Chris Wilder (1 Viewer)

Ccfcisparks

A few Oxford fans on twitter seem to think he is having talks with us? Can't see it being true because i doubt we would pay compensation for a manager!

Grendel

Odd just posted on another thread the same info.

Otis

Chris Wilder

Manager

Team Nat From To Record

G W D L Win %

Alfreton Town 2001 2 July 2002 ? ? ? ?

Halifax Town 2 July 2002 30 June 2008

Games 312 Wins 120 Draws 77 Defeats 115 38.46%

Oxford United 21 December 2008 Present

Games 185 Wins 87 Draws 48 Defeats 50 47.03 %

Total 497 207 125 165 41.65%

Grendel

Which Thread? :p

The one about a question CW should be asking. Someone told me he was the main target but if that's true or nonense who knows.

Grendel

If he's Gene's brother get him in. We need more funny people.

We couldn't afford Richard Prior as his assistant.

Ccfcisparks

The one about a question CW should be asking. Someone told me he was the main target but if that's true or nonense who knows.

Well these Oxford fans on twitter saying he has been interviewed, and he likes to play an attacking 433.

Ccfcisparks

They also say they are solid @ the back and don't concede many and create lots of chances but don't convert them!

Otis

Nope. Looks like he could be a possibility.

Certainly more preferable than Blackwell or Ince or suchlike for me.

A young hungry manager could certainly be an asset.

Otis

Says who?

He has a win ration of 46.77% at Oxford. How on earth is that crap? Much better than any manager we have had here for an absolute age.

zuniga

I don't think compensation would be an issue - the owners know how important this decision is, the cost of compensation is insignificant compared to another season of failure. Plus I doubt the figure would be especially high if we were poaching a manager from league one or two.

I'm starting to think our next manager needs to be someone who is currently in employment and making the most of his resources elsewhere. I just think Blackwell, Wise etc are too risky having been out of the game for so long, there is less chance of them being a success here compared to someone who is already working in that environment and used to success. Plus I suspect most of these out of work managers apply for every job that becomes available, which questions how much they really want the job here. I don't know a lot about Wilder but he has over 10 years management experience at Halifax and Oxford and appears to have a very good record at both clubs. He wouldn't be an inspiring appointment but maybe he would be the right one. Going for the big name manager hasn't worked for us in the past and I worry the likes of Wise and Blackwell would find it a struggle overcoming the deep ingrained losing mentality at this club. They both have decent records, but at clubs such as Leeds and Sheffield United who both had a culture of recent success behind them.

My only concern with a lower league manager is would he command enough respect from our bigger name players, although in reality I don't think that would ever be an issue - if he is a good manager the players will respect him regardless. A young (albeit experienced), hungry manager is exactly what we need at the moment.

Oxford fan in peace, had a look on skybet and wilder has gone down to 9/2 4th fav, many Oxford fans think he should have been sacked in the summer after our shocking finish to the season, he probably only kept his job as he was pally with the then chairman kelvin Thomas, Thomas has now left and been replaced by Ian lenaghan (Wigan rugby league chairman) he has stated nothing less than promotion will do and that wilders job could be under threat if we get a poor start. Now onto wilder, he took us from mid table non league to play off contenders which on paper is a great job, however he has had a large budget and blew it on 2nd rate loan players which cost us promotion, he plays 433 and only 433, whoever the central striker is will have to work on his own up top and will get no support as his widen have to play to deep, have a look on our forum (yellows proboards) for our real thoughts on him, personally I hope he stays to end of season but many Oxford fans would pay for the taxi to your place!! Good luck for rest of season, hope Cody macdonald is going well for you, he was brilliant for gillingham in league 2

Otis

Cheers for that.

Sticking with a system and refusing to budge from it. :thinking about::thinking about:

Sounds very familiar.

Yellows

Hi all, Oxford season ticket holder here. I personally will be gutted if Wilder leaves as he has done a great job here. Wilder is a young ambitious manager but he definitely has a stubborn streak. he is still learning and will make mistakes, but I believe he learns from them and will be a very good manager. Wilder came to Oxford when we were as low as you can get, the club was rotting from the inside, the fans were fighting, we had crap players on high wages and we were struggling in the conference. he took over on boxing day and we were bottom half of the league, we just missed out on the play offs even with a 5 point deduction. Then we got back into the football league and he has improved us every year. He has not had this massive budget that some people think, but what he has done is built a squad that commands a value, giving Oxford some valuable assets.

I agree with the other Oxford fan that since the new chairman has arrived his time may be numbered and he has lost his number one supporter.

I really hope he stays as I believe we could go up this year.

Good luck

Otis

Someone on GMK is saying that he has been working in Oxford and a lot of Oxford fans really seem to rate the bloke.

Gaz

My worry is that he has not been going long as a manager, looking at Paul Ince's record he looked very good at this point in this management career, but no many would want him now.

Evans020

I genuinely believe this is the appointment our club needs.big names never deliver at this club..somebody young .ambitious.and who is used to winning/promotion.at 44 could be a long term appointment for us..some of our fans have to accept we could be in league for 2-3 years minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread