Match Thread Cardiff (2 Viewers)

Magwitch

I have said before, win a third & draw a third of our remaining games we stop up, this fixture comes for me into either of those categories but I have a gut feeling we will win this one.

stevefloyd

We need to take the positives from the Brum game of keeping a clean sheet and create and take some chances...so must win not really but we must start winning soon

Philosorapter

Edit - Moved from a later post to here.

Just to comment on this, 'must-win' thing:

We have just came out of provisional mode where we now have a newly established Best of (1310) with over 30 games remaining according to the latest iteration of Glicko-2, which we are using here.

I believe a rating of around (1400) would usually bring us close to safety in the league if we can maintain this strength of rating over the course of the present season.

Of course, the season is young and who knows where we will be positioned at New Year or Easter.

Last edited:

PUSB-We_are_going_up

A win here will bring us closer to the pack ahead of us.
But if we do drop into the relegation zone we wanna be as close on points as possible to the rest of the relegation contenders

Sky Blue Harry H

I watched Millwall v Cardiff. Cardiff were much the better side and play more football. Their main threat is obviously Keiffer Moore - who holds it up well, and is 6' 5". The other forward alongside him is Galatzel, who hasn't scored in ages, but is also a physical handful. They looked a decent team throughout to me, although I'm hoping that Morrison - one of their key players at the back may have picked up a knock during the Millwall game - he was hobbling towards the end. We can take something off them, but if we get pushed back and sit deep, we will be asking for trouble. Josh Murphy (Jacob's twin) plays for these too - was on the bench on Saturday, but set up the equaliser.
I don't know a lot about Cardiff, but I'm doing my usual bit of studying our opponents before we play them. Not good for the nerves. FWIW, I think we can beat Millwall, who just kick everything - occasionally the ball - and hope their giant forward Smith gets onto the end of it.

BornSlippySkyBlue

How can anybody not see ANY game as a must win? You must love inviting your own pressure.
But by that logic we ‘must win’ every game. Of course every game should be played as if we want the 3 points, but surely a ‘must win’ implies that by not doing so we’ll get relegated (or miss out on playoffs, autos etc). None of which are the case if we lose to Cardiff. Nobody’s saying take it easy or don’t try to win.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I watched Millwall v Cardiff. Cardiff were much the better side and play more football. Their main threat is obviously Keiffer Moore - who holds it up well, and is 6' 5". The other forward alongside him is Galatzel, who hasn't scored in ages, but is also a physical handful. They looked a decent team throughout to me, although I'm hoping that Morrison - one of their key players at the back may have picked up a knock during the Millwall game - he was hobbling towards the end. We can take something off them, but if we get pushed back and sit deep, we will be asking for trouble. Josh Murphy (Jacob's twin) plays for these too - was on the bench on Saturday, but set up the equaliser.
I don't know a lot about Cardiff, but I'm doing my usual bit of studying our opponents before we play them. Not good for the nerves. FWIW, I think we can beat Millwall, who just kick everything - occasionally the ball - and hope their giant forward Smith gets onto the end of it.

Moore whilst a good player at this level isn't their main threat by any stretch.

They have Harry Wilson on loan from Liverpool who, in my opinion, should be playing in the Premier League.

Sky Blue Harry H

Moore whilst a good player at this level isn't their main threat by any stretch.

They have Harry Wilson on loan from Liverpool who, in my opinion, should be playing in the Premier League.

I know - I could have listed several of their players, but a key part of their tactics is to hit the ball up to Moore and play off him. Once they have pushed up the pitch they try and get a cross in to use his aerial threat. Us not dropping too deep/giving away free kicks in our half will be key to gaining a result imo. Plus it will help if they are crap at crossing on the night 🤣🤣

Tommo1993

But by that logic we ‘must win’ every game. Of course every game should be played as if we want the 3 points, but surely a ‘must win’ implies that by not doing so we’ll get relegated (or miss out on playoffs, autos etc). None of which are the case if we lose to Cardiff. Nobody’s saying take it easy or don’t try to win.

Realistically every game is a must win. It’s hope vs. expectation, I don’t expect to win every game, not even 50%. But we really can’t be going into games with the mindset that’s it’s ok if we don’t with this one. Like I said it just makes the business end of the season heavier for us.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Realistically every game is a must win. It’s hope vs. expectation, I don’t expect to win every game, not even 50%. But we really can’t be going into games with the mindset that’s it’s ok if we don’t with this one. Like I said it just makes the business end of the season heavier for us.
Oh yeah, we need to approach games like we need to win every one, and I’m sure Robins never tells them a draw is ok. But towards the end of the season I’m also pretty sure there will be some that if we don’t win, we’re screwed. They are the ‘must win at all costs’ games. We’re not there yet, but I do get your point that avoiding getting there would be good, however unlikely!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think MR will stick with the formation we started with on Fri. Only possible way that might change is if Godden is available and he decides to play them both.

Obv could do with a win but not losing at this stage is Ok. It's once we get into Dec and Jan we really need to look at those games as very winnable.

johnwillomagic

I don't think Cardiff have as many dynamic players up front to hurt as much as many other sided in the Championship.
For that reason alone I think we go 3 - 1 - 4 -2 and go for it a little bit with two forwards - hopefully Godden will be fit.
I think Dabo will be rested for this one and will be on the bench - this is team I hope for whether MR does this I have my doubts.

Marosi

Osti Fadz Hyam

Kely

McCallum Sheaf Hamer Giles

Walker Godden

Subs: Wilson, Dabo, Pask, Allen, Shipley, O'Hare, Jobello, Biamou, Baka

D

Deleted member 11652

I think we’ll go back to 3-5-2 rightly or wrongly. I think the change to a back 4 was forced with the personnel available.

Magwitch

In my opinion we have to start playing a settled team in our best line up. I don’t think a back four worked to be honest so it’s wing backs for me Dabo and Giles, although I think McCallum is a better defender Giles stretches defences with his pace going forward from deep and then Hamer in Centre mid not wide feeding them. Now Kelly is back and fit he should start with Sheaf too, but where does that leave O’Hare ? the front two like it to be Walker and Godden if one or the other is unfit not sure about Baka or Max think I’d prefer O’Hare higher up top.

Brighton Sky Blue

In my opinion we have to start playing a settled team in our best line up. I don’t think a back four worked to be honest so it’s wing backs for me Dabo and Giles, although I think McCallum is a better defender Giles stretches defences with his pace going forward from deep and then Hamer in Centre mid not wide feeding them. Now Kelly is back and fit he should start with Sheaf too, but where does that leave O’Hare ? the front two like it to be Walker and Godden if one or the other is unfit not sure about Baka or Max think I’d prefer O’Hare higher up top.

Robins would rather go 1 up top than pair Max or Baka with anyone which says a bit

87 n all that

Marosi
Dabo osti mcfadz hyam giles
Kelly sheaf
Hamer
Godden Walker

We don’t have a CAM who’s at the level yet so I would push Hamer further forward behind the strikers,Shipley & O’Hare - impact subs.
I’d go with that lineup also if everyone is fit. That role behind the strikers is a tricky one to call but I’d go with Hamer too.

cov1975

I think we lack pace in the defence with Mcfadz .With McCallum and Giles on the same side would add better balance to the side.I think it would also take the pressure of Dabo who is our main threat from wide currently.I would also like to see Hammer further forward as he is probably the best passer of the ball so hopefully would feed the front 2.

Marosi
Dabo osti hyam mcCallum giles
Kelly Sheaf
Hammer
Godden Walker

SlowerThanPlatt

I think we lack pace in the defence with Mcfadz .With McCallum and Giles on the same side would add better balance to the side.I think it would also take the pressure of Dabo who is our main threat from wide currently.I would also like to see Hammer further forward as he is probably the best passer of the ball so hopefully would feed the front 2.

Marosi
Dabo osti hyam mcCallum giles
Kelly Sheaf
Hammer
Godden Walker

McCallum as a centre back? Don’t think now is the best time to be trying out players in new positions

Users who are viewing this thread