Boddy Update (2 Viewers)

MalcSB

We have been consistently clear that we would like to see Coventry City (CCFC) return to the Ricoh Arena. Everyone agrees that it is in the best interests of the supporters, the city and the local community. We have done everything in our power to make this happen and were very close to having an agreement in place which allowed the club to return – and on terms which were attractive to both parties.
The decision of CCFC’s owners not to return the club to the Ricoh is disappointing and we understand the reaction from their fans who were hoping for a different outcome. We share the fans' frustration.
We have read the comments made by representatives of CCFC in recent days and debated whether we wished to lend them any credibility by responding or to get drawn into a public war of words. However, we believe it is important to defend ourselves against the accusations levied at us, and to address and clarify certain points.

No “Indemnity clause”
One point we have remained firm on throughout negotiations is the need to protect ourselves from future further litigious behaviour, directly or indirectly, by CCFC's owners. The fundamental principle being that there should be no further proceedings about the ownership of the Ricoh Arena. The rationale for this is obvious given CCFC owners’ long history of legal action and their publicly stated intent to pursue all legal channels to reverse Wasps’ acquisition of the Ricoh.
However, Wasps did not insist on an indemnity clause as has been claimed – this claim is simply false. In addition, nothing in the agreement would have put CCFC at substantial risk, as has also been claimed.
Wasps have incurred tens of thousands in legal costs in attempting to achieve the best possible outcome for all parties, including Sky Blue fans, which again underlines our keenness to do a deal.
This is not the outcome Wasps were hoping for.

NDA
We believe CCFC owner’s call to waive the NDA is nothing more than a tactic to distract fans. Their implication, that Wasps has something to hide, is defamatory. As they are more than aware, the NDA was signed by several parties who trusted in the enduring integrity and spirit of the agreement for the protection of their commercially sensitive data and of the independent individuals involved. It is misleading to suggest that it is simply up to Wasps to waive the NDA. We see this as nothing more than an attempt to publicly pass on the blame.

Where do we go from here
CCFC's owners have made their decision. Wasps were (and remain) surprised that CCFC owner’s withdrew from negotiations. They have never communicated to us why they withdrew – and we now have to get on with our business. We are only clarifying these points after recent articles in the press and online. We do not propose to give credibility to any other claims or distraction tactics by commenting further at this stage.
As ever, we remain ready and willing to welcome CCFC back to the Ricoh Arena.
I wonder who the “several parties” were who signed the NDA?

MalcSB

That’s a CCFC deadline, why is it a Wasps deadline?

Are you saying if we agreed a deal tomorrow we wouldn’t be allowed back by the EFL? That it’s not worth starting Negotiations for next season?

It’s a dead cat mate. It’s had the exact effect that was intended which is to get fans all excited about how mean Wasps are but it doesn’t make any sense or relevance. He doesn’t say Wasps were told they had to negotiate by then, just that they knew about the deadline. Doesn’t say we told them it was our deadline too.

As Insay, considering in 2014 Wasps and CCFC agreed after the season had started its hardly out of line to assume the EFL deadline doesn’t impact negotiations this time around.

To be clear, you could be right. But so could I. Both are accurate readings of the statement. Hence my frustration at lack of clarity. It’s needless and they don’t do this stuff off the cuff.

(Was it 2014? Was it Wasps then? Seems too long ago. Whoever it was at Sixfields)
It was CCC when we came back from Sixfields. At that precise moment of our return, Councillor Thompson said that there was still a route to stadium ownership for CCFC. A matter of weeks later the sale to wasps was announced, clearly well in to the pipeline when we returned. Our return was probably another sweetener for the deal with wasps.

djr8369

It was CCC when we came back from Sixfields. At that precise moment of our return, Councillor Thompson said that there was still a route to stadium ownership for CCFC. A matter of weeks later the sale to wasps was announced, clearly well in to the pipeline when we returned. Our return was probably another sweetener for the deal with wasps.
The council are the worst party involved IMO

shmmeee

Cheers, I didn't think Wasps had been here that long, but clearly not far off. Where does the time go?

Point is that we can still move back after telling the EFL we are playing away.

Nick

Administrator
You're reading too much into the term protection though, NIck. All they said is an NDA is there to protect commercial interests, which is true. It doesn't mean anything sinister.

Im not on about the NDA though, I mean the indemnity stuff.

I just don't get why Wasps would sit back and get ripped to shreds?

I have thought, could it be that that know the EU stuff has been rejected so Boddy is going on the offensive now? It's then the Wasps side I don't get, they seem to be really struggling.

shmmeee

How much would it cost to crowd fund an actual investigative journalist rather than just getting the sports reporters to copy and paste press releases?

“If someone says it’s raining & another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. Your job is to look out of the f**king window and find out which is true.”

Nick

Administrator
How much would it cost to crowd fund an actual investigative journalist rather than just getting the sports reporters to copy and paste press releases?

“If someone says it’s raining & another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. Your job is to look out of the f**king window and find out which is true.”

Often wondered it. Somebody who wouldn't take any shit off any of them.

I would say Louis Theroux type but he would end up making it funny.

MalcSB

Cheers, I didn't think Wasps had been here that long, but clearly not far off. Where does the time go?

Point is that we can still move back after telling the EFL we are playing away.
Just because we were able to move back in 2014 doesn’t necessarily mean we could do that again. Depends on deal with BCFC, the attitude of the EFL (we are in a higher league and we have now experienced the effect of wasps primacy in terms of rearrangement of fixtures) and in any event would need one side or the other to changes it’s fundamental stance on “legals”, “compensation“, “indemnity”. The last three are probably red lines.

NorthernWisdom

I’ve always said dance with the best devil which has always been them but if the best they can offer now is a picture of a field in WU I’m losing interest
Steady on now!

We don't have the picture yet.

My philosophy has been always let any of them prove by actions, not by rhetoric. It's like managers who talk a good game - who wants that? you want managers who win, even if they're unintelligible in the press conference!

Skybluemichael

Can’t we get the athletic or Tifo football they do good work

shmmeee

Just because we were able to move back in 2014 doesn’t necessarily mean we could do that again. Depends on deal with BCFC, the attitude of the EFL (we are in a higher league and we have now experienced the effect of wasps primacy in terms of rearrangement of fixtures) and in any event would need one side or the other to changes it’s fundamental stance on “legals”, “compensation“, “indemnity”. The last three are probably red lines.

Fair enough. I don't find the idea the EFL would force us to play in Brum when we have a deal ready in Cov credible personally.

Nick

Administrator
Fair enough. I don't find the idea the EFL would force us to play in Brum when we have a deal ready in Cov credible personally.

I guess the EFL can see how likely it is for a deal to be in Cov. Not sure they would have allowed CCFC to decide at the last minute they just didn't fancy it either.

oldfiver

Reeves stated categorically to Waggott that WASPS had no interest in the Ricoh and would not be there

But then he told a similar tale to CRFC that WASPS would not be in Coventry!

Sky Blue Pete

Unless wasps had no intention of agreeing to it. It’s ok saying a deal is ready when dave boddy has said they just ignore deadlines.

MalcSB

I missed out that, when we came back part way through a season before, we didn’t know about wasps and almost certainly ,y had an expectation that there was a chance of owning the Ricoh. That is a very significant difference to the position now.

shmmeee

Unless wasps had no intention of agreeing to it. It’s ok saying a deal is ready when dave boddy has said they just ignore deadlines.

Sorry mate, you've lost me there.

Last season the message from the club was that although we are talking negotiations aren't happening because of legal issues, but should we get a deal we can come back whenever. What's changed?

Boddy's statements don't make sense IMO. Having a hostile negotiating partner never stopped Sisu before. Hell, being a hostile negotiating partner never stopped Sisu before. That's business, you just suck it up.

shmmeee

I missed out that, when we came back part way through a season before, we didn’t know about wasps and almost certainly ,y had an expectation that there was a chance of owning the Ricoh. That is a very significant difference to the position now.

I don't think the EFL would care if we own or rent would they? Just that we play in Cov. That's literally the only opinion they've given throughout this: as long as we are in Cov they're happy. Never said we must own or anything, that would be an insane position for the EFL to take.

shmmeee

Reeves stated categorically to Waggott that WASPS had no interest in the Ricoh and would not be there

But then he told a similar tale to CRFC that WASPS would not be in Coventry!

Not sure you want to pull at the 'but they said they didn't want the Ricoh' thread mate ;)

MalcSB

I don't think the EFL would care if we own or rent would they? Just that we play in Cov. That's literally the only opinion they've given throughout this: as long as we are in Cov they're happy. Never said we must own or anything, that would be an insane position for the EFL to take.
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. It’s different for the club. i can get coming back when you think you might be able to own the stadium, but not if you know you can’t.

Grendel

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. It’s different for the club. i can get coming back when you think you might be able to own the stadium, but not if you know you can’t.

Ask Boddy about his 5 year plan to stay away and rent against returning and renting and go through the cost benefit analysis will you?

SBT

Can’t we get the athletic or Tifo football they do good work

The Athletic ploughed millions in venture capital money into signing up the best writers in the game, and is already laying them off because it's losing cash hand over fist. The CET doesn't have anything close to the resources and never will - hence it throwing up these copy and paste jobs just to get a story up for SEO purposes. Maybe it'll do a deeper dive later this week (although you have to doubt it)

Ring Of Steel

not as much as you’d think

Users who are viewing this thread