Match Thread Burton Albion vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 17th Nov (2 Viewers)

CV22SBA

Devonshire to start with. Maybe Last Heratic. Then maybe to Burton Town and Tower Breweries.

The pubs listed as "Away" pubs by the local feds look a bit shit and out of the way.
Real Ale fan then? Went to 3 out of 4 of these last time we played Burton. Pork Pie pretty good in The Devonshire.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
not an easy game. I am not confident and fear a 1 nil loss

SkyBlueCRJ

They've got a good side so it's surprising they're not already up near the top of the table. Brayford, Quinn, and Hesketh all have experience playing in the Premier League and the likes of Cole, Allen and Templeton are real talents. Plus, they have a real leader in Kyle McFadzean.

By all accounts this will be a tough game even without the suspended Boyce and Sordell and difficult to predict. Games have come thick and fast for them, especially with their League Cup run thrown into the mix so perhaps a few tired legs on their end could sway in our advantage.

covcity4life

They've got a good side so it's surprising they're not already up near the top of the table. Brayford, Quinn, and Hesketh all have experience playing in the Premier League and the likes of Cole, Allen and Templeton are real talents. Plus, they have a real leader in Kyle McFadzean.

By all accounts this will be a tough game even without the suspended Boyce and Sordell and difficult to predict. Games have come thick and fast for them, especially with their League Cup run thrown into the mix so perhaps a few tired legs on their end could sway in our advantage.
giphy.gif

fernandopartridge

Player for player they're probably stronger than their team that went up from this league. This isn't a criticism of Beavon but he was a mainstay of that side.

SkyBlueCRJ

Player for player they're probably stronger than their team that went up from this league. This isn't a criticism of Beavon but he was a mainstay of that side.

I'd have to agree with you. At the end of the day their promotion was a bit of a surprise to all.

Like for like their squad was quite similar to that of Shrewsbury's last season. Small squad, very organised, difficult to beat, and didn't score many goals. The only difference between the two being that the Shrews were extremely lucky on the injury front. I also seem to remember Burton's goal return for the season matched a team who were relegated that season - would have to check though! Their league position shouldn't fool anyone I have a feeling they're due a late surge, hopefully it doesn't begin with us though!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gibbo

It has to be the side that has 5 wins and a draw playing 4-4-2. The doubts are

Davies's fitness - Hyam is more than capable
Bayliss's form - I'd still play him ahead of Ogogo

From what seemed to me an over-sized squad at the start of the season has been whittled down by form and fitness to a bare 12-13 players who we trust at this level. Shows how little I know
Biamou, Mason - injured
Shipley, Andreu, O'Brien, Grimmer - not up to it at this level (might include Biamou as well)
Ogogo, Bakayoko - the jury's out (if I am being kind)

To which we can add on the plus side Thompson,assuming he pays in his correct position.
It would have been a real bonus if some of the young players against Cheltenham had looked ready to move up.

steve82

Without a doubt this relegated side from the championship is far superior to the double promotion league two and one side.
Was a side built with strong core of lower league grafters and a few quick tricky flair players carried that momentum into another promotion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve82

From what seemed to me an over-sized squad at the start of the season has been whittled down by form and fitness to a bare 12-13 players who we trust at this level. Shows how little I know
Biamou, Mason - injured
Shipley, Andreu, O'Brien, Grimmer - not up to it at this level (might include Biamou as well)

To which we can add on the plus side Thompson,assuming he pays in his correct position.
It would have been a real bonus if some of the young players against Cheltenham had looked ready to move up.

Why is Jack Grimmer not?

CanadianCCFC

Biamou, Mason - injured

Sterling injury?

steve82

Not a good enough crosser and tends to lose his man - but 10/10 for enthusiasm and committment

I think there is more to come from him in this league once back to full fitness. Last year he was over used and looked jaded at times as he’d played twice the amount of minutes he’d ever played in a season.

Cannot dismiss him just yet for L1

fernandopartridge

I think there is more to come from him in this league once back to full fitness. Last year he was over used and looked jaded at times as he’d played twice the amount of minutes he’d ever played in a season.

Cannot dismiss him just yet for L1

He's already played in league 1, did OK for Shrewsbury

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Hard to predict a team for this one with injuries.

Assuming fitness I'd revert to the side that went on the good run of:
Burge
Brown
Willis
Davies (Hyam)
Sterling (Grimmer)
Hiwula
Thomas
Doyle
Bayliss
JCH
Chaplin

O'brien, Thompson, (Hyam/Grimmer), Shipley, Ogogo, Jones, Bakayoko

Think we've lost some moment over the last week with the cup games but I think we'll do OK. At least a draw, possibly another later winner.

Users who are viewing this thread