Burge, Willis and Davies (2 Viewers)

steve82

Good no nonsense defender that Davies is, would be a loss, but not massive as we are all on tender hooks at times as hes likely to do something very stupid and get sent off! like Play off first leg, subsequent 3 game ban! that could have really hurt us but Hyam did fabulous job to cover and I think rightly deserves to be first choice.

Willis I think is very settled here and is probably on a decent contract no doubt. so is replaceable on the wages front but obviously hope he stays and we give him a improved contract for the championship!

As others have said id be disappointed if Burge decided to leave as we havnt fully reaped the rewards of investing so much time in him.

Apart from the stadium situation they should be looking that on the pitch we are moving forward, why wouldn't you want to be part of the journey.

I like Davies but I can see his limitations in his game, he’s a quality L2 defender and a valued L1 player too who in reality for 26 is very inexperienced arriving relatively late in the professional game and for 26 people don’t expect his naivety at times or non league dark arts that only sky picked up in reality. Dom Hyam is in the similar mould and progressing well in his development thankfully.

Willis I can see easily weighing up his options as he will have offers from relegated championship sides and ambitious L1 clubs who might have more clout than us.

Burge is still young for a keeper and probably falls into the same bracket as Willis for summer activity but might be both players opportunity to find a good financial moves to set themselves up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

larry_david

Bullshit, fans gave Burge a shedload of abuse and has never been classed as good enough. He improved but let’s face it his understudy is nowhere near good enough either

I meant we as a club. Can't imagine any of them give a shit what fans say or do. Most fans these days boo a team at ht if it's a draw

letsallsingtogether

any PLAYER in any position making mistakes will, but the stick he has taken has been over and above... I see goalies making mistakes week in week out , dont hear half the winging form the crowd that Burge gets
Must be at least 4 threads on here whinging about him and how he is not good enough.
Beginning of the season people crying that he needed replacing.

Funny how all our managers while he's been here thought he's been good enough!
Good old Oggie trained him well.

Nick

Administrator
Burge told my mates 7 year old son at the JSB party that he's going nowhere - I think to much of Burge to believe he'd lie to a 7 year old!!

If not, I know where he lives / lived so you can go and egg his car.

giphy.gif

torchomatic

Not that bothered about any of them going. Burge has improved but he's still a heartbeat away from a fuck up. Willis is good but not irreplaceable as some seem to think. Like Davies he is injured too often.

Players come, players go.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I think Hyam's recent form has brought on a few throwaway comments about Davies.

He, for me, would be a massive loss.

Any of them leaving will be a massive loss though to be honest, but I think cashing in now would be better than them leaving for nothing in the summer. We could then really stengthen with the money and go for it next year.

First pick would be to lose none of them though.

I agree, all three would be a big loss, in my mind. All three have come on leaps and bounds in the last 18 months and it looks like they learnt a lot from being in L2 last year.

I'd rather Willis stay but if he was to leave in January for a fee (rather than for nothing in the summer) then I'd wish him all the best as he's been a good servant for the club and didn't jump ship or say I'm too good for League 2, like dross such as Turnbull.

Burge looks like a solid League 1 keeper this season and he's made the step back up fantastically. Liverpool spent £60 million on Allison and Chelsea spent £70 million on their keeper and they've still both made mistakes this season.... so anyone having a go or not expecting a developing League 1 keeper to ever make a mistake, needs a reality check.

SkyBlueCRJ

Not that bothered about any of them going. Burge has improved but he's still a heartbeat away from a fuck up. Willis is good but not irreplaceable as some seem to think. Like Davies he is injured too often.

My thoughts exactly. We can try and bend our minds trying to figure out who might stay/leave and their reasons for doing so but at the end of the day no player in our current squad is irreplaceable. If they go they will be replaced. I’d rather we kept all three but this is football and there is physically zero point dwelling on their departures for longer than necessary as a high squad turnover is a regularity at our level in the modern game. This is what I like most about MR as he seems to have the exact same attitude of ‘if they go, they go’. Albeit it’s less than ideal that we’ve let all their contracts run down but that’s more down to the players than the club as I’m sure there’s been discussions since promotion.

The sooner all three make the decision the better to be honest because at least then MR and his backroom staff can have plenty of time to identify replacements.

Esoterica

We will miss Willis more than any other player at the club. And he has taken plenty of s*** on here. Most of it unfairly may I add.
Haven't seen Willis taking any shit on here for a couple of years. I did start a thread last year on one particular area I'd like to see him improve but it was largely taken as a criticism when it really wasn't meant that way - I could go through our whole team and do the same and am a firm believer in leaving no stone unturned in maximising people's ability. He is, I would say, our most consistent performer over the last 18 months and has matured without the burden of the captain's armband.
I've wondered if he has lost a yard of pace recently, possibly with all the niggles he's had over his career so far, but maybe that's also just the step up in league too as L1 seems quicker in general than L2. Either way that still leaves him a yard quicker than most players, just not 2 yards quicker like he used to be and I think other areas of his game have adapted e.g. his short passing has improved a lot and he doesn't dive in like he used to when he was younger.
I think he'd be very difficult to replace for free in terms of like for like attributes.

Sky Blue Pete

Haven't seen Willis taking any shit on here for a couple of years. I did start a thread last year on one particular area I'd like to see him improve but it was largely taken as a criticism when it really wasn't meant that way - I could go through our whole team and do the same and am a firm believer in leaving no stone unturned in maximising people's ability. He is, I would say, our most consistent performer over the last 18 months and has matured without the burden of the captain's armband.
I've wondered if he has lost a yard of pace recently, possibly with all the niggles he's had over his career so far, but maybe that's also just the step up in league too as L1 seems quicker in general than L2. Either way that still leaves him a yard quicker than most players, just not 2 yards quicker like he used to be and I think other areas of his game have adapted e.g. his short passing has improved a lot and he doesn't dive in like he used to when he was younger.
I think he'd be very difficult to replace for free in terms of like for like attributes.
I remember you saying he lost his player in the box and i think that’s something he’s really improved on

Old Warwickshire lad

Well if Willis goes to a championship club, we will find out just how good he is. I personally think in a good side and an experienced lump of a centre half next to him, he will be exceptional.

torchomatic

Bit harsh. Well on course for his 3rd consecutive season of 40+ matches. 200 first team matches at the age of 24. Hyam is 23 and has less than half of that.

Fair point. Still don't mind if he chooses to leave . He's not the first and won't be the last player who has wanted to go. We survived losing players before so not the end of the world. If he wants off then we should let him and get someone who wants to play for Coventry City.

letsallsingtogether

Edit: I'm not telling LAST where he lives as he will go and draw lovehearts on his front door and post red roses through the letter box.

giphy.gif
Fuck me I had hair and tash like that in the late 70's :)

letsallsingtogether

You right none are irreplaceable only problem is what with.
As for Burge fucking up, name me one goalkeeper who hasn't or who doesn't ?

SkyBlueCRJ

Well if Willis goes to a championship club, we will find out just how good he is. I personally think in a good side and an experienced lump of a centre half next to him, he will be exceptional.

He has all the attributes to do well in the Championship and he certainly deserves a club to take a chance on him. How well he’d do is another matter, as I wouldn’t quite go as far to say he’d be exceptional but I think he’d do a good job. I do fear his height could potentially be exposed at that level though even with a lump beside him. But then again he’s technically and physically sound to make up for it so it’s one of those where you’d have to wait and see to find out.

torchomatic

You right none are irreplaceable only problem is what with.
As for Burge fucking up, name me one goalkeeper who hasn't or who doesn't ?

I can't, they all do. Burge does it more than most though. Walsall being a good example recently.

If he or the others stay then fine but if they don't they'll be replaced as players are.

No breast beating from me.

Hobo

You get a thick skin. If you haven’t find a new profession

I don’t btw disagree either if a beer bellied slob yelled at Shipley for being useless and Shipley shouted back come and try yourself you fat bastard.

If anyone thinks the terraces are bad go to a cricket match in Australia and see the vilification. The difference is they give it back and don’t care. Actually some of the worst abuse I’ve ever seen was at cricket matches in Yorkshire.

You seem to be the common denominator in the last paragraph?

christonabike

Edit: I'm not telling LAST where he lives as he will go and draw lovehearts on his front door and post red roses through the letter box.

giphy.gif
As long as he doesn't put his Hampton through the letterbox!:woot:

Covstu

I can't, they all do. Burge does it more than most though. Walsall being a good example recently.

If he or the others stay then fine but if they don't they'll be replaced as players are.

No breast beating from me.
I think Willis is the only potential championship player out of the three but I am sure there are clubs in our league that can probably offer more cash than we can. I would rather know now so we can start putting plans into place rather than this saga goes on all through the rest of the season causing issues in the team with these three going window shopping and finding out that they are no better off.

higgs

All good solid league one players would prefer to keep all 3 if the agents stop playing silly beggars

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread