Can the Telegraph sink much lower?

Discussion in 'Coventry City General Chat' started by Grendel, Dec 21, 2016.

1. fernandopartridge

fernandopartridge Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £9,559.86
    No worries, we all make mistakes.

2. Liquid Gold

Liquid Gold Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £11,059.72
    I hope none of you have jobs, that's wasted time that could be spent hating sisu. Eaten today? You must be happy with what's going on with the club. I heard some people in Coventry are breathing normally instead of sisu on the in breath and out on the out, deflectors.

SBT, Esoterica, stupot07 and 4 others like this.
  3. eedyut

eedyut Member

Credit:
    £59.62
    Gilbert is a premium quality prick. His narcissism knows no bounds.

Try editing his wikipedia. A few months ago I inserted a few extra grandiose platitudes and revealed the plans for a Colossus of Rhodes-esque statue of him bridging the Cathedral and Holy Trinity spires. It lasted all of 40 seconds. I edited BBC Big Business Steph's to relay that her bones are from a failed Russ Abbot clone and it lasted 3 months.

4. mark_ccfc

mark_ccfc Active Member

Credit:
    £355.84
    I agree that Gilbert is a bit of a tosser, but I don't understand why you lot are moaning about the Slade article. Let's face it, the first run of bad results and you will all be queuing up to say how shit Slade is and how he should be sacked at the first opportunity.

5. NorthernWisdom

NorthernWisdom Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £3,850.93
    Not I ;) Always been of the school of thought the main issue is the carnage at the club, so have stood up for both Pressley and Mowbray long after many people wanted them OUT.

And in many ways, if Slade fails, it shows even more it's the owners' fault, given he's developed a track record of working for mad owners on a limited budget (appointing him also, incidentally, puts to bed the thought that the club would just accept relegation to save money).

Now, what surprises me a bit about this latest furore isn't the articles themselves (the overblown one I thought was quite balanced on reading it!) but the attempting to whip into a fury on twitter.

I suspect those who've responded on that medium have generated tomorrow's content, however...

6. eedyut

eedyut Member

Credit:
    £59.62
    Bang on. He also used to be a PE teacher. But one of those good ones. Our team are mostly 6th formers and venture scouts so he may feel a little nostalgia, which can only be good for his mindset.

Iancro and Captain Dart like this.
  7. skybluedan

skybluedan Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £168.50
    The ct has been shit for years , and the more shit it gets the shitter the cunts that work for it
    Don't really have no comment on turner mind you ,but have hated the paper since they stopped the pink so fuck them

8. dongonzalos

dongonzalos Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £101.00
    He has come out quite strong against the actions of our owners and clashed with Les Reid and the club's previous press officer over it.
    Also he posted on here and put a few people right quite a few times. Which I guess probably didn't go down too well.
    After that period he became a bit of a focal point in here and a hate figure for a few people.
    I guess now he is seen as representative of the CET's negative stance towards the owners. Which often comes across as negative towards the club.
    He was getting a hell of a lot of pelters on here well before his book. It's just become worse since he did the book.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  9. skybluetony176

skybluetony176 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £6,921.61
    Spot on. Currently some people are praising him for sticking with a 442 formation through his managerial career, some of those posters will also probably be the first to complain he has no plan B. When Mowbray was appointed full time I got loads of shit from certain quarters for suggesting that there's a reason he's in league one trying to rebuild his career, those certain quarters then became the ringleaders in being the first to start Mowbray out threads and I then got it for defending him. The irony of course being that if history is anything to go by the OP will be one of the first to call for him to be sacked, no doubt he'll be using some of the points in this article and no doubt he'll be a lot more scathing than this article.

10. Nick

Nick Administrator

Credit:
    £18,209.43
    It is against the club, the articles aren't against sisu.

11. Gosford Green

Gosford Green Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £75.00
    Like all low level newpapers the CT put themselves as champions of a cause and on the side of their readers at the same time as trying to frighten them all.

The CT is only a local version of the Sun or the Express, check out the CT clickbait headlines about the worst winter for 50 years and immigrant/student scare stories.

I am happier with them taking SISU to task than defending them, they have Les Reid and on here for that, 3 might be seem as unbalanced.

SBT likes this.
  12. clint van damme

clint van damme Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £6,606.33
    Yeah, but we're not there yet so call me old fashioned, but I think anyone who cares for CCFC should get behind a new manager and support him.
    I appreciate there are many people posting on this thread who couldn't give two fucks about the club.

Iancro, Astute, Nick and 1 other person like this.
  13. clint van damme

Credit:
    £6,606.33
    You're 100% correct. But he's still a tosser who's got an agenda against the club so deserves slating.
    He printed some shite yesterday and it warrants discussing.
    Doing so doesn't in anyway endorse sisu - unless you have a myopic view of the world.

Astute, Moff, stupot07 and 2 others like this.
  14. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £5,704.08
    Oh dear - he did f out anyone right about anything. You do seem to like jumped up little men who, when its mission accomplished, slink off into the night never to be seen again.

Perhaps you endorsed his professional approach when engaging with s former footballer he told him he was a hard man bought up in Canley and the footballer was saying he would excrete in his mouth.

Still you and Tony keep those shields on - we can only wonder why.

15. olderskyblue

olderskyblue Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £892.54
    Must admit, I thought it was reasonably balanced myself, although the "Merc" article was pathetic.

Seems some posters are trying to whip it into a fury on here too, yet you never see them do the same when Les Reid writes crap, just the opposite in fact. It's another case of "if it suits my agenda I will be outraged"

colin101, Iancro, Astute and 4 others like this.
  16. clint van damme

Credit:
    £6,606.33
    or in my case, I never read the Observer so have no idea what he writes!

Astute and dongonzalos like this.
  17. stupot07

stupot07 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,924.02
    This thread will go down as one of the all time greats.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

covcity4life likes this.
  18. dutchman

dutchman Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,298.82
    As indeed will my aunt Irene! :D

Otis and stupot07 like this.
  19. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,807.95
    Yup. When she takes her teeth out the pleasure zone rating quickly goes up to a Spinal Tap 11.

Good old, Four Hole Irene.

Ian1779 and Skyblueweeman like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Administrator

Credit:
    £18,209.43
    Is it whipping into a fury? If it was it would be tweeted every 5 minutes to get people going.

21. NorthernWisdom

Credit:
    £3,850.93
    tbh they both write crap (IMNSHO of course;)).

Reid's issue is the shoehorning in of the didactic diatribes, that end up detracting from whatever he actually wants to say. Gilbert is suffering from the curse of going for the cheap sensationalism... without the material to do that with, really.

Shame really, as I always thought there was a place for actual investigative work but hey, guess that's the problem when budgets get cut in the media.

22. stupot07

stupot07 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,924.02
    Tbf Reid gets a right kicking on here and on Twitter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Skyblueweeman likes this.
  23. ajsccfc

ajsccfc Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,659.25
    If people turn on a manager for doing shit that's a million miles away from criticising him before he's even picked a team.

Iancro, Moff, covcity4life and 3 others like this.
  24. Joy Division

Joy Division Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £175.65
    I've no idea WTF this is about but this sounds amazing. Can someone make sense of this for me please?

25. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £5,704.08
    A twitter spat between reda Johnson and Gilbert. Johnson saying the paper was always shite, Gilbert saying that Johnson is non league shite and always injured, Johnson saying he would shit in Gilbert's mouth, Gilbert saying he's a hard man from Canley and would say the same to johnsons face.

26. NorthernWisdom

Credit:
    £3,850.93

27. Joy Division

Joy Division Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £175.65
    I'm actually starting to like this Gilbert fella! Brilliant

Astute likes this.
  28. skybluericoh

skybluericoh Member

Credit:
    £100.00
    Thank's all for bringing my attention to this - must pop into the paper shop on the way home and buy a copy so I can see what all the fuss is about

29. blueflint

blueflint Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £102.50
    at least simons not up SISU's arse like some others have been

Iancro likes this.
  30. Nick

Nick Administrator

Credit:
    £18,209.43
    and sadly this is why it seems he can post absolute shite and this is the defence.

31. Skyblueweeman

Skyblueweeman Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,670.51
    To be fair, I never thought he had an attitude on here and actually came across quite well.

Since the suppression story came to light though, there does seem a change on direction from him.

As some have pointed out, he's not a danger to CCFC unlike TF/JS etc but he knows how shit a situation the club is in and that if we had more fans in the stadium, we'd likely have more money to spend on players etc, results get better, morale goes up etc.

To publish a piece like this is done so to continue to create scepticism amongst stay away fans when it could've been some sort or rallying call to assist the club.

The fact that it wasn't, to me, is a little strange and rightly deserves to be questioned...

Calista and hill83 like this.
  32. Nick

Nick Administrator

Credit:
    £18,209.43
    Of course it is to create scepticism, it's been like that for ages.

33. SBT

SBT Active Member

Credit:
    £126.50
    I've defended the CT from some of the more hysterical posters on here before but there's been a noticeable decline recently. The clickbait stuff is becoming more and more blatant, and Gilbert is spending more time pandering to the miserable pitchfork mob, which only makes the coverage worse.

That said, the guys on here winking and nodding about agendas aren't much less embarrassing. The CT's "agenda" is to sell papers and get clicks. And right now, when the team's doing shite, misery sells. It's a trick the Daily Mail learned decades ago.

34. covcity4life

covcity4life Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £6,099.57
    they made a mistake by taking a stance as pro council.

now they have no news links to club and have to make their own news. some will fall for it but i imagine alot of fans will start to see them as irellevent

35. Nick

Nick Administrator

Credit:
    £18,209.43
    OF course he plays up to them, it's easy pickings. As you can see from blueflint you can get away with absolutely anything if you say SISUOUT at the end.

Also way too much hassle to post on here when people will point out mistakes and not swallow any old crap.