Club Legends (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

On the way back from work I was listening to Talksport and they were banging on about club legends. I am interested to know who you guys would consider to be club legends. There is nothing much happening by way of things going on at the club so I thought this may provoke some healthy debate and abuse. Here are my five.

Jimmy Hill
John Sillett
George Curtis
Tommy Hutchison
Dion Dublin

LTo give some context, I was born in the early 90s, I didn’t see any of the above players, the first season I can recall was 99/2000. Robbie Keane was not with us long enough to be considered an icon/legend in my opinion, so based on players I saw and can remember, I would have to go with the below:

Mark Robins
Michael Doyle
McSheffrey

I know that will annoy some people but I can’t say Dublin, Hutchinson etc because I didn’t say them play

Greggs

🙄Blinkered by nonsense.
Why nonsense, dickhead? It's my opinion. My favourite player growing up joins our local rivals. YEAH LETS CELEBRATE AND BE HAPPY. Twat

DannyThomas_1981

Ian Wallace has to be there; 58 goals in 130 appearances vs. Dion's 61 in 145. Both legends.

Jim Blyth; 10 seasons with us and if the move to United had gone through he would have been the world's most expensive keeper.

Agreed on Borrows as a legend and should have played for England but Mick Coop also worth a mention - 15 seasons in the shirt and part of one of our best ever teams?

I'll throw in another wild card - Dave Bennett. He had it all and can only imagine how good he would be in the modern game in a different system and more protection. Very under-rated in my view.

Bugsy

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Quite so. His 49 goals in the 1931-32 season is exactly how many the entire team scored this season.

But this was a time when teams played 5 up front and 2 at the back. Plus you could practically assault the goalie to score (tho admittedly the defenders could pretty much break you in half)

Grendel

Ian Wallace has to be there; 58 goals in 130 appearances vs. Dion's 61 in 145. Both legends.

Jim Blyth; 10 seasons with us and if the move to United had gone through he would have been the world's most expensive keeper.

Agreed on Borrows as a legend and should have played for England but Mick Coop also worth a mention - 15 seasons in the shirt and part of one of our best ever teams?

I'll throw in another wild card - Dave Bennett. He had it all and can only imagine how good he would be in the modern game in a different system and more protection. Very under-rated in my view.

Dave Bennett was a legend in the bar afterwards. How old are you if you even have heard of Coop the Scoop

Gosb

But this was a time when teams played 5 up front and 2 at the back. Plus you could practically assault the goalie to score (tho admittedly the defenders could pretty much break you in half)
Agreed, but it was the one and only time that we had the Football League's top scorer

DannyThomas_1981

ROBINS, HILL, SILLETT/CURTISS, STRACHAN, KEANE

I agree with the first 3.

Strachan was absolute class on the pitch (even at the age of 38) but was the manager who got us relegated despite having millions - he did not make the necessary changes to evolve the team year over year (if only we'd had a manager like Robins back then).

Keane. Strachan - fantastic players but don't qualify as legends with less than 40 games each?

Gosb

I agree with the first 3.

Strachan was absolute class on the pitch (even at the age of 38) but was the manager who got us relegated despite having millions - he did not make the necessary changes to evolve the team year over year (if only we'd had a manager like Robins back then).

Keane. Strachan - fantastic players but don't qualify as legends with less than 40 games each?
Yes, let's not forget that Strachan achieved what 10 previous managers had failed to do - he got us relegated.

Bad Boy

This is a very subjective thread and is influenced by how long you've been following The City.
Those of my age would start by probably going for the likes of Curtis and Kearns who were key to the late Jimmy Hill revolution all the way from Division 3 in 1961 to Division 1 in 1967.
Some I'm sure could even opt for players pre JH as well
We've been lucky to have many many players who have served the club well down the years and can be deservedly called legends.
Me personally it has to be Tommy Hutchison, a stylish footballer who spent 8 years at HR, played 355, scored 30 goals and probably played the best football of his career and won all 17 Scottish caps whilst with us.

Last edited:

Grendel

LTo give some context, I was born in the early 90s, I didn’t see any of the above players, the first season I can recall was 99/2000. Robbie Keane was not with us long enough to be considered an icon/legend in my opinion, so based on players I saw and can remember, I would have to go with the below:

Mark Robins
Michael Doyle
McSheffrey

You poor sod

Grendel

Thing is these things are fairly subjective but historically Reg Matthews was a World Record signing for a goalkeeper at the time and the first Coventry born player to play for England

fernandopartridge

Dublin is the only player post 87 I'd suggest but ultimately we achieved nothing relatively whilst he was at the club, you'd go with Regis over him any day. Robins' achieved two promotions so is a possibility.

Grendel

Do you remember his debut?

I remember Harry Pollitt and his very unfortunate time as manager at the club - I can't quite recall William Clayton however

Bad Boy

Talking of fullbacks, dare I throw in Chris Cattlin.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Talking of fullbacks, dare I throw in Chris Cattlin.

giphy.gif

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

See I was born in 88, I consider legends as those who are recognisable by all generations
top 5 would be for me:

Jimmy Hill- Transformed the club into the sky blues and took them from the bottom to the top.

John Sillett - Was the manager of the only major cup we have won. Has to be in there

Oggy - 600 appearances, more than anyone else.

Curtis - didn’t see him, but Joint manager in the FA Cup final, nearly 500 appearances in the clubs rise to the top division

my last is difficult could be one of:

Hutchison - granted I didn’t see him live but the fact that my grandad and my uncle both idolise him as one of if not our best ever player speaks volumes - 2 generations.

Dublin -The premier league era legend. Scored critical goals and arguably kept us up single handedly a couple of times. Should have gone to the World Cup in 98.

Robins - might have wanted him out earlier this season, but he’s 1fluke promotion from taking us from bottom to top like Hill. No other manager has been as a successful that isn’t above

Bugsy

Big Mo such a legend he gave a pen away in the last game at Highfield Rd.....PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread