Bidwell (2 Viewers)

slowpoke

This will be an on going debate Kane or Dabo but this is a division higher and the opposition tougher and in the main better organised bit of a dilemma for Robins a nice one I suppose. Dabo has shown us a bit of versatility playing across the back five.

stupot07

How on earth can people say he’s better defensively than Maatsan? He’s played a game and a half and already produced the worst bit of defending I’ve seen all season.

Not writing him off but can’t see what you lot have seen to suggest he’s a better defender than Maatsan yet.
How on earth can people say he’s better defensively than Maatsan? He’s played a game and a half and already produced the worst bit of defending I’ve seen all season.

Not writing him off but can’t see what you lot have seen to suggest he’s a better defender than Maatsan yet.
If you think that's the worst bit of defending you've seen all season, I'd suggest re-watching back the Luton away highlights.

shmmeee

We seem to have two balanced options on each side now. One defensive with good delivery, one with a bit of pace and skill. Nice problem to have.

Edit: and a third playing out of position and a fourth signed last season and miles off the first team.

Sky Blue Harry H

Either Dabo hasn’t been fit since his injury in L1, or he’s not stepped up like many thought he would.

I think it's the former. Just hoping that whatever that injury was hasn't had a permanent effect. Part of what Dabo was always clever at was luring in a challenge, but somehow wriggling past the defender. Not sure he ever had a lot of pace, but for me it has been apparent he has been playing within himself/managing his game, pretty much since the injury.

harvey098

If you think that's the worst bit of defending you've seen all season, I'd suggest re-watching back the Luton away highlights.

Haha true there was a lot of bad defending in that game obviously but no individual piece of defending was as bad as whatever Bidwell was doing against QPR. Hopefully put it down to rustiness but just bizarre.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Surprised peoples comments about Dabo, yes hes been poor this season, but last year he was one of our main attacking outlets.

I might be misremembering the latter part of the season but I remember for a fairly significant part after his comeback from injury he was pretty dreadful. A game against Reading stands out as a particular low point. I recall being really surprised about how our of place he looked in the Championship. I think he only started about half the games and don’t think he got a single assist so saying he was one of our main attacking outlet might be a bit of a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilclines curly mullet

Kane or Dabo

There really is no debate - Kane is by far the better all round player as demonstrated by his stats this season. His defending is solid and his attacking threat from wing back is as good as anyone’s in this league.

Dabo has been a great servant and as served us well (we have also been good for him) but football moves on and as you go up the leagues you need better players or those that can continually step up (Godden /Hyam etc). For me, Dabo has not stepped up enough over the past season and a half which is why Kane was bought in.

Dabo for me is now a good squad player but not first choice.

Gibbo

Well, he'll be an upgrade on all of them next season, when they're not at the club. Less loans means less worrying whether we can match like-with-like the following season.
Wrong.

Loans are an absolutely essential part of the mix. Usually among the best players in the team and freshen up the squad. They are also a flexible & low risk source with potential for long term recruitment (O'Hare, Sheaf, Gyokeres). We needed all 5 last season to stay up - James did us a great job. I think majority opinion would like us to hang onto C-S. An ex-loanee fits in more easily than a new player and they are good for positions that are tricky to fill - like leftsided ones.

Anyway, the longevity of contracted players is considerably over-exagerated. The current players regularly featuring - by years. In brackets - first team regulars.

5 (1)Kelly & Shipley (both barely featuring) and Hyam
4 (0) None
3 (4) Allen, McFadz O'Hare (loan) , Godden, Dabo, Rose, Wilson
2 (3) Gyokeres (loan), Hamer, Sheaf (loan), Eccles, [Walker]
1 (6) Moore, Bidwell, Kane, Clarke-Salter (loan), Maatsen (loan), Waghorn (assuming he was fit),

11/21 recruited in the last 2 years. And it's not just because our promotions have demanded a lot of upgrades. This level of turnover is essential to keep afloat.

Fans want continuity and new players at the same time. Discuss.

NorthernWisdom

Wrong.

Loans are an absolutely essential part of the mix. Usually among the best players in the team and freshen up the squad. They are also a flexible & low risk source with potential for long term recruitment (O'Hare, Sheaf, Gyokeres). We needed all 5 last season to stay up - James did us a great job. I think majority opinion would like us to hang onto C-S. An ex-loanee fits in more easily than a new player and they are good for positions that are tricky to fill - like leftsided ones.

Anyway, the longevity of contracted players is considerably over-exagerated. The current players regularly featuring - by years. In brackets - first team regulars.

4 (0) None
1 (6) Moore, Bidwell, Kane, Clarke-Salter (loan), Maatsen (loan), Waghorn (assuming he was fit),

11/21 recruited in the last 2 years. And it's not just because our promotions have demanded a lot of upgrades. This level of turnover is essential to keep afloat.

We're in control of what happens to the permanent contracts at the end of the season. Ergo, we can guarantee we have a player for that position of a certain level, that we can choose to try and upgrade... or not.

As opposed to starting with nowt, nada, zip, zilch.

Hertsccfc

Wrong.

4 (0) None

Interesting and fair points.

The nature of loans we have had in recent years has changed substantialy, partly because of the change in the rules meaning that they are either half season or full season. A few good quality longer term loans can be a great addition to the squad as has happened recently. Trying to cover multiple positions with a succession of short term loans of questionable quality didn't work at all and was in fact integral to our fall to League 2.

stupot07

oN Bidwell: He may be pemanent, but is he an upgrade on the three loans, Sam Mac, Ryan Giles and Maatsen? Unlikely.
Why is it unlikely? He has over 300 games in the championship, 450 games in total and still in his prime, whilst there will be elements those players may be better than him of course he is an upgrade on Sam Mac, Giles and Maatsen. He has proven championship quality. They may develop in time into much better players like Van Aarnholt, Henderson, etc, but they may also decline like Sterry, Bright, etc

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

stupot07

4 (0) None

4 (0) None
3 (6) Allen, McFadz O'Hare (loan) , Godden, Dabo, Rose, Wilson

Out of those the only ones that aren't regular first teamers are Kelly, Shipley, Wilson and the recently returned from injury Eccles and Wilson is a back up keeper so you would expect not to play much.

Hertsccfc

Why is it unlikely? He has over 300 games in the championship, 450 games in total and still in his prime, whilst there will be elements those players may be better than him of course he is an upgrade on Sam Mac, Giles and Maatsen. He has proven championship quality. They may develop in time into much better players like Van Aarnholt, Henderson, etc, but they may also decline like Sterry, Bright, etc

Agree but I think it is unlikely McCallum and Maatsen won't play at a higher level. Possibly even Giles.

Skybluedownunder

Reminds of Chris Stokes. In a good way. Solid and dependable. Think he will improve offensively once he settles in. Also last night was generally a very risk averse line up for the first hour.

You rated Chris Stokes? I personally didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry_dactyl

Google Chris Marsden Billy Wright
Just caught up with this. Rule number one don’t disrespect a club legend - especially infront of the owner/anyone else.
No excuse but I guess he may have some regrets about his under the influence behaviour?
Reminded me of this story. I suspect Ronaldo couldn’t give a shit about his actions…

Users who are viewing this thread