Bin Strikes (3 Viewers)

shmmeee

I didn't bite, but as you've gone in again with a personal dig, then yes. It's not a skilled job, it doesn't say anything about the people doing it, but there are no skills required so it pays market forces. When there aren't people willing to do it wages will increase, until then move on if its not suitable, but why should residents suffer for selfishness?

And the market forces are pushing for higher wages. Why shouldn’t they? If the council think it’s worth risking service or even sacking everyone and rehiring they’re welcome to.

Asking for a decent wage isn’t selfish. Using whatever tools you have to negotiate that is exactly those market forces you’re worshipping. The labour market.

chiefdave

It's not a skilled job, it doesn't say anything about the people doing it, but there are no skills required so it pays market forces. When there aren't people willing to do it wages will increase, until then move on if its not suitable, but why should residents suffer for selfishness?
Isn't that the whole point. There's a massive shortage of HGV drivers and wages have increased.

If all the HGV drivers leave given the shortage and low wages who would take the job?

rob9872

HGV drivers are skilled, so there are others who will pay more, leave and work for them. Rolling bins to the back of a truck, not so much.

Leaving residents with rubbish that they're paying to be moved is wrong.

Grendel

I never understand the 'I haven't had a pay rise so nobody should get one' idea. If bills are going up shouldn't we be pushing for everyone to get pay rises?

Oddly as that creates catastrophic wage inflation

rob9872

Trust the daily mail reader to hate the working class
Never read the mail, not in L&W supporters, bit let's not let the truth get in the way of a tabloid headline. I think we know who the mail readers really are ;)

rob9872

Rob , probably on way more money than me , telling me why I'm not worth more money ..

On yer bike lad

I didn't say you weren't worth more, I said market forces will dictate your rate, not holding a gun to someone's head. There are other jobs out there, if you're not happy with what you get for what you do then move ascwecall have to.

Unions dragging us back to the 70s

clint van damme

Never read the mail, not in L&W supporters, bit let's not let the truth get in the way of a tabloid headline. I think we know who the mail readers really are ;)

Not denying the hating the working class bit!

Low blow admittedly but your general tone on this thread doesn't come across well to be honest.

Evo1883

I didn't say you weren't worth more, I said market forces will dictate your rate, not holding a gun to someone's head. There are other jobs out there, if you're not happy with what you get for what you do then move ascwecall have to.

And the market has determined my wage to be more than what I get .. hence the strike action .

Cheers

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah how dare workers combine to collectively improve working conditions

rob9872

Not denying the hating the working class bit!

Low blow admittedly but your general tone on this thread doesn't come across well to be honest.
I'm working class ffs, nothing wrong with striving to do better and not expecting someone else to do it for you.

If it helps my ancestors are fruit and veg marketeers, my my mum was a hairdresser. Am I allowed in now?

Evo1883

I'm working class ffs, nothing wrong with striving to do better and not expecting someone else to do it for you.

If it helps my ancestors are fruit and veg marketeers, my my mum was a hairdresser. Am I allowed in now?

Then you should be fully behind low paid workers demanding to be paid fairly .. it's as simple as that and the last thing I will say on the matter on this forum

rob9872

And the market has determined my wage to be more than what I get .. hence the strike action .

Cheers
The private market has. You're not in the private market. You could be, move jobs get better pay. Nobody is denying you that. If people won't work for the council rates they'll increase, until then fo the job you're paid to do. You have a contract, I assume how pissed off would you be if they didn't honour their side and paid you late, less or not at all?

Brighton Sky Blue

The private market has. You're not in the private market. You could be, move jobs get better pay. Nobody is denying you that. If people won't work for the council rates they'll increase, until then fo the job you're paid to do. You have a contract, I assume how pissed off would you be if they didn't honour their side and paid you late, less or not at all?

‘Just get a better paid job’

Why has nobody thought of that?

clint van damme

No!!

Evo1883

I can't drop it 🤣🤣

Birmingham Council, NOT private , have just been awarded a pay rise to over 9000 my rate and get 4.50 a day food allowance, so tell me how my little niche market doesn't determine my wage when I've just SHOWN you it does ?

For the same job too

rob9872

I can't drop it 🤣🤣

Birmingham Council, NOT private , have just been awarded a pay rise to over 9000 my rate and get 4.50 a day food allowance, so tell me how my little niche market doesn't determine my wage when I've just SHOWN you it does ?

For the same job too
Work for Birmingham then!

rob9872

It's like talking to my 9 year old daughter

Hi birmingham , got a job ?

None available , cheers

Now what

Of course tthere's none available, they pay more! That's the point.

If Aldi paid more than Tesco can an employee ask his store manager to pay him more? They can, but if the answer is no then their choice is lump it or apply to go and work for Aldi.

Brighton Sky Blue

If Aldi paid more than Tesco can an employee ask his store manager to pay him more? They can, but if the answer is no then their choice is lump it or apply to go and work for Aldi.

Or alternatively join a union and attempt to bargain for a better deal as is their statutory right-despite the efforts of a certain party to dismantle these

Evo1883

Sound , then don't moan when workers are trying to be paid fairly for the job they do , to be paid the rate they deserve to match their comrades doing to same job for other local authorities ..

Your Input here has been sadly dreadful , besides you don't live in Coventry? I should have skipped your opinion from the get go tbh ..it's meaningless

rob9872

Sound , then don't moan when workers are trying to be paid fairly for the job they do , to be paid the rate they deserve to match their comrades doing to same job for other local authorities ..

Your Input here has been sadly dreadful , besides you don't live in Coventry? I should have skipped your opinion from the get go tbh ..it's meaningless
It was a general point to striking, I don't live in Cov any more no, but that doesn’t invalidate my opinion.

Comrades? Are we in the USSR?

Grendel

clint van damme

Very circular argument, but again at the expense of the residents not getting the service they are paying for.

Do you think we got the service we were paying for when Matt Hancock was giving multi million pound PPE contracts to the barman of his local?

Because without looking, and I'll apologise if I'm wrong, but I bet you've been more critical of this binman strike than about that daylight robbery.

TomRad85

All I'm taking from this is bin men is brum get over 30k. Must live like Kings on that in brum.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread