Burton Albion (Away) Match Thread (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Have we played more of the top end teams than anyone else in the top half? Got a feeling we have. That's a positive if so.

Not necessarily a positive, we tend to play well against the top teams and then fall flat against the bottom teams.

covcity4life

Can't imagine there can be any comeback. The fourth official and ref let him on. If anyone will have any comeback from it surely it's them in the firing line not the club?

Yeh you would think so.

Thank you Tony. I can sleep easy tonight now lol

Will Armstrong get back in team for next game? :)

stupot07

A good result and a solid if not spectacular performance against a good side. Some decent performances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

skybluepm2

Eakin doing all he can do defend Burge 'at least he was decisive in coming to claim the ball'. Hilarious.

rob9872

I'd rather he cocked up on a day when we won and he/we got away with it. His confidence will be shattered and he'll know he's had a mare, but we're second and he's a young kid who will get better. Enjoy the win and give him a break.

torchomatic

Wha-hey! A win at B365 as well as going second, I did cash out before the end though as I was getting a little nervous so sacrificed a little. Makes going back to work tomorrow seem a little more bearable. Now just need Wales to win - with a Welsh wife I really have little choice, but I'd support them before England any day, anyway.

torchomatic

Totally agree and how Oggy gets to keep his job despite successive new managers is also a mystery. He's coached Burge all his life, so really Oggy needs to look at his methods too. Come back Murphy.

We should all support our players. But Burge isn't good enough yet. We were lucky to get away with his mistakes today. If we are going to be serious contenders for promotion he needs to either quickly improve or we need another keeper. And noticing this doesn't mean that we don't support him.

covcity4life

Gk has never been an issue at city till last 2 years. How is it off ya fault

And torch r u not English? Why support Wales over england

skybluetony176

Great win on the road. That's us up to second. Got a feeling that the top end is going to be tight this season. I know its early days but there's no sign of daylight appearing anywhere.

Have we played more of the top end teams than anyone else in the top half? Got a feeling we have. That's a positive if so.

Actually most teams in the tip six have played the same amount of teams currently in the top half of the table. Walsall and Burton being the exception. Walsall have played two and Burton have played one. Of which the top three have played two teams each in the top six with the forth to sixth place having only played one of the other top six teams.

Doesn't really mean anything I guess at this stage. There's a long season ahead.

(edit) I only had a quick look so I may well have missed a game. Ot two.

Last edited:

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Enjoyed that result, and even managed to keep hold of chips that is queued up for all half time when we scored! Not sure how as it was quite busy on the terrace!

I agree with most posters; Burge is a concern. One day it'll cost us. If not more. He got very lucky today, especially the one Stokes had to clear.

Tudgay impressed but should have put the chance in the second half away. Hope he's kicking himself over that and makes up for it at the next opportunity.

Murphy, for all the criticism he gets, did well I thought. Times in the second half he was the furthest man forward and made something out of having no support, either earning a corner or atleast a throw in.

There is defibately work to do on our counter attack play. One chance, can't remember if it was Murphy who ran almost the length of their half with the ball, and the closest bloke to him was Reda who'd done his best to try and keep up.

Wouldn't want to be Mowbray next game with the decisions he'll need to make!

SlowerThanPlatt

I think the best team won today.
Coventry were much better at passing the ball.
I think we were exposed up front . We're in desperate need of another striker/option up there. Thiele worked very hard but achieved nothing. The jury's out on him in my opinion.
Not sure why Duffy was taken off, I thought he was our key man and best player up till then. Lucas was brilliant when he took duffs place though.
Coventry are one of the sides that should be up there at the end of the season. If we want to be there then we need to learn to pass the ball as well as they do.

skybluepm2

I think the best team won today.
Coventry were much better at passing the ball.
I think we were exposed up front . We're in desperate need of another striker/option up there. Thiele worked very hard but achieved nothing. The jury's out on him in my opinion.
Not sure why Duffy was taken off, I thought he was our key man and best player up till then. Lucas was brilliant when he took duffs place though.
Coventry are one of the sides that should be up there at the end of the season. If we want to be there then we need to learn to pass the ball as well as they do.

Always knew you were a secret Burton fan.

Sbarcher

Wha-hey! A win at B365 as well as going second, I did cash out before the end though as I was getting a little nervous so sacrificed a little. Makes going back to work tomorrow seem a little more bearable. Now just need Wales to win - with a Welsh wife I really have little choice, but I'd support them before England any day, anyway.

I cashed out at 70 mins with a City and Oxford away double. A bird in the hand and all that........

chiefdave

Totally agree and how Oggy gets to keep his job despite successive new managers is also a mystery. He's coached Burge all his life, so really Oggy needs to look at his methods too. Come back Murphy.

Wouldn't Oggy have coached Murphy, and for that matter Westwood as well? Even last season Allsop impoved considerably under Oggy's training.

The fact that so many managers have not seen a need to replace him should indicate he's doing a decent job.

Oddly when we scored from a free kick the other day in the post match interviews it was mentioned they work on free kicks in training with Oggy.

Grendel

wingy

Great day out, had the same Issue as SW88 with the chips.
Just made down the steps behind the goal to catch second goal, which I don't think would have gone In without Vincelots touch, either not having the legs or possibly wide.
Without obsessing Burges body language and movement paints the picture of a lad who can't handle the pressure of the level he's playing at,It's nerves IMO,he possibly could make It if he learns to relax.
We should pray for automatic as Wembley would be horrendous If we're relying on him.

torchomatic

Gk has never been an issue at city till last 2 years. How is it off ya fault

And torch r u not English? Why support Wales over england
I don't like international football at the best of times, it's boring. Never liked the England team much and as i said I'm married to a Welshy and i think Wales deserve to get there.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

torchomatic

Wouldn't Oggy have coached Murphy, and for that matter Westwood as well? Even last season Allsop impoved considerably under Oggy's training.

The fact that so many managers have not seen a need to replace him should indicate he's doing a decent job.

Oddly when we scored from a free kick the other day in the post match interviews it was mentioned they work on free kicks in training with Oggy.
Yes he did. They were also coached by others at different clubs. Oggy has really had sole responsibility for Burge's development and he doesn't seem to be improving for me.

Grendel

Yes he did. They were also coached by others at different clubs. Oggy has really had sole responsibility for Burge's development and he doesn't seem to be improving for me.

Hardly Oggys fault if he's not capable in the first place.

It's like blaming a striking coach for failing to get Roy O'Donovan banging them in.

Macca

To be fair the is the best football as a whole that I have seen us play for 13-14 years. Actual passing! Actual forward passing. Think we MIGHT be in the mix this year

torchomatic

Well, it is. Oggy is the coach, the person who's there to improve the goalkeepers.

Hardly Oggys fault if he's not capable in the first place.

It's like blaming a striking coach for failing to get Roy O'Donovan banging them in.

Godiva

Actually most teams in the tip six have played the same amount of teams currently in the top half of the table. Walsall and Burton being the exception. Walsall have played two and Burton have played one. Of which the top three have played two teams each in the top six with the forth to sixth place having only played one of the other top six teams.

Doesn't really mean anything I guess at this stage. There's a long season ahead.

(edit) I only had a quick look so I may well have missed a game. Ot two.

Check this table: http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-one/2015-2016/versus-top-half

SlowerThanPlatt

I'm sure I read that only Man City have picked up more points more than Burton since JFH took over and have/had the best home record.

ajsccfc

Yeah, they had some of that before the game; since November, no team has earned more total points in all four divisions than Burton, with only Man City beating them on the points per game stat too.

It was other things about their great home record and defence too which shit me up.

Users who are viewing this thread