Burge (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2477
  • Start date

Dions Dong

Not the biggest Burge fan by any means, always prone to the odd clanger and I felt his lack of confidence definitely impacted the defence.

HOWEVER in the two games that mattered (at Wembley) I couldn’t fault him and he was a big part in our success.

Can’t fault the move to Sunderland either , I wish him well in his career....never one for giving grief to ex players, it is what it is and we move on

Irish Sky Blue

Yep. He pushes shots straight back out into open play, gets bullied on free kicks and corners under pressure and isn't averse to the odd weak wrist palm-it-into-the-back-of the-net. Put him in a struggling team that gives the opposition chances and they'd be conceding huge amounts.

Don't get me wrong - he can be a tremendous shot-stopper but he's got some very weak areas to his game that have never truly been exploited because he's always played for good/decent teams.
One thing that the team relegated to League Two were not was good. (although with a proper manager at the end of that season, Robins, that changed). I don't remember Burge being any worse than anyone else under Venus or Slade. He was also in the League Two Team of the Year, voted for by fellow footballers who should know something. He played a big part in winning the Checkatrade (saves in the final) and winning promotion, particularly in the away leg in Nottingham. Is he as good as Marosi? No, but that isn't the issue. League Two maybe is his level. When we were there he was one of the players who helped us win promotion.He came across as a decent bloke (He was in a Q and A session at a Trust forum) . He always seemed as though he was committed to the team and always gave of his best. He has gone now, why the need to heap abuse on him?

Adge

By design, goalkeepers are always going to be open to criticism. Lee Burge was a servant to Coventry City The abuse some City fans have given him is shameful. We are Coventry City. Show some class. Have some respect. Get a fucking grip.
I never get this “good servant” crap. Coventry City was a good servant to Burge for his multiple cock ups that cost us on multiple occasions. The Worcester debacle (his debut I think) was a sign of things to come and when a keeper is acquired on loan (Alsopp) to replace you in the starting line up, that tells you all you need to know.
Sunderland will not be challenging for the Auto places in L1 if he is the No 1 keeper there next season.

Walsgrave

I found this old gem from when he played in the youth team. This was back in August 2011, when he dropped this clanger. He was also an under-19 (not an under 18), because back then youth teams could field up to under 19 players in their youth teams. So the writing really was on the wall.
Having said that, on his day, he was an outstanding shot stopper. The technical side of footwork and concentration clearly need work, however.

Last edited:

fatso

With Burge in goal, I used to shit myself every time a ball came into the box, (and so did the back four) I no longer feel I have to do that.
And let's not even get started on Burge's distribution, it was absolutely woeful.
Burge got lucky here (imho) because our budget meant we couldnt invest in a quality replacement, so his regular fuck ups got overlooked.
I'd be very surprised if he's no1 at Sunderland next year.

Nick

Administrator
I found this old gem from when he played in the youth team. This was back in August 2011, when he dropped this clanger. He was also an under-19 (not an under 18), because back then youth teams could field up to under 19 players in their youth teams. So the writing really was on the wall.
Having said that, on his day, he was an outstanding shot stopper. The technical side of footwork and concentration clearly need work, however.

Thats how he rolls.

Harries-Clarke playing?

Blind-Faith

This literally sums the bloke up, couldn’t catch a cold!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Premier League, Europa League, FA cup winning David De Gea? The same David De Gea that has been in the PFA Team of the year 5 times?

Yep. He pushes shots straight back out into open play, gets bullied on free kicks and corners under pressure and isn't averse to the odd weak wrist palm-it-into-the-back-of the-net. Put him in a struggling team that gives the opposition chances and they'd be conceding huge amounts.

Don't get me wrong - he can be a tremendous shot-stopper but he's got some very weak areas to his game that have never truly been exploited because he's always played for good/decent teams.

BUMP

Terry Gibson's perm

Burge is a good shot stopper but other parts of his game are very poor and his shocking distribution was holding us back, look at the difference when Stockdale came in accurate and speedy distribution helped us. Burge couldn’t keep it on the island.

Evo1883

For me de gea has passed his peak a bit earlier than usual for a keeper however there is no denying he was one of the world's best keepers for several years..

Burge was sloppy quite alot tbh and was never even one of the best keepers in the Midlands let alone the world

Last edited:

Evo1883

The constant need to lick the arse of a shit goalkeeper was why he was such a talking point when he was here and why he’s still such a talking point now.
We’ve hugely upgraded at the position and people still want to pretend like his regular calamities weren’t a major problem.

Agreed its highly embarrassing, he was always a problem... His annual 5 good saves never took away from that fact

Hobo

I cant recall any other keeper making so many mistakes gifting goals as Burge in that season. As others said a decent shot stopper like most keepers but abysmal and commanding his area and the defence looked petrified with him in goal. A disaster waiting to happen

Yes but there was some shit defending in front of him as well. It wasnt a case of just one part of the jigsaw missing......

Hobo

To be fair it’s clearly not Burge as he’d have dropped his phone while typing and half the message would never have been typed

I recall your typing wasn't much better in a wine bar. I think you blamed your contact lenses lol.

Users who are viewing this thread