Match Thread Bradford City vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Tuesday 23rd Oct (1 Viewer)

PTA

The usual football chant when a set of fans are leaving early because they're losing is 'we can see you sneaking out', but Cov fans have always opted for 'is there a fire drill?', so I assume there was no malicious intent and our fans were too jubilant at 4-1 up to spot the connection.

SkyBlueCRJ

I have agreed with it. I have said I agree, and of course it matters, as you are saying that you wouldn't trust Thompson if injuries happened, but you are now trusting Willis after he was only thrown in originally after injuries.

As for your point about a loan. Those are no longer the rules, if we were to loan him out it would only be worth it to a League 2 club. However you can no longer recall a player outside of the transfer window. Plus I believe ( but may be wrong on this part) There are no short term loans now? Think it is either 6 months or a year.

I never said trusted Willis when he broke through though? But there's always going to be scepticism when a young player is thrown into the deep end due to injuries rather than due to his own personal quality pushing him to the front of the pecking order. Still to this day I don't trust him at RB despite his quality at the back. Neither would I trust Thompson as he has nothing apart from a 'highly rated' title to back up his quality.

I think short term loans still apply in non-league as Kyle Finn originally went out on a one-month loan this season to Tamworth before the club extended his time there. Plus, he's recently been recalled so I believe that still applies also.

Mucca Mad Boys

Whilst the majority of what you say is bang on. The situation does feel similar to that of the Ponticelli scenario. The odd appearance/sub appearance isn't going to make him a starter. He needs a run of games for that to materialise and realistically, besides an injury crisis, he's not going to get that at CCFC anytime soon given the quality that is in front of him. I suppose it's a nice problem for the club to have, just not the player.

We probably will loan Thompson out at some point. But, the pertinent point is that we shouldn't go out and buy a central defender just to sit on the bench, which is what you're doing if you're signing a 4th choice CB. We should be looking at strengthing the Starting XI now we have the depth in our squad, so signing substitutes are pointless and it's a solution that is the worse of both worlds: he's neither good enough to improve the team, yet, he's pushing younger players like Morgan and Thompson further down the pecking order.

Right now, the depth in our squad is good. A left-footed or sided winger is perhaps on the shopping list, but we've got Jones, Hiwula is in-form and Allassani out on loan. If Thomas doesn't renew his loan, then a right midfielder will probably be needed.

skybluegod

I never said trusted Willis when he broke through though? But there's always going to be scepticism when a young player is thrown into the deep end due to injuries rather than due to his own personal quality pushing him to the front of the pecking order. Still to this day I don't trust him at RB despite his quality at the back. Neither would I trust Thompson as he has nothing apart from a 'highly rated' title to back up his quality.

I think short term loans still apply in non-league as Kyle Finn originally went out on a one-month loan this season to Tamworth before the club extended his time there. Plus, he's recently been recalled so I believe that still applies also.

Yes they short term loans only apply to non-league, but personally don’t see much point in Thompson going to non-league...

SkyBlueCRJ

We probably will loan Thompson out at some point. But, the pertinent point is that we shouldn't go out and buy a central defender just to sit on the bench, which is what you're doing if you're signing a 4th choice CB. We should be looking at strengthing the Starting XI now we have the depth in our squad, so signing substitutes are pointless and it's a solution that is the worse of both worlds: he's neither good enough to improve the team, yet, he's pushing younger players like Morgan and Thompson further down the pecking order.

Right now, the depth in our squad is good. A left-footed or sided winger is perhaps on the shopping list, but we've got Jones, Hiwula is in-form and Allassani out on loan. If Thomas doesn't renew his loan, then a right midfielder will probably be needed.

There's always a better player out there. So, realistically the only viable option would be to bring in someone better than what we already have. But then again you can argue you the validity of that as it's slightly demoralising for Davies/Hyam/Willis given how well they've performed so far season. So, again difficult scenario to know what is best to do. Perhaps the answer is to leave him in the squad for now and see if what materialises next season.

Left sided winger? We've already got Shipley, Thomas, Allassani and Jones who are all left footed!

clint van damme

I suggest we leave it to Mark Robins to decide where we need strengthening.

no one on here is actually deciding mate, they're just debating. Otherwise I've a feeling the forum would be redundant.

Who shall we play up front - let's leave it to Mark Robins to decide.
Who's our best keeper - let's leave it to Mark Robins to decide.
Who shall we sign in the transfer window - let's leave it to Mark Robins to decide.

Not sure that format works as well!

Mucca Mad Boys

There's always a better player out there. So, realistically the only viable option would be to bring in someone better than what we already have. But then again you can argue you the validity of that as it's slightly demoralising for Davies/Hyam/Willis given how well they've performed so far season. So, again difficult scenario to know what is best to do. Perhaps the answer is to leave him in the squad for now and see if what materialises next season.

Left sided winger? We've already got Shipley, Thomas, Allassani and Jones who are all left footed!

The part I've bolded is my argument. I'm happy with the depth we have and believe in only signing a player who is better than what we have right now.

Allassani is out on loan and injured, Shipley is a CM by trade (a good player tbf) and currently, our LM is someone who's a striker by trade (and doing a v good job), whilst Thomas plays on the right. If the goal is to take this team to the 'next level,' someone has to go. We'll need a CM for next season as it stands if Doyle retires.

Otis

no one on here is actually deciding mate, they're just debating. Otherwise I've a feeling the forum would be redundant.

Who shall we play up front - let's leave it to Mark Robins to decide.
Who's our best keeper - let's leave it to Mark Robins to decide.
Who shall we sign in the transfer window - let's leave it to Mark Robins to decide.

Not sure that format works as well!
Love it!

Let's definitely go for that and concentrate on why people like tinned tomatoes better than fresh ones instead.

Sky Blue Harry H

The part I've bolded is my argument. I'm happy with the depth we have and believe in only signing a player who is better than what we have right now.

Allassani is out on loan and injured, Shipley is a CM by trade (a good player tbf) and currently, our LM is someone who's a striker by trade (and doing a v good job), whilst Thomas plays on the right. If the goal is to take this team to the 'next level,' someone has to go. We'll need a CM for next season as it stands if Doyle retires.

Before itsabuzzard gets there, can I suggest emboldened? When you see me, you can either give me a black eye for my cheek, or demand a pint (prefer the drink request!)

SkyBlueCRJ

Assuming he isn't out for long and he performs well at Ebbsfleet - which judging from reports he already was - I can see him being brought back into the fold at some point this season. Robins probably will review his situation in January to whether he stays with us or gets loaned out to a higher placed club.

Although Shipley is naturally a CM, it's not his best position at senior level (ironic I know). When he was deployed there at the beginning of last season he was pretty poor and hasn't played there since (I don't think) so I think MR may has made up his mind on that one.

Well Hiwula is a forward/striker, he played on the wing for a number of the clubs he was loaned to such as Walsall and Bradford so he already has had previous experience playing at LM.

Not necessarily sure someone has to go. We have the luxury that the majority of our players are still developing. But a review will probably be made next summer.

I agree with bringing in another left sided CM though because as it stands we're already heavily overloaded with right sided CMs with Kelly, Ogogo, Bayliss and Westbrooke.

itsabuzzard

Before itsabuzzard gets there, can I suggest emboldened? When you see me, you can either give me a black eye for my cheek, or demand a pint (prefer the drink request!)
Nice one, Harry. Happy for you to stick your head above the parapet. I'll have a pint too.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

smileycov

Facebook User
Totally agree. Hate stuff like that. Same with the Munich disaster and any other tragedies.

Anyone shouting stuff like that should watch the video of people actually on fire and dying at the ground that day.
Think it wasn’t done malicious because of the fire. Standard chant for fans leaving early. Obviously little thought in it as to the history. Typical young idiots

Mucca Mad Boys

Damn, you would’ve thought I learned that at university... I wouldn’t take a pint off you, nor give you a black eye! But, if you’re offering, I’ll have a Guinness and black* please!

* all my Irish ancestors are rolling in their graves at this sacrilege!

Users who are viewing this thread