Bidwell (2 Viewers)

cc84cov

Early days but what’s everyone’s thoughts ? Do we see Maatsen coming back in once fit ?

eastwoodsdustman

I thinks hes more solid defensively and put a couple of decent crosses in yesterday. Give it another couple of games and i think/hope he gets up to full speed and fitness.

Sky Blue Pete

I was impressed with his defensive awareness yesterday, especially in the second half. He doesn’t go chasing the ball and he knows his job. I think we are maybe too harsh with our own players. I expect him to improve going forward as he works out when he can bomb on and when he can’t or will get caught out

Terry_dactyl

Seems to have slotted in with a minimum of fuss. Possibly what you want from a defender. Looks mobile and solid.
Think it was him that put a fantastic ball across the box in the 2nd half…although the commentary said it was Shipley.
Definitely made a lovely chip forward to Gyo in the first half.
A promising, if uneventful,start.

My favourite comment was during the match thread…”looks like Todd Kane’s crack dealer”! 🤣🤣🤣
Was it @Esoterica ?

stevefloyd

Seems to have slotted in with a minimum of fuss. Possibly what you want from a defender. Looks mobile and solid.
Think it was him that put a fantastic ball across the box in the 2nd half…although the commentary said it was Shipley.

My favourite comment was during the match thread…”looks like Todd Kane’s crack dealer”! 🤣🤣🤣
Was it @Esoterica ?
To be fair its a wonder the commentary team never said it was Maatsen that crossed it

djr8369

Looks like he’ll be solid and reliable. Probably more solid defensively than Ian but without the same attacking flair. Him and Kane seem quite similar players and will work well. Not fully match fit yet and, like Eccles last night, wasn’t always sure if his team mates wanted him to come short or make the run but that will come as he beds into the squad.

SBAndy

Looked like early on he was going a bit too direct. Had a stoppage in play and Viveash pulled him to one side, and we started playing a bit more.

shmmeee

Not massively impressed yet, will withhold judgement until he’s had a few weeks to bed in. On current showing I’d put Maatsen straight back in.

shmmeee

I thought defensive he was more secure than anyone since before mason

Really? I thought he failed to get near his man a lot last night and was at fault for QPRs winner. Cos of where I sit it’s harder to tell second half so maybe I missed some stuff.

stupot07

Looks far better defensively than Maatsen, and put in a great ball. Kept nice a wide too, Maatsen has a tendency to drift infield a lot. I wouldn't mind having a look at Maatsen as one of the 2 two attacking midfielders in the box.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

SBT

He’s not getting forward enough at the minute, but I assume that will change as he gets used to the system. I think he’s the backup for Maatsen until the end of the season anyway.

skybluegod

He’s not getting forward enough at the minute, but I assume that will change as he gets used to the system. I think he’s the backup for Maatsen until the end of the season anyway.

I think it will be 50/50 at least. Don't see the point in giving a 28 year old a 3 year 1/2 deal if he's not going to be an important player. Think they'll be picked on a game by game basis based on the opponent.

cc84cov

Looks more defence minded doesn’t he but I think as he adjusts to our set up we will see him pushing higher etc

PVA

Thought he did fine and looked infinitely more solid there than Kane or Dabo.

Will be a good battle between him at Maatsen for the shirt.

CovBrummie94

Very solid last night and will be great competition for Maatsen moving forward. Expect him to be first choice next season given his 3-year deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyBlueTam

Todd Kane didn't show up particularly well for his first few games, now I'd have him in over Dabo, So I’d give Jake Bidwell time to settle. Stoke were severely restricted as an attacking force last night.

Skyblueweeman

Give him time.

There were loads writing him off after the QPR game at the weekend but now there seems to be a number are coming round to him more.

Didn't Matty James get off to a slow start with many claiming he was rubbish?

Patience :)

Sky Blue Pete

Really? I thought he failed to get near his man a lot last night and was at fault for QPRs winner. Cos of where I sit it’s harder to tell second half so maybe I missed some stuff.
First half I agree but second half at our end he kept choosing the right man to cover and organised shipley and sheaf and Waghorn when they attacked down the right. I am a little too enthusiastic

SAJ

Not massively impressed yet, will withhold judgement until he’s had a few weeks to bed in. On current showing I’d put Maatsen straight back in.
I wouldn’t. To me Maatsen is better going forward. Bidwell’s positioning is better. We have been ripped to pieces on the left numerous times when Maatsen and JCS play together as the more experienced teams exploit that weakness. Last night both of them started to build a good relationship. Middlesbrough is going to be a tough match and I expect them to focus on our left and it inexperience if Maatsen comes straight back in. Have him on the bench, he’s obviously not 100% fit as he wasn’t even included on the bench last night.

Bertola

He impressed me with how much he was talking throughout the second half last night (may have been the same in the first, but the second half he was right in front of where I sit, so it was more noticeable)

I think Adi and Robins have both mentioned that we're quite quiet at the back apart from McFadz, so this was encouraging to see.

He seemed to be quite happy to sit in when JCS marauded forward too. In some ways, this hindered JCS as he had no option, whereas Maatsen is usually available to him to pass forward, but it also showed a bit of maturity as he was in place to stop the break if Stoke won the ball back

Esoterica

Was it @Esoterica ?
Would like to think I'm the first person to quote Angela Lansbury on a match thread too.

blunted

Think the management will choose either Bidwell and Maa depending on the opposition and then use the other as a sub depending on how the game is going, if we need a better attacking threat or defensive solidity.

junglej13

Reminds of Chris Stokes. In a good way. Solid and dependable. Think he will improve offensively once he settles in. Also last night was generally a very risk averse line up for the first hour.

SleepyGinger

He didn’t get close enough to the crosser a few times for me yesterday but I think he’ll come good. He’s got to the play offs in 3 out of 6 seasons at this level he’s no mug.

nunchuckas

I can see us starting Bidwell, and then going down the League 1 promotion season route with the use of subs - keep it solid for 60 mins, then bring on Maatsen as an injection of pace after 60 mins or so.

CDK

Quality addition and will get better the more he plays.Next season it will be great to have a regular player in that position and if we can get JCS on a permanent in the summer and keep Fadz that will be a statement of intent.

Users who are viewing this thread