Match Thread Bradford City vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Tuesday 23rd Oct (1 Viewer)

Otis

A point could be made though that there's equally no point in letting a prodigy such as Thompson rot in the U23s all season. I cannot see him getting ahead of Willis, Hyam or Davies anytime soon so in an ideal world Thompson should be loaned out and a short term replacement should be brought in.
Yeah and the short term replacement won't get ahead of Willis, Hyam and Davies and HE can rot in the U23's instead.

Sky Blue Harry H

A
Medium

Absolutely loved this picture !!

Otis

Just seen the match day experience vlog, usual good effort!
Shocked to hear some of our fans singing "is there a fire drill?" at Bradford.
Absolutely classless and they should hang their heads in shame.
What fucking planet are they on?
Totally agree. Hate stuff like that. Same with the Munich disaster and any other tragedies.

Anyone shouting stuff like that should watch the video of people actually on fire and dying at the ground that day.

Nick

Administrator

Had to think about that one before I realised.

Not on at all really.

RegTheDonk

Doesn't seem to be much praise going Hiwula's way, considering he has scored in 3 of the last 4 games.
Never really comment on players because I'm pretty clueless, but you don't get shit after a couple of fluffs. Once he broke his duck he looked more confident - he's got a lovely touch when it actually comes off. Been putting off getting a new phone after being out of contract for nearly 2 years, fancy changing to a Huawei, it's close enough for me to take the plunge.
On the basis of recent form and talent in abundance I’d be very disappointed if we didn’t at least reach the play offs. Need to watch out for shoddy defending when we are in front but zI love the steel we are showing at last.
Even at this relatively early stage, it would be heartbreaking to not see this team make the play offs - you can see the spirit is there and the potential is there to get promotion. But I think there's a danger of some people getting carried away and getting angry or dishing out rage filled blame if we fail. It's a new division and a realtively new team - everybody is on a learing curve, Robins too. They came good last season when it mattered, we have to trust his judgement here too.

Mucca Mad Boys

A point could be made though that there's equally no point in letting a prodigy such as Thompson rot in the U23s all season. I cannot see him getting ahead of Willis, Hyam or Davies anytime soon so in an ideal world Thompson should be loaned out and a short term replacement should be brought in.

The lad is 19 so still very much in a developmental stage of his career. He’s also getting some decent minutes too so for him, he’s in a good place.

If you’re that concerned with his development, why would you sign a 4th choice CB? Which would definitely relegate him to the U23s...

It’s only worth signing a new CB if he’s better than what we have right now!

Johhny Blue

Can't get to many games and usually a huge fan of the SBA but no place for garbage like this. Hang your heads in shame we don’t need that kind of “support”

clint van damme

Can't get to many games and usually a huge fan of the SBA but no place for garbage like this. Hang your heads in shame we don’t need that kind of “support”

Wasn't there last night but I can't imagine any one intended any reference to the Bradford fire.

itsabuzzard

Cretins. There was a documentary about the Bradford fire on the radio recently and the heart-rending testimony of many of the survivors and relatives had me in tears. Shankly was undoubtedly a great manager, but he was sadly mistaken when describing football as a much more serious matter than life and death.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Wasn't there last night but I can't imagine any one intended any reference to the Bradford fire.
I had to think about it, first thought was about there being not many fans but it's a bit specific. Apparently singing songs about Tommy Robinson too

Cavan O'Doherty

It was probably a few ignorant 16 year olds not thinking about what they were chanting. I don’t think it was in reference to that event.

Cov kid 55

It was probably a few ignorant 16 year olds not thinking about what they were chanting. I don’t think it was in reference to that event.
I agree, this was sung towards the end of the game when we went 4-1 up and Bradford fans next to us in the stand started to leave. I’ve seen it sung at other grounds in the same circumstances. Although it is insensitive, and i’m no defender of some of the things are fans sing, I don’t believe that this was a malicious song referring to that tragic event.

SkyBlueCRJ

The lad is 19 so still very much in a developmental stage of his career. He’s also getting some decent minutes too so for him, he’s in a good place.

If you’re that concerned with his development, why would you sign a 4th choice CB? Which would definitely relegate him to the U23s...

It’s only worth signing a new CB if he’s better than what we have right now!

Is he getting that many minutes? If you compare Willis' career to Thompson's at 19, Willis had played the best part of around 60-70 games for the club. You only get better if you play week in week out. Not playing in the U23s or playing in the Checkatrade....against other U23 teams.

larry_david

Did anyone see that move last night when 4-2 up. Kelly Central to it, playing 1-2s and then flicking it round corners, to get it back on his chest edge of area. I thought he was lining up a looping volley but sadly kept it sensible and played jones in

eastwoodsdustman

Did anyone see that move last night when 4-2 up. Kelly Central to it, playing 1-2s and then flicking it round corners, to get it back on his chest edge of area. I thought he was lining up a looping volley but sadly kept it sensible and played jones in
It really was liquid football.

Sky Blue Harry H

I agree, this was sung towards the end of the game when we went 4-1 up and Bradford fans next to us in the stand started to leave. I’ve seen it sung at other grounds in the same circumstances. Although it is insensitive, and i’m no defender of some of the things are fans sing, I don’t believe that this was a malicious song referring to that tragic event.

Would think it was this - a lot of the 'kids' don't know the history of what Bradford went through, and as you say, I think this was a 'standard' song for early leavers, rather than anything sinister.

skybluegod

Is he getting that many minutes? If you compare Willis' career to Thompson's at 19, Willis had played the best part of around 60-70 games for the club. You only get better if you play week in week out. Not playing in the U23s or playing in the Checkatrade....against other U23 teams.

No he hadn't? Took him until he was 20 to have made any decent number of appearances in a season. Think he had made 30 by the age of 20? 70 by 21 and then only made 4 the season after due to injury.

NortonSkyBlue

Would think it was this - a lot of the 'kids' don't know the history of what Bradford went through, and as you say, I think this was a 'standard' song for early leavers, rather than anything sinister.
I do hope so, it was very insensitive under any circumstances but I suppose ignorance is the most forgivable.

SkyBlueCRJ

No he hadn't? Took him until he was 20 to have made any decent number of appearances in a season. Think he had made 30 by the age of 20? 70 by 21 and then only made 4 the season after due to injury.

Unless I have my stats wrong.

2012/13 season: 3 apps / 18 years old
2013/14 season: 31 apps / 19 years old
2014/15 season 40 apps / 20 years old

Jordan Thompson also turns 20 this season I believe

skybluegod

Unless I have my stats wrong.

2012/13 season: 3 apps / 18 years old
2013/14 season: 31 apps / 19 years old
2014/15 season 40 apps / 20 years old

Jordan Thompson also turns 20 this season I believe

Okay so he was 20 by August 2014 which makes it 34 appearances. By 21/22 its 75. Born in 1994.
I agree with the point about if he's not getting games he can't improve, but i'm just not sure who we could bring in who would accept being 4th choice.

SkyBlueCRJ

Okay so he was 20 by August 2014 which makes it 34 appearances. By 21/22 its 75. Born in 1994.

You've just managed to skip two years of his career? He was born in August so you can measure his age by the start of every season.

August 2012 - 18
August 2013 - 19
August 2014 - 20
August 2015 - 21 - This is the start of the 2015/16 season where he had the injury hit season and only made 4 apps.

skybluegod

You've just managed to skip two years of his career? He was born in August so you can measure his age by the start of every season.

August 2012 - 18
August 2013 - 19
August 2014 - 20
August 2015 - 21 - This is the start of the 2015/16 season where he had the injury hit season and only made 4 apps.

I didn't skip two years of his career? I just stated his age in August 2014 and how many appearances he had overall by that point? By which point he had made around 35 Appearances? and Then yes like i said he had his injury and so by 22 he had made 75?

I was making the point that he had made 70 appearances by 21 not 19? So Jordan Thompson has 2 years before you can make that comparison.

SkyBlueCRJ

I didn't skip two years of his career? I just stated his age in August 2014 and how many appearances he had overall by that point? By which point he had made around 35 Appearances? and Then yes like i said he had his injury and so by 22 he had made 75?

I was making the point that he had made 70 appearances by 21 not 19? So Jordan Thompson has 2 years before you can make that comparison.

By the end of the 2014/15 season Willis was still 20 years old though and had made 74 apps. He didn't turn 21 until August 2015 - which was the start of the 2015/16 season where he suffered his injury and only made 4 apps - which brought him up to 79ish in total. So, I couldn't care less what he did beyond the 2014/15 season because it's irrelevant to my point as that's past Thompson's current age bracket of 19/20.

But if you align Thompson and Willis' career at their exact ages then I understand your point but like you said Willis gained more game time that Thompson - which still supports my point. But what you're failing to consider is that Willis was a mainstay in the side where he played more or less week in week out with the exception of injuries/rest - hence by the end of the 2014/15 season he'd amassed nearly 75 apps. Plus he had the experience to push on in the 2014/15 campaign to be a mainstay in the side all season by making a further 40 apps on top of his 30-odd to bring him up to that total figure. He wasn't playing the odd game in the JPT. Thompson on the other hand is fourth choice behind 3 hugely talented CBs, all of which who could command a starting spot. Don't forget Thompson isn't far off being 20 so unless we're seriously unlucky with injuries then he isn't going to get anywhere near the game time Willis received at Thompson's age between now and the end of the season. Hence my point that a short-term loan would be a preferential option.

I'm not saying he may as well retire now due to his lack of first team action as a lot can happen in a year though so maybe Thompson will break though. But there is a point can be made that there's a risk of him falling behind other graduates of a similar age. Look at Kyle Finn as a case in point. No game time at CCFC but once loaned out he flourished.

Warwickhunt

Had to think about that one before I realised.

Not on at all really.
i should imagine 70% of the away support were not born when the Bradford Fire took place in 1985 and thought they were singing because the Bradford Fans were leaving Early methinks

skybluegod

By the end of the 2014/15 season Willis was still 20 years old though and had made 74 apps. He didn't turn 21 until August 2015 - which was the start of the 2015/16 season where he suffered his injury and only made 4 apps - which brought him up to 79ish in total. So, I couldn't care less what he did beyond the 2014/15 season because it's irrelevant to my point as that's past Thompson's current age bracket of 19/20.

But if you align Thompson and Willis' career at their exact ages then I understand your point but like you said Willis gained more game time that Thompson - which still supports my point. But what you're failing to consider is that Willis was a mainstay in the side where he played more or less week in week out with the exception of injuries/rest - hence by the end of the 2014/15 season he'd amassed nearly 75 apps. Plus he had the experience to push on in the 2014/15 campaign to be a mainstay in the side all season by making a further 40 apps on top of his 30-odd to bring him up to that total figure. He wasn't playing the odd game in the JPT. Thompson on the other hand is fourth choice behind 3 hugely talented CBs, all of which who could command a starting spot. Don't forget Thompson isn't far off being 20 so unless we're seriously unlucky with injuries then he isn't going to get anywhere near the game time Willis received at Thompson's age between now and the end of the season. Hence my point that a short-term loan would be a preferential option.

I'm not saying he may as well retire now due to his lack of first team action as a lot can happen in a year though so maybe Thompson will break though. But there is a point can be made that there's a risk of him falling behind other graduates of a similar age. Look at Kyle Finn as a case in point. No game time at CCFC but once loaned out he flourished.

I get that but if you are going to discount the experience Thompson has gained, then you ahve remove all of that from Willis too- All of his 3 apperancves in his first season were substitute ones- so minus 3
His second season- three appearances again all substitute. so minus 3
3rd season- he made 23 full appearances including all cups. About 19 without cups. . This is the point Thompson is at in his career. 19 turning 20.
4th season- so as you say when he is 20 turning 21. - is the first season he was a regular first choice. Making 40 appearances

You aren't using a fair assessment, if you discount subs appearances for one you have to do the same for Willis. I agree that Willis had more exposure, but almost the entirety of his first 4 seasons with bus was at RB, not CB like Thompson.

Thompson was loaned out last season and impressed. He impressed in the Checkatrade, and did well against Portsmouth when he came on. However your point about him not getting first team exposure like Willis is invalid, because Willis only got his chance due to injury and lack of form, so Thompson has to be given that chance too imo. Plus if you want to compare the two you have to give him until the end of this season to compare career stats.

I don't think there is a better 4th choice out there, last season proved to us we needed 4 CB's, and I am certain he will be needed at some point.

Otis

Bit odd to sing about a fire drill though.

Can't say I have ever heard that chant before.

As for people not being born then, it's a moot point really, because these things get passed down by word of mouth.

Unless you're saying that all Liverpool fans who sing about the Munich air disaster to Man U fans were born before 1958. ;)

SkyBlueCRJ

I get that but if you are going to discount the experience Thompson has gained, then you ahve remove all of that from Willis too- All of his 3 apperancves in his first season were substitute ones- so minus 3
His second season- three appearances again all substitute. so minus 3
3rd season- he made 23 full appearances including all cups. About 19 without cups. . This is the point Thompson is at in his career. 19 turning 20.
4th season- so as you say when he is 20 turning 21. - is the first season he was a regular first choice. Making 40 appearances

You aren't using a fair assessment, if you discount subs appearances for one you have to do the same for Willis. I agree that Willis had more exposure, but almost the entirety of his first 4 seasons with bus was at RB, not CB like Thompson.

Thompson was loaned out last season and impressed. He impressed in the Checkatrade, and did well against Portsmouth when he came on. However your point about him not getting first team exposure like Willis is invalid, because Willis only got his chance due to injury and lack of form, so Thompson has to be given that chance too imo. Plus if you want to compare the two you have to give him until the end of this season to compare career stats.

I don't think there is a better 4th choice out there, last season proved to us we needed 4 CB's, and I am certain he will be needed at some point.

Again you've agreed with my point without directly agreeing with it. Thompson isn't going to get first team exposure without injuries racking up. It's irrelevant how, why or how fair it was that Willis got his first team minutes because that's been and gone, he's an experienced defender now and probably up there with one of the best in League One because he got that experience under his belt. Plus, and again I reiterate, the experience gained in that breakthrough season allowed him to push on and make 40 apps the following season and become a mainstay in the side. It's a difficult situation to know what to do but for the short term I honestly believe a month loan with a recall option would be beneficial to both player and club. The only stumbling block is the lack of a replacement - which would be difficult to source as like many posters have said. Who's realistically going to come to the club to be a 4th choice CB.

Mucca Mad Boys

At 19, Willis made 31 appearances in a squad that literally had about 20 first team players. Where Jordan Clarke was playing CB... In that sense, he’s lucky to have got the chances he has.

As for Thompson, he’s highly rated, and doesn’t need to be thrust into the first team unnecessarily. He’s good enough to come into the team when needed. Frankly, Robins record at this club speaks for itself. You probably said the same about Hyam last season.

He’s made 5 appearances thus far, only 1 of those coming against an U21 team (who beat us 3-0). The rest have been against senior teams. There’s also plenty of games left to be played, 15 games into a 46 game season, without including FA Cup and Checkatrade games.

skybluegod

Again you've agreed with my point without directly agreeing with it. Thompson isn't going to get first team exposure without injuries racking up. It's irrelevant how, why or how fair it was that Willis got his first team minutes because that's been and gone, he's an experienced defender now and probably up there with one of the best in League One because he got that experience under his belt. Plus, and again I reiterate, the experience gained in that breakthrough season allowed him to push on and make 40 apps the following season and become a mainstay in the side. It's a difficult situation to know what to do but for the short term I honestly believe a month loan with a recall option would be beneficial to both player and club. The only stumbling block is the lack of a replacement - which would be difficult to source as like many posters have said. Who's realistically going to come to the club to be a 4th choice CB.

I have agreed with it. I have said I agree, and of course it matters, as you are saying that you wouldn't trust Thompson if injuries happened, but you are now trusting Willis after he was only thrown in originally after injuries.

As for your point about a loan. Those are no longer the rules, if we were to loan him out it would only be worth it to a League 2 club. However you can no longer recall a player outside of the transfer window. Plus I believe ( but may be wrong on this part) There are no short term loans now? Think it is either 6 months or a year.

ccfchoi87

Bit odd to sing about a fire drill though.

Can't say I have ever heard that chant before.

As for people not being born then, it's a moot point really, because these things get passed down by word of mouth.

Unless you're saying that all Liverpool fans who sing about the Munich air disaster to Man U fans were born before 1958. ;)

Is there a fire drill is often sung when we are winning away from home so that's probably why people haven't heard it!

I didn't think anything of it on Tuesday and clearly the Bradford fans didn't either. Maybe slightly insensitive but there's no issue here at all.

Otis

Is there a fire drill is often sung when we are winning away from home so that's probably why people haven't heard it!

I didn't think anything of it on Tuesday and clearly the Bradford fans didn't either. Maybe slightly insensitive but there's no issue here at all.
Right, cheers.

Would just be sensitive to anyone who remembers the incident at the time.

Awful tragedy.

SkyBlueCRJ

At 19, Willis made 31 appearances in a squad that literally had about 20 first team players. Where Jordan Clarke was playing CB... In that sense, he’s lucky to have got the chances he has.

As for Thompson, he’s highly rated, and doesn’t need to be thrust into the first team unnecessarily. He’s good enough to come into the team when needed. Frankly, Robins record at this club speaks for itself. You probably said the same about Hyam last season.

He’s made 5 appearances thus far, only 1 of those coming against an U21 team (who beat us 3-0). The rest have been against senior teams. There’s also plenty of games left to be played, 15 games into a 46 game season, without including FA Cup and Checkatrade games.

Whilst the majority of what you say is bang on. The situation does feel similar to that of the Ponticelli scenario. The odd appearance/sub appearance isn't going to make him a starter. He needs a run of games for that to materialise and realistically, besides an injury crisis, he's not going to get that at CCFC anytime soon given the quality that is in front of him. I suppose it's a nice problem for the club to have, just not the player.

Users who are viewing this thread