Chris Wilder (1 Viewer)

Otis

Errm, some posters of Oxford's have said he had one of the biggest budgets, but other Oxford fans have totally refuted this and said it is not true. They are arguing it out of their forum as we speak and doing so heatedly.

Some are saying he had money and others are saying that is incorrect and he has worked on a very limited budget. They can't even agree amongst themselves.

What's with the sad little man comment? Can you not debate on a forum in a civilised manner without resorting to childish insults, or just you just disregard someone having an alternative view to that of your own?

LJC_CCFC

one of the biggest budgets in league 2 can be alot less than one of the biggest budgets in league 1, food for thought :thinking about:

yes but it is still a bigger budget than the rest of the teams in league 2 and yet they finished ninth dumbass

Otis

yes but it is still a bigger budget than the rest of the teams in league 2 and yet they finished ninth dumbass

Now you're insulting someone else!!

:facepalm:

An Oxford supporter: 'Whatever some of the learned posters on this thread, (oh my aching sides, Wilder and his massive budget
rolleyes.gif
) might like to propose ,the real professionals in the football world rate Wilder and the job he has done. '

This guy obviously believes he did not have a massive budget and lots of others are saying the same. Some say he has, others totally deny this.

Otis

I would be happy with that based on what I have heard.

You will always have some dissenters.

Baginton

not ince, his interviews are a mare to watch, he looks left and right about 3,000 times , he looks like he is watching a tennis game :facepalm:

Otis

Never noticed that.

When he started off in management he did brilliantly, but it's been a bit of a downward spiral since. I really would not want him here personally.

fernandopartridge

The club have the opportunity to appoint somebody with a little bit of standing in the game in Wise, any other decision will be treated with derision imo.

Otis

Said stacks of times that I would be happy with Wise.

A motivational leader i think he would prove to be.

Whilst I'm not a fan of boring football I'd take 1-0 wins week in week out so megson or Blackwell is what we need old heads ! Just a little side action it'll probs be Van Wilder bookies rarely lose . As others have said it's a lottery . Just hope they can turn us around whoever it is !

Sutty

This is the kind of appointment I want. I've speculated Tisdale, Abbott, Yates and Wilder is very much in that mould.

Obviously you can't guarantee anything but I'd be happy with Wilder.

Oxeter

Interesting debate, and similar to the split amongst Yellows about his possible departure to you boys. When Wilder came, it was a shock. Lots of big names had been touted, but we got an Ex Halifax manager who was assistant manager at Bury. It wasn't until you heard what the chairman said about Wilder and what Wilder himself said, that gave reason for optimism.
We were in the bottom half of the conference at the time. He turned things around immediately, with virtually the same team, and we went into our final game of the season with a shout of making the play offs if we won and others failed to do so. We lost!!
We started his first full season on fire and were walking the league. Things went tits up around March time and we had to contend with the play offs, beating York at Wembley to return to the league after 4 painful years.
First season back we played some fantastic football, thrashed Bristol Rovers in the league cup, but our problem was converting the numerous chances we were creating. Was a season of consolidation, with some great passing football.
Last season was a major disappointment. Despite beating our arch rivals home & away (the later for only the 2nd time, after a 38 year wait), we had a disastrous end to the season, taking only 3 points from the last seven matches. The quality of football from what I saw was not as good as we had enjoyed previously, but we had horrendous injury problems, and James Constables's form fell away badly after being sent off in the derby win at The Kassam in March.
We do NOT have one of the biggest budgets in the league, paying an horrendous rent to our former owner sees to that.
In my opinion, you could do much worse than Wilder. He is very passionate, gets his team playing decent football and we are in a much better place after nearly four years of him at the helm. Has brought some very good players to the club, the odd bollock dropped along the way. He is very respectful of the opposition, sadly,doesn't always afford the same to OUFC supporters.
I noticed someone quoting the Wise win ratio at Leeds. Think Mr Poyet being his assistant probably played a big part in that. Wouldn't want him down here.
If, as seems likely, Wilder does come to you, I wish him & the Sky Blues all the best.

BurbageSkyBlues

Thanks oxeter- an articulate and informative post. Some good insight, with a balanced view as to what may have influenced your progress.

Whatever happens, good luck to you down there- I remember your club's brief flirtation with the top flight, many years ago- you have certainly been on a rollercoaster ride, far steeper than ours (at the moment).....many on here would do well to appreciate that.

Oxeter

Cheers BSB. The heady days of 1985-8 seem a distant memory. One of our early games during the first season was a midweek trip to your place. When you have seen your side beat most of the 'big clubs' in the country, watching four humbling years in non leagues top flight is a very miserable experience.
Our demise from the championship to the trap door of the football league was down to a Chairman who had his eye on the land deal opportunity that came with the new stadium and a string of poor Managerial appointments.
Wilder is the best manager we have had since Denis Smith's first stint with us before he went to West Brom. I think it's afantstic opportunity for him and I think he'd do a far better job than some of the big name applicants that have been mentioned.

junglej13

Our demise from the championship to the trap door of the football league was down to a Chairman who had his eye on the land deal opportunity that came with the new stadium and a string of poor Managerial appointments.

Sounds familiar. Cheers for the input on Wilder.

Skyblueloyal

Just been on Talksport that he will become our new manager on Monday morning.

CCFC_Charlie

A manager like Wilder or Tisdale is exactly the kind of manager we need. Young and hungry. A manager for whom the job is a step up, the highest he's been in his managerial career, not a manager who has been out the game for a while, or a manager who has failed and needs a stepping stone.

Grendel

A manager like Wilder or Tisdale is exactly the kind of manager we need. Young and hungry. A manager for whom the job is a step up, the highest he's been in his managerial career, not a manager who has been out the game for a while, or a manager who has failed and needs a stepping stone.

Agreed. I think someone looking at the job as a challenge and an opportunity as opposed to yet another payday should not be underestimated.

Paxman II

Think AVB. Young hungry and has had great teachers in Robson and Muriniho but was a disaster at Chelsea and Spurs doesn't look too clever yet either.
If true then I would be very surprised at such an appointment.We need experience desperately and to risk this clubs very surviavl on anything less would be negligent. It certainly won't inspire any fans in numbers and I can't see players getting overly excited at the prospect either.
This club is hanging by a thread. We need a Warnock figure and that man increasingly looks like Wise to me. Stature is required.

Last edited:

Otis

Are you blind did you not read about Wilder having one of the biggest budgets in league 2 last season and didn't make the play offs. Perspective is needed blah blah effin blah WISE FTW GOODNIGHT YOU SAD LITTLE MAN

'
'We do NOT have one of the biggest budgets in the league, paying an horrendous rent to our former owner sees to that.'

And

'Wilder is the best manager we have had since Denis Smith's first stint with us before he went to West Brom. I think it's fantastic opportunity for him and I think he'd do a far better job than some of the big name applicants that have been mentioned. '

Blind?:whistle:

sky blue john

Why do some keep harping on about wise ?
Everyone who is supporting wise can't give one solid reasen !!!
All they say it has to be wise.
To me the only difference between wise and ince is that wise played for us.
Either one would be to big a gamble !

Diehard Si

Wise applied but I'm guessing wanted too much ££

If its Wilder then I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not jumping for joy like Wise, but I'm not jumping out of a window either.

The bloke has clearly done a good job, he's not perfect ( otherwise he'd be managing some prem league team ) but is probably the best we can afford.

Let's all get behind Chris Wilders Sky Blue Army!!

Otis

Wise applied but I'm guessing wanted too much ££

If its Wilder then I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not jumping for joy like Wise, but I'm not jumping out of a window either.

The bloke has clearly done a good job, he's not perfect ( otherwise he'd be managing some prem league team ) but is probably the best we can afford.

Let's all get behind Chris Wilders Sky Blue Army!!

Indeed. Guessing that we simply couldn't afford the likes of Wise and that he would also want some financial backing in the transfer markets.

I am optimistic about Wilder.

LJC_CCFC

'
'We do NOT have one of the biggest budgets in the league, paying an horrendous rent to our former owner sees to that.'

And

'Wilder is the best manager we have had since Denis Smith's first stint with us before he went to West Brom. I think it's fantastic opportunity for him and I think he'd do a far better job than some of the big name applicants that have been mentioned. '

Blind?:whistle:

Just referring to crap information put on this thread from a supposed person in the know

LJC_CCFC

Why do some keep harping on about wise ?
Everyone who is supporting wise can't give one solid reasen !!!
All they say it has to be wise.
To me the only difference between wise and ince is that wise played for us.
Either one would be to big a gamble !

This is a big gamble a manager who has never managed in this league or higher, seems to me that it is the cheap option. At the end of the day it really dosent matter who the manager is, with SISU at the helm we are doomed to do nothing. Until Hoffman or someone like that actually has something concrete to put forward our club can never move forward. Teams like soton and norwich are in the Prem mainly due to cash, as is the case with Wednesday and leicester

JulianDarbyFTW

500 games in management and some people are saying he's inexperienced? Really? Tell you what, shall we boo him during his first game then? Sheesh, this forum is becoming like one of those suicide ones the Daily Mail bang on about.

mark82

The only people doubting Chris Wilder are those who do not know enough about him. Maybe give him a chance before writing him off.

Users who are viewing this thread