Match Thread Bradford City vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Tuesday 23rd Oct (2 Viewers)

skybluesam66

It's a long season yet so I wouldn't run before we can walk. We haven't had any significant injuries yet, which if history tells us anything is an area where we rarely have much luck. Plus, although in comparison to last season our strength in depth is much improved not all areas are covered as much as I'd like. For instance, if we lose the likes of Chaplin or any of our back line (especially CB) to long term injuries then realistically we'll probably struggle.
we have had quite a few injuries if you count

Andreu/Ogogo/Jones all recovering from long term
Grimmer/Kelly medium term injuries
Biamou - season long

and then several shorter term
Burge/willis/Brown/Hyam/Mason/

+ availability restricted as follows :-
Chaplin availability v portsmouth and not signing from Day 1
Shipley with Ireland

Liquid Gold

I think the whole team is pretty stacked and we could deal with injuries to most players. If Chaplin was injured Hiwula would go up front. Mt only worry would be Burge getting injured as I don't feel O'Brien is up to it. Anybody know how Addai is coming on?

I agree Andreu should be moved on, shame as he came with good reviews but just doesn't fit into our system.

Nick

Administrator
True, but essentially we have three No.9's at the club anyway though so the loss of Biamou didn't particularly phase me at the time in the grand scheme of things. IMO Biamou shouldn't have been starting ahead of JCH anyway so I wouldn't really class him as our No.9 - but then again that's subjective and depends which camp you sit in. We also have Baka in the wings waiting for his chance as MR clearly has his heart set on converting him to a traditional No.9. So, all in all although it's never nice to see a CCFC player suffer serious injury, you can argue we were already overloaded in that position anyway.

What's most concerning to me is the lack of support we have at CB or if we lose the likes of Chaplin as I previously mentioned. Albeit, Thompson is getting rave reviews, but realistically the question of how capable he is starting week in week out at League One level is another matter. Similarly, who fills the 'creative striker' number 10 role if Chaplin gets injured? If it weren't for his injury I would've suggested Andreu as he's previously found success as a No.10, but judging from what I've seen so far from him this season his legs are gone and is probably likely to be moved on in January to make room for others to come in.

We have Willis, Hyam and Davies with Thompson as standby. (Thompson was above McDonald as well at the end of the season / start of this one). Even Grimmer can cover at centre half.

If Chaplin is injured then that's where somebody like Hiwula would go up front.

skybluegod

True, but essentially we have three No.9's at the club anyway though so the loss of Biamou didn't particularly phase me at the time in the grand scheme of things. IMO Biamou shouldn't have been starting ahead of JCH anyway so I wouldn't really class him as our No.9 - but then again that's subjective and depends which camp you sit in. We also have Baka in the wings waiting for his chance as MR clearly has his heart set on converting him to a traditional No.9. So, all in all although it's never nice to see a CCFC player suffer serious injury, you can argue we were already overloaded in that position anyway.

What's most concerning to me is the lack of support we have at CB or if we lose the likes of Chaplin as I previously mentioned. Albeit, Thompson is getting rave reviews, but realistically the question of how capable he is starting week in week out at League One level is another matter. Similarly, who fills the 'creative striker' number 10 role if Chaplin gets injured? If it weren't for his injury I would've suggested Andreu as he's previously found success as a No.10, but judging from what I've seen so far from him this season his legs are gone and is probably likely to be moved on in January to make room for others to come in.

Hiwula, can probably play the role, not the same exact role but could easily be pushed up alongside him, Baka is good with the ball at his feet. You are acting as if we have to play the same exact way no matter what, whereas all that would happen is we would have to adjust.

It's not like you can throw a CB on for 10 mins here and there and they will improve, a CB like Thompson will only get better from playing. I would have no problem with him coming in for a run in the team if need be. Plus if that were to happen it would require two CB injuries to happen, if that were the case, then we would likely dip into the loan market in January.

skybluegod

We have Willis, Hyam and Davies with Thompson as standby. (Thompson was above McDonald as well at the end of the season / start of this one). Even Grimmer can cover at centre half.

Beat me to it!!!

SkyBlueCRJ

we have had quite a few injuries if you count

Andreu/Ogogo/Jones all recovering from long term
Grimmer/Kelly medium term injuries
Biamou - season long

and then several shorter term
Burge/willis/Brown/Hyam/Mason/

+ availability restricted as follows :-
Chaplin availability v portsmouth and not signing from Day 1
Shipley with Ireland

Yes you can argue we haven't had the best of starts on the injury front short term but I'm focusing on long term. You're always going to get knocks and bumps that's part and parcel of sport in general. But last season when we suffered long term injuries to Kelly, Vincenti (before he was awful) Jones and Andreu we suffered in form due to the fact that the squad was so spartan in these positions. For instance, when Jones ruptured his ACL we lacked any real threat from the wings. It's no different to this season really as if we suffered long term/season ending injuries to the likes of Davies and Hyam, it is something MR has to think about come January as I reiterate - the jury is out there of how ready Thompson is to be a starting CB at just 19 years old.

Nick

Administrator
Yes you can argue we haven't had the best of starts on the injury front short term but I'm focusing on long term. You're always going to get knocks and bumps that's part and parcel of sport in general. But last season when we suffered long term injuries to Kelly, Vincenti (before he was awful) Jones and Andreu we suffered in form due to the fact that the squad was so spartan in these positions. For instance, when Jones ruptured his ACL we lacked any real threat from the wings. It's no different to this season really as if we suffered long term/season ending injuries to the likes of Davies and Hyam, it is something MR has to think about come January as I reiterate - the jury is out there of how ready Thompson is to be a starting CB at just 19 years old.

For Thompson to be a starting CB then it would need 2 season ending injuries to our centre halves.

We do also have Grimmer who can play as a centre half if needed as well.

covcity4life

For Thompson to be a starting CB then it would need 2 season ending injuries to our centre halves.

We do also have Grimmer who can play as a centre half if needed as well.

It's not urgent but think we should try to add a 4th cb if possible in january

clint van damme

we're a League one side. We're not going to have 11 replacements as good as the starting 11 to fall back on.
There's probably only 2 or 3 sides in England who can rely on that sort of strength in depth.
Agree about Thompson, wouldn't like to see him thrown in at the deep end but as Nick stated, we would need a pretty horrendous run of injuries for that to happen.

SkyBlueCRJ

Hiwula, can probably play the role, not the same exact role but could easily be pushed up alongside him, Baka is good with the ball at his feet. You are acting as if we have to play the same exact way no matter what, whereas all that would happen is we would have to adjust.

It's not like you can throw a CB on for 10 mins here and there and they will improve, a CB like Thompson will only get better from playing. I would have no problem with him coming in for a run in the team if need be. Plus if that were to happen it would require two CB injuries to happen, if that were the case, then we would likely dip into the loan market in January.

He can although how effective he is, is a bit of an unknown.

We don't have to play the same exact way no matter what but Robins is guilty of having this mindset at times - so if anything I'm just looking at it from his perspective as he's hardly the most creative manager with his tactics.

CB is a completely different ball game to any other position IMO. It's not exactly common you get a player of Thompson's age starting week in week out at CB, unless they are physically beyond their years. Yes young players need their chance but they also need to be physically up to the challenge of coping with the demands on League One football otherwise they're going to get walked all over.

SkyBlueCRJ

we're a League one side. We're not going to have 11 replacements as good as the starting 11 to fall back on.
There's probably only 2 or 3 sides in England who can rely on that sort of strength in depth.
Agree about Thompson, wouldn't like to see him thrown in at the deep end but as Nick stated, we would need a pretty horrendous run of injuries for that to happen.

Of course, clubs in the lower reaches of the EFL sometimes have to rely on luck to spare their key players, as like you said there are few that have the luxury of complete squad depth. But luck is rarely on our side on the injury front, hence why the lack of depth at CB is slightly concerning in my eyes. It's just something I think needs addressing in January, budget permitting of course.

skybluegod

He can although how effective he is, is a bit of an unknown.

We don't have to play the same exact way no matter what but Robins is guilty of having this mindset at times - so if anything I'm just looking at it from his perspective as he's hardly the most creative manager with his tactics.

CB is a completely different ball game to any other position IMO. It's not exactly common you get a player of Thompson's age starting week in week out at CB, unless they are physically beyond their years. Yes young players need their chance but they also need to be physically up to the challenge of coping with the demands on League One football otherwise they're going to get walked all over.

Physically Thompson is very similar to Willis, I wouldn't look to bring in extra cover or you are just blocking the pathway to the first team. I don't see Thompson being walked over.
Joe Gomez, Trent Alexander-Arnold at Liverpool are the perfect examples of young players being given a chance. I trust in Thompson personally, based of a gut feeling, but do understand the point that it would be a risk but as CVD says not like we can have strength in depth in all areas.

SkyBlueCRJ

It was the right decision letting McDonald go in the summer, but it's no secret that MR was looking at bringing in another CB during the window. Obviously his attention clearly had to be focused elsewhere though once Chaplin's availability arose for the 28th time. We'd have to have a pretty shocking bout of luck for us to be down to the bare bones at CB but it's certainly something that could be looked at in January IMO.

pusbccfc

Just watched the goals again. Some of the play from us was fantastic.

The Hiwula goal was a perfect example of how well we tore them apart. It's brilliant. Tackle by Hiwula, Doyle to Chaplin, Chaplin to Hiwula and goal.

We should have scored more.

Liquid Gold

We also have Allissani to come back who is playing well in the Conference by all accounts, Walters in the reserves is a good prospect. Mason I think has shocked people how ready he is for mens football so left back is no worry.

We could always look to bring in better quality or more prospects but I think this is the most complete squad we've had in a long time, maybe even since the PL days.

CovInEssex

We also have Allissani to come back who is playing well in the Conference by all accounts, Walters in the reserves is a good prospect. Mason I think has shocked people how ready he is for mens football so left back is no worry.

We could always look to bring in better quality or more prospects but I think this is the most complete squad we've had in a long time, maybe even since the PL days.

Coleman side 2008 nvr foget rip in piece

SkyBlueCRJ

Physically Thompson is very similar to Willis, I wouldn't look to bring in extra cover or you are just blocking the pathway to the first team. I don't see Thompson being walked over.
Joe Gomez, Trent Alexander-Arnold at Liverpool are the perfect examples of young players being given a chance. I trust in Thompson personally, based of a gut feeling, but do understand the point that it would be a risk but as CVD says not like we can have strength in depth in all areas.

You make a valid point. The only point i'll make in response is that technically both are excellent, plus they have other physical attributes such as speed and agility on their side hence why they've been given that chance. I'd like to see more of Thompson but until I do I can't have the same 'gut feeling' you have about him.

I don't want to see his path to the first team blocked anymore than the next fan but without first team minutes he won't hit the heights that are clearly expected of him. If he's thrown in the deep end it's more than likely he won't perform to the standards required rather than exceed them because at the end of the day not everyone can be a Tom Bayliss. Look at Cian Harries as a case in point. Technically was brilliant but because he wasn't the biggest he did struggle at times when deployed at CB.

Mucca Mad Boys

I'd say we have a good mix of experience. While we all consider Burge and Willis young, both have had years of experience in League 1. Doyle and Brown obvious examples of experience, too.

I'd say we have a good team for a top half, to playoffs finish. The point is that we need a few more pieces to take things to the next level, even if we were to finish in the playoffs and fail to get promoted this season.

This team certainly has a solid foundation to potentially get promoted to Championship in the next 2-3 seasons. Robins is a man who we can trust to get the job done.

Kingokings204

I'd say we have a good team for a top half, to playoffs finish. The point is that we need a few more pieces to take things to the next level, even if we were to finish in the playoffs and fail to get promoted this season.

This team certainly has a solid foundation to potentially get promoted to Championship in the next 2-3 seasons. Robins is a man who we can trust to get the job done.

Yeah exactly. We will go on a bad run at some point also but overall the foundations are in place and we can see a brighter future for the next years ahead for the first time in ages.

What a big playoff final win that was for us. We lose that and where would we of been? Makes all the difference.

Magwitch

We have good cover all over, will be interesting if Robins brings in new blood in January what area in the team does he strengthen. Apart from yesterday’s subs we have a number of youths champing at the bit for their chance and the likes of Westbrooke, Walters, Allassini and Bousma to come in

skybluegod

You make a valid point. The only point i'll make in response is that technically both are excellent, plus they have other physical attributes such as speed and agility on their side hence why they've been given that chance. I'd like to see more of Thompson but until I do I can't have the same 'gut feeling' you have about him.

I don't want to see his path to the first team blocked anymore than the next fan but without first team minutes he won't hit the heights that are clearly expected of him. If he's thrown in the deep end it's more than likely he won't perform to the standards required rather than exceed them because at the end of the day not everyone can be a Tom Bayliss. Look at Cian Harries as a case in point. Technically was brilliant but because he wasn't the biggest he did struggle at times when deployed at CB.

I saw a lot of his game-time from his time at Barrow last season, playing mens football, and he didn't look out of place. Technically (using your example of Cian) he isn't that level, that's why I likened him to Willis, ok technically but physically can handle it. He's strong and he's fast.
I think he could step up if needed, I would expect within the next year he will be pushing strongly to get in the first team.

skybluegod

Hasn't Allissani been injured?

smileycov

Facebook User
I think Bayliss is doing some more of the dirty work. He isn't standing out because he isn't going on runs trying to take on about 7 players (which mostly lead to us being in the shit).
Yea, maybe that’s it. Just looked st him last night and couple of times he just seemed not interested. But yes maybe down to keeping a check on the marauding runs.

skybluegod

Yeah looking back that was a good team. Interestingly our lowest attendance that year was only 14k so people still weren't turning up when sisu were chucking money at the team.

Thought it lacked any real quality up top but defense and midfield was good for the time

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Good result and we seem to be adding some well founded consistency. Only slight negative would be conceding the two goals but its winning that counts. Well done lads keep it up !!!

SkyBlueCRJ

I saw a lot of his game-time from his time at Barrow last season, playing mens football, and he didn't look out of place. Technically (using your example of Cian) he isn't that level, that's why I likened him to Willis, ok technically but physically can handle it. He's strong and he's fast.
I think he could step up if needed, I would expect within the next year he will be pushing strongly to get in the first team.

Perhaps that's the answer then, maybe we need to loan him out from January to either a conference or mid-table League Two side because unless we do have an injury crisis (which fingers crossed we don't) it's highly unlikely he'll get ahead of Willis, Hyam or Davies. Obviously a short-term replacement will have to come in on loan but surely it's better that Thompson gets first team game time rather than stagnate in the U23s.

Johnnythespider

Yea, maybe that’s it. Just looked st him last night and couple of times he just seemed not interested. But yes maybe down to keeping a check on the marauding runs.
Scored a goal, best knee slide all night. We're better with him than without.

skybluegod

Perhaps that's the answer then, maybe we need to loan him out from January to either a conference or mid-table League Two side because unless we do have an injury crisis (which fingers crossed we don't) it's highly unlikely he'll get ahead of Willis, Hyam or Davies. Obviously a short-term replacement will have to come in on loan but surely it's better that Thompson gets first team game time rather than stagnate in the U23s.

Yep agree with that, but only problem is if we bring in someone on loan, would they not be expected to play?

Mucca Mad Boys

we've had more joy from set pieces already this season than in the previous two seasons combined.

This was something we drastically needed to improve on from last season. Set pieces are often the differences in tight games and last season, our impotence from set pieces meant that we didn’t get as much joy against the ‘lesser’ sides than we really ought to have done. Getting an early lead like we have done in the last two away games is crucial.

Both JCH and Hiwula have been very effective so far. I imagine those at the Nii Lamptey Show will be eating their words! They consistently slated Doyle’s set pieces early on!

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

For me, there's no point in signing players for the sake of adding to our depth. We've got quite good depth and all bases are covered so any new signing should be someone who's an upgrade on what we have already. To use CB as an example, a new CB should be good enough to dislodge Davies, Hyam or Willis from the starting XI, so a top-end L1 or Championship quality player. A 4th choice CB is going to make about 5-10 appearances so Thompson is more than good enough, and he coped well defensively at RB v Portsmouth and their left winger Curtis was a good player.

aloisiwouldhavescored

For me, there's no point in signing players for the sake of adding to our depth. We've got quite good depth and all bases are covered so any new signing should be someone who's an upgrade on what we have already. To use CB as an example, a new CB should be good enough to dislodge Davies, Hyam or Willis from the starting XI, so a top-end L1 or Championship quality player. A 4th choice CB is going to make about 5-10 appearances so Thompson is more than good enough, and he coped well defensively at RB v Portsmouth and their left winger Curtis was a good player.
Don't know if I missed it elsewhere but what happened to Willis last night? Injured or sick?

SkyBlueCRJ

A point could be made though that there's equally no point in letting a prodigy such as Thompson rot in the U23s all season. I cannot see him getting ahead of Willis, Hyam or Davies anytime soon so in an ideal world Thompson should be loaned out and a short term replacement should be brought in.

Users who are viewing this thread