Conor Chaplin (1 Viewer)

higgs

Is he the answer to replacing mcnulty has he scored enough goals for 500k?

Do we have to sign him in January?

Could we use the funds to re sign mcnulty?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Londonccfcfan

Hes a good striker, but hes no Marc McNulty just yet! theres no doubt in my mind McNulty would have stepped up at this level and banged in at least half a dozen!
Championship is maybe a step/jump too big for him.

Chaplin is far from finished article, Robins will improve him and he has every chance to improve further. Keep definitely sign in January as he is different to our other strikers.

steve82

No play him as a pair, play him up front off a target man by trade and goals will flow.

It’s no good him searching for the ball in midfield linking play up, keep him off the shoulders with Jaydon Stockley type and you’ve 15 goals easy.

Potential is there to see, just not playing to his strengths

We also need to remember he’s young and left the club, community he’s grown up in and adapting to a new manager, set up, team mates and living under the tag of a marquee signing with McNultys boots to fill.

No pressure....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mucca Mad Boys

Chaplin has 3 goals and 2 assists in 11 games, so far, he’s a 1 in 4 striker which is not bad at all. He’s doing quite well and still 21 so he’s absolutely worth the money.

Comparatively, McNulty scored 4 in first 21 games and apparently wasn’t a ‘natural goalscorer’ until about January last season.

Last edited:

steve82

Out of interest why would you not?

WhaleOilBeefHooked

There were similar posts around this time last year with McNulty.

I have faith he'll improve... But I don't think he'll be as prolific as McNulty. He doesn't seem to have the turn of pace or predatory instinct. I think he'll be a good team-up with JCH who has markedly improved this season (which I didn't think I'd be saying after the first few games!).

Mucca Mad Boys

There were similar posts around this time last year with McNulty.

I have faith he'll improve... But I don't think he'll be as prolific as McNulty. He doesn't seem to have the turn of pace or predatory instinct. I think he'll be a good team-up with JCH who has markedly improved this season (which I didn't think I'd be saying after the first few games!).

The likelihood of McNulty scoring 20+ goals this season for us was unlikely. There’s a few examples of players having stormers in L2 then following it up with a comparatively ‘average’ season, such as Marquis of Doncaster, went from 26 in the league 16/17 to about 14 last season. This said, he is on 8 in 17 this season. McNulty’s record last season, particularly in 2018 was phenomenal, only Salah and Kane were involved in more goals in that calendar year. We certainly profited from that and to get £1.5m for him was decent business and we’ve picked up a few talented young players.

He’s definitely made a mistake rushing to go to Reading because it looks like they could well end up in L1 themselves. It makes you wonder why Reading spent £1.5m on the next ‘Le Fondre’ if they weren’t going to play him!

BrizzolSkyBlue

I work with a Pompey supporter who is convinced Chaplin will come good for us, given time. As has been said before on here, we don't tend to get players who are the finished article because they would be unaffordable for us if they were. We're lucky to have him so let's give the guy our support.

Nick

Administrator
He will get better when he gets more advanced. At the moment sometimes he is more like an attacking midfielder.

I can't remember him having any chances in the box for a while when being put through (yes he scored the header), the only time he has been clean through on goal was the one on one he missed in the home game.

rob9872

I fear it will be like this in eth build up to every window until MM retires. He's the new Gary McSheffrey/Carl Baker.

Magwitch

To be honest if possible and there’s money available I’d bring in another striker January, one who we know scores goals, JCH has played okay, works his socks off, aggressive too but his primary job as a centre forward is to score goals and he isn’t doing that, doesn’t look like scoring, Bakayoko just not cutting it yet if we want to seriously challenge for promotion this season can we afford to wait. ?

As for Chaplin I like him to me has loads of promise and will get better but he’s one of a number in our squad in their first year of first team football at times it shows.

Nick

Administrator
To be honest if possible and there’s money available I’d bring in another striker January, one who we know scores goals

Same was said the same time last year while people still had a semi for James Collins.

