Bin Strikes (7 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
I still don't get why the Union aren't being very clear about it all as it doesn't match up with evos issue?

Brighton Sky Blue

Yes Sharon Graham

You know her personally? All I want to know is what Starmer really thinks. As usual though he just sits on the fence and refuses to give his real opinion

Sky Blue Pete

You know her personally? All I want to know is what Starmer really thinks. As usual though he just sits on the fence and refuses to give his real opinion
They should ask him rather than threaten the Labour Party

Don’t know her personally I know the national leaders of my union and they sometimes are deaf to the issues of their members

Grendel

I still don't get why the Union aren't being very clear about it all as it doesn't match up with evos issue?

Of course not. It’s just a few pawns in a sad old unions attempt to regain some political influence and power.

A back to the 80’s attempt and at least Starmer has stood firm against it

Duggins was on a politics show today said they are well paid and he’s not for changing

Sky Blue Pete

Are you suggesting that Unite is under any obligation to continue to make donations to the Labour (sic) party?
Nope I think we are on the same side here. I’m saying I feel that the union are using the individual coventry members for their own political aims. Evo has said they have won some cases with other councils so that might go against what I’m saying.

fernandopartridge

Nope I think we are on the same side here. I’m saying I feel that the union are using the individual coventry members for their own political aims. Evo has said they have won some cases with other councils so that might go against what I’m saying.

Are the two things even linked? Unite were talking about potentially reducing the size of its political donation well before anything happened in Coventry as has been an ongoing debate in Labour affiliated unions for years.

Grendel

Maybe not mate. I may be taking 2 and 2 and getting 5

The Labour Party are distancing themselves from the dispute. The guy on the BBC politics show yesterday was embarrassing.

rob9872

Duggins was on CWR this morning. Initally about the City but then they moved onto the bin strike.

As a Labour stalwart and head of the council he appeared adamant no more movement. Spoke of the 4 day week currently worked and said offered Plymouths terms whatever those are and was perplexed at what was wanted. Worth a listen whether you agree with him or not if you can get it online. He said if they get new grades to enable further increases (assume banded pay?) then it would have to apply across other council functions and that would cost council £30m. He also spoke of not wanting redundancies but didn't rule it out. Can't remember much else and don't want to misquote, but basically said his responsibility was to people of City and not the strikers.

chiefdave

Duggins was on CWR this morning. Initally about the City but then they moved onto the bin strike.

As a Labour stalwart and head of the council he appeared adamant no more movement. Spoke of the 4 day week currently worked and said offered Plymouths terms whatever those are and was perplexed at what was wanted. Worth a listen whether you agree with him or not if you can get it online. He said if they get new grades to enable further increases (assume banded pay?) then it would have to apply across other council functions and that would cost council £30m. He also spoke of not wanting redundancies but didn't rule it out. Can't remember much else and don't want to misquote, but basically said his responsibility was to people of City and not the strikers.
Drivers in Plymouth got a 12.5% rise.

Grendel

Drivers in Plymouth got a 12.5% rise.

Which is not a mandate for a national pay rise in the job. The council need to hold firm - it was also a re-classification of the grade of employment - I suspect if the benefits were offers in terms of the pay rise but the pension perks and other council benefits were withdrawn this also is not acceptable. In the end all these employees could earn far more in the private sector - they choose not to

Grendel

The poor lambs.

The teaching union are pushing now for 8% and I suspect will strike if they do not get it - which they will not. A middle class profession and they want a 8% rise with all the public sector benefits. The government has to be brutal and call their bluff.

shmmeee

The teaching union are pushing now for 8% and I suspect will strike if they do not get it - which they will not. A middle class profession and they want a 8% rise with all the public sector benefits. The government has to be brutal and call their bluff.

Stop being silly

Brighton Sky Blue

I mean I have literally referred to this multiple times and have been on the meetings where this has been discussed.

If you want the truth the union hasn’t got anything like the turnout required to support a strike ballot, at least not in this region. Which actually is just down to rank disorganisation in a good number of schools not even having reps

NorthernWisdom

I mean I have literally referred to this multiple times and have been on the meetings where this has been discussed.

If you want the truth the union hasn’t got anything like the turnout required to support a strike ballot, at least not in this region. Which actually is just down to rank disorganisation in a good number of schools not even having reps
I do however wonder why people join a union not to vote. Surely by joining you're engaged in some way to do so! I mean, even if it's voting against strike action, at least vote!

Marty

I do however wonder why people join a union not to vote. Surely by joining you're engaged in some way to do so! I mean, even if it's voting against strike action, at least vote!

For the protection they offer.

fernandopartridge

Why is he trying to imply that the strikers are not also people of the city?

Evo1883

Did you hear the disparaging way he said Coventry? Fk me he's not done well there and I'm not even a supporter of his, if I was I think I'd be furious.

Ofcourse I heard it , nobody is happy with that , but it's not a shock is it

Users who are viewing this thread