Club Legends (1 Viewer)

ajl

Im sorry but however great dion was for this club, you cant have a club legend who left directly for a rival- if he had left for another club then ended up at villa fair enough

I've forgiven him for it and i consider him a great player for this club but cant call him a legend after he went to a direct rival at the time

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

Im sorry but however great dion was for this club, you cant have a club legend who left directly for a rival- if he had left for another club then ended up at villa fair enough

I've forgiven him for it and i consider him a great player for this club but cant call him a legend after he went to a direct rival at the time

Steve Froggatt was asked on a podcast whether coming to Cov was a hard move because of his Villa connections, he said he wasn’t aware there was a rivalry.

Grendel

Same for George Curtis then?

NortonSkyBlue

Same for George Curtis then?

Or for Dennis Mortimer, who was forced to sign for Villa against his wishes.

ajl

Steve Froggatt was asked on a podcast whether coming to Cov was a hard move because of his Villa connections, he said he wasn’t aware there was a rivalry.
But dion was our talisman at the time- top goalscorer in the prem and best player, could have chosen to go to a number of clubs and for a better price for us- but chose villa to spite richardson as they offered a lower price, just sits wrong with me when he could have chosen other clubs- legends should take the fans thoughts into consideration imo but i can totally understand why vast majority think of him as a legend and i know im in the minority

Grendel

I didnt watch george curtis play so I never comment on past players- ill leave that up to others but yea generally if they left to a direct rival i cant consider them legends

Ridiculous. So Dennis Law isn't one of the biggest legends at Man Utd?

ajl

Or for Dennis Mortimer, who was forced to sign for Villa against his wishes.
Thats down to each circumstances- i dont know much about mortimer admittedly but if thats true then i can understand his position and take that into consideration- its one thing being forced- another choosing to go to a direct rival over plenty of other choices which dion had

ajl

Ridiculous. So Dennis Law isn't one of the biggest legends at Man Utd?
Im not a man utd fan so ridiculous asking me that question- but if it was me I'd look at the circumstances- did law choose city? Was he forced out of man utd and and city was his only choice etc, alot of variables which i dont know the ins and outs of laws move to city

SlowerThanPlatt

Im not a man utd fan so ridiculous asking me that question- but if it was me I'd look at the circumstances- did law choose city? Was he forced out of man utd and and city was his only choice etc, alot of variables which i dont know the ins and outs of laws move to city

Does it matter? Players can move to whoever they want, they don’t owe fans explanations.

ajl

Does it matter? Players can move to whoever they want, they don’t owe fans explanations.
Yes and thats perfectly fine and acceptable i get that- but we're not just talking about good players or great players for the club- we're talking about legends and i feel most people throw around that term too loosely- legends need to be held in a higher regard and to higher standards than most players

But thats just my opinion- im aware im in the minority and can understand why people dont agree with me and dont expect people to agree

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Is Denis Law a Man U legend? Went from Man U to Man City and scored the goal that got Man U relegated.

EDIT: Just seen grendel has already made this point.

Frostie

But dion was our talisman at the time- top goalscorer in the prem and best player, could have chosen to go to a number of clubs and for a better price for us- but chose villa to spite richardson as they offered a lower price, just sits wrong with me when he could have chosen other clubs- legends should take the fans thoughts into consideration imo but i can totally understand why vast majority think of him as a legend and i know im in the minority

That's not really the full story, just the one Richardson wanted everyone to believe.

ajl

That's not really the full story, just the one Richardson wanted everyone to believe.
Even if you take that account as false trotted out by richardson to fill an agenda- dublin would surely have had more suitors than just villa to choose from- he was in and out of the England set up around the time and was joint top scorer in the league

Frostie

Even if you take that account as false trotted out by richardson to fill an agenda- dublin would surely have had more suitors than just villa to choose from- he was in and out of the England set up around the time and was joint top scorer in the league

Why shouldn't he (or anyone) make the move that's best for his family & his career?
Out of loyalty to a club that was actively wanting rid & hawking him around?

The other clubs that met our valuation were Leeds & Blackburn. Blackburn were in a Relegation battle with us (surely that would have been worse!?), Leeds were 11th whilst Villa were top of the Premier League at the time!

It's well known he wanted to stay in the Midlands & it's also worth noting he didn't even get a pay rise to go to Villa, he signed for the same £20,000 p/w that he was on with us.
Both Blackburn & Leeds offered him more.

Of course it suited the club to keep the narrative that he was forcing the move when in reality he'd done right by the club by signing a new contract to ensure we at least got something resembling his true value.

ajl

Why shouldn't he (or anyone) make the move that's best for his family & his career?
Out of loyalty to a club that was actively wanting rid & hawking him around?

The other clubs that met our valuation were Leeds & Blackburn. Blackburn were in a Relegation battle with us (surely that would have been worse!?), Leeds were 11th whilst Villa were top of the Premier League at the time!

It's well known he wanted to stay in the Midlands & it's also worth noting he didn't even get a pay rise to go to Villa, he signed for the same £20,000 p/w that he was on with us.
Both Blackburn & Leeds offered him more.

Of course it suited the club to keep the narrative that he was forcing the move when in reality he'd done right by the club by signing a new contract to ensure we at least got something resembling his true value.
I completely agree why he made the move, i just believe that makes him a great player not a legend in my eyes, we all have our opinions, i just think the term legend is thrown around too loosely

Frostie

I completely agree why he made the move, i just believe that makes him a great player not a legend in my eyes, we all have our opinions, i just think the term legend is thrown around too loosely

Fair enough.

So, in your opinion if our all time record top flight goalscorer, PL Golden Boot winner & England International aren't enough to make him a legend, who exactly does qualify?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Fair enough.

So, in your opinion if our all time record top flight goalscorer, PL Golden Boot winner & England International aren't enough to make him a legend, who exactly does qualify?
This. He’s definitely in consideration for me. Not many players could be our best striker and best centre back.

if I recall, in 97 didn’t he score against Spurs then dropped back to centre half to make sure we hung on to stay up?

PurpleBin

Everyone will have different standards at the end of the day. We've won barely anything really so it's probably only ever going to be from a fairly short list for us. I'd feel a bit weird saying George Curtis as I never saw him play but nonetheless, I can still respect what he did for the club...

Gary Mac on a personal level.

ajl

Fair enough.

Im only really happy to comment on people I've seen play so of those id probably say oggy, doyle, breen, mccallister

But how many of those would make the all time list if id seen them all play?
Not many probably just oggy and mccallister tbf maybe breen

Sterling Archer

It always annoys me just how many assumptions there are on Dion's transfer to Villa to suit a narrative.

Dion carried this club at times throughout the 90s. It's a shame we resorted to singing songs about his neck breaking/hoping he died and I genuinely believe that feeds into the reasons why he probably doesn't talk about us much in the public eye.

A wonderful player and servant to the club.

Sick Boy

It always annoys me just how many assumptions there are on Dion's transfer to Villa to suit a narrative.

Dion carried this club at times throughout the 90s. It's a shame we resorted to singing songs about his neck breaking/hoping he died and I genuinely believe that feeds into the reasons why he probably doesn't talk about us much in the public eye.

Yeah agreed, it’s a huge shame.

Hertsccfc

So difficult to choose just five but I would choose:

Oggy
Peake
Hutchison
Dublin
Terry Gibson

Others who should be legends:

Regis
Ferguson
Wallace
Speedie
Steve Hunt

wantageskyblue

Couldn’t agree more SA. I was @ Luton the night he didn’t want to play - I was annoyed that evening especially as we lost however I don’t hold it against him. Richardson was hawking him around to clubs such as Blackburn for as much as he could get- if I was Dion I would have done the same thing and gone to the nearest club, Fans need to remember that players have wives, kids etc just like the rest of us and they will always be a factor in any transfer decisions.

Dion was more of a legend that some of the names I have seen mentioned e.g.McAllister (1 decent season) and Doyle(a player most fans wanted rid off 1st time around). Dion‘a goals kept us up on several occasions and he thoroughly deserved his England call up. For me one of jhis finest games was Wimbledon away at Selhurst Park when-he played centre half and was outstanding in an injury ravaged team and not forgetting the 2 opening games of the season v Chelsea’s big money teams.

fernandopartridge

He chose Villa because they were a much better prospect than Blackburn. They were top of the league whereas Blackburn were relegated that season.

shmmeee

People setting the bar way too high here. Legends are any player who becomes part of the fan folk memory for me. Doyle and Konic definitely, Ndlovu, Huckerby, Whelan too. All the players the old fellas talk about like Hutch, Curtis, etc. Keane, Dublin, even Richard Shaw. It’s not about how good a player they were or what we won while they were here, for me it’s just did they leave a lasting impact on the club folk history. As much as Kasta is a meme, we aren’t going to be talking about him in ten years. O’Hare we might though.

Users who are viewing this thread