Match Thread Cardiff (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Didn’t look like beating them ? We could have scored four in the first ten minutes of the second half. Looks like we have got our defence right just the other end now, need Godden back asap

He’s referring to Birmingham and he’s right. Still it’s just given us the 4 points we spooged away before

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I hope Marosi is alright but it may be that we have to play Wilson who is unproven but who knows maybe he is a good goalie

also last like 10 minutes we just kept getting the ball and hoofing it back to them we need to do something different with the ball counter or a fast build up or anythingwhich doesn’t involve them getting the ball or scoring

Sky Blue Pete

I hope Marosi is alright but it may be that we have to play Wilson who is unproven but who knows maybe he is a good goalie

also last like 10 minutes we just kept getting the ball and hoofing it back to them we need to do something different with the ball counter or a fast build up or anythingwhich doesn’t involve them getting the ball or scoring
Comes with confidence. We didn’t concede and won the game

Brighton Sky Blue

I think it showed our naivety towards the very end, oHare got the ball and I think had a shot rather than just taking it in the corner to run down the clock.

Didn’t help we had Shipley flagging for a good 20 minutes before coming off

SBAndy

We looked a lot more fluent than against Brum, mind you last ten minutes we looked like a non league side hanging on for a lucrative FA Cup replay.

I just worry that we’ve played two awful teams and didn’t look like beating one if we played all night and only beat the other thanks to a defensive cock up.

Proof of the pudding will be Norwich.

It’s one of the reasons I’m not going all-in like some on this new formation/system. Easy to say our results have improved but fuck me, they’re two of the worst sides we’ve played. I’m still confident that even in a 352 we beat both handily - suppose we’ll never know.

It’s also rather frustrating that Max and Baka were retained and within 2 months seem to be completely out of the picture. Could have done with them moving on in the summer and bringing in a better third striker.

Brighton Sky Blue

We're not just playing hoof ball but we're not passing it around like we were last season and we're certainly not playing it about at the back as much

It certainly seems to require someone finding a killer ball to unpick the defence rather than working things into the box.

mark_ccfc

We looked a lot more fluent than against Brum, mind you last ten minutes we looked like a non league side hanging on for a lucrative FA Cup replay.

I just worry that we’ve played two awful teams and didn’t look like beating one if we played all night and only beat the other thanks to a defensive cock up.

Proof of the pudding will be Norwich.
Could be that we made them look awful by playing the right tactics? Also a lot of teams are of similar ability, the factor that makes a difference is having good strikers. Worked for us tonight because Walker is doing the job he was brought in for (i.e. backup for Godden). Everyone was moaning about Walker before the goal last night, but he can play shit for 80+ minutes of each game if he wants as long as he pops up with some goals.

curly_tom

It’s one of the reasons I’m not going all-in like some on this new formation/system. Easy to say our results have improved but fuck me, they’re two of the worst sides we’ve played. I’m still confident that even in a 352 we beat both handily - suppose we’ll never know.

It’s also rather frustrating that Max and Baka were retained and within 2 months seem to be completely out of the picture. Could have done with them moving on in the summer and bringing in a better third striker.

Not sure we can say Biamou is 'completely out of the picture' when he came on a sub in the previous match and started the 2 matches before that. Baka I agree, they'll get more chances though and will probably do ok. If we improve over the next few weeks which we all hope, they will be able to come in and have an easier time of it rather than coming into a losing team....

larry_david

Walker now looks like a player. We'll never know what goes on behind the scenes but this season more than any MR post interviews usually give insight.

Fitness wise we've been fucked and stuck playing catch up, with games twice a week and with players carrying injuries. I'm so happy that Kelly and Dabo lasted 90 mins last night. Kelly's second in a week. Throw in walker who when he started looked so off the pace it was frightening and we're getting there. We just need a squad now to catch up. Can make 5 subs to effect games and until godden and possibly Jobello are fit, I can't see any squad players effecting things going forward.

Also hate to say it but glad MR has seen the light with Allen, for whatever reason he's just been a passenger all season

shmmeee

Reading and qpr were top. Cardiff playoffs last year

Played very well vs Bristol and Watford away currently in title race

Thibk we are a good team but agree need to score more goals

Yestdays error makes up for our giveaway vs forest

Sorry meant the games we’ve played this new formation in. Frustrated exactly because I think we’ve looked OK bar a couple of silly mistakes, then we’ve gone back to square one. Hopefully it’s worth it, but I’d have expected to win the last two games playing how we were before the break. I worry we overreacted to a run of games against better teams and are being overly cautious against weak teams we need to pick up points again.

If we hold Norwich then I suppose you can argue that’s improvement, but if we get spanked those 2 dropped points against Brum are going to look very silly.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Sorry meant the games we’ve played this new formation in. Frustrated exactly because I think we’ve looked OK bar a couple of silly mistakes, then we’ve gone back to square one. Hopefully it’s worth it, but I’d have expected to win the last two games playing how we were before the break. I worry we overreacted to a run of games against better teams and are being overly cautious against weak teams we need to pick up points again.

If we hold Norwich then I suppose you can argue that’s improvement, but if we get spanked those 2 dropped points against Brum are going to look very silly.

Couldn't agree less with this. Fair enough if you're not sold by the formation but to claim improvement is only indicative on the basis that we draw with a team that we are likely to lose to regardless of what formation we play, is absurd.

shmmeee

Could be that we made them look awful by playing the right tactics? Also a lot of teams are of similar ability, the factor that makes a difference is having good strikers. Worked for us tonight because Walker is doing the job he was brought in for (i.e. backup for Godden). Everyone was moaning about Walker before the goal last night, but he can play shit for 80+ minutes of each game if he wants as long as he pops up with some goals.

Nah, our tactics didn’t make them miss sitters and play the ball out unchallenged. Cardiff were easily the worst team we’ve played this season, just dreadful. And it took an eagle eyed ref for us not to lose, like it took Juke having a mare for us not to lose vs Brum.

Like I say, jury is out until we’ve played some decent sides and picked up points we wouldn’t have.

shmmeee

Couldn't agree less with this. Fair enough if you're not sold by the formation but to claim improvement is only indicative on the basis that we draw with a team that we are likely to lose to regardless of what formation we play, is absurd.

Thats not at all what I’m saying and I think you know that.

Playing how we were I’d have expected to win the last two games. So let’s see how we do against better teams is all I’m saying.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Playing how we were I’d have expected to win the last two games. So let’s see how we do against better teams is all I’m saying.

What were you trying to say then because my inference was that you think that we haven't improved and the only metric of improvement is if we grind out more results against the better sides of the division. Which, in my opinion, is unrealistic as regardless of what formation we play we were always likely to struggle against such sides.

You simply can't say we haven't improved when we were shipping 2 goals most games - including against sub par teams such as QPR and Nottingham Forest. Granted the latter are awash with quality on paper but it's still a game I thought we should have dealt with comfortably based on the match performance. Yet individual errors got the better of us. A key catalyst of the mistakes, in my opinion, have stemmed from the 3-5-1-1/3-5-2 formation as it gives players (especially our CB's) more time on the ball - something that they're unfortunately just not at the level required to do or cope with and as such the opposition have been capitalising on this.

Our usual formation gives us attacking potency. There's no question. But, you can't deny that it also enhances the chance of individual errors. I understand the viewpoint that we are arguably are at our best when using it, but playing well is meaningless unless it translates to wins. In order for us to succeed this season we have to be adaptable, and as such we can't use the 3-5-1-1/3-5-2 formation game in game out as it makes us both predictable and vulnerable.

Tactically I also do understand why the formation was changed against Birmingham and Cardiff. Both teams have dangerous wingers who like to get the ball into the box in order for their target man to get on the end of. In my opinion, the 3-5-1-1/3-5-2 formation leaves us more exposed on the wings and therefore more vulnerable to balls coming into the box. Given our back line often seems to have at least one mistake in them the least amount of balls into the box, the better in my opinion.

Last edited:

mark_ccfc

So you don't think us dominating the midfield reduced them to hoofball? Also my comment on decent strikers, walker finished one of our 'sitters' and that made the difference.

shmmeee

So you don't think us dominating the midfield reduced them to hoofball? Also my comment on decent strikers, walker finished one of our 'sitters' and that made the difference.

I don’t think you build that team of giants if hoofball wasn’t on the menu. I doubt they’d have been playing tika taka if it wasn’t for us.

They had more possession and more passes than us anyway. More corners and only two fewer shots on target, plus what looked like a decent goal chalked off.

And as I say, the last ten minutes were backs to the wall defending just hoofing it anywhere from us. Hardly in control of the match.

clint van damme

I don’t think you build that team of giants if hoofball wasn’t on the menu. I doubt they’d have been playing tika taka if it wasn’t for us.

They had more possession and more passes than us anyway. More corners and only two fewer shots on target, plus what looked like a decent goal chalked off.

And as I say, the last ten minutes were backs to the wall defending just hoofing it anywhere from us. Hardly in control of the match.

is that a realistic expectation in this league? I doubt we'll totally control any match and every game will throw up a few scary moments.
I don't know what people expect to be honest, it's going to be a season long scrap for points.
The weird thing is most people predicted that and now seem to be taken aback that it's actually happening.

shmmeee

is that a realistic expectation in this league? I doubt we'll totally control any match and every game will throw up a few scary moments.
I don't know what people expect to be honest, it's going to be a season long scrap for points.
The weird thing is most people predicted that and now seem to be taken aback that it's actually happening.

I suppose it comes down to how far off you thought we were before the break and whether these four points are progress on that.

I didn’t think we were a million miles away and had had a tough run of games and some shocking luck.

We won’t be gifted a goal by an awful team every week.

I’m worried the full game at Norwich will be like the last ten minutes yesterday and I don’t think our back line can take that. We’ll see I guess.

clint van damme

I suppose it comes down to how far off you thought we were before the break and whether these four points are progress on that.

I didn’t think we were a million miles away and had had a tough run of games and some shocking luck.

We won’t be gifted a goal by an awful team every week.

I’m worried the full game at Norwich will be like the last ten minutes yesterday and I don’t think our back line can take that. We’ll see I guess.

Norwich are top of the league, favourites to go up and propped up by parachute money.
If it's 90 minutes backs to the wall then I don't think anyone should be surprised.

stay_up_skyblues

Norwich are top of the league, favourites to go up and propped up by parachute money.
If it's 90 minutes backs to the wall then I don't think anyone should be surprised.

Very true. Although they were held at home by Milwall and IF we were to get anything of out the game I believe it will come from playing more defensive with one up top rather than free flowing attacking. If anything, two up will probably mean a mauling.

clint van damme

Very true. Although they were held at home by Milwall and IF we were to get anything of out the game I believe it will come from playing more defensive with one up top rather than free flowing attacking. If anything, two up will probably mean a mauling.

They haven't been free scoring at home so I think you're right to suggest keeping it tight.
Which given the last two games, I'm sure was the plan

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Shipley put in a shift and a half last night including the pass of the match and a cool control and shot brilliantly saved by Smithers they were a tough physical outfit it’s about time people on here gave him a break.

That save was "exxxcellent" *taps fingertips together*

Brighton Sky Blue

Shipley put in a shift and a half last night including the pass of the match and a cool control and shot brilliantly saved by Smithers they were a tough physical outfit it’s about time people on here gave him a break.

I’m not knocking him it’s normal for him to be subbed around that time if not sooner.

Sky Blue Harry H

Despite his set pieces being under par, I thought Hamer gave another controlled tenacious performance, and I've been impressed at how he likes to get involved high up the pitch when he gets a chance. Despite missing his headed chance, I was impressed with his movement to get on the end of the cross, plus loved the sprinted effort to get back in position (rather than sulking - albeit he punched the pitch!).

fernandopartridge

Despite his set pieces being under par, I thought Hamer gave another controlled tenacious performance, and I've been impressed at how he likes to get involved high up the pitch when he gets a chance. Despite missing his headed chance, I was impressed with his movement to get on the end of the cross, plus loved the sprinted effort to get back in position (rather than sulking - albeit he punched the pitch!).
He's got a brilliant engine tbf to him, gets up and down the pitch and is no slouch either

Users who are viewing this thread