Magwitch

To be honest I haven’t really got a clue who I’d go for but I read the other day Jermaine Defoe might be available if we have a spare £30/40k a week knocking about.

fernandopartridge

To be honest if possible and there’s money available I’d bring in another striker January, one who we know scores goals, JCH has played okay, works his socks off, aggressive too but his primary job as a centre forward is to score goals and he isn’t doing that, doesn’t look like scoring, Bakayoko just not cutting it yet if we want to seriously challenge for promotion this season can we afford to wait. ?

As for Chaplin I like him to me has loads of promise and will get better but he’s one of a number in our squad in their first year of first team football at times it shows.

We've just won 5 on the spin, relying on a striker to score all our goals is useless. We're spreading goals around which is far far healthier.

Warwickhunt

Re-signing bloody McNulty

apparently we will get more for our money as he has put on a few stones sitting on the bench comfort eating picnics and mars bars:joyful::joyful::joyful:

no_loyalty

If we could get mcnulty back on loan to score the goals to get us to the playoffs again

No point, it will take him 5 months to start scoring regularly.

Mucca Mad Boys

You have ridiculously high expectations. We have 4 players who are roughly scoring 1 in 4 (Hiwula slightly under that, Bakayoko over it, with Chaplin and JCH striking in 4).You’re judging players on a very small time scale, as you cannot judge a player over 15-20 games. 1 in 4 goals translates to roughly 11 goals over a season and Chaplin, JCH and Hiwula are all capable of that and Bakayoko will probably end up shy of 10 goals for the season. McNulty scored 4 in his first 21, people like yourself jumped the gun on that one big time. These players are also still developing and in their early 20s, they will only get better.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

The likelihood of McNulty scoring 20+ goals this season for us was unlikely. There’s a few examples of players having stormers in L2 then following it up with a comparatively ‘average’ season, such as Marquis of Doncaster, went from 26 in the league 16/17 to about 14 last season. This said, he is on 8 in 17 this season. McNulty’s record last season, particularly in 2018 was phenomenal, only Salah and Kane were involved in more goals in that calendar year. We certainly profited from that and to get £1.5m for him was decent business and we’ve picked up a few talented young players.

He’s definitely made a mistake rushing to go to Reading because it looks like they could well end up in L1 themselves. It makes you wonder why Reading spent £1.5m on the next ‘Le Fondre’ if they weren’t going to play him!
Depends what you call a mistake - he’s probably quadrupled his wages, and will possibly be in the same league next season as he would have been with us anyway.

steve82

You have ridiculously high expectations. We have 4 players who are roughly scoring 1 in 4 (Hiwula slightly under that, Bakayoko over it, with Chaplin and JCH striking in 4).You’re judging players on a very small time scale, as you cannot judge a player over 15-20 games. 1 in 4 goals translates to roughly 11 goals over a season and Chaplin, JCH and Hiwula are all capable of that and Bakayoko will probably end up shy of 10 goals for the season. McNulty scored 4 in his first 21, people like yourself jumped the gun on that one big time. These players are also still developing and in their early 20s, they will only get better.

Some stats I’ve calculated (passing time at work) say we’re ok for strikers, personally it’s midfielders I’d strengthen in January if the opportunity arose notably in the wide areas. Hiwula is a real talent, backs my claims I’d like to see him up front.

League games data only (all Cup competitions excluded including play offs)

- Chaplin
CCFC career 11 apps, 10 starts 881 mins. 3 goals, 293.6 mins per goal
Pre ccfc career 160 mins per goal
- Hiwula
CCFC career 11 apps, 8 starts 735 mins. 3 goals, 245 mins per goal
Pre ccfc career 240.9 mins per goal
- JCH
CCFC career 31 apps, 25 starts 2210 mins. 5 goals, 442 mins per goal
(League two 17 apps, 12 starts 1081 mins 2 goals 540.5 mins per goal)
(League one 14 apps, 13 starts 1129 mins 3 goals 376 mins per goal)
Pre ccfc career 323 mins per goal
- Bakayoko
CCFC career 10 apps, 2 starts 258 mins. 3 goals, 86 mins per goal
Pre ccfc career 546 mins per goal

League goals forecast on based on ccfc form over a maximum 17 league games and pre ccfc form.
- JCH ccfc 11 and pre ccfc form 11
- Chaplin ccfc 14 and pre ccfc form 27
- Hiwula ccfc 16 and pre ccfc form 17
- Bakayoko ccfc 46 and pre ccfc form 7

* clearly Bakayoko’s forecast won’t sustain

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

Depends what you call a mistake - he’s probably quadrupled his wages, and will possibly be in the same league next season as he would have been with us anyway.

