Club Legends (1 Viewer)

Adge

Why nonsense, dickhead? It's my opinion. My favourite player growing up joins our local rivals. YEAH LETS CELEBRATE AND BE HAPPY. Twat
You really don’t get it do you.

Grendel

Dublin would have been if he hadn't left for the Villa. Gary McAllister more of a legend for me

Same for George Curtis then I guess

Grendel

I don't understand why you keep making jokes about him on here considering what's happened to him recently

Ive complained to the mods but he still gets away with it

Grendel

I just think you have to suspend time and look at relative achievements in each era

Clarrie Bourton
George Mason
Reg Matthews
Tommy Hutchison
Grendel

slowpoke

Got to be George Curtis number one, debut at sixteen, hardley missed a game for ten years, club captain, admin. manager of the cup winning team, back to admin. and a bloody good player his influence with the JH teams is very underrated. Other candidates for fans of the older generation it would certainly be George Hudson he is without doubt as a player the biggest idolised player, followed by Ian Gibson or Tommy Hutchison can’t separate them.

Paxman II

Yes, let's not forget that Strachan achieved what 10 previous managers had failed to do - he got us relegated.

Danny i reckon a lengend is not some one who has to have played more than 40 games. It's about the impact the player had. Strachan was a great manager for us, we had our best time in the top flight, very exciting times and some great players under his management. yes we went down but the wee man gave us our best years.

Grendel

Danny i reckon a lengend is not some one who has to have played more than 40 games. It's about the impact the player had. Strachan was a great manager for us, we had our best time in the top flight, very exciting times and some great players under his management. yes we went down but the wee man gave us our best years.

Eh? We finished higher under Sillett Cantwell and Milne

Sky Blue Pete

Surprised no mention of Trevor Peake as I see him as probably the best defender I have seen play for the club. It’s easy to think of the the goalscorers and midfield aces but Peake was superb for many seasons. I am sure if he had played for a more fashionable club he would have got international honours. I would put him down as one the best players to grace a City shirt.
Almost said Trevor

Irish Sky Blue

I liked Strachen but what you say is not really true.We finished 6th under Cantwell and qualified for Europe. Gordon Milne's team also achieved 7th place and were the most entertaining City team I have ever seen. Sillett's team won the FA Cup but also played great football and achieved top half finishes. All three achieved more than Strachan.

mmttww

Anyway, only player in my lifetime that I reckon warrants that label is Oggy. Forget the on-field stuff, bloke coached me at cricket once and his son was a good laugh on a French Exchange.

Dublin performed heroics but it's hard to think of someone as a Legend when they left for Villa as that rivalry was pretty much at its peak. No one's stuck around enough since to get close.

Gosb

17th, 11th, 15th, 14th & 19th - our best years? The only remarkable thing that Strachan did as manager was to name himself as a sub so that he could run up and down the entire touchline 'just warming up'.

Blind-Faith

Doyle
Robins
Macca
McSheffrey
Westwood ( come on! ) 😉

it makes me feel young reading this thread, I only started following us in out first season in division 1 👍

CDK

Got to be George Curtis number one, debut at sixteen, hardley missed a game for ten years, club captain, admin. manager of the cup winning team, back to admin. and a bloody good player his influence with the JH teams is very underrated. Other candidates for fans of the older generation it would certainly be George Hudson he is without doubt as a player the biggest idolised player, followed by Ian Gibson or Tommy Hutchison can’t separate them.
For me George Curtis for all the above reasons plus he did some back office stuff for a number of years after 1987 cup victory to the late 90s a true legend.

fatso

For me George Curtis for all the above reasons plus he did some back office stuff for a number of years after 1987 cup victory to the late 90s a true legend.
I think GC left under a cloud regarding accusation (not proven) by Bryan Richardson in 1993, about George's pension contributions being enough to bankrupt the club.
Hence why he was never seen at match days or legends days etc.
Perhaps someone on here has a better memory of what was said at the time regarding big George's departure from the club.

Frostie

Absolutely a legend for Liverpool. Champions league winner and finalist, Premier, Super cup and World club cup winner.
What is your definition? you are setting the bar high.

I didn't offer an opinion either way, just know calling him a legend massively divides opinion with Liverpool fans. Where do you set the bar for a club like Liverpool that is used to winning everything?

If it's purely on winning things then almost everyone who plays for the top teams would be a legend? Their Legends Day must drag on to be Legends Month or two! 😆

Fwiw, I think he's an excellent player & they're mad to let him go but I'm not sure that immediately puts him alongside Dalglish, Hansen, Gerrard etc.

Are Lallana & Lovren Liverpool legends?

Sterling Archer

Some interesting names and maybe some clouded nostalgic views here?

Doyle was superb for us in the L2 promotion season and it was noticeable when he wasn't on the pitch how much we missed his leadership but lets not kid ourselves here, he was pretty rancid most of the time in his first spell at the club and was worshipped by those who just liked someone who could kick someone, even when he was a detriment to the team. I'd argue McSheffrey had a better overall Coventry career than Doyle (bar team achievements) but when McSheffers came back you can tell his legs had gone and his second spell was pretty poor.

Cult legends, you can throw in Quinn, Biamou, Baker, Konjic etc but genuine legends from my era? Probably only Robins, Dion and Oggy. Others could've been if they'd have stayed longer (Huckerby, Keane, Hartson etc.) I loved Ndlovu when I was a kid but I'm sure if I watched him these days, he'd probably be infuriating because you know how good he could be on his day.

McAllister is always an interesting one for me, I'd argue he only had one excellent season for us and that was the one with the Moroccans and Keane. Apart from that, I always thought he didn't leave to the hype but maybe that's more because of the hype itself, rather than the player. In that 97-98 season, my favourite in the top flight as a Coventry fan .... George Boateng was the standout player alongside Dion and Huckerby. If we'd have managed to keep hold of Boateng for a couple more years, he'd have gone down as a club legend in my eyes.

NortonSkyBlue

I didn't offer an opinion either way, just know calling him a legend massively divides opinion with Liverpool fans. Where do you set the bar for a club like Liverpool that is used to winning everything?

If it's purely on winning things then almost everyone who plays for the top teams would be a legend? Their Legends Day must drag on to be Legends Month or two! 😆

Fwiw, I think he's an excellent player & they're mad to let him go but I'm not sure that immediately puts him alongside Dalglish, Hansen, Gerrard etc.

Are Lallana & Lovren Liverpool legends?
Context. Were Lovren and Lallana regulars or a David Fairclough?
There is an argument that as Gini was just as important as Gerrard, not one I would subscribe to, Liverpool legend well yes in my opinion but in years to come.

Frostie

Context. Were Lovren and Lallana regulars or a David Fairclough?
There is an argument that as Gini was just as important as Gerrard, not one I would subscribe to, Liverpool legend well yes in my opinion but in years to come.

Fair enough, I can understand both sides of the argument.

I guess, to relate it back to us, my point was players that play for the elite clubs almost immediately get Legend status yet we have people seriously debating whether Dion Dublin, our record top flight scorer who even won a Premier League Golden Boot is deserving enough!?

fernandopartridge

Absolutely a legend for Liverpool. Champions league winner and finalist, Premier, Super cup and World club cup winner.
What is your definition? you are setting the bar high.
They've got numerous players that have won European trophies that aren't conferred such a status. Their actual legends are the talismanic stars: Dalglish, Rush, Salah in the modern age

Bad Boy

As I said in an earlier post this is a very subjective post.
A legend in the context of a countable noun refers to someone that is considered very famous and admired by a lot of people.
I (personally) would interperate that description that it takes no account of a persons longevity or achievements to be considered a legend, hence why there is healthy debate on this forum as to who and why someone is considered a Sky Blue legend (sorry I've used that word twice in one sentence)
I've enjoyed reading people's nominations and look forward to reading more.

Users who are viewing this thread