the 16 goals they've conceded). Our defence is performing very well, clean sheets isn't the be all and end all in measuring defence. 4 of the teams who have conceded less than us also have a game in hand so if a few of them concede a few, the picture could look even more favourable for us.

We've also won more than we've lost, and the last 10 games or so have been difficult for us - we should be hoping to kick on when we have an 'easier' schedule.

On your last point, last season we were particularly poor in coming back from behind, only winning two games from losing positions. This season we've come back to snatch a few draws and a win v Charlton from behind - seems like we've improved from last season in that regard. Whilst I don't have the statistical data at hand, most teams tend to struggle when going behind, so the key is to not concede first as opposed to working on coming back from behind.
If you take the stat as ( Equalizer goals scored / Goals giving lead to opponent ) * 100 then the stats for this season and the last are:
upload_2018-11-20_16-52-24.png

Interesting comparisons against the 3 very different promoted teams in Accrington (tightly organised), Luton (freescoring), Wycombe (Score a lot concede a lot). I went into it with an open mind but it does suggest, to me at least, that our perceived inability to affect games when we go behind is based on some merit and inferior to that of our rivals. Might expand that table out to the whole division, just out of interest.

Shout out to Wimbledon too who have not scored an equaliser all season! Also included our L1 relegation percentages too just to show how spineless we were!

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

If you take the stat as ( Equalizer goals scored / Goals giving lead to opponent ) * 100 then the stats for this season and the last are:
View attachment 10975

Interesting comparisons against the 3 very different promoted teams in Accrington (tightly organised), Luton (freescoring), Wycombe (Score a lot concede a lot). I went into it with an open mind but it does suggest, to me at least, that our perceived inability to affect games when we go behind is based on some merit and inferior to that of our rivals. Might expand that table out to the whole division, just out of interest.

Shout out to Wimbledon too who have not scored an equaliser all season! Also included our L1 relegation percentages too just to show how spineless we were!

Some real good work here.

I imagine our %s will change for the better in the coming weeks as our fixture list eases up. These last 10 games have, in the bigger picture, been very difficult and we’ve done very well. Also factoring in our slow start. I’m hopeful for this season.

Greggs

View attachment 10975

This is actually the first 'chart' type evidence I've actually understood! Good work! I've found you a new profile pic.....
01ASTYPB

Nonleagueherewecome

Actually, Ponticelli had a better goals to minute ratio than McNulty last season!

Users who are viewing this thread