Burge (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2477
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2477

Looks like Sunderlands number 1 is now going to be Lee Burge as McLaughlin has refused a new contract and signed for Rangers. The season just gets better

McLaughlin leaves

Liquid Gold

Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 18.42.58.png

giphy.gif

DannyThomas_1981

Don't really get the hate towards Lee Burge to be honest. Denigrating ex-players makes us look totally classless.

Burge was with us from the age of 18 and in his time here had some fantastic games; Notts County away was one of them.

As with most keepers he's going to make mistakes - look at Man Utd's keeper on £350K a week - it's a confidence position and mistakes are very costly and often lead to a lack of confidence.

Lee didn't demand to leave, he simply wasn't offered a new contract. Always did his best for the shirt as far as I could see.

Is Marosi an upgrade - for sure he is but I wish Lee all the best and hope he does great next season.

As for the general Sunderland hate - I find that equally embarrassing and pointless to be honest. Just my view.

Rich

Generally it was widely acknowledged that Burge was shit during his whole time with us.

It’s not because he’s a former sky blue that people are slagging him.

I also don’t understand the hatred towards Sunderland. Not really a rival are they.

djbooth

In my opinion Burge was ok his strength was his stop shopping but prone to mistakes that were costly.

I don’t really get this hatred for Sunderland too. They seem very passionate bunch. Unfortunately like all clubs there is an element who just like starting trouble . We have them as do all clubs.

fatso

I dont hate sunderland, I pity them.
Still banging on about something that happened before most of them were even born.
It annoys somewhat that their fans think they are still a big club. They have a big following, and a big stadium, but the fact is, that on and off the pitch they are an absolute shambles.
They are where they belong to be! Stuck in league 1.

covboy9

Burge was a serious talent but was too soft couldn’t command his box and was a pathetic line hugger on corners and set pieces

I genuinely dunno why oggy didn’t sort this, he’s a league 2 keeper at the scum

stay_up_skyblues

Decent shot shot stopper (along with almost every keeper in professional football) but prone to conceding a goal every three or so games with a howler. And that is literally throwing it in his own net or passing it straight to their player.

Also powderpuff at crosses and corners. For me he is stealing a wage as Sunderland’s number 2. I wish him well but he is a poor, poor keeper.

D

Deleted member 2477

I cant recall any other keeper making so many mistakes gifting goals as Burge in that season. As others said a decent shot stopper like most keepers but abysmal and commanding his area and the defence looked petrified with him in goal. A disaster waiting to happen

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Decent shot shot stopper (along with almost every keeper in professional football) but prone to conceding a goal every three or so games with a howler. And that is literally throwing it in his own net or passing it straight to their player.

Also powderpuff at crosses and corners. For me he is stealing a wage as Sunderland’s number 2. I wish him well but he is a poor, poor keeper.

To be honest most of that describes De Gea to me.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Don't really get the hate towards Lee Burge to be honest. Denigrating ex-players makes us look totally classless.

Burge was with us from the age of 18 and in his time here had some fantastic games; Notts County away was one of them.

As with most keepers he's going to make mistakes - look at Man Utd's keeper on £350K a week - it's a confidence position and mistakes are very costly and often lead to a lack of confidence.

Lee didn't demand to leave, he simply wasn't offered a new contract. Always did his best for the shirt as far as I could see.

Is Marosi an upgrade - for sure he is but I wish Lee all the best and hope he does great next season.

As for the general Sunderland hate - I find that equally embarrassing and pointless to be honest. Just my view.
If Lee Burge hadn’t came through the academy he’d have been hounded our years ago.
Ryan Allsop was a better keeper and our fans slaughtered him

Cov kid 55

Well said! It lacks class to kick someone when they’re down. Surely we’ve got better things to talk about?

CJ_covblaze

Tony Mowbray though Reice Charles-Cook, now released from Macclesfield town, was better than Burge.

Arsene Wenger also thought Charles-Cook was better than Dan Bentley who is probably the best keeper we’ve played against in the last few years. I felt for Burge. He gave it his all, put in some great performances that won us key games and made some mistakes that cost us some others. Some of the abuse aimed in his direction was a poor show. His record in his last season for us wasn’t bad at all in terms of goals conceded. We conceded less than one of the clubs above us, had a similar record defensively to some others and it was obvious the main problem was scoring goals. We finished with F54/54, Peterborough 71/62, Sunderland 80/47 and Pompey 83/51. If we had scored a few more Burge could’ve had another medal and promotion on his fireplace. The players up top didn’t always appear to give 100%, made a lot more mistakes, had far more terrible games and seemed to get a free ride at times.

On the whole we’ve clearly improved at the back. Marosi is a big part of that but it’s probably worth a mention that last season he conceded more goals than Burge despite playing less games. It’s how it goes sometimes. Personally I hope he does well unless he plays against us and he has a good career.

Esoterica

Arsene Wenger also thought Charles-Cook was better than Dan Bentley who is probably the best keeper we’ve played against in the last few years. I felt for Burge. He gave it his all, put in some great performances that won us key games and made some mistakes that cost us some others. Some of the abuse aimed in his direction was a poor show. His record in his last season for us wasn’t bad at all in terms of goals conceded. We conceded less than one of the clubs above us, had a similar record defensively to some others and it was obvious the main problem was scoring goals. We finished with F54/54, Peterborough 71/62, Sunderland 80/47 and Pompey 83/51. If we had scored a few more Burge could’ve had another medal and promotion on his fireplace. The players up top didn’t always appear to give 100%, made a lot more mistakes, had far more terrible games and seemed to get a free ride at times.

On the whole we’ve clearly improved at the back. Marosi is a big part of that but it’s probably worth a mention that last season he conceded more goals than Burge despite playing less games. It’s how it goes sometimes. Personally I hope he does well unless he plays against us and he has a good career.
In 2019/2020 Marosi kept 14 clean sheets in 34 games, conceding 30 goals at 0.88 goals conceded per game.
In 2018/2019 Burge kept 9 clean sheets in 44 games*, conceding 54 goals at 1.23 goals conceded per game.

*excluded Stockdale's 2 games/2 clean sheets.

Last edited:

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
TBH, this comment sums it up quite well -
'never sign a keeper cos he makes world class saves four times a season, sign a keeper that doesn’t fuck up more than four times a season'

Liquid Gold

The constant need to lick the arse of a shit goalkeeper was why he was such a talking point when he was here and why he’s still such a talking point now.
We’ve hugely upgraded at the position and people still want to pretend like his regular calamities weren’t a major problem.

CJ_covblaze

In 2019/2020 Marosi kept 14 clean sheets in 34 games, conceding 30 goals at 0.88 goals conceded per game.
In 2018/2019 Burge kept 9 clean sheets in 44 games*, conceding 54 goals at 1.23 goals conceded per game.

*excluded Stockdale's 2 games/2 clean sheets.

Sorry I should’ve made it clearer. I meant last season as in 18/19.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Premier League, Europa League, FA cup winning David De Gea? The same David De Gea that has been in the PFA Team of the year 5 times?

Yep. He pushes shots straight back out into open play, gets bullied on free kicks and corners under pressure and isn't averse to the odd weak wrist palm-it-into-the-back-of the-net. Put him in a struggling team that gives the opposition chances and they'd be conceding huge amounts.

Don't get me wrong - he can be a tremendous shot-stopper but he's got some very weak areas to his game that have never truly been exploited because he's always played for good/decent teams.

Users who are viewing this thread