Career-wise, it’s certainly a mistake because it looks like he won’t be playing much football for a while. Short-term financial gains don’t put weigh long-term career development. At this rate (things could, and I hope, get better), he’ll be back in L2, or at best, a middling L1 club on those wages. Meanwhile, Robins has stated his intentions that he wants to get us back to the Championship and if we do make that step... Norwich singing ‘Sammy Clingan it could’ve been you’ comes to mind — his career nosedived after he left us.

Some stats I’ve calculated (passing time at work) say we’re ok for strikers, personally it’s midfielders I’d strengthen in January if the opportunity arose notably in the wide areas. Hiwula is a real talent, backs my claims I’d like to see him up front.

League games data only (all Cup competitions excluded including play offs)

- Chaplin
CCFC career 11 apps, 10 starts 881 mins. 3 goals, 293.6 mins per goal
Pre ccfc career 160 mins per goal
- Hiwula
CCFC career 11 apps, 8 starts 735 mins. 3 goals, 245 mins per goal
Pre ccfc career 240.9 mins per goal
- JCH
CCFC career 31 apps, 25 starts 2210 mins. 5 goals, 442 mins per goal
(League two 17 apps, 12 starts 1081 mins 2 goals 540.5 mins per goal)
(League one 14 apps, 13 starts 1129 mins 3 goals 376 mins per goal)
Pre ccfc career 323 mins per goal
- Bakayoko
CCFC career 10 apps, 2 starts 258 mins. 3 goals, 86 mins per goal
Pre ccfc career 546 mins per goal

League goals forecast on based on ccfc form over a maximum 17 league games and pre ccfc form.
- JCH ccfc 11 and pre ccfc form 11
- Chaplin ccfc 14 and pre ccfc form 27
- Hiwula ccfc 16 and pre ccfc form 17
- Bakayoko ccfc 46 and pre ccfc form 7

* clearly Bakayoko’s forecast won’t sustain

They’re reasonable projections, when this debate was had with McNulty, I made a similar projection that he’d get about 17 goals based off his loan spell at Portsmouth. Hiwula scores 12 last year, Bakayoko scored 8 and they’ll score roughly the same amount. Hiwula should really be beating his tally last year and Bakayoko could equal his potentially (difficult as a sub). JCH is another who you feel could be on course for a career best season, he’s playing well and scoring goals, 12-15 goals isn’t an unreasonable expectation. As for Chaplin, he’s doing well without really hitting a stride yet so there’s that feeling that once he gets going, he could be like McNulty. But, to keep it on perspective, not many players score more than 20 in L1 and to score 15+ is a v good return. We’re in a higher league, playing against better competition, even McNulty would’ve struggled to score 17+ this season in all probability!

Mucca Mad Boys

Hes a good striker, but hes no Marc McNulty just yet! theres no doubt in my mind McNulty would have stepped up at this level and banged in at least half a dozen!
Championship is maybe a step/jump too big for him.

Chaplin is far from finished article, Robins will improve him and he has every chance to improve further. Keep definitely sign in January as he is different to our other strikers.

Do you mean a dozen and a half because if you meant ‘half a dozen’, 6 goals is not a big ask at all — I’d expect that fro Biamou and Bakayoko!

Marty

He has good movement and clearly has a decent shot on him, but hes snatching at chances, I think he will come good, the club has momentum currently, it's probably our best chance of going up so he needs to start putting it away really.

Nick

Administrator
Cant figure out if it's him or the role he is playing.

Far too deep, miles away from the other striker and trying to play with his back to goal all the time.

When the other striker gets the ball he should be in the box waiting for a tap in off the keeper, not 30 yards back by the halfway line.

pusbccfc

He's clearly got talent, the problem is we aren't playing to his strengths.

Like what a few have said, he's dropping too deep and Jonson is pushing too far forward.

Users who are viewing this thread