Big sky blue news tomorrow (1 Viewer)

peaches and cream

Pretty sure primacy is an EFL requirement, its in the regulations somewhere. Think an exception was made in the past due to the circumstances we moved back in but would the EFL allow that over a longer term. Especially in the Championship, can't imagine Sky would be happy to be told they can't show a live game they've selected because it doesn't suit Wasps.

Other teams share without it being an issue so hopefully will be a non-issue for us.
EFL cannot enforce their regulations on a team from outside their organisation unless both teams are under the same ownership such Bristol or the football club owns the ground. In this case what Sky wants is irrelevant as Wasps are tied into contractual agreements with BT Sports through the PRL . If Wasps have agreed to give CCFC primacy as part of the deal then that's completely different.

Briles

Would just be our luck to get back to the Ricoh after being relegated

Nick

Administrator
EFL cannot enforce their regulations on a team from outside their organisation unless both teams are under the same ownership such Bristol or the football club owns the ground. In this case what Sky wants is irrelevant as Wasps are tied into contractual agreements with BT Sports through the PRL . If Wasps have agreed to give CCFC primacy as part of the deal then that's completely different.

No but they can disapprove the move back based on it.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Great news purely on a matter of principle that the club should play in the its own city in the ground built specifically for it.

Bad news as the wasps franchise is here to stay.

All the finer details can fuck off as the arguments have been done to death for years & the actual facts will always be disguised & distorted by both sides to suit anyhow.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

I hope we’ve got primacy, can’t be dealing with Sunday games all the time
Surely we should be happy just to be back in COVENTRY. Please just let's see what agreement the 2 sides have come to all we want is a decent pitch to play football on. The primacy bit and Sunday don't think we can dictate that and don't remember playing an excessive amount last time.

Colin Steins Smile

Pragmatism from both sides must have prevailed with a deal that has benefits for both sides.

For Wasps, the EU Commission issue is no longer a blockage and increased footfall through the Ricoh, obviously leads to greater direct revenues and secondly spend revenues.
For CCFC the prospects of increased revenues from improved attendances and hopefully, increased indirect revenues from car park and F&B, plus a level of security of tenure.

There are some other question marks over this welcome move. Those being what does this mean for the proposed Warwick Univ stadium? Does 10 years provide a suitable timeline to raise the funding, secure planning and the build process? Alternatively, it also allows time for the Wasps financial plan to unravel with the bond needing to be refinanced at some point.

Finally, given the rumoured 10 year deal is this part of SISU's exit strategy?

Sbarcher

Firtst home game next season in the Championship at the Ricoh - Sunderland. Now that will bring in a bumper crowd - tasty.

Frostie

Pretty sure primacy is an EFL requirement, its in the regulations somewhere. Think an exception was made in the past due to the circumstances we moved back in but would the EFL allow that over a longer term. Especially in the Championship, can't imagine Sky would be happy to be told they can't show a live game they've selected because it doesn't suit Wasps.

Other teams share without it being an issue so hopefully will be a non-issue for us.

Yep that's right. I believe they made an exception before because we moved back mid season so fixtures already set etc.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Last time it was announced we were going back to the ricoh from sixfields, I got so giddy I lumped my entire betfair account on us going up that season.........:eek::eek:

...they do say its a mugs game:ROFLMAO:

Liquid Gold

I hope the deal gives us the oppportunity to make it feel like home. We can’t be dealing with it being a rugby stadium that we use for two hours during which time their branding is completely in our face and their stewards do their best to ruin the atmosphere. We should have the whole site for the whole day and be able to put on fan zones and everything.

When we movedMR said we’ve gone from a stadium we rent where we’re not made to feel welcome to a stadium we rent where we are made to feel welcome. That needs to change completely.

With the fixtures other clubs that share just play on opposite weekends. It’s simple enough to arrange then any TV games can fit in. Can give us the whole weekend on site then. It could easily have been done before but Wasps were clearly just throwing their weight around.

peaches and cream

No but they can disapprove the move back based on it.
If CCFC haven't got primacy (and we don't know that they haven't) the EFL may not be happy about it but you know as well as I do they won't appose the move back. Just like most sports organisations they only try to enforce their regulations when it suits them

SBT

OK the only new thing is potentially the EFL meeting and maybe the announcement tomorrow? I didn't know if more was said as I have seen somebody on social media say about club shop etc too.

The 7 year minimum/10 year maximum term, and the EC action no longer being material for Wasps is all huge news, and I hadn’t seen it anywhere else.

Everyone’s sources are the same if you move far enough along the chain, but this seems like a genuine scoop for Gilbert which is why we’re all talking about it.

peaches and cream

Yep that's right. I believe they made an exception before because we moved back mid season so fixtures already set etc.
Not sure what is so hard to understand about this, the EFL cannot enforce their regulations on a stadium owner and their team that plays a completely different sport for a different organisation. As for "they made an exception last time" they had no choice as the team that is part of there organisation was a tenant that had use of a stadium as and when the owners weren't using it. this time around it might be different Wasps may well have agreed primacy as part of the deal but if they haven't the EFL cannot enforce it.

mark82

I have a feeling somebody is purposely pushing the information out to stop anybody from pulling out.

Not the case. Though there is clearly a...
giphy.gif

Liquid Gold

Not sure what is so hard to understand about this, the EFL cannot enforce their regulations on a stadium owner and their team that plays a completely different sport for a different organisation. As for "they made an exception last time" they had no choice as the team that is part of there organisation was a tenant that had use of a stadium as and when the owners weren't using it. this time around it might be different Wasps may well have agreed primacy as part of the deal but if they haven't the EFL cannot enforce it.
Not sure what’s so hard to understand that it’s exactly the same situation at every other stadium with clubs sharing and it works fine there. Play on opposite weekends.

SBT

Also absolutely understandable the pre/post match stuff will be missed by those who incorporated it into their match day routine. I have a decent pre Ricoh routine (nice pub for ale/lunch then a nice walk to the ground), but it’s nothing compared to Digbeth.

So it’s fine to celebrate Coventry having its team back, but thoughts and prayers for those who secretly preferred a day on the piss in Birmingham instead? Bizarre.

peaches and cream

Not sure what’s so hard to understand that it’s exactly the same situation at every other stadium with clubs sharing and it works fine there. Play on opposite weekends.
I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to point out that the EFL cannot dictate when Wasps can and can't play in the stadium. absolutely no reason why the fixture list can't be done to accommodate both teams but as we saw last time there will be fixture clashes because both the PRL & EFL will compile their fixtures independently. If its not made public who has primacy it will become obvious very quickly when the fixtures are released as the secondary club will have move theirs. common sense would say if four fixtures clash move two each but when has common sense prevailed between Wasps and SISU

Nick

Administrator
The 7 year minimum/10 year maximum term, and the EC action no longer being material for Wasps is all huge news, and I hadn’t seen it anywhere else.

Everyone’s sources are the same if you move far enough along the chain, but this seems like a genuine scoop for Gilbert which is why we’re all talking about it.

We knew they were talking.
Wasps previously said they wouldn't talk if the EC action was there.
That bit is obvious :)

The lease term is new though.
Also the stuff about branding / club shop etc if that's been confirmed as I didn't hear that?

Frostie

Well no, of course they can't & the EFL rarely enforce their own 'guidelines' anyway just stating what was said previously.

Of course primacy for the football club was agreed as part of the initial set of terms for Wasps move by the council, not that any of them were kept to anyway.

peaches and cream

Well no, of course they can't & the EFL rarely enforce their own 'guidelines' anyway just stating what was said previously.

Of course primacy for the football club was agreed as part of the initial set of terms for Wasps move by the council, not that any of them were kept to anyway.
Genuine question, primacy was agreed for the football club as part of the terms when CCC sold to Wasps was this before the move to Northampton?

Terry Gibson's perm

Just had a quick look on the drunken site and only one person has commented must be flag waving practice day today so they are a bit busy 😉

Frostie

Genuine question, primacy was agreed for the football club as part of the terms when CCC sold to Wasps was this before the move to Northampton?

After.
Can you not remember when you moved here?

You know, along with:

"Wasps' relocation to the Midlands would be purely for matches - and will not come into conflict with the academy systems run by the neighbouring professional clubs"

"This deal would not have happened if it threatened the future of the Sky Blues or Coventry Rugby Club."

Not to mention the promises from Wasps to invest in the local area etc.

peaches and cream

chiefdave

I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to point out that the EFL cannot dictate when Wasps can and can't play in the stadium. absolutely no reason why the fixture list can't be done to accommodate both teams but as we saw last time there will be fixture clashes because both the PRL & EFL will compile their fixtures independently. If its not made public who has primacy it will become obvious very quickly when the fixtures are released as the secondary club will have move theirs. common sense would say if four fixtures clash move two each but when has common sense prevailed between Wasps and SISU
But the EFL can say they won't authorise a groundshare if CCFC don't have primacy. We all know that is unlikely as the EFL aren't great at enforcing the rules but its not correct to say it cannot happen.
EFL said:
13.4.1 the playing of any of the Club’s first team matches will always take precedence over the activities of the other party to the agreement;

13.4.2 the Club shall have the ability to postpone other activities scheduled to take place on the pitch in the immediately preceding 48 hour period where in the opinion of the Club, acting reasonably, there is a risk that such activity may result in the subsequent postponement or abandonment of a match to be played under the auspices of The League; and

13.4.3 where a sport other than football will be played on the pitch the playing surface shall be a hybrid (i.e. Desso or equivalent) construction, the specification of which shall be subject to the prior approval of the League. For the avoidance of doubt, the requirements of this Regulation 13.4.3 will apply to all existing ground share agreements with effect from 1 July 2019.

Guidance

Clubs must have primacy of fixture and show the ability to postpone any other activity on the pitch on 48 hours’ notice.
As you say if everyone acts like adults this shouldn't be an issue but that wasn't the case last time round when we had multiple games moved, something which I would suggest may well have impacted the attendance at those games. Fingers crossed we don't get treated like second class citizens if the news of a return is true.

Users who are viewing this thread