Chris Wilder (1 Viewer)

SkyBlue_Bear83

Personally I was hoping we could get someone in early next week to give him time to work with the team before the Stevenage game

Black6Osprey

I have absolutely no idea if this would be a good appointment or not. The problem with this whole manager lark is that just because youve done well at one club doesn't mean you'll do well at the next and vice versa. You pays your money and take your choice and it either works or it doesn't. It does make me laugh how so many people have such fixed opinions on who would be good and who would be the wrong choice. The good choice is the one that works out and I dont care if thats Southgate, Wise, Wilder, McLeish, Shaw or whoever. No one can predict what constitutes a good appointment. Its all hindsight. Thorn was a bad choice and Jimmy Hill was good. Its only based on the results and until the chosen manager has some results to talk about who gives a shit. If we had taken Nigel Adkins before he went to Scunny you'd have all moaned like drains and yet I remember lots of positive vibes with the announcement of Coleman.

cloughie

I have absolutely no idea if this would be a good appointment or not. The problem with this whole manager lark is that just because youve done well at one club doesn't mean you'll do well at the next and vice versa. You pays your money and take your choice and it either works or it doesn't. It does make me laugh how so many people have such fixed opinions on who would be good and who would be the wrong choice. The good choice is the one that works out and I dont care if thats Southgate, Wise, Wilder, McLeish, Shaw or whoever. No one can predict what constitutes a good appointment. Its all hindsight. Thorn was a bad choice and Jimmy Hill was good. Its only based on the results and until the chosen manager has some results to talk about who gives a shit. If we had taken Nigel Adkins before he went to Scunny you'd have all moaned like drains and yet I remember lots of positive vibes with the announcement of Coleman.

Be hard to disagree with what you say

Oxon_SB

Please no. I was a season ticket holder at Oxford last year (taking my sons to see their local team) and saw a team that should have gone up falter at the last hurdle - Another manager that doesn't appear to be able to sort things defensively and his team was very adept at throwing away leads... especially at home. Sounds too familiar! Few nice players there, and also nice to see Liam Davis and Andy Whing still plying their trade, for those of you of a certain age.
Nice club, will probably go up this year, but absolutely should given their investment! Don't think he'd be a big step forwards for us... and I fear more of the same old, same old with Mr Wilder.

LJC_CCFC

Please no. I was a season ticket holder at Oxford last year (taking my sons to see their local team) and saw a team that should have gone up falter at the last hurdle - Another manager that doesn't appear to be able to sort things defensively and his team was very adept at throwing away leads... especially at home. Sounds too familiar! Few nice players there, and also nice to see Liam Davis and Andy Whing still plying their trade, for those of you of a certain age.
Nice club, will probably go up this year, but absolutely should given their investment! Don't think he'd be a big step forwards for us... and I fear more of the same old, same old with Mr Wilder.

Let's get him in quick then

cloughie

well if he has been given money over and above the other teams in that league then that should ring alarm bells because he aint gonna get nowt here

Oxon_SB

Probably 2nd or 3rd highest budget last year... lots of loan players in towards the end of the season but very little quality (Robbie Hall from West Ham was good, but too many journeymen) and not great spirit, especially when Duberry was injured or suspended.

cloughie

But Wilders stats look good to me

but maybe if put into context.......... its a lottery picking a manager

Otis

Lots of Oxford fans seem to like him though. For every dissenter you can find a supporter.

The win stats can't be argued with. 47%.

Oxon_SB

Agree, no guarantees and he might be fabulous for us. Stats are however skewed by time in the conference and 10-12 very poor teams in the 4th tier last year. A listen to the phone-in on local radio here will tell you he's still to win over most fans (not that phone -ins are representative... Ian on CWR!?).

cloughie

Lots of Oxford fans seem to like him though. For every dissenter you can find a supporter.

The win stats can't be argued with. 47%.

Yes the stats caught my attention and that makes me think he could be good, and I was keen

but hey I and alot of us have thought that about a good few others ......admitidley without those stats

Otis

'Wilder would be a cheaper option plus has experience of managing on a shoe string. '

'See the Oxford Mail journalist has tweeted that he could be a potential candidate.

I hope Wilder stays with us ..'

'Despite having a promotion on his CV and season on season improvement, he excelled in driving wages down at a football club where they were out of control.

Not only that, he has built a side full of valuable assets. I'd say Wilder has got better attributes and suited far better to that job than some of those high-profile desperados who are linked.'

'Wilder has steadied the ship at OUFC and that will be a major attraction to a lot of chairman. Wilder would be one of those who'd initially split a club, the fans would be distraught at such an appointment but the board would be quietly confident that they have a man who will slowly get the fans on side.

Coventry is a massive job for someone. They've only spent about 5 or 6 years out of the top flight in the last 50 years and Wilder would be mad to pass this up if he got offered it.'

Otis

Except we don't need wins in league 2 or the BSP

He's got League 2 players. Here he would have League 1 players. Don't see the argument being relevant. He has a win ratio of 47% with League Two players in League 2.

He would have better players here in a higher division. League One players in League One.

Besides, Oxford are 3rd in League Two. Where are we in League 1?

cloughie

'Wilder would be a cheaper option plus has experience of managing on a shoe string. '

'See the Oxford Mail journalist has tweeted that he could be a potential candidate.

I hope Wilder stays with us ..'

'Despite having a promotion on his CV and season on season improvement, he excelled in driving wages down at a football club where they were out of control.

Not only that, he has built a side full of valuable assets. I'd say Wilder has got better attributes and suited far better to that job than some of those high-profile desperados who are linked.'

'Wilder has steadied the ship at OUFC and that will be a major attraction to a lot of chairman. Wilder would be one of those who'd initially split a club, the fans would be distraught at such an appointment but the board would be quietly confident that they have a man who will slowly get the fans on side.

Coventry is a massive job for someone. They've only spent about 5 or 6 years out of the top flight in the last 50 years and Wilder would be mad to pass this up if he got offered it.'

Does sound ideal but I'm just unsure about anybody getting us out of this mire

we need someone to grasp this team and club by the throat and shake it up,

a true leader on and off the pitch

Oxon_SB

No more negatives from me on Mr Wilder... in case he comes! On the positive side, If he does turn-up... I'd like to see him bring a couple of players. Alfie Potter - attacking player, fast skillful (missed much of last season with a broken leg, but back and with a bite too- a joy to see him take our Mark Noble in pre-season) and get's the crowd off their feet; Jake Wright, a reliable defender, who can bring the ball out too; and if there's any way to get Jake Forster-Caskey from Brighton (loanee this season) then that would be the best of the lot.

Otis

Does sound ideal but I'm just unsure about anybody getting us out of this mire

we need someone to grasp this team and club by the throat and shake it up,

a true leader on and off the pitch

Only picked the pro posts out here, but just looked at the first page and there were a lot of people saying positive things about him.

Gaz

This is off the Oxford fans forum ..

What a load of crap.
He has excelled in driving down wages?
So much so that IL has to keep putting hundreds of thousands of pounds into the club.
He has built a side full of valuable assets, really who would that be?
Wilder has better attributes and suited far better to that job than others.
What a load of shit,he has had 2 years managing in division 2,at a club with one of the biggest budgets,and hasnt even reached the play offs.
Why would a division 1 club even consider Wilder?

LJC_CCFC

He's got League 2 players. Here he would have League 1 players. Don't see the argument being relevant. He has a win ratio of 47% with League Two players in League 2.

He would have better players here in a higher division. League One players in League One.

Besides, Oxford are 3rd in League Two. Where are we in League 1?

Errr west brom are 3rd so champions league for them then....I think not
Appointing a man like wise or ince will give us another reason for better players to sign, appointing a man like wilder with give us a chance to sign Andy whing nuff said.

Otis

Errr west brom are 3rd so champions league for them then....I think not
Appointing a man like wise or ince will give us another reason for better players to sign, appointing a man like wilder with give us a chance to sign Andy whing nuff said.

Who are we signing? We've got no money.

My point was that we are a League One side. We are not a big club anymore. There is just one division between us and Oxford.

And Ince? The bloke who lost 9 on the trot at Notts County and has been on a downward spiral for a number of years?

Last two jobs.

Milton Keynes Dons (2009–10)

On 3 July 2009, Ince signed again for Milton Keynes Dons on a two-year deal.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ince#cite_note-25 During Ince's second spell the Dons were less successful, primarily due to negative tactics and many panic buys during transfer windows. However on 16 April 2010, he announced that he would leave the job a year early, at the end of the 2009–10 season.
Notts County

Ince returned to management on 28 October 2010, signing a three year deal with Notts County. On 3 April 2011 he left the club by mutual consent after losing a club record 9 games in a row, including a 2-0 defeat to relegation rivals Oldham Athletic the day before.

Last edited:

LJC_CCFC

Who are we signing? We've got no money.

My point was that we are a League One side. We are not a big club anymore. There is just one division between us and Oxford.

And Ince? The bloke who lost 9 on the trot at Notts County and has been on a downward spiral for a number of years?

Last two jobs.

Milton Keynes Dons (2009–10)

On 3 July 2009, Ince signed again for Milton Keynes Dons on a two-year deal.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ince#cite_note-25 During Ince's second spell the Dons were less successful, primarily due to negative tactics and many panic buys during transfer windows. However on 16 April 2010, he announced that he would leave the job a year early, at the end of the 2009–10 season.
Notts County

Ince returned to management on 28 October 2010, signing a three year deal with Notts County. On 3 April 2011 he left the club by mutual consent after losing a club record 9 games in a row, including a 2-0 defeat to relegation rivals Oldham Athletic the day before.

Paul Ince win ratio - 43.37
Dennis wise win ratio (at Leeds during longest stint as manager) - 47.47

Compared with

Wilder - 41.57
Tisdale - 38.68

Food for thought

cloughie

Ince blackwell megson ....................oh NOoooooooooooo absolute no hopers

We need some hope and we need a true leader Dennis Wise or Wilder look the best candidates to me

just my opinion

Otis

'I can see why Wilder is a contender for this job. Coventry desperately need stability and are totally potless. The last thing they need is another 'name' , please god, Denis Wise? on a ridculous salary.

Whatever some of the learned posters on this thread, (oh my aching sides, Wilder and his massive budget
rolleyes.gif
) might like to propose ,the real professionals in the football world rate Wilder and the job he has done.

He's got a year left on his contract so compo not a huge issue. If it's not Coventry then other jobs might come along.'

Otis

Compared with

Wilder - 41.57
Tisdale - 38.68

Food for thought

But as I said, Ince was brilliant in his first two positions when he first started out, but his star seems to be very much on the wane the last few years and in his last two positions he has failed miserably.

cloughie

'I can see why Wilder is a contender for this job. Coventry desperately need stability and are totally potless. The last thing they need is another 'name' , please god, Denis Wise? on a ridculous salary.

Whatever some of the learned posters on this thread, (oh my aching sides, Wilder and his massive budget
rolleyes.gif
) might like to propose ,the real professionals in the football world rate Wilder and the job he has done.

He's got a year left on his contract so compo not a huge issue. If it's not Coventry then other jobs might come along.'

wise has applied I'm sure he knows the budgets ..ie low wages for managers and players

If he's hungry enough to take a 'low' wage then that will show the desire,

He is already a milllionaire he dosen't need the crap unless he has desire

not convinced he should be the one but jusy saying

Ccfcisparks

Compared with

Wilder - 41.57
Tisdale - 38.68

Food for thought

You have Wise who has been out the game for 4 years and Ince who has had inconsistency at lots of different clubs, whereas Tisdale and Wilder are currently in clubs in a stable condition and are striving for success this year!

Food for thought

Last edited:

Otis

You have Wise who has been out the game for 4 years and Ince who has had inconsistency at lots of different clubs, whereas Tisdale and Wilder are currently in clubs in a stable condition and are striving for success this year!

Food for thought

It's all about resources too.

Ince was at MK Dons, who must have one of the richest owners in the division and big one of the biggest spenders.

We don't have a pot to piss in and are reliant on freebies. Perspective is needed.

Ccfcisparks

Ince was at MK Dons, who must have one of the richest owners in the division and big one of the biggest spenders.

We don't have a pot to piss in and are reliant on freebies. Perspective is needed.

Exactly that is why Tisdale and Wilder would be decent appointments because they are used to running a club on a shoe string, something which Wise, Ince, Blackwell would struggle with!

LJC_CCFC

Are you blind did you not read about Wilder having one of the biggest budgets in league 2 last season and didn't make the play offs. Perspective is needed blah blah effin blah WISE FTW GOODNIGHT YOU SAD LITTLE MAN

Ccfcisparks

Are you blind did you not read about Wilder having one of the biggest budgets in league 2 last season and didn't make the play offs. Perspective is needed blah blah effin blah WISE FTW GOODNIGHT YOU SAD LITTLE MAN

One of the biggest budgets in League 2 can be alot less than one of the biggest budgets in League 1, Food for thought :thinking about:

Users who are viewing this thread