Chris Wilder (1 Viewer)

Oxon_SB

If it's Wilder, then so be it. I'll be behind him and hope he's learnt lessons from his time at Oxford. He will inherit a side capable of reaching the play-offs, assuming he can install the discipline defensively and play to our forward's strengths. He may well set-up the team in an attacking formation too which will be a plus (assuming he believes the players are good enough). He's just not the messiah (and its very optimistic to draw parallels with Adkins/Lambert... there are 100's of other appointments that have gone the other way - it's the nature of the job).
We all want to see better times and goodness knows it's long overdue. I believe Oxford may be stronger for his move, I just hope the Sky Blues are too.
PUSB

mark82

If it's Wilder, then so be it. I'll be behind him and hope he's learnt lessons from his time at Oxford. He will inherit a side capable of reaching the play-offs, assuming he can install the discipline defensively and play to our forward's strengths. He may well set-up the team in an attacking formation too which will be a plus (assuming he believes the players are good enough). He's just not the messiah (and its very optimistic to draw parallels with Adkins/Lambert... there are 100's of other appointments that have gone the other way - it's the nature of the job).
We all want to see better times and goodness knows it's long overdue. I believe Oxford may be stronger for his move, I just hope the Sky Blues are too.
PUSB

Looks as though many Oxford fans will be sad to see him go. He has taken them from bottom half of conference to top half of league 2 on a limited budget.

Oxon_SB

Yeah, Like all clubs there are people who support the manager and those that don't. My view is as a neutral (apart from wanting to see them win for my boys) who has probably seen more of his team playing than most on here in the last 18 months... then again I only see Cov 8-10 times a season live, so what do I know!?
Desperate for some positives like VoR in another thread!!!

torchomatic

I'd be happy with this appointment. There's no expectation and no baggage like you'd get if it was Black or Wise. We shall see though, I guess.

Brighton Sky Blue

This is an appointment we can't afford to get wrong, pure and simple-as such a heavy responsibility rests on Fisher and Waggott to get it right. Reputation isn't important to me, it's how the new man performs at CCFC that matters-and that is how I will judge him.

Interesting comment on the Oxford Mail site:

"I don't have a problem with Wilder going it's who we'd get to replace him, especially as we really need to go up this time round.
Personally and I've been banging on about this for years, I'd get Paul Tisdale from Exeter; he knows how to build a side and win playing attractive football and understanding the need to change tactics when something isn't working.

I'd be happy with Wilder staying but something tells me the deal has already been done now Lenagan is in charge."

Does this mean Wilder 1) doesn't play attractive football and 2) isn't reactive enough? I'd be surprised considering he got them promoted. Oxon_SB?

Otis

Oxford fans say he does play attacking football and his teams like to pass the ball about.

Evans020

Interesting comment on the Oxford Mail site:

"I don't have a problem with Wilder going it's who we'd get to replace him, especially as we really need to go up this time round.
Personally and I've been banging on about this for years, I'd get Paul Tisdale from Exeter; he knows how to build a side and win playing attractive football and understanding the need to change tactics when something isn't working.

I'd be happy with Wilder staying but something tells me the deal has already been done now Lenagan is in charge."

Does this mean Wilder 1) doesn't play attractive football and 2) isn't reactive enough? I'd be surprised considering he got them promoted. Oxon_SB?
I'm reading that as they think wilder will get them up so need somebody like tisdale who will also get them up..
The attractive football things doesn't bother me at all .its winning that does..apparently he plays 4-3-3 and 4-5-1 defending

Isn't Wise a gamble? Hasn't managed a team in years.

I think the biggest factor in Wise's favour is that everyone knows who he is and he'd be an inspirational figure in that regard - you only need to think back to when he last joined us to know that.

Chris Wilder may be a good manager but he'll be as much an unknown quantity to the players as he is to us; I worry that we need someone who will make them put a shift in.

ajsccfc

The Oxford Mail comment seems more to suggest that they want Tisdale who can also do the things Wilder has, rather than fill in the blanks.

I think the biggest factor in Wise's favour is that everyone knows who he is and he'd be an inspirational figure in that regard - you only need to think back to when he last joined us to know that.

Chris Wilder may be a good manager but he'll be as much an unknown quantity to the players as he is to us; I worry that we need someone who will make them put a shift in.

That's not disregarding him as an option, just a concern.

Grendel

This is a big gamble a manager who has never managed in this league or higher, seems to me that it is the cheap option. At the end of the day it really dosent matter who the manager is, with SISU at the helm we are doomed to do nothing. Until Hoffman or someone like that actually has something concrete to put forward our club can never move forward. Teams like soton and norwich are in the Prem mainly due to cash, as is the case with Wednesday and leicester

And yet clubs like Southampton and norwich went for the "cheap option" as a manager. Lambert and Adkins managed smaller clubs as Wilder himself does.
Swansea derided the choice of Brendan Rogers. We sacked Black purely because the chairman was seduced by a big name. The name means nothing and is no measure of ability. As MMM liked to point out Lambert started his career with a worse record than Thorn.
Also we would have to pay some form of compensation so this is not the cheap option.
Confused by Hoffmans name. He'd bring ranson back - great choices of manager he made.

I'm reading that as they think wilder will get them up so need somebody like tisdale who will also get them up..
The attractive football things doesn't bother me at all .its winning that does..apparently he plays 4-3-3 and 4-5-1 defending

Hope you're right. Whether people like it or not, we probably need someone with a similar ethos to Thorn in our approach play (granted a few of our players weren't sticking to it so far this season). Basically, we can't now appoint an Aidy B type manager because he don't have the players for it.

Grendel

A big gamble. Removed from football for a long time. He has an impressive win ratio but also had issues.

rob9872

I'm wondering which one is most apt - "See no evil, hear no evil" or "Stir crazy", although knowing City fans he will more likely be dubbed "Willy W*nka"

torchomatic

I agree. Wise has been out of the game for four years. People want him for his reputation rather than his ability. Tisdale, Wilder or someone of that ilk for me.

Grendel

Hope you're right. Whether people like it or not, we probably need someone with a similar ethos to Thorn in our approach play (granted a few of our players weren't sticking to it so far this season). Basically, we can't now appoint an Aidy B type manager because he don't have the players for it.

We need to avoid conceding goals. I am confused what thorns ethos was with defenders having to act as wingers. He will change the style every manager does and we need to.

Grendel

I agree. Wise has been out of the game for four years. People want him for his reputation rather than his ability. Tisdale, Wilder or someone of that ilk for me.

Do you think Wise would even be mentioned if he hadn't played for us? I don't.

Brighton Sky Blue

We need to avoid conceding goals. I am confused what thorns ethos was with defenders having to act as wingers. He will change the style every manager does and we need to.

How a professional team can be so terrible at defending set pieces as we are God only knows. What goes on in training?

rob9872

For you and me who have seen his career, but we have a number of young players who I would guess know very little of him. They may have heard about his reputation as I do for players like chopper harris or norman hunter but I know nothing more of them and our players perhaps wouldn't be as in awe of him as you may imagine.

Grendel

How a professional team can be so terrible at defending set pieces as we are God only knows. What goes on in training?

Good question especially as thorn and shaw are defenders who played at the highest level.
Keeping clean sheets is a factor and we need a lot more than we've been getting.

ajsccfc

First film I think of for Gene Wilder is Blazing Saddles. Let's hope the team doesn't have beans at half-time.

Well yes the diamond does mean that our full backs come forward more - but with the likes of Clarke and Christie (and Hussey for his crossing) in our squad we have players that are capable of hurting teams there.

We don't have pacey wingers so the style will have to be the passing one played under the diamond. The only other option is lumping it up to a target man (Ball seems like a good replacement for Platt) but we need someone to drill it into players like Wood that when McDonald and and Elliot are up front this isn't an option!

Grendel

Well yes the diamond does mean that our full backs come forward more - but with the likes of Clarke and Christie (and Hussey for his crossing) in our squad we have players that are capable of hurting teams there.

We don't have pacey wingers so the style will have to be the passing one played under the diamond. The only other option is lumping it up to a target man (Ball seems like a good replacement for Platt) but we need someone to drill it into players like Wood that when McDonald and and Elliot are up front this isn't an option!

The new manager will have his own ideas. Even if the general consensus is the style was entertaining (debatable) it does not stop the decline in attendances.
Winning is all that matters.

For you and me who have seen his career, but we have a number of young players who I would guess know very little of him. They may have heard about his reputation as I do for players like chopper harris or norman hunter but I know nothing more of them and our players perhaps wouldn't be as in awe of him as you may imagine.

Good point, I forget how young much of our squad is sometimes. I just think he need someone in charge who isn't a soft touch or comes across as 'a friend of the players'. Wise strikes me as the kind that commands respect and with him being a big name he'd get it from the word go.

The new manager will have his own ideas. Even if the general consensus is the style was entertaining (debatable) it does not stop the decline in attendances.

I agree that winning is paramount but that doesn't change the fact that we've now got a squad of players brought in to play in a certain way and we probably have no choice but stick to that way now.

Oxon_SB

Wilder does try to play attractive football... however, he never found a regular goalscorer (closest he cam e was Constable who is very hit an miss... and always the target for other clubs - Swindon, Bournemouth, Bristol R, etc.). He does also find it hard to change a game - very like our last few managers.

LJC_CCFC

No the the appointment of wilder will do that now

Users who are viewing this thread