Conor Chaplin - Signing Confirmed (Finally!) (5 Viewers)

PVA

Back to 4-4-2 JCH & Chaplin now that Biamou is out.

Baka & Hiwula impact subs.

The only problem with this is 442 doesn't really suit Andreu or Jones, when he returns.

I'd like to see Andreu, Jones and Bayliss behind Chaplin.

cooperskyblue

The only problem with this is 442 doesn't really suit Andreu or Jones, when he returns.

Yes agreed!
Think when we had Armstrong with Lameiras/Maddison/obrien/murphy/Kent as the options for the 3 behind.
Fleck and Vincelot as the holding centre mids.

This season we would have 3 of:
Andreu/Jones/Thomas/Shipley/Bayliss/Alassani with then 2 from

Kelly/Doyle/Ogogo as our holding mids.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

I wouldn’t mind experimenting with him as a lone striker. Armstrong was 5”8 and he was a good lone striker for us. If we could move the ball quickly and on the ground, I can’t see why the likes of Jones, Andreu or Bayliss couldn’t pick Chaplin out with a pass. A lot of Jones’ assists last year were low crosses and not the sort crosses that we’d expect from a ‘traditional’ winger. With JCH coming off a strong performance, I’d expect him to retain his place and would like to see the two work together. Again, if we were to play 4-2-3-1, I could see Jones and Hiwula on the wings, with the latter being an ‘inside forward’, to use some Football Manager terminology.

One thing that pleases me about this team is the amount of options we have. Some people were mumbling about the squad being so large, but I think competition is a good thing. But, more importantly, we have the squad size to cope with injuries. Last season, the squad was too short on quality in some areas. Namely at RM, which threatened to derail us a bit until we sussed out the Bayliss—Kelly—Doyle—Shipley combination. Which was just in time for the playoffs.

I don’t buy into this idea that we’ve bought in ‘quantity over quality’. Robins has said it’ll take a few weeks to get us going, so to have 5pts isn’t a bad return. Time will tell on a few signings, and I think the likes of Hiwula, Allassani, Sterling, Mason and, dare I say it, Bakayoko will improve over the season.

As long as we consolidate with a mid table finish, I’d take that. We can then look at adding a few more experienced players to make that playoff or promotion push Robins spoke of.

cc84cov

Chaplin a tiny it’s ok playing a lone striker if you play the ball on the floor than means Doyle & Willis retaining possession and not hoofing it long in a panic.

Pompey play 4-2-3-1 and he don’t fit in their system hence why’s hes being released.Trust us to try play him in that same system lol.Pompey fans have stated time and time again he needs to play in a 2 with a big man.

Nick

Administrator
Chaplin a tiny it’s ok playing a lone striker if you play the ball on the floor than means Doyle & Willis retaining possession and not hoofing it long in a panic.

Pompey play 4-2-3-1 and he don’t fit in their system hence why’s hes being released.Trust us to try play him in that same system lol.Pompey fans have stated time and time again he needs to play in a 2 with a big man.

First hoofed ball he doesn't win in the air I am opening a thread, twitter account and printing t shirts saying he is shit.

Gibbo

Those comments have come from Pompey fans. They've seen him play. Apparently hasn't had any joy as a 10 either. He's described as a Defoe or Little Pea type, that thrives next to a No9

Solo striker, which we seem to have tried in a 4-2-3-1 format this seasonis highly suspect at this level imho. The front 3 tend not to be close enough to the front striker for the knock downs - our two cataclysmic away performances at Oxford and Blackpool are examples. Personally, as an unreconstructed 4-4-2 man I prefer the big striker with the little bloke just off him - lets call them "Ferguson" and "Wallace", but Biamou and McNulty works just as well. Chaplin is clearly Wallace, and JCH Ferguson - which is good. Shame the other two strikers we have purchased don't easily fit this format

Gibbo

Suits Jones - left sided attacker. I agree Andreu does not fit, never has actually, mysterious purchase

better days

Solo striker, which we seem to have tried in a 4-2-3-1 format this seasonis highly suspect at this level imho. The front 3 tend not to be close enough to the front striker for the knock downs - our two cataclysmic away performances at Oxford and Blackpool are examples. Personally, as an unreconstructed 4-4-2 man I prefer the big striker with the little bloke just off him - lets call them "Ferguson" and "Wallace", but Biamou and McNulty works just as well. Chaplin is clearly Wallace, and JCH Ferguson - which is good. Shame the other two strikers we have purchased don't easily fit this format
Allassani does though

Nick

Administrator
I can’t wait for his first offside
giphy.gif

ceetee

4.59.30 for good measure ccfc always leaving it late keep us on our toes this place would go into meltdown lol.
Yes. well when we sign players early on as we did this transfer window, people forget and then complain that we haven't done any business

Nick

Administrator
Yes. well when we sign players early on as we did this transfer window, people forget and then complain that we haven't done any business

I think that's very true. I have seen people talk about the transfer window as if it is just deadline day.

Mucca Mad Boys

The two formations have similar shapes. After all, 4-2-3-1 derives it’s shape from a 4-4-2. Our best spell in L1, under Robins and Mowbray, we played mainly 4-2-3-1. Every single system has its merits and flaw. Personally, I like 4-4-2 played in a similar vain as Pressley’s honeymoon period with Clarke and Wilson upfront or Howe’s Bournemouth setups. Quick, high tempo, attacking football can be unbearable for teams.

cc84cov

Just can’t see Chaplin with jones alessani Bayliss working too lightweight we need JCH in there at the tip for me.

I think Andreu will Be dropped it’s him or Bayliss not both with Chaplin and JCH together.

Irish Sky Blue

Without getting too weird, it was a song about a bantam cock (Not a buzzard - my memory!) - cue bantam cock jokes (if there are any out there!)
No, the song about the Bantam Cock is by a now dead singer called Jake Thackeray. He used to appear regularly on a BBC Saturday night programme called Braden’s Week. On after MOTD but before the late night Frankenstein or Dracula film.

Otis

Some sensible folk on here after seeing him play once realy rate Bakayoko apparantly.

Good to get a unbiased pompy fans view.

But how dare you make judgement of our record signing of recent years ans say after just 3 games he is absolutely crap.
What on earth are you waffling on about? ;)

1. Everyone knows he was poor for Walsall. We all know that, we all accept that. This is just someone else coming on here and saying he was really poor for Walsall. Why are you using that as some kind of vindication? Odd.

2. Who on here really rates Bakayoko so far for us? Has anyone said they really rate him? Anyone at all? I personally have never ever said I rate him. The 'sensible' thing I think is a dig at me. Never said I rate him at all though.

Some have already come to the conclusion he is crap and the rest have said we need to give him time and at least try and play to his strengths.

I bet if anyone has said they really rate him it will be 1 person tops, 2 at an absolute push.

Do you think Bakayoko has been crap in every game for us, out of interest?

Last edited:

wal3590

Yes agreed!
Think when we had Armstrong with Lameiras/Maddison/obrien/murphy/Kent as the options for the 3 behind.
Flack and Vincelot as the holding centre mids.

This season we would have 3 of:
Andreu/Jones/Thomas/Shipley/Bayliss/Alassani with then 2 from

Kelly/Doyle/Ogogo as our holding mids.

When did Caroline sign for us?

GaryJones

What on earth are you waffling on about?

1. Everyone knows he was poor for Walsall. We all know that, we all accept that. This is just someone else coming on here and saying he was really poor for Walsall. Why are you using that as some kind of vindication?

2. Who on here really rates Bakayoko so far for us? Has anyone said they really rate him? Anyone at all? I personally have never ever said I rate him. The 'sensible' thing I think is a dig at me. Never said I rate him at all though.

Some have already come to the conclusion he is crap and the rest have said we need to give him time and at least try and play to his strengths.

I bet if anyone has said they really rate him it will be 1 person tops, 2 at an absolute push.

Do you think Bakayoko has been crap in every game for us?
I really rate him! Lol

cc84cov

Joy Seppala says if this thread reaches 100 pages Conor Chaplin will have a media unveiling day like Barcelona,Real Madrid etc

runner

So did Portsmouth get their man from Aston Villa today ... as if so, I assume more likely something to happen tomorrow ?

Robin Fisher

Not all Pompey fans rate him that highly. I’ve been told that we shouldn’t expect too much (assuming he’s signing). However, I understand he’s very good in the box and has an eye for goal. Obviously isn’t going to win too many headers for us.
As I’ve said previously I’ve seen him a few times and was always impressed.
It seems to me that we will have a bit of variation up top which can only be a good thing.
I also think it’s a real shame that max is out. I would say they would have been a well suited partnership.
Not too many headers but he scored one of the best headed goals I have ever seen last season (or the season before) when we played Wimbledon. A long ball was threaded through and Chaplin went for it with their defender and he flicked the ball over the defenders head and ran round him. As the ball was coming down their keeper came out but Chaplin let the ball bounce once and the headed over the keeper. It was worth the entrance to watch that goal. That what he is, instinctive and I am disapointed that he seems on the way to you.

cc84cov

Not too many headers but he scored one of the best headed goals I have ever seen last season (or the season before) when we played Wimbledon. A long ball was threaded through and Chaplin went for it with their defender and he flicked the ball over the defenders head and ran round him. As the ball was coming down their keeper came out but Chaplin let the ball bounce once and the headed over the keeper. It was worth the entrance to watch that goal. That what he is, instinctive and I am disapointed that he seems on the way to you.
The scissor kick he scored was class and the header when he lobbed the keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread