Brainstorm (1 Viewer)

Samo

Perhaps we could recruit the Legion to invade a high profile game which would likely to be televised, Grendel fresh with his or her razor cut, stay press and doc martins could lead the lads straight from their stronghold at the Wheatsheaf. Don't get too many old bill at the rugby and no football banning orders either.

Yeah, let's get 'The Gentleman' on the case!

dongonzalos

Encourage the club to agree to ditch the legal action if negotiations are re entered and a deal agreed.
The moment it is signed the legal action is dropped.
The legal action is SISU not CCFC.
Call Wasps out, either we get the deal that saves the future of the club or we expose them as having no intention to keep us there. Then we definitely know where we stand.
All we have to do is offer up the bulls**t legal action, that is no advantage to CCFC anyway.
Use every means possible to pressurise both sides to continue the talks on this basis.
In the meantime pack the Ricoh. It will show our true value and if in the unlikely circumstances we build our own stadium we get a proper starting capacity.

ccfcway

Encourage the club to agree to ditch the legal action if negotiations are re entered and a deal agreed.
The moment it is signed the legal action is dropped.
The legal action is SISU not CCFC.
Call Wasps out, either we get the deal that saves the future of the club or we expose them as having no intention to keep us there. Then we definitely know where we stand.
All we have to do is offer up the bulls**t legal action, that is no advantage to CCFC anyway.
Use every means possible to pressurise both sides to continue the talks on this basis.
In the meantime pack the Ricoh. It will show our true value and if in the unlikely circumstances we build our own stadium we get a proper starting capacity.

sadly, the 1st bit isn't going to happen

Ian1779

Yes agree. We have people being slaughtered on here for going to watch Wasps play and now we are saying we should all go?

I would never attend a Wasps game.

I don't want to watch them either - but to make a statement one time...

We could do a Poznan and sing our songs without actually watching the game.

Gazolba

We should all buy some crafting clay and make miniature dolls in the shape of Rugby players. Then we should paint the dolls in Wasps colours. Then during the next Wasps home game, we should all stick pins in the dolls. If Wasps lose the game, we do the same thing during the next game. If Wasps win, well then does anyone have a plan B?

dongonzalos

I have not been very involved in the politics and business side and a lot of this has passed me by. Is anybody able to summarise exactly what has happened and what our grievance is please. If someone was able to do a fairly simple summary of events I'd really appreciate it.

We tried to agree a long term rental with Wasps, however Wasps are saying they can't do the long term deal whilst the legal action is going on.
People perceive this a bull as they maintain the legal action doesn't affect Wasps and they actually just want us out as they see us as a threat and competition.
Separately until recently we were saying we were going to build our own stadium and our own training and academy facility.
Then stuff came out about potentially an Olympic swimming pool been put in the academy facility when our deal expires.
Then we stated that actually do want to stay at the academy long term.
Then the other day it was announced it is getting sold to Wasps as a training facility for 7 million.
Wasps came out and offered the academy a poor option that Wasps maintain will allow us to keep our academy status.
However many say it actually doesn't do that at all. They also say she shows Wasps want us out.
CCFC now say they have the Butts Park Arena and another site lined up as back up options to build our own stadium.
However it has been about 3-4 years now with us threatening to build our own stadium with very little progress been made. So we hope that that isn't just a bluff.
The next legal action is a Judicial Review where SISU claim the selling of ACL to Wasps was too cheap and not what would have happened in normal private industry.
Wasps have been making out they are the good guy and want us working with them long term but actions the last few days may suggest otherwise.

Last edited:

Warwickhunt

I know we've had some threads around the issue but I think we need to get some ideas out on the table and decide what actions can actually be taken.

The problem is the fragmentation of the fanbase. Blame apportionment and re-writing of history is far from helpful. My belief always has been that Wasps have wanted a cheap stadium for many years and Richardson identified this opportunity and it's why he purchased wasps. The subsequent events have been all conduits to wasps and the councils desire to bring this club here. There see wasps fans who equally concur with this viewpoint.

I believe now wasps want the club gone. I believe that this City of Rugby strategy is ultimately an attempt to get both union and league at the ground. Wasps I'm afraid have huge delusions of grandure. They believe wasps will be some sort of global brand and I'm sure the only other club they will ever integrate will be the rugby league club.

There have definitely been plants on this forum. That says a lot about their intent and desire to always be the positive good guy in this saga.

Their hold on local media is incredible and I an not sure how this has been done. Even CWR is skewed hugely to them. Today has been a walking advert for them.

There is in my mind no doubt that if wasps remain in coventry this club as well as the rugby club will be marginalised - I actually think the football club will cease to exist.

Whatever peoples views I personally find this a very sad and upsetting prospect. The football club has been a huge part of my life (often to my families annoyance) and the thought that it's going to be removed is not something that I can comprehend.

The future looks grim - with wasps it has no hope.

So can we think of something's we can do to try and counter this threat?

I would urge people to at least look at their forum. There is an arrogance - laughing at football fans for their poor grammar, claiming conentry needs wasps more than the other way round and telling the club to find some money and build something itself for once (that individual clearly doesn't appreciate irony) but at the same time there is nervous uncertainty. A concern if the placid and actually compliant fan base started to turn.

It is this that gives us our only hope. There is a lack of assurance - they know they have years before they can be fully entrenched.

So - what can we do? I've some thoughts - but what about anyone else?

I would ask this thread does not descend into the normal divergent blame game nonsense. If people don't share the view fine - but those that do - what do we think?
I like the idea of filling the stadium with 20k+ supporters for every home game which would benefit CCFC and give us the funds to get out of the league and dwarf the WASPS attendances in their own stadium and because of their greed they would not want us to leave and would see a financial advantage of being more collaborative with us

Macca

You've got to cause disruption, be prepared to take the consequences. No one cares about protests.

shelby76

I really think it's time we all pushed promoted Coventry rugby club, can't stand the game, but little things like get there attendances up, get them more followers on twitter everyone who follows the football club should follow them any social media little things that will snowball.

shelby76

To all the wasps fans pr people, looking at this thread FUCK YOU WE ARE COMING. Bet wasps come up with a deal soon but I think it's to late.

Ranjit Bhurpa

So perhaps we should all vote for another city then

The thought had crossed my mind too. In the event of a Coventry win which would be a proud moment for all Coventrians, I wonder who would claim the credit? Imagine 12 months or more of incessant local media coverage, with local politicians and their new found friends grabbing every photo opportunity to muscle in on the action, no doubt with their sly digs and pointed barbs aimed in our direction whilst extolling their vision for a city of rugby. They will probably even wheel out little orphan Annie to gurn at us from the front page of the Telegraph, maybe the Sun could even run a headline 'It was Annie wot won it'?

As an aside, I wonder if the bid committee or whoever will trot out the 'we are a city of peace and reconciliation' line as I don't see too much evidence of peace and reconciliation heading towards CCFC?

Otis

IF and it's a big if to my mind, that CCC and Wasps are out to 'destroy' Coventry City, then just how much embarrassment would it be to them and how much high profile would we get if we actually won the league this season? Open top bus parade, civic reception.

For me the best 'protest' possible and to make everyone stand up and take notice of us, is to raise our profile by winning something.

Again this comes down to everyone getting up the Ricoh, supporting the team, backing the manager and letting him build a winning team.

We get promotion next season then the whole city will be talking about us and any notion to have us forced out will face much greater opposition.

Nick

Administrator
IF and it's a big if to my mind, that CCC and Wasps are out to 'destroy' Coventry City, then just how much embarrassment would it be to them and how much high profile would we get if we actually won the league this season? Open top bus parade, civic reception.

For me the best 'protest' possible and to make everyone stand up and take notice of us, is to raise our profile by winning something.

Again this comes down to everyone getting up the Ricoh, supporting the team, backing the manager and letting him build a winning team.

We get promotion next season then the whole city will be talking about us and any notion to have us forced out will face much greater opposition.

Exactly, if people start to see that CCFC are a bigger club (even just attendances) then people will take notice.

Wasps can own the stadium, they can put their signage up etc but we should make it sky blue ourselves.

Otis

Even a JPT win would do it I reckon. The success of the football club always brings a feel good factor to a whole city.

rupert_bear

To have a serious opposition and protest group you need clout above us "men of straw" and an end game, a credible alternative, that means money. We have well heeled individuals more than capable of taking over the club, and perhaps would like too but seem to be keeping their heads down. There needs to be proper meetings. Getting our club out of the clutches of our current owners has to be just as important as trying to embarrass Wasps, ccc, or any other third party and for that serious money is needed from somewhere and God knows where that might be.

Otis

To have a serious opposition and protest group you need clout above us "men of straw" and an end game, a credible alternative, that means money. We have well heeled individuals more than capable of taking over the club, and perhaps would like too but seem to be keeping their heads down. There needs to be proper meetings. Getting our club out of the clutches of our current owners has to be just as important as trying to embarrass Wasps, ccc, or any other third party and for that serious money is needed from somewhere and God knows where that might be.

Agree.

No point focusing on Wasps and CCC if we are not on Sisu too.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Maybe fight fire with fire everybody support anyway you can Coventry rugby club instead of watching wasp let's support the local real Coventry rugby club and fly Coventry city fc banners.

Great idea.

At a time when CCFC and CRFC are both being squeezed by the local authority and the franchise rugby club, we need to turn up in numbers to physically support both clubs. And if this were to be matched by some serious ambition by the respective owners, any sustained success on the pitch would see attendances improve even further.

Imagine the positivity a little bit of success would bring, both clubs have played at the top level for a sustained period so it's not impossible to think that we could both return one day.

So for me it's time to get behind both teams in the best way we can. 'You can't beat a team and a city' - Jimmy Hill

Otis

Exactly, if people start to see that CCFC are a bigger club (even just attendances) then people will take notice.

Wasps can own the stadium, they can put their signage up etc but we should make it sky blue ourselves.

Yep. It cannot be anything other than embarrassing if Wasps are getting between 12,000-14,000 and we are getting 16,000 plus.

Ian1779

If we were to achieve this - outside of Coventry people will forget that Wasps are even here. It's taking advantage of football's universal popularity.

Imagine making the PL... the monies we would receive from TV rights and prize money... with virtually none of it going to Wasps.

rupert_bear

That's right Otis, SISU and their reps, Anderson and Fisher are as much part of the problem as any, many would say more so. Grendels call for protest, well meant I'm sure but fruitless unless it includes all parties. In fact I believe with out sisu negotiations re. the Ricoh and the Acadamy might be easier. We are near the brink imo and entering a possible dangerous phase possibly complemented with the new Football League proposals to increase the clubs to a 100 membership their ground rules are fairly strict and I suspect we will have to comply with them to remain members.

Nick

Administrator
It is local businesses as well, people go on about Wasps etc.

How many Wasps fans fill the local pubs now or do they all go to the fanzone before and after the game? We should start to fill the local pubs and local areas, maybe designate pubs each week so the local pubs and businesses can see that CCFC have a benefit too. Pack pubs out, arrange in advance to get them to put something on maybe?

Grendel

1. We are never going to pack the ground out - it's a pipe dream

2. If the club got promoted we'd be seen as a bigger threat to wasps - they want to be the biggest sports club in this city. The more we threaten that the more impossible it would be to secure a deal to stay.

Nick

Administrator

2. If the club got promoted we'd be seen as a bigger threat to wasps - they want to be the biggest sports club in this city. The more we threaten that the more impossible it would be to secure a deal to stay.

We would...if we got a big FA cup draw.

Seamus1

I certainly agree that the best thing we can do is to pack out the Ricoh Arena for as many CCFC matches as possible, and also to fill the BPA. I'm not convinced that BPA is the answer to our long term stadium ambitions, but that's another matter.

I was wondering if the flexible match package option could be used? That makes each ticket that everyone were to pay for a little bit cheaper (bearing in mind any new ticket provider fee that's coming in to force). Again, it comes down to the issue of organisation, but if say 2,000 of those 12 match packages were to be sold (the shop would have one hell of a queue...and one hell of a good day at the tills!!), and those match packages were to be split over 2 games, you would obviously have another 12,000 people attending each of those matches. Do that for each month of the season and that should certainly help boost Tony's coffers.

Are there any ticket deals between CCFC and CRFC? Maybe 10% - 25% off CRFC tickets with a valid 2016/17 CCFC ticket? If CRFC could (hopefully) double their attendances thanks to a 10% - 25% discount, they'd be quids-in and hopefully start to go up through the leagues.

Am I correct in thinking that Wasps get a cut of food and beverages on CCFC match days? One other thing I thought of would be, if we were able to get say 22k+ for each gate, how about alternating between buying and boycotting food and beverages? This shows Wasps the benefit of having CCFC there, vs the lack of income without CCFC

harvey098

Thanks Dongonzalos. Just what I was hoping for. Hopefully the rest will make a bit more sense to me now. Cheers.

