Bolton tickets (3 Viewers)

Bugsy

Ah well, I'm at my office tomorrow morning which is opposite the stadium... assuming the ticket office is there and they're on sale I might see if I can get them direct from there.

Can u get me 2 please ...PUSB

chiefdave

Just posted on BWFC website - Update on tickets tomorrow morning.
Club Statement: Coventry City Ticket Update
Going backwards. Gone from onsale at 9am today to an update later today to an update sometime tomorrow morning.

That's not even saying tickets will go on sale tomorrow morning.

So from what we are told they won't allow pay on the day for safety reasons (knowing how many people are going to turn up) and therefore tickets go off sale at 5:30pm on Friday. If they do finally go on sale tomorrow their website had better be up to the job. Can't see people being happy if they're given a very limited opportunity to buy tickets and the website falls over.

topcat

Going backwards. Gone from onsale at 9am today to an update later today to an update sometime tomorrow morning.

That's not even saying tickets will go on sale tomorrow morning.

So from what we are told they won't allow pay on the day for safety reasons (knowing how many people are going to turn up) and therefore tickets go off sale at 5:30pm on Friday. If they do finally go on sale tomorrow their website had better be up to the job. Can't see people being happy if they're given a very limited opportunity to buy tickets and the website falls over.

You couldn't make it up!

Tommo1993

Cash on the day would be carnage, with the amount we’re expecting to take. And would require more staff for them not to pay.

Ricketts

It might well be an issue with Ticketmaster. I would imagine they usually deduct their commission at source. However in this instance the money has to go to the administrator and then Ticketmaster have to join the queue of creditors, for which they will get nothing, or 5p in the £ or something ridiculous.

Bugsy

Sure.... can I interest you in a train ride to the ground with a free bar and unlimited drinks aswell only £25 pp.

Haha, u have yourself a deal sir...

Where do i sign

Jcap

It might well be an issue with Ticketmaster. I would imagine they usually deduct their commission at source. However in this instance the money has to go to the administrator and then Ticketmaster have to join the queue of creditors, for which they will get nothing, or 5p in the £ or something ridiculous.
Some Bolton fans reckon this is the reason for the hold up - Ticketmaster wanting money they're owed

fernandopartridge

That would be the All Ticket FA Cup semi final, rather than a 3rd division game where they have the technology to ensure more people do not get in than seats available

Fair point. The technology doesn't stop everybody turning up en masse at 5 to 3 though does it? Although they can delay kick off times I suppose.

Briles

I read on their forum that ticketmaster are one of the company's they owe money to. They seem to think that might be the Issue

JimmyHillsbeard

Nobody, I just don't see why you would ignore local clubs like Stockport who have been through the mill, and seek to take a club who had no issues but were established non league to the top..i mean Salford don't have the fans/revenue to sustain the financial demands that will be set in league 2 and 1, how will they Wang FFP when it eventually becomes an issue.. Stockport surely was the better option

I genuinely don't care, just an opinion

Stockport’s problems came to a head when a Rugby club bought their ground and squeezed them out. After the franchise rugby club moved on again, Stockport slowly began to recover. The only problem was they had fallen three leagues below the EFL by that point.

CJ_covblaze

CCFC tweet this

People moaning they thought it was about tickets.

That is a pretty poor tweet and out of order on the fans. None of us deserve to be reminded that Stuart Beavon played for us.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Fair point. The technology doesn't stop everybody turning up en masse at 5 to 3 though does it? Although they can delay kick off times I suppose.

I think Hillborough has had an effect, because with all-seater everyone must have a ticket to show where they're meant to be sitting. Before with pay on the gate you paid yer money and a chap pressed a button to let you through the turnstile.

That'd mean you'd have to have a load of pre-printed tickets to hand out on the gate, although with contactless payment etc now the transaction might be quicker (unless the connection is slow and it takes ages to connect to the bank)

vow

What a strange mix of the bizarre and yet familiar that Bolton game was looking back on it:
Bizarre:
Beavon scored!
Tudgay scored!!
Beavon and Tudgay both scored in the same game!!
We scored immediately after their equaliser.
We were winning twice in one game under Russell Slade

Familiar:
Moment of ridiculous defending from Ryan Haynes
Gave away a lead twice
Poorly defended late equaliser

We have a lot to thank Robins for - look at the state of the team then:

• 1Burge
  • 22Sterry
  • 7Clarke
  • 4Turnbull
  • 24Haynes
  • 27Thomas
  • 6Rose
  • 12Reilly
  • 11Reid
  • 16Beavon
  • 20Tudgay
Blimey!

I thought Sterry wasn't too bad though?

Or am I delusional!?

fernandopartridge

There is potential there though it’s a city in its own right and we know they are not going to suck support from United or City but a lot of Mancs locals can’t. get or afford Premiership tickets

It's a city in its own right true but nevertheless has been a hotbed for one of the biggest clubs in the world with the odd City fan thrown in. It isn't somewhere that has a load of people waiting for a team to support. It isn't difficult to get tickets to watch City and not as difficult as it once was for United. They'll pick up some new fans but I can't see them getting averages even into the tens of thousands

vow

sale of tickets halted.................... no reason given yet
giphy.gif

Irish Sky Blue

There was a little known disaster that took place in 1989 that changed things a bit
There was indeed. Wasn't there also a crowd disaster at Bolton pre war?
Just looked on Wikipedia - here it is below. Actually just post war 1946. Unbelievably the game was played.

Burnden Park disaste
The Burnden Park disaster was a human crush that occurred on 9 March 1946 at Burnden Park football stadium, then the home of Bolton Wanderers. The crush resulted in the deaths of 33 people and injuries to hundreds of Bolton fans.[1] It was the deadliest stadium-related disaster in British history until the Ibrox Park disaster in 1971.

Burnden Park disaster

Women and children being passed over the heads of others at the Railway End during the crush
Date
9 March 1946
Location Burnden Park, Bolton, Lancashire, England, UK
Cause Overcrowding of banking terraces causing a stampede
Deaths 33[1]
Non-fatal injuries ca. 400[1]
The match, an FA Cup Sixth Round second-leg tie between Bolton and Stoke City, was allowed to continue, with the game ending goalless. The disaster brought about the Moelwyn Hughes report, which recommended more rigorous control of crowd sizes.

Disaster
It was estimated that the crowd was in excess of 85,000 people.[2] Entrance to the Bolton end of the ground, which had no roof, was from the Manchester Road end only. The disaster happened at the Railway End of the ground where, in common with many other post-war grounds, facilities were rudimentary. The bank was crude, just dirt with odd flagstones for steps.[3]Although there was room towards the Burnden side of the ground, part of the stand had been requisitioned by the Ministry of Supply and it had not yet been returned to normal use following the war. In addition, the turnstiles at the east end of the Railway Embankment which adjoined the Burnden Stand had been closed since 1940.

At the time, fans paid at the turnstiles rather than buy tickets beforehand. As a result, the end became packed and over capacity and it was decided to close the turnstiles at 2:40 pm.[4] This, however, did not stop more people entering the ground, with people climbing in from the railway, climbing over the closed turnstiles and, when a locked gate was opened, entering through it.[5] During the melee and such was the pressure from the railway end, that many fans were inexorably pushed along the side of the pitch, around the far end and eventually right out of the ground, ending up in the car park unable to watch the game.

Shortly after the game started, the crowd began spilling onto the pitch and the game was temporarily stopped as the pitch was cleared. However, at this time, two barriers collapsed and the crowd fell forward, crushing those underneath.[4] The game was restarted but was quickly halted again when a Bolton Borough Police officer came onto the pitch to speak to the referee, George Dutton, to inform him there had been a fatality. He, in turn, called the two captains, Bolton's Harry Hubbick and Stoke's Neil Franklin, together to inform them and the players left the pitch.

The dead and injured were taken from the railway end terrace, with those who had died lain along the touchline and covered in coats. A little under half an hour after leaving the pitch, the game was restarted, with a new sawdust lined touchline separating the players from the corpses. At the end of the first-half, the players immediately changed ends and started the second half. Stanley Matthews was on the Stoke team, and later said he was sickened that the game was allowed to continue.[6]

Aftermath

Moelwyn Hughes's official report recommended more rigorous control of crowd sizes.[7] A conference on the licensing and regulation of sports grounds where it was recommended that, as a voluntary code, local authorities should inspect grounds with a capacity of 10,000 spectators and agreed safety limits should be in place for grounds of more than 25,000 capacity. Turnstiles should mechanically record spectator numbers and grounds should have internal telephone systems.[8]

On 24 August 1946 England and Scotland drew 2–2 in an additional fixture in aid of the Disaster Fund. All tickets to the match at Maine Road, Manchester were sold raising £12,000 (2010: £388,000).[9][10] The Burnden Park disaster was the greatest tragedy in British football history until the Ibrox Park disaster at Rangers' home ground in 1971.

In 1992 a memorial plaque was unveiled at the stadium. In 2000, following the move by Bolton Wanderers to a new ground, the plaque was relocated to the wall of the supermarket which now occupies the site of the tragedy.[11]

Difference between Hilsborough and now is that there is a definite crowd capacity, ie one person one seat. With electronic crowd counters it shouldn’t be too hard to tell when an area of the ground is approaching capacity and divert people. It would be extremely unlikely that we will get any where near 3k at this game. Are Bolton expecting to sell out the home areas? I would be surprised.

skyblue1991

See what the Bolton statement says tomorrow.

I think the game will go ahead and I suspect tickets will be available at some point tomorrow

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Ricketts

There was indeed. Wasn't there also a crowd disaster at Bolton pre war?
Just looked on Wikipedia - here it is below. Actually just post war 1946. Unbelievably the game was played.

Burnden Park disaste
The Burnden Park disaster was a human crush that occurred on 9 March 1946 at Burnden Park football stadium, then the home of Bolton Wanderers. The crush resulted in the deaths of 33 people and injuries to hundreds of Bolton fans.[1] It was the deadliest stadium-related disaster in British history until the Ibrox Park disaster in 1971.

Burnden Park disaster

Women and children being passed over the heads of others at the Railway End during the crush
Date
9 March 1946
Location Burnden Park, Bolton, Lancashire, England, UK
Cause Overcrowding of banking terraces causing a stampede
Deaths 33[1]
Non-fatal injuries ca. 400[1]
The match, an FA Cup Sixth Round second-leg tie between Bolton and Stoke City, was allowed to continue, with the game ending goalless. The disaster brought about the Moelwyn Hughes report, which recommended more rigorous control of crowd sizes.

Disaster
It was estimated that the crowd was in excess of 85,000 people.[2] Entrance to the Bolton end of the ground, which had no roof, was from the Manchester Road end only. The disaster happened at the Railway End of the ground where, in common with many other post-war grounds, facilities were rudimentary. The bank was crude, just dirt with odd flagstones for steps.[3]Although there was room towards the Burnden side of the ground, part of the stand had been requisitioned by the Ministry of Supply and it had not yet been returned to normal use following the war. In addition, the turnstiles at the east end of the Railway Embankment which adjoined the Burnden Stand had been closed since 1940.

At the time, fans paid at the turnstiles rather than buy tickets beforehand. As a result, the end became packed and over capacity and it was decided to close the turnstiles at 2:40 pm.[4] This, however, did not stop more people entering the ground, with people climbing in from the railway, climbing over the closed turnstiles and, when a locked gate was opened, entering through it.[5] During the melee and such was the pressure from the railway end, that many fans were inexorably pushed along the side of the pitch, around the far end and eventually right out of the ground, ending up in the car park unable to watch the game.

Shortly after the game started, the crowd began spilling onto the pitch and the game was temporarily stopped as the pitch was cleared. However, at this time, two barriers collapsed and the crowd fell forward, crushing those underneath.[4] The game was restarted but was quickly halted again when a Bolton Borough Police officer came onto the pitch to speak to the referee, George Dutton, to inform him there had been a fatality. He, in turn, called the two captains, Bolton's Harry Hubbick and Stoke's Neil Franklin, together to inform them and the players left the pitch.

The dead and injured were taken from the railway end terrace, with those who had died lain along the touchline and covered in coats. A little under half an hour after leaving the pitch, the game was restarted, with a new sawdust lined touchline separating the players from the corpses. At the end of the first-half, the players immediately changed ends and started the second half. Stanley Matthews was on the Stoke team, and later said he was sickened that the game was allowed to continue.[6]

Aftermath

Moelwyn Hughes's official report recommended more rigorous control of crowd sizes.[7] A conference on the licensing and regulation of sports grounds where it was recommended that, as a voluntary code, local authorities should inspect grounds with a capacity of 10,000 spectators and agreed safety limits should be in place for grounds of more than 25,000 capacity. Turnstiles should mechanically record spectator numbers and grounds should have internal telephone systems.[8]

On 24 August 1946 England and Scotland drew 2–2 in an additional fixture in aid of the Disaster Fund. All tickets to the match at Maine Road, Manchester were sold raising £12,000 (2010: £388,000).[9][10] The Burnden Park disaster was the greatest tragedy in British football history until the Ibrox Park disaster at Rangers' home ground in 1971.

In 1992 a memorial plaque was unveiled at the stadium. In 2000, following the move by Bolton Wanderers to a new ground, the plaque was relocated to the wall of the supermarket which now occupies the site of the tragedy.[11]

Difference between Hilsborough and now is that there is a definite crowd capacity, ie one person one seat. With electronic crowd counters it shouldn’t be too hard to tell when an area of the ground is approaching capacity and divert people. It would be extremely unlikely that we will get any where near 3k at this game. Are Bolton expecting to sell out the home areas? I would be surprised.

It puts our trivial issues into perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread