Brexit Benefits (1 Viewer)

Astute

After Brexit the visa rules changed and HGV drivers were not classed as high skilled workers (despite them now saying its a high skill, high wage job) and so thousands of them could not/have not returned.

And who can blame them with the way they've been treated.
But who got kicked out?

Astute

Not doing this shit with you again 😴
You stated they got kicked out.

Wasn't a truthful statement. Yet it is me again. As it always is when I point out a lie and somebody wants to lie their way out of a lie.

It is shite for us all. But nobody has been kicked out from any country unless they have not kept to the rules. My wife has only just finally managed to get her rendezvous. Those that have come to the UK have had it easy to be able to stay. All this crap has been bad for lots of Brits.

Evo1883

Il answer it, 20,000 drivers have left the UK, by their own accord according to the RHA

We would still be 80,000 drivers short without them .
So brexit whilst being a reason , isn't the only reason .
We've been through the reasons many times on here - drivers hours - pay - conditions etc .. it also why the whole of Europe have a problem with driver shortages , Poland have a larger shortage than the UK and yet is nowhere near our size .

The Job Is quite simply ...SHIT and doesn't satisfy the modern family man anymore

PVA

If you walk out of your house and your wife doesn't let you back in have you left or have you been kicked out?

Either way you're not coming back in whether you want to or not, because someone (the UK/your wife) has decided they don't want you anymore.

Now they're begging you to come back.

Evo1883

If you walk out of your house and your wife doesn't let you back in have you left or have you been kicked out?

Either way you're not coming back in whether you want to or not, because someone (the UK/your wife) has decided they don't want you anymore.

Mate I can go to many places and leave , and they won't let me back in .. because i left .. football matches ironically for starters

Astute

If you leave without being kicked out you have not been kicked out.

PVA

Mate I can go to many places and leave , and they won't let me back in .. because i left .. football matches ironically for starters

Because the football match is finished.

HGV driving hasn't finished, hence why we really need them to come back.

Evo1883

As a driver myself , I can give you a million and 1 reasons why there are shortages ..

Yea let's work 15 hours and sleep in a Cab 300 miles from home whilst my family are all warm and watching TV having a great time without me ..

Do you know the amount of drivers who I speak to that say " I didn't get to watch my kids growing up and I regret that "

The driver shortages around the globe have been creeping up for YEARS , whilst haulage companies abuse their workers, push their legal rights to the limit and expect them to give an extra mile all whilst the world around them is changing and the job is becoming less and less appealing to the younger generation coming through.

Brexit has merely showed the industry up for what it is ... shite

Evo1883

Because the football match is finished.

HGV driving hasn't finished, hence why we really need them to come back.

I can leave after 20 minutes out of frustration and I won't get back in .. that's not the point though really, they left , they weren't kicked out

PVA

That's fair.

Kicked out was just an expression. Maybe an exaggerated one.

Fact stands that Brexit means they can't come back and now we're undoing Brexit legislation to try and get them back.

Evo1883

That's fair.

Fact stands that Brexit means they can't come back and now we're undoing Brexit legislation to try and get them back.

To be fair this place is rubbing off on me too , I said the other day that protesters were making normal peoples lives hell , and Pete pulled me up on it and reminded me that Syria and Lebanon were hell ... so its a must that we say what we mean 😄

I've just done the same to you ffs

I know what you meant I just couldn't find it in me to not be an awkward twat

hill83

E4BYCm4VUAQdiNm.jpg

CCFCSteve

But they're not allowed back in.

If it's not Brexit related then why are we literally undoing Brexit legislation to ease the problem?

I think everyone acknowledges it’s exacerbated the problem but as Evo says it’s not the cause. Even the comments about those EU drivers leaving ‘because of Brexit’ aren’t necessarily accurate. How many of those returned him because of Covid and then decided to work nearer their families, move into different occupations etc etc

In addition to historically poor pay and conditions, the main issue from what I’ve heard and read is the amount of tests that were cancelled and the huge backlog of licenses (new and renewal) at the DVLA which dwarfs the EU employees returning

I can’t believe the government hasn’t thrown more people at DVLA to clear this ?!

ps encouraging non U.K. workers (from wherever in the world) to come and work here in sectors where there’s staff shortages is exactly what an independent nation should be doing.

Evo1883

I think everyone acknowledges it’s exacerbated the problem but as Evo says it’s not the cause. Even the comments about those EU drivers leaving ‘because of Brexit’ aren’t necessarily accurate. How many of those returned him because of Covid and then decided to work nearer their families, move into different occupations etc etc

In addition to historically poor pay and conditions, the main issue from what I’ve heard and read is the amount of tests that were cancelled and the huge backlog of licenses (new and renewal) at the DVLA which dwarfs the EU employees returning

I can’t believe the government hasn’t thrown more people at DVLA to clear this ?!

DVLA are a massive issue , as was pointed out again in the news yesterday they are miles behind on applications and renewals

Astute

That's fair.

What else do you expect from a Tory?

Can see this kind of crap going on for years and eventually some kind of being joined up with the EU in everything but name.

Reactions: PVA

hill83

ps encouraging non U.K. workers (from wherever in the world) to come and work here in sectors where there’s staff shortages is exactly what an independent nation should be doing.

The government closed all the local DVLA offices didn’t they?

CCFCSteve

We don't have enough people to cover many jobs so where would they come from?

Sure they could get some temps in and could also easily redirect some from other parts of DVLA. They employ over 6k people FFS 🤷‍♂️. This is the stuff that’s pissing me off with the government and some civil service, they can’t seem to just get a grip of issues and sort them out

I was speaking to a guy who owns a collections firm yesterday and he said he has his pick of new credit controllers. There’s loads available. So theres not shortages in every job in every sector. Just a lot of poor pay/condition sectors by the looks of it

clint van damme

You can't believe the government haven't thrown resources at a problem?
Where have you been for the last 10 years?

Reactions: COV

jimmyhillsfanclub

An interesting side-note....The UK received over 5.6 million applications from EU citizens to continue living here post brexit.....

Thats over 2 million more than the official estimate of the total who were actually living here... over 2 million more than we knew about.....and that doesn't even include the unknown thousands/millions that didn't apply for whatever reason.....

...interesting eh.

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

We're fed up of foreigners coming here and taking our jobs!

Please come here and take our jobs, please!!

This is as close to an admission as we're going to get from the government that Brexit has been a disaster.

The arrogance that they believe lots will want to come on those terms, especially given this country's attitude.

CCFCSteve

You can't believe the government haven't thrown resources at a problem?
Where have you been for the last 10 years?

This is Boris now mate, he’s spunking cash everywhere so sure he can find a few quid to get the 50k HGV licences through a bit quicker (i would’ve thought the optics of problems over Xmas aren’t worth the risk of not sorting it)

Users who are viewing this thread