CCFC Supports Rainbow Laces - Why? (4 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

I imagine this question would normally be asked in Off Topics but the club tweeted it would be supporting the Rainbow Laces campaign this weekend. Not wishing to be facetious but I am genuinely trying to understand a simple question….

WHY?

While I appreciate that societies 'norm' from my generation is shifting at an alarming rate, I do not understand why the club is providing awareness to a tiny and perhaps growing fraction of our fanbase. If the Rainbow Laces wing of the LGBT+ community want to practice their sexual/gender choices, then go for it. What I am struggling with is why their choices are being held up as the new 'norm' that should be accepted by those who may not share in their choices?

I totally get the club making a stance by supporting issues that are a result of no choice at all like the colour of your skin, your country of birth, vicious diseases etc but not somebody else’s sexual/gender choices.

I wonder how we would all feel at election time if the club got behind the Conservative Party with blue armbands, laces and corner flags? Most would see this as plain daft and divisive to rip apart the fan base to support a political choice.

I am quite happy to be educated here especially from those who support the Rainbow Laces campaign. However, if the only reasoned remarks to my question are you're a homophobe or a bigot and general name calling then I will simply dismiss the comment with the contempt it deserves.

When travelling hundreds of miles home and away, I do this to support Coventry City Football Club and I am not concerned about anybody’s sexual/gender preference when jumping up and down when we’ve scored or when we’re all singing together getting behind the team.

Just interested in the rationale behind it all, and if the goal is to encourage society to accept their choices, then what about the choices of the vast majority? - Most of which would just remain silent as not to get ‘called out’.

No fault of the club but I would prefer this Saturday’s game to be all about John Sillet, 3 points a nothing else.

Should the club be involved with these kinds of campaigns?
Why does it bother you if they do?

ajl

@shmmeee criticises a young girl and her looks for absolutely no reason… haha funny

Someone attempts to gauge the response for the rainbow laces campaign… ban him!
I think you'll find i said - if hes on the windup then ban - if hes trying to educate himself then thats all good hes trying to futher his knowledge - however he has said offensive things - your sexuality is not a choice - its who you are

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Tbf I think the op may have some feelings that he is confused by and doesn't know how to vent them
I’m giving the OP the benefit of doubt, I don’t think he’s Wumming, genuinely think he’s asking the question.

you’ve mentioned that you’re an openly gay guy. The impact of this campaign would best come from you.

i see it as football saying “doesn’t matter who you like - if you’re good enough, you can play”

Nick

Administrator
Not sure why there would be any issue with this? It's a once per season thing to raise awareness, in an ideal world it wouldn't be needed. It is though.

Aside from the reasons behind it, the laces actually look pretty good compared to plain black.

Warthog

Tbf i dont come on the forum much apart from near matchdays, i had a notification about this post so that's why ive seen it and noticed it

Obviously haven't read that other thread you mention

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

You wouldn’t want to mate some nasty people on here.

I’ll always consistently speak out against them though

AOM

The club had to delete homophobic and offensive comments on the official Facebook page yesterday.

That's why the club is supporting the campaign - because that shit still goes on.

"But why won't more professional footballers come out in public?"

Danceswithhorses

It's a really easy answer this.

It really isn't a choice. If it was, then perhaps given all of violence and bigotry and prejudice that's gone on over the years, most people would have 'chosen' differently. Particularly the ones who killed themselves or were beaten, 'converted', or chemically castrated for making the wrong 'choice'.

So, given that, the rainbow laces campaign is about saying that it's ok to be who you are, even in football. We're obviously not there yet, but it's progress.

Now that it's been explained, will you change your opinion, or will you continue to be outraged?
Well said Duffer...my thoughts exactly

Warthog

The only person who has suggested the OP was banned, only suggested that if they were using their 'material' as a wind-up. If the OP were to acknowledge that certain sentences were tactless at best, that would be the end of it.

Because people are allowed to make mistakes... even you.

‘People are allowed to make mistakes’

Would that be the response if someone was racist on here? Or does that only apply to other slurs?

One posters doesn’t regret criticising the appearance of a young girl he doesn’t know for no reason other than his enjoyment. He hasn’t said sorry yet that’s allowed is it?

Other posters don’t regret telling me I have no friends or to get a life despite being the most prevalent posters on the mental health thread. They’ve not said sorry in fact they continue to say similar things. How are they mistakes?

mmttww

I imagine this question would normally be asked in Off Topics but the club tweeted it would be supporting the Rainbow Laces campaign this weekend. Not wishing to be facetious but I am genuinely trying to understand a simple question….

WHY?

While I appreciate that societies 'norm' from my generation is shifting at an alarming rate, I do not understand why the club is providing awareness to a tiny and perhaps growing fraction of our fanbase. If the Rainbow Laces wing of the LGBT+ community want to practice their sexual/gender choices, then go for it. What I am struggling with is why their choices are being held up as the new 'norm' that should be accepted by those who may not share in their choices?

I totally get the club making a stance by supporting issues that are a result of no choice at all like the colour of your skin, your country of birth, vicious diseases etc but not somebody else’s sexual/gender choices.

I wonder how we would all feel at election time if the club got behind the Conservative Party with blue armbands, laces and corner flags? Most would see this as plain daft and divisive to rip apart the fan base to support a political choice.

I am quite happy to be educated here especially from those who support the Rainbow Laces campaign. However, if the only reasoned remarks to my question are you're a homophobe or a bigot and general name calling then I will simply dismiss the comment with the contempt it deserves.

When travelling hundreds of miles home and away, I do this to support Coventry City Football Club and I am not concerned about anybody’s sexual/gender preference when jumping up and down when we’ve scored or when we’re all singing together getting behind the team.

Just interested in the rationale behind it all, and if the goal is to encourage society to accept their choices, then what about the choices of the vast majority? - Most of which would just remain silent as not to get ‘called out’.

No fault of the club but I would prefer this Saturday’s game to be all about John Sillet, 3 points a nothing else.

Should the club be involved with these kinds of campaigns?

Until footballers are comfortable being seen to be something other than straight, this campaign and a whole lot more is needed.

You don't choose who you want to f*ck; you just want to. Christian bullsh*t has led to the norms you talk about. Nothing scientific or evidence-based.

Some footballers aren't straight. Some CCFC fans aren't straight. Until those facts no longer warrant comment, campaigns like this are needed.

Nick

Administrator

Would that be the response if someone was racist on here? Or does that only apply to other slurs?

One posters doesn’t regret criticising the appearance of a young girl he doesn’t know for no reason other than his enjoyment. He hasn’t said sorry yet that’s allowed is it?

Other posters don’t regret telling me I have no friends or to get a life despite being the most prevalent posters on the mental health thread. They’ve not said sorry in fact they continue to say similar things. How are they mistakes?

Post about it in the other threads using all of your other accounts. You're boring.

rob9872

My one take from all these campaigns is why do people get so annoyed? CCFC supporting the campaign isn’t going to negatively affect anyone.

Matty Godden wearing rainbow laces isn’t going to stop him scoring. So why get outraged by it
Correct. Nobody is asking people to like or agree with it, but be respectful to the vast majority who do. I doubt we'll ever have a completely unified stance behind race, sexuality or anything else, but even if they don't agree with it then simply be quiet.

As you say rainbow laces won't stop him scoring so no negativity required. Similar when the knee is being taken, I applaud along with many others to drown out the few who still boo, but it's 9 seconds ffs, if they don't like it why boo and antoginse the team you're there to support - just stand quietly and move on. Tbh I guess I simply don't understand it.

NorthernWisdom

For what it's worth, in my experience, this doesn't usually happen irl. People usually double down on it.
Indeed. But there always has to be a place for people to accept they maybe chose their words unwisely and, once they recognise that what they said is inappropriate, then that's it, move on.

I'm sure the OP will be along to acknowledge that they didn't really mean that peoples' sexuality was their choice or, they'll accept that that may well cause offense to people, and will go off to find out why such a statement causes offense to many.

duffer

The problem is that you've chosen to wind people up and be deliberately provocative, and frankly, post rank untruths. And guess what, people have bitten.

Are you saying that you've done this because you've got mental health issues? If so, I'm genuinely sorry if I've hurt your feelings, but I'd advise either a more considered approach to posting or a self-enforced rest from the forum.

No one deserves to get hammered on here, but I get the impression that some people seem to provoke and then enjoy it.

mr_monkey

I’m giving the OP the benefit of doubt, I don’t think he’s Wumming, genuinely think he’s asking the question.

you’ve mentioned that you’re an openly gay guy. The impact of this campaign would best come from you.

i see it as football saying “doesn’t matter who you like - if you’re good enough, you can play”

Exactly the way I see it as well mate. To be honest opening this thread this morning I was anxious about what I'd see but it's actually been awesome to see so much positivity from the majority of people which gives me a bit of faith in humanity

rob9872

Exactly the way I see it as well mate. To be honest opening this thread this morning I was anxious about what I'd see but it's actually been awesome to see so much positivity from the majority of people which gives me a bit of faith in humanity
That's your first mistake. This is one thread of thousands and we're basically all cunts on most of the others :)

mr_monkey

You who said anyone who refuses a vaccine is scum.
Be careful who you choose to discriminate against my friend

Completely different situations and you know that, I have no choice in being attracted to men (and I wouldn't want to change it) the vast majority who refuse the vaccine do it by uneducated choice

Who I am attracted to affects noone but myself and who I am with, not getting the vaccine for bullshit reasons affects other people around you

MAFF

No wind up mate! I guess it all hinges on whether you believe someone's sexuality preference is a choice or not and whether you think everyone should accept it if it is.

Like I said in my OP, I'm just looking to guage a reasoned response.

the reasoned response is that you're a fucking idiot

PVA

You who said anyone who refuses a vaccine is scum.
Be careful who you choose to discriminate against my friend

giphy.gif

NortonSkyBlue

In my lifetime we have gone from the hidden to the open gay lifestyles in plain sight and I can understand some being uncomfortable with the evolution as it has happened.
I have a son who I could see was gay from early on, it was not one thing but many indicators that were noticeable pre puberty, non of which were sexual. His “choice” was to embrace what he is and for his family to provide a base that allowed him to be himself.
Do I wish that he was a straight man? I have never had that thought because it is what he is. Choices he has made are because who he is, he never had a choice about who he is Just a much as he never had the choice to be mixed race. He is what he is and I embrace the fine man he has become.

stay_up_skyblues

In my lifetime we have gone from the hidden to the open gay lifestyles in plain sight and I can understand some being uncomfortable with the evolution as it has happened.
I have a son who I could see was gay from early on, it was not one thing but many indicators that were noticeable pre puberty, non of which were sexual. His “choice” was to embrace what he is and for his family to provide a base that allowed him to be himself.
Do I wish that he was a straight man? I have never had that thought because it is what he is. Choices he has made are because who he is, he never had a choice about who he is Just a much as he never had the choice to be mixed race. He is what he is and I embrace the fine man he has become.

Great post.

My nephew spent the years of ages 8 - 18 incredibly depressed, introverted and isolated. It got very dark at one point with signs of self harm and some very concerning letters he wrote to himself that were found by his parents. Medication and counselling etc. did nothing for him.

He came out to his parents last year and is like a different person now. Full of joy and flying in life.

I won’t profess to know or understand the intricacies of his mind but even to the layman it’s clear there was a link between him being to frightened to be himself until last year and his mental health issues. The idea that someone would “choose” to go through that is at best naive and at worst insulting.

Danceswithhorses

🥇 well said

Users who are viewing this thread