We tried to agree a long term rental with Wasps, however Wasps are saying they can't do the long term deal whilst the legal action is going on.
People perceive this a bull as they maintain the legal action doesn't affect Wasps and they actually just want us out as they see us as a threat and competition.
Separately until recently we were saying we were going to build our own stadium and our own training and academy facility.
Then stuff came out about potentially an Olympic swimming pool been put in the academy facility when our deal expires.
Then we stated that actually do want to stay at the academy long term.
Then the other day it was announced it is getting sold to Wasps as a training facility for 7 million.
Wasps came out and offered the academy a poor option that Wasps maintain will allow us to keep our academy status.
However many say it actually doesn't do that at all. They also say she shows Wasps want us out.
CCFC now say they have the Butts Park Arena and another site lined up as back up options to build our own stadium.
However it has been about 3-4 years now with us threatening to build our own stadium with very little progress been made. So we hope that that isn't just a bluff.
The next legal action is a Judicial Review where SISU claim the selling of ACL to Wasps was too cheap and not what would have happened in normal private industry.
Wasps have been making out they are the good guy and want us working with them long term but actions the last few days may suggest otherwise.

Bugsy

I was even thinking the performance bit is you pack the Butts out (as it were!) while a Wasps game is going on... even though there's no game going on at the Butts.

Nothing.

Make a game of hugball with all of us...PUSB

RegTheDonk

Hate what they stand for with a passion, but WASPs have played their own game and have the stadium. We need to move on, we're in danger of getting sucked into an never ending game of cat and mouse, like the court situations. The only thing keeping SISU interested is the legals, which they've been battered with.

Time to give that up, drop the "background noise" and move on.....put the effort into getting planning permission to do something at the Butts - if the council block it, there is no excuse if the legals have been dropped, so then would be the time to address that.
Or we could roll over, have our belly tickled, drop the legals and do a deal with WASPs for rent at the Ricoh and a share (or proper rent agreement) at their new venture at the Higgs.

I'd suspect the latter, not ideal because it's giving in...but its realistic and it won't cost any money for the bricks.

The only way to get at WASPs is for the people of Coventry to not attend their games. Perfect, we can sit on our arses, so that's about right. As a gesture: Kids, rip up those freebie tickets ... and to it on YouTube.

ccfcway

its perhaps not as impossible as you think, just needs a bit of imagination and support from the club.

The club could offer the 1st home game of the season as a "charity day"

All tickets at the turnstyles are FOC, with a voluntary donation to Alzheimer’s Society should anyone wish.

The place would be full and in theory could be used to highlight our plight.

Also, IF the game goes well, it may encourage some attend again.

Otis

Hate what they stand for with a passion, but WASPs have played their own game and have the stadium. We need to move on, we're in danger of getting sucked into an never ending game of cat and mouse, like the court situations. The only thing keeping SISU interested is the legals, which they've been battered with.

Time to give that up, drop the "background noise" and move on.....put the effort into getting planning permission to do something at the Butts - if the council block it, there is no excuse if the legals have been dropped, so then would be the time to address that.
Or we could roll over, have our belly tickled, drop the legals and do a deal with WASPs for rent at the Ricoh and a share (or proper rent agreement) at their new venture at the Higgs.

I'd suspect the latter, not ideal because it's giving in...but its realistic and it won't cost any money for the bricks.

The only way to get at WASPs is for the people of Coventry to not attend their games. Perfect, we can sit on our arses, so that's about right. As a gesture: Kids, rip up those freebie tickets ... and to it on YouTube.

Well yep, if the people of Coventry hadn't embraced Wasps and gone up to watch them then they'd just be left with a few thousand original Wasps supporters who decided to follow them up.
Does make me feel a little sick to my stomach every time I see someone wearing a Wasps jersey around town.

No-one should have gone to Northampton and likewise no-one should go and watch Wasps. Best way for this folly to end.

ccfc92

Just a question:

Does anyone feel if Sixfields (this isn't blame pointing) hadn't of happened, would there be less apathy to fight off Wasps?

Like I said, ignore who was to blame for N'hampton etc, just take the event itself.

Grendel

its perhaps not as impossible as you think, just needs a bit of imagination and support from the club.

The club could offer the 1st home game of the season as a "charity day"

All tickets at the turnstyles are FOC, with a voluntary donation to Alzheimer’s Society should anyone wish.

The place would be full and in theory could be used to highlight our plight.

Also, IF the game goes well, it may encourage some attend again.

The Gillingham game went well - the next Saturday 17,000 didn't turn up.

Users who are viewing this thread