Conor Chaplin (2 Viewers)

Sick Boy

He's okay and it's his hard to judge him as he hasnt played consistently before us. Those who were claiming their bets on him being top scorer was like printing money need their heads testing.

Last edited:

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I don't think he'll score double figures to be honest.

Maybe an investment, but it's hard to swallow when we had such a good striker last season we've now lost. Might be a shit comparison, but it's hard not to make it.

Otis

I like him.

It's down to MR and training schemes to make sure he's when he should be in the pitch instead of him chasing lost causes.

He's trying to do it all at the moment and that needs tempering.

Grendel

I like him.

It's down to MR and training schemes to make sure he's when he should be in the pitch instead of him chasing lost causes.

He's trying to do it all at the moment and that needs tempering.

He has missed glaring chances

johnwillomagic

A very difficult comparison...for starters McNulty was playing League 2 whereas Chaplin is playing a league above.
What had McNulty done this year in the Championship?.....would he be as effective in League one as he was in League 2?
Would Chaplin destroy league 2 defences? I think his movement probably would have done - this league is a step up from last year!

For example Grimmer was a fave in League 2 last year look where he is now....what's to say McNulty wouldn't be the same scenario as Grimmer in league one?

pusbccfc

Chaplin will not get double figures.

Grendel

He has, but so did McNulty early doors last season.

Fact is and it's something we all accept, Chaplin isn't in the box in key areas enough.

What glaring chances did mcnulty miss?

no_loyalty

He seems to be getting worse game by game, can't remember him having a shot today. I hope he gets a goal soon, it might give him that spark to start scoring regularly.

Mucca Mad Boys

He's slowed down though.

Not really. There were 4 games between his 1st and 2nd goals, and then 1 game between his 3rd goal. There have been 3 (4 if you want to include his 13m v Walsall) games since his last goal. To say he's 'slowing down' after a 3 game drought is ridiculous. If you break down his appearances into blocks of four, today's game was the first of a new block - so needs to score once in the next 3 games to keep up his current ratio. 1 in 4 is a solid return for a striker.

higgs

I think sparky would score goals in this division

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Grendel

Not really. There were 4 games between his 1st and 2nd goals, and then 1 game between his 3rd goal. There have been 3 (4 if you want to include his 13m v Walsall) games since his last goal. To say he's 'slowing down' after a 3 game drought is ridiculous. If you break down his appearances into blocks of four, today's game was the first of a new block - so needs to score once in the next 3 games to keep up his current ratio. 1 in 4 is a solid return for a striker.

Fair enough but the fact is he’s cost more than most forwards in the division this season.

In fact if you believe the figures quoted close to £1 million has been spent on 3 forwards - none of whom I’d bet my mortgage on scoring double figures this season

larry_david

That header against Chesterfield, he also missed a one on one late in that game, put it wide. Cost me 300 that day. Seem to remember him missing a header from a yard out against Yeovil at home. Although I do love mcnulty and would have him back asap

cc84cov

People need to remember what we were told by Pompey fans play him upfront with Target man they didn’t say isolate him in front of the midfield.Robins is playing him too deep it’s not his game playing him deep I suspect to help out with Doyle’s ageing legs same reason we restrict Baylis from getting beyond the strikers too.

Grendel

People need to remember what we were told by Pompey fans play him upfront with Target man they didn’t say isolate him in front of the midfield.Robins is playing him too deep it’s not his game playing him deep I suspect to help out with Doyle’s ageing legs same reason we restrict Baylis from getting beyond the strikers too.

He’s had some clear cut chances and fluffed them

The question I guess is if he was on loan until the end of December and there was a choice of spending half a million would you.

The jury to me is out and comments about “him coming good” are purely based on the fact a striker with far more proven experience did do last season

cc84cov

He’s had some clear cut chances and fluffed them

The question I guess is if he was on loan until the end of December and there was a choice of spending half a million would you.

The jury to me is out and comments about “him coming good” are purely based on the fact a striker with far more proven experience did do last season
Good question but have we got a choice or is it set in stone we have to sign him ? It’s still early ish days and I don’t feel he’s being played in his correct position with the right strike partner to get thr best from him.

Mucca Mad Boys

Fair enough but the fact is he’s cost more than most forwards in the division this season.

In fact if you believe the figures quoted close to £1 million has been spent on 3 forwards - none of whom I’d bet my mortgage on scoring double figures this season

Hiwula, JCH and Chaplin are all projected to hit double figures. Chaplin hasn’t really set the world alight yet but it’s a case of being patient, like with McNulty. Hiwula, Chaplin and Bakayoko are all young men with a lot developing left to do so their prices are probably a bit inflated because we’re paying for potential. Hiwula scored 12 last season in all competitions so it’s reasonable that he’ll score about 10 league goals he scored 8 in 43 apps (21 starts, 22 off the bench).

It’s clear that Robins has a lot of faith in Chaplin, like he did with McNulty, so I’m trusting the process and reserving judgement for now.

Last season, I remember making a projection that McNulty would score roughly 17 goals (based off his loan spell at Pompey) at the time of a lot of people criticising him. That projection seemed a bit high at the time, yet he went on to smash that one out of the park. Projections have their merits and of course aren’t always accurate.

In frustrating 1-0 loses fans naturally look to the strikers and expect them to score. But even the best strikers in a league will struggle to better a ratio of 1 in 2. If anyone did the simple maths, strikers won’t score in half of their games. Bearing in mind most forwards have games where they score 2+ in a game, the actual amount of fixtures they score in is probably about 1 in 3 games — that’s roughly McNulty’s ratio and his goalscoring in 2018 was only surpassed by Kane and Salah. That’s also why we struggled when he didn’t score.

Just to put things into context.

One last point, we’ve neglected just how important set pieces were in our latest run, we scored off a set play in the Southend, Doncaster and 2 in the Bradford game. 2 games decided by the one goal. How did we concede today? Off a set play.

Hobo

Part of Chaplin's problem is the City fans who always over hype a signing then get disillusioned with them really quickly.

He is a young player with potential who wasn't getting games at Portsmouth. He is learning his trade and playing week in week out is part of that, rather than an impact player off the bench.

Signing Chaplin wasn't a guarantee for us to make the play offs.

Nick

Administrator
It looks as if he is going backwards rather than learning, have a feeling that's tactical rather than him.

When he first signed he was on the last man's shoulder and constantly looking to be put through on goal.

Grendel

Part of Chaplin's problem is the City fans who always over hype a signing then get disillusioned with them really quickly.

He is a young player with potential who wasn't getting games at Portsmouth. He is learning his trade and playing week in week out is part of that, rather than an impact player off the bench.

Signing Chaplin wasn't a guarantee for us to make the play offs.

I don’t think many supporters will get disillusioned at all. Most are positive

cc84cov

It looks as if he is going backwards rather than learning, have a feeling that's tactical rather than him.

When he first signed he was on the last man's shoulder and constantly looking to be put through on goal.
Spot on nick

Otis

Agree.

Can only think Robins is giving him licence to do what he's doing at the moment, being the busy little bee all over the place.

pusbccfc

This. Robins is going back to playing negative football.

When he let the forwards run free like the latter stages of last season, players like Sparky and Biamou played the best football of their careers.

Warwickhunt

Robins worries to much about the opposition rather than setting our team up to win if you ask me.

Otis

Robins worries to much about the opposition rather than setting our team up to win if you ask me.
I do think there is something in there. We should concentrate on our own strengths rather than trying to defend simply in order to stop the opposition.

We clearly do have some pacy attacking threat in Thomas and Bayliss and Chaplin and Hiwula.

Sky Blue Harry H

I do think there is something in there. We should concentrate on our own strengths rather than trying to defend simply in order to stop the opposition.

We clearly do have some pacy attacking threat in Thomas and Bayliss and Chaplin and Hiwula.

Although I get this argument, MR will probably think that Burton were a decent team, and with our proper side we have won 5 of the previous 6 league games and drawn against Accy. Because of this, I doubt he will change his mindset. A worry for me is that if Jones doesn't recapture his old form, we will become increasingly reliant on Derby letting us keep Thomas in January, for our attacking threat. I also have a sneaking desire to have Thomas playing in the centre of the park, as his energy and ability may help influence the game even more.

Users who are viewing this thread