Brainstorm (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I know we've had some threads around the issue but I think we need to get some ideas out on the table and decide what actions can actually be taken.

The problem is the fragmentation of the fanbase. Blame apportionment and re-writing of history is far from helpful. My belief always has been that Wasps have wanted a cheap stadium for many years and Richardson identified this opportunity and it's why he purchased wasps. The subsequent events have been all conduits to wasps and the councils desire to bring this club here. There see wasps fans who equally concur with this viewpoint.

I believe now wasps want the club gone. I believe that this City of Rugby strategy is ultimately an attempt to get both union and league at the ground. Wasps I'm afraid have huge delusions of grandure. They believe wasps will be some sort of global brand and I'm sure the only other club they will ever integrate will be the rugby league club.

There have definitely been plants on this forum. That says a lot about their intent and desire to always be the positive good guy in this saga.

Their hold on local media is incredible and I an not sure how this has been done. Even CWR is skewed hugely to them. Today has been a walking advert for them.

There is in my mind no doubt that if wasps remain in coventry this club as well as the rugby club will be marginalised - I actually think the football club will cease to exist.

Whatever peoples views I personally find this a very sad and upsetting prospect. The football club has been a huge part of my life (often to my families annoyance) and the thought that it's going to be removed is not something that I can comprehend.

The future looks grim - with wasps it has no hope.

So can we think of something's we can do to try and counter this threat?

I would urge people to at least look at their forum. There is an arrogance - laughing at football fans for their poor grammar, claiming conentry needs wasps more than the other way round and telling the club to find some money and build something itself for once (that individual clearly doesn't appreciate irony) but at the same time there is nervous uncertainty. A concern if the placid and actually compliant fan base started to turn.

It is this that gives us our only hope. There is a lack of assurance - they know they have years before they can be fully entrenched.

So - what can we do? I've some thoughts - but what about anyone else?

I would ask this thread does not descend into the normal divergent blame game nonsense. If people don't share the view fine - but those that do - what do we think?

Ian1779

They should be afraid that football will continue to be infinitely more popular than rugby ever will. We have to use this to our advantage.

NorthernWisdom

It's always been my view that you need a presence to show something. It was my concern with Sixfields, that we gave the impression of apathy and, ditto, once we came back. The things that gave us a profile were the two marches, and the Arsenal protest.

So of the things I've read, I liked the sound of a massive football game outside the council house. I like the thought of taking over a Wasps game one time. They're proactive things that are a bit unusual, and give a news story. They also show we care.

On a wider level, I think we're at the stage (again!) where however much we go or don't go to games, we have to turn up when we can to show we care. We also maybe need to put aside our own personal views on what the trust is as an organisation, and attend its next meeting. At the end of the day there's one thing we all have in common which, it seems, none of Wasps, SISU or whoever do... and we're the city fans. Even if we cat-call, we all ultimately want the best for our club.

SkyblueBazza

You can't offer any ideas yourself though?

Personally, I think you should steer clear of the WASPS websites & forums...as it raises the hits & makes them look more popular than they may otherwise be.
Forget the arrogance of them & their fans...we have arrogance in abundance in our owners & 'big time Charlie' element within our own fanbase.
Short of armed guards at the ticket office & turnstiles & assassinating the players as they arrive - I doubt there is ANY action that will achieve what you seem to seek.
Give it up & enjoy the football if you can while we still have it.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Samo

I know that I am filled with rage about what is happening and I NEED to channel it into some form of protest. I sincerely hope that others feel the same and that rage will unite us.

clint van damme

what if we marched from the Ricoh to the council house or vice versa and presented a set of questions for Wasps and a set of questions for SISU at the Ricoh and then a set of questions for the council at the council house so the protest was aimed at all 3 parties.
(We could do with throwing a few out to the Higgs trust as well because their recent actions contradict statements made on their website.)
The presentation would be purely for show but surely the local media would want to know what the questions were and it would get them into print.(what we asked would need to be agreed).

Asking the 3 parties to firmly state what their intentions towards CCFC were would at least get it out in the public domain rather than the current sound bites.

Otis

I know we've had some threads around the issue but I think we need to get some ideas out on the table and decide what actions can actually be taken.

The problem is the fragmentation of the fanbase. Blame apportionment and re-writing of history is far from helpful. My belief always has been that Wasps have wanted a cheap stadium for many years and Richardson identified this opportunity and it's why he purchased wasps. The subsequent events have been all conduits to wasps and the councils desire to bring this club here. There see wasps fans who equally concur with this viewpoint.

I believe now wasps want the club gone. I believe that this City of Rugby strategy is ultimately an attempt to get both union and league at the ground. Wasps I'm afraid have huge delusions of grandure. They believe wasps will be some sort of global brand and I'm sure the only other club they will ever integrate will be the rugby league club.

There have definitely been plants on this forum. That says a lot about their intent and desire to always be the positive good guy in this saga.

Their hold on local media is incredible and I an not sure how this has been done. Even CWR is skewed hugely to them. Today has been a walking advert for them.

There is in my mind no doubt that if wasps remain in coventry this club as well as the rugby club will be marginalised - I actually think the football club will cease to exist.

Whatever peoples views I personally find this a very sad and upsetting prospect. The football club has been a huge part of my life (often to my families annoyance) and the thought that it's going to be removed is not something that I can comprehend.

The future looks grim - with wasps it has no hope.

So can we think of something's we can do to try and counter this threat?

I would urge people to at least look at their forum. There is an arrogance - laughing at football fans for their poor grammar, claiming conentry needs wasps more than the other way round and telling the club to find some money and build something itself for once (that individual clearly doesn't appreciate irony) but at the same time there is nervous uncertainty. A concern if the placid and actually compliant fan base started to turn.

It is this that gives us our only hope. There is a lack of assurance - they know they have years before they can be fully entrenched.

So - what can we do? I've some thoughts - but what about anyone else?

I would ask this thread does not descend into the normal divergent blame game nonsense. If people don't share the view fine - but those that do - what do we think?

Is that a brainstorm, or just another rant against Wasps?

I think what we need to concentrate on what we can do positively to aid our football club. This really needs to be focused on getting people to games, boosting crowds, focusing on the football team and not the owners.

As it stands you have have to utter the word Sisu and people get angry. You only need to utter the word Wasps and people get angry.

To improve the situation we have found ourselves in we need to get bums on seats and win football matches and have a season of success.

I don't think talking in terms of Wasps wanting to destroy us does any good at all, and by the same token neither does the hatred of Sisu and people saying NOPM while they are at the club.

We need to focus on what can positively be done. Think all the hatred clouds our vision.

tisza

it's difficult.
It's the normal cynical tactic of announcing bad news in the close season - made worse with the distraction of the upcoming European championships.
To start with people (under CCC) actually have to find out who their local councillor is and (in a sensible way) put them on the spot and demand answers. Don't let them hide behind unelected executive officers or party machinery. It is a local issue that effects all sides of the local population.
The Trust (through the virtue of being the largest supporters group) needs to actively mobilize their members. This really isn't about SISU anymore. It's moved beyond that. They don't have to like the owners and can resume what ever agenda they may have once the primary aim of securing the physical future of the club & academy has been achieved.
As with any campaign recognizable figureheads need to be found. ex-players, "celeb" fans. Those that can get media coverage for their opinions.
Contact needs to be made with local businesses & business organiztions to state the damage the potential disappearance would have on local economy. People were quick enough with figures when we went to Northampton.

Grendel

I think what we need to concentrate on what we can do positively to aid our football club. This really needs to be focused on getting people to games, boosting crowds, focusing on the football team and not the owners.

As it stands you have have to utter the word Sisu and people get angry. You only need to utter the word Wasps and people get angry.

To improve the situation we have found ourselves in we need to get bums on seats and win football matches and have a season of success.

I don't think talking in terms of Wasps wanting to destroy us does any good at all, and by the same token neither does the hatred of Sisu and people saying NOPM while they are at the club.

We need to focus on what can positively be done. Think all the hatred clouds our vision.

Wasps want the club gone. The council want the club gone. We are an irritant. You keep dancing with the devil because of your absurd infatuation with a rather unpleasant looking structure near the M6

In interested in the club - not a lump of concrete.

theferret

I understand the sentiment - but it could be interpreted as apathy. There has never been a public display of anger directed at the council/Wasps and I think it is overdue, because the default position of the wider public seems to be that the fans are comfortable with the situation - there has never been a reason for them to think otherwise.

Yes, some success on the pitch next season would be by far the best bit of PR - imagine a sustained and genuine promotion push. Imagine a trip to Wembley - the buzz it would create would remind a lot of people just what the club means and how it can move the city. If I were SISU I would absolutely throw the kitchen sink at it next season (and in L1 terms that needn't be a massive amount of mount). If it failed they'd be slightly more fucked, but if they don't and we finish another season as mid-table fodder they'll still be fucked.

Grendel

It's always been my view that you need a presence to show something. It was my concern with Sixfields, that we gave the impression of apathy and, ditto, once we came back. The things that gave us a profile were the two marches, and the Arsenal protest.

So of the things I've read, I liked the sound of a massive football game outside the council house. I like the thought of taking over a Wasps game one time. They're proactive things that are a bit unusual, and give a news story. They also show we care.

On a wider level, I think we're at the stage (again!) where however much we go or don't go to games, we have to turn up when we can to show we care. We also maybe need to put aside our own personal views on what the trust is as an organisation, and attend its next meeting. At the end of the day there's one thing we all have in common which, it seems, none of Wasps, SISU or whoever do... and we're the city fans. Even if we cat-call, we all ultimately want the best for our club.

The taking over a wasps game is an obvious one to do. The problem is the scale of organisation.

The message this would send, however, would be huge. A chorus of the sky blue song and songs regarding legend and heritage would send a massive message

If it had been done from the start I suspect we'd not even be where we are now.

Bugsy

Like the idea of a big Royal Shrovetide game (hugball) from the Ricoh to the council house, maybe at the end of the euros we could organize something, I would be up for that I know a few others, get sum flyers out summarising the situation so people know whats happening in this whole sorry affair to this football club, it couldn't bare thinking about if we don't hav ccfc to support.....PUSB

Last edited:

Grendel

Is there a vote for this City of Culture thing?

WestEndAgro

The taking over a wasps game is an obvious one to do. The problem is the scale of organisation.

The message this would send, however, would be huge. A chorus of the sky blue song and songs regarding legend and heritage would send a massive message

Taking over a Wasps game should be straightforward enough, many of their games are live on BT Sport so we should select the first televised game, and flood the pitch with inflatable Sky Blue footballs, a harmless but effective protest which should generate some coverage.

NorthernWisdom

Taking over a Wasps game should be straightforward enough, many of their games are live on BT Sport so we should select the first televised game, and flood the pitch with inflatable Sky Blue footballs, a harmless but effective protest which should generate some coverage.

Take it over and walk out on a set time, too.

As per Sixfields, it would struggle to get off the ground because of differing viewpoints of blame, and those who would see it as giving Wasps cash. Its only fighting chance is showing it as an opportunity to assert CCFC's identity.

Grendel

Take it over and walk out on a set time, too.

As per Sixfields, it would struggle to get off the ground because of differing viewpoints of blame, and those who would see it as giving Wasps cash. Its only fighting chance is showing it as an opportunity to assert CCFC's identity.

And they really wouldn't like it

SkyblueBazza

Wasps want the club gone. The council want the club gone. We are an irritant. You keep dancing with the devil because of your absurd infatuation with a rather unpleasant looking structure near the M6

I think they want all traces of our current owners gone - that's not the same thing.

SkyblueBazza

And they will welcome the additional income!

Samo

I think they want all traces of our current owners gone - that's not the same thing.

But can the council not see past that, really? The damage done will outlast SISU's ownership by decades, can't they temper their spite with that in mind?

skybluetony176

Bang on the button Otis. Well said.

olderskyblue

If a march, why not follow the route of the 87 cup final celebration from Walsgrave? Identifies with our history and what CCFC brought to the city of Coventry after the win. Or, from Highfield Road....

Otis

Well I disagree.

I think personally Wasps don't mind us being there as long as it is on their terms. I think stating that they want to destroy our club are way, way over the top, but that is by the by. I think stuff like that distracts us. I don't believe the council deliberately want to hurt us and by the same token I don't believe Sisu want to either.

We need to concentrate on how we progress this football club. We can't get rid of Wasps and we can't get rid of Sisu. Just think we need to focus on the positives that can aid us.

NorthernWisdom

If a march, why not follow the route of the 87 cup final celebration from Walsgrave? Identifies with our history and what CCFC brought to the city of Coventry after the win. Or, from Highfield Road....

I always thought we should have recreated it May 16th when we were in our Northampton years.

Guess we've missed that date now, but don't see why we couldn't take a few date liberties.

Also... anybody fancies doing some Then and Now photos? Same photos, same angles as with the cup parade but now, showing how an unsuccessful football club makes the town quiet... and one gone altogether makes it deserted.

wingy

I
You can't offer any ideas yourself though?

Personally, I think you should steer clear of the WASPS websites & forums...as it raises the hits & makes them look more popular than they may otherwise be.
Forget the arrogance of them & their fans...we have arrogance in abundance in our owners & 'big time Charlie' element within our own fanbase.
Short of armed guards at the ticket office & turnstiles & assassinating the players as they arrive - I doubt there is ANY action that will achieve what you seem to seek.
Give it up & enjoy the football if you can while we still have it.

TBF I do actually think Grendel Is on a recruitment drive to carry out some guerrilla action and in a way I wouldn't blame him.
How about messing with the pitch?

Grendel

I

TBF I do actually think Grendel Is on a recruitment drive to carry out some guerrilla action and in a way I wouldn't blame him.
How about messing with the pitch?

I would never condone such tactics Wingy.

George Davies is innocent.

skyblue1991

Like the idea of taking over a a Wasps game with all City fans wearing Sky Blue singing CCFC songs and chants aimed at CCC and Wasps!

Also be funny to 'go facking mental' with alcohol in the stands!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Like the idea of taking over a a Wasps game with all City fans wearing Sky Blue singing CCFC songs and chants aimed at CCC and Wasps!

Also be funny to 'go facking mental' with alcohol in the stands!

To be fair, it would be a better idea to fill the local pubs with city fans. Make them sky blue as well.

theferret

Well I disagree.

I think personally Wasps don't mind us being there as long as it is on their terms. I think stating that they want to destroy our club are way, way over the top, but that is by the by. I think stuff like that distracts us. I don't believe the council deliberately want to hurt us and by the same token I don't believe Sisu want to either.

We need to concentrate on how we progress this football club. We can't get rid of Wasps and we can't get rid of Sisu. Just think we need to focus on the positives that can aid us.

I don't know if you are right about Wasps - but I think their recent actions are questionable in the extreme. The council? There are certainly some elements who want to harm SISU, and inevitably that harms the football club by association.

skyblue1991

To be fair, it would be a better idea to fill the local pubs with city fans. Make them sky blue as well.
I think just showing the sky blues support on the nominated day wheverver is needed.

OK maybe not going mental in the stand but showing we are a hell of a lot more passionate than the plastic Wasps fans (nothing against the true fans that travel up from London etc...) and that they are not welcome in Coventry.

Perhaps should've been done earlier Hut at the time I'm not sure many knew what their owners were like.

I am now agreeing With Grendel, I don't think they want Coventry City FC to exist in Coventry or at all.

Users who are viewing this thread