Brexit Benefits (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I see France is threatening to cut the of electricity supplies unless we implement brexit. I’ll say that again. Unless we implement brexit.

I still find it amazing that in this day and age we're so heavily reliant on other nations for our power. Gas pipelines, electricity.

We've got huge swathes of coastline and it's incredibly wet and windy a lot of the time so surely we've got everything going for us to be energy self-sufficient using renewable sources. We could lead the world in making it a better place.

Instead we're cutting funding/tax breaks for renewables and spending money on stuff like nuclear.

It's utter madness.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I still find it amazing that in this day and age we're so heavily reliant on other nations for our power. Gas pipelines, electricity.

We've got huge swathes of coastline and it's incredibly wet and windy a lot of the time so surely we've got everything going for us to be energy self-sufficient using renewable sources. We could lead the world in making it a better place.

Instead we're cutting funding/tax breaks for renewables and spending money on stuff like nuclear.

It's utter madness.

We're not heavily reliant on other nations......typically we import less than 5%.....and that often drops to zero when conditions for renewables are more favourable.

Last year was the first year in UK history that renemables generation was greater than fossil fuels.

In the last 24 hours real time wind power accounted for close to 40% of total generation......considerably more than fossil fuels combined.....with less than 2% imported from the french interconnector....

Incidentally, the french energy situation is going to get extremely bleak in the coming years as they so very over-reliant on old technology nuclear plants that will all have to be closed down in the next decade.......with the crippling financial costs that that entails.....c'est la vie

Marty

It's utter madness.

We have 5 of the top 10 largest offshore wind farms in the world. With more expansion on the way.

duffer

We're not heavily reliant on other nations......typically we import less than 5%.....and that often drops to zero when conditions for renewables are more favourable.

Last year was the first year in UK history that renemables generation was greater than fossil fuels.

In the last 24 hours real time wind power accounted for close to 40% of total generation......considerably more than fossil fuels combined.....with less than 2% imported from the french interconnector....

Incidentally, the french energy situation is going to get extremely bleak in the coming years as they so very over-reliant on old technology nuclear plants that will all have to be closed down in the next decade.......with the crippling financial costs that that entails.....c'est la vie

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the stats I've read put our dependency on energy imports at around 35%...

Are you using a different source, perhaps?

skybluetony176

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the stats I've read put our dependency on energy imports at around 35%...

About 6% of our consumption over a year comes through France. It’s not just about availability though. Part of the the recent hike in the cost of electricity was down to a fire at one end of the cable that links the french and uk grids. It’s estimated that this fire on its own interrupted the supply enough to hike electricity costs up 19%. If they turn it off that’s a permanent hike until it’s turned back on again.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But where do many of the resources such as gas come from that we burn to create the energy? We might generate the electricity here but we can't do that without the raw materials. A significant amount of those raw materials are imported so we rely on them for that.
We're spending over £20bn on a new nuclear reactor. And the fuel to run them will need to be imported.
We removed subsidies and grants for home insulation, solar panels etc.

Admittedly recently they have reintroduced subsidies for wind and solar energy after removing them a few years ago.

It's getting better, but we could and should be much further down the line than we are.

skybluetony176

It's utter madness.
Yeah it’s silly. We’re apparently the windiest county in Europe with one of the longest coastlines, I think we’re about fifth in Europe for renewables which although good it could be a lot better given our natural resources and natural ability of a long coastline to utilise that.

skybluetony176

But where do many of the resources such as gas come from that we burn to create the energy? We might generate the electricity here but we can't do that without the raw materials. A significant amount of those raw materials are imported so we rely on them for that.
We're spending over £20bn on a new nuclear reactor. And the fuel to run them will need to be imported.
We removed subsidies and grants for home insulation, solar panels etc.

Admittedly recently they have reintroduced subsidies for wind and solar energy after removing them a few years ago.

It's getting better, but we could and should be much further down the line than we are.
We also left Europe’s internal energy market when we left the EU. That wasn’t a requirement of brexit it was an ill informed political decision by our government. What that does mean is that if energy is low in the EIM’s member countries whether that is gas or electricity EIM’s members have to turn the tap of to non EIM members, that’s us, that also includes gas from Norway, which fuels the 30 odd gas powered power stations we still rely on.

duffer

About 6% of our consumption over a year comes through France. It’s not just about availability though. Part of the the recent hike in the cost of electricity was down to a fire at one end of the cable that links the french and uk grids. It’s estimated that this fire on its own interrupted the supply enough to hike electricity costs up 19%. If they turn it off that’s a permanent hike until it’s turned back on again.

That's absolutely fair enough, but if our total energy imports are more than a third of what we use, then I think we could justifiably be regarded as 'heavily reliant' on them. That's the point I was trying to clarify...

There's no argument from me about the need to increase renewable energy, it's probably the most important single thing in our lifetimes (well that and promotion to the Prem, of course). :)

That burden though, needs to be shared equitably amongst the richest and poorest in society. If you're choosing to heat or eat, which is a growing reality for many, then maybe that balance is wrong.

I'm sure bungling Boris can sort it though, with a bit of Latin and some cheerful boosterism - no doubt it's the sort of thing that gives him sleepless nights...

jimmyhillsfanclub

Not so much a differnt source, but talking about slightly differnt things I think.....I was referring to our electrcity imports whereas you are correct in that about 35% of al our primary fuel sources are imported....

However I'd hazard a guess that most countries import more of their primary fuel sources than we do.......

France, (as the go to current example) generates well over 70% of its mix via nuclear alone.....for which all fuel is imported.....

...so as others have said, we could better, but comparatively we're doing OK....

Evo1883

Haha! Priceless.

Despite the fact that this whole (Christmas will be cancelled ) thing is a massive reach , I actually said to my old man yesterday, that i couldn't believe there were some people out there who were saying things like "maybe Christmas will be for the family again" or "it's not about what you have its about family and you will enjoy it anyway "

As if people would be happy to go back to 1955 getting oranges and a bag of nuts in a stocking .

Not happening

clint van damme

Despite the fact that this whole (Christmas will be cancelled ) thing is a massive reach , I actually said to my old man yesterday, that i couldn't believe there were some people out there who were saying things like "maybe Christmas will be for the family again" or "it's not about what you have its about family and you will enjoy it anyway "

As if people would be happy to go back to 1955 getting oranges and a bag of nuts in a stocking .

Not happening

Of course it won't be 'cancelled but its hilarious thar people are trying to put a positive spin on shortages while simultaneously claiming they're nothing to do with brexit.

Evo1883

Of course it won't be 'cancelled but its hilarious thar people are trying to put a positive spin on shortages while simultaneously claiming they're nothing to do with brexit.

There's no positives for my kids in a modern age , in a Christmas that is foodless and presentless , despite the fact it won't happen I think some people need to understand what they are happy to accept 🤣

clint van damme

There's no positives for my kids in a modern age , in a Christmas that is foodless and presentless , despite the fact it won't happen I think some people need to understand what they are happy to accept 🤣

Talking of kids,how are they with the covid?

Evo1883

Talking of kids,how are they with the covid?

Well so far it's just my eldest , she's ok just a blocked nose now , no temperature or headache anymore .

It's weird because the day she was ill I was cuddling her , gave her a few kisses on the forhead during the day and 1 on the lip , then since we've found out she's positive I've been tested daily and still negative , the jab must be quite solid tbh , either that or I've had covid and didn't know

It's the 4th day since symptoms started

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Not happening
Each year I ask for no presents because I don’t see why it’s become almost compulsory to spend lots of money on things that’ll be forgotten about after a week. Genuinely just being able to be with all the family at once is ok for me

Evo1883

Each year I ask for no presents because I don’t see why it’s become almost compulsory to spend lots of money on things that’ll be forgotten about after a week. Genuinely just being able to be with all the family at once is ok for me

Yea, me and the missus don't get anything really , but the kids are quite modest with their wishlist , we enjoy getting them what they ask for .

When I say modest it's very modest usually

Tommo1993

I hate Christmas decorations. The over the top amount of food that ALWAYS goes to waste. And all the general fuss for one day.

Users who are viewing